Yoga Monday

by Meghann on February 16, 2009

I have discovered Monday is the best day of the week to practice yoga. After an eventful on-the-go weekend filled with nice challenging runs, yoga is the perfect way to let my body unwind and prepare for the long week ahead.

Yoga is also a nice way to wake myself up in the morning. I have my 2nd run with Team in Training this evening and needed a nice gentle way to start my way.

I am becoming obsessed with the free yogadownload.com podcasts on Itunes and tried the Core Yoga #1. It was an advanced intermediate course and definitely a challenge! But, boy do my abs feel worked! I give it a big thumbs up as I have every yogoadownload.com podcast I have tried. πŸ™‚

Oh breakfast cereal, how I always miss you on the weekends!!

DSCN2364

I had 1/3 cup of Cheerios, 1/3 cup of Kashi Honey Sunshine, 1/4 cup of Cinnamon Crunch Granola, Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, and Non-Fat Vanilla Yogurt. Amazing!

DSCN2367

Apparently I should be the spokesperson for Kashi. At Derek’s apartment this weekend I noticed a box of Kashi cereal he had on top of his fridge, thanks to my rave reviews of the cereal. My cousin, Angela, has also been persuaded by my Kashi obsession. What can I say? I love Kashi! πŸ™‚

Have you noticed any food or exercise choices you make that have inspired your friends or family? Besides Kashi, I know my sister has been inspired by my rutabaga entries on here. πŸ™‚

1 caitlin February 16, 2009 at 8:31 am

my mom gave up fake PB after i taught her about trans fat and told her if she stuck her real PB in the fridge, the layer of oil wouldnt form. πŸ™‚

2 Sarah February 16, 2009 at 8:37 am

haha, i know, everything kashi touches is like gold.
definitely my excessive uses of yogurt and oatmeal have spilled over into friends and fam!

3 Mica February 16, 2009 at 8:45 am

That cereal bowl+yoga look like a great way to start Monday and kick off the week!

4 sarahslp February 16, 2009 at 8:45 am

Ever since I started baking with carob chips my friends have been hooked. Also my recent discovered love for fresh beets has influenced some of them as well. Good luck on the run tonight?

5 Joy February 16, 2009 at 8:51 am

haha, i agree about kashi! i don’t think i will ever find a better cracker than TLC honey sesame.

i think my natural pb and greek yogurt obsessions have stuck with people; my mom now only buys natural pb and a lot of my friends are trying chobani

6 Betsy February 16, 2009 at 8:51 am

My younger sister (she’s in college) pays very close attention to new products I find & love… and then asks me to send her them in a care package. πŸ™‚

7 Anna February 16, 2009 at 8:56 am

I convinced my staunchly carnivorous roommate to go vegan for a week with me… awesome!

8 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) February 16, 2009 at 8:56 am

My family has always been pretty healthy, but they definitely have looked into different bars (I think they used to do a lot of Nutrigrain and Quaker bars that are loaded with sugars).

9 VeggieGirl February 16, 2009 at 9:10 am

My dad and I do yoga πŸ˜€

10 Emily February 16, 2009 at 9:10 am

I’m definitely envying your bowl of breakfast berry wonderfulness!

My family has healthy eating habits because of my dad’s liver transplant and special diet, but I think my friends try to practice healthful eating when around me! πŸ™‚

11 Brandi February 16, 2009 at 9:16 am

my oatmeal choices have been rubbing off on my parents lately πŸ™‚

12 snackface February 16, 2009 at 9:24 am

Really, can Kashi do any wrong? I love them. My mom has started to eat and make her own hummus, and just generally eat healthier. After years of thinking I was crazy, she’s turned it around a little bit!

13 Shelby February 16, 2009 at 9:27 am

My mom has started to eat healthier and buy healthier for the kids. I just wish she would stop buying cheesecake…for herself!!! I swear she just buys a whole chocolate cheesecake to eat throughout the week.

14 Amelia February 16, 2009 at 9:30 am

Although I’m discovering a lot of healthy foods to share with my family, I think my dad’s cooking, which relies a lot on veggies and trying new recipes, is rubbing off on me!

15 Kate February 16, 2009 at 9:31 am

cool!!! I’ve never seen that site b/f-I just downloaded one! Thanks!

16 Rose February 16, 2009 at 9:42 am

My mom eats oatmeal every day because of me! She always complains about how her morning routine is so much longer now – but she’s hooked so she makes the time for it.

17 dailygoods February 16, 2009 at 9:57 am

i am in love with that core yoga class too. i downloaded the 60 minute class, and it was the most sore my abs have been for a whileeee! my sister has just recently been reading my blog since i told her about it a few weeks ago, and she is goign out searching for some of the same goodies. she is now into oatmeal, and has been loving the bars πŸ™‚

18 jenngirl February 16, 2009 at 9:58 am

Both of my roommates are OBSESSED with sweet potato fries after seeing me make them several times. I had to give them a tutuorial of course πŸ˜‰

19 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 16, 2009 at 9:58 am

Love yoga!! All of their classes are really great.

I’ve got my family eating flax =)

20 Hangry Pants February 16, 2009 at 9:59 am

My mom buys wheat germ and puts it on greek yogurt. I think that’s the cutest thing when friends and family want to try the things we love!

I love yoga! You should go to a studio class one day when you have a little time. πŸ˜€ It’s so peaceful and calm.

21 Laura February 16, 2009 at 9:59 am

Yoga sounds like the perfect way to start a Monday morning!

My friend has switched to old fashioned oats instead of the sugar filled packets since I’ve convinced her they’re actually much better.

22 Meg February 16, 2009 at 10:04 am

Many of my friends have started eating oatmeal because they see me eating it every morning!

23 Sharon February 16, 2009 at 10:08 am

Hahaha love it! Kashi is one great cereal!

24 Beadie February 16, 2009 at 10:14 am

Hooooray for yoga!

25 Clean Veggie February 16, 2009 at 10:44 am

mm love kashi sunshine πŸ™‚

my dad’s exercise actually rubbed off on me. haha

yay for yoga!

26 Nicole February 16, 2009 at 10:44 am

Mmmm, I love Kashi!

I think my blog has influenced my mom to go vegetarian!

27 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 16, 2009 at 11:14 am

Oh I am definitely a Kashi catalyst – I will buy ANYthing of theirs at least once! I have gotten some people on the bandwagon with me too. It’s a good thing!

28 Meredith February 16, 2009 at 11:26 am

Kashi is great!! Since my bf and I are in a long distance relationship, it’s kind of hard to impact his eating habits since we only eat together 2 weekends a month! I’m a huge fiber pusher though, and am so excited to see that he’s started buying Fiber One bars (even though they contain HFCS) and that his New Year’s resolution is to add more fiber to his diet πŸ™‚

29 ksgoodeats February 16, 2009 at 11:34 am

Love your patriotic breakfasts πŸ™‚

My mom has started to eat a lot of the same foods I’ve been enjoying – Middle Eastern foods, nutrition bars, etc.

30 Melissa S. February 16, 2009 at 11:44 am

g’luck w/ the run tonight w/ the team!

i concur, kashi freak’n rocks. we should both be their spokespersons!

my veggie choices have def influenced my family, esp my dad w/ his crohn’s, to try new foods they never would have tried, like spaghetti squash! yay!

31 Brittany February 16, 2009 at 11:49 am

Hi Meghann,
I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and I really think you have such a healthy balance with food and exercise. Good luck on your marathon in San Diego! That’s amazing! Oh and I’m a junior at FSU…GO NOLES!
Brittany

32 Sarah February 16, 2009 at 11:50 am

I’ve turned my Mom on (ew…) to PB&Co. Cinnamon Raisin Swirl and Larabars. I can think of a lot healthier habits she could have picked up on, but I’ll take what I can get πŸ˜‰

I’ve yet to find a Kashi product I didn’t LOVE!

33 Briana February 16, 2009 at 11:50 am

Thanks so much for informing me about those yoga podcasts! I had no idea that made such a thing as free yoga videos and have already downloaded one and am about to try it out. Those berries look delicious also.

34 Danielle February 16, 2009 at 11:56 am

My parents have definitely started keeping more fresh produce around the house since I started the blog, and my boyfriend has really changed his eating habits as well.
I was just able to read your posts about your weekend, that island looks fantastic, what a nice time you must have had!

35 marafaye February 16, 2009 at 12:00 pm

My mom started cooking again!!
Have a great Monday Meghann!

36 Victoria February 16, 2009 at 12:17 pm

I’m actually the one my mother calls for cooking advice. Having never really cooked in her life, she is amazed at the easiest of things. She regularly makes oven-roasted potatoes for herself and m sister, which they call “Vicki’s potatoes,” as if I had been the first to cook potatoes in an oven. I love seeing her get into the things I love.

37 Ryan February 16, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I’ve been really influenced by my boyfriend’s eating habits, as well as by the various foods I see on blogs. Both have gotten me to go out on a limb and try things I’d never thought to try before!

My mom is slowly being influenced by my new culinary choices too! It’s very exciting to affect healthy changes in your loved ones diets!

38 Natalie February 16, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Yay for kashi love!

I love convinced my dad to eat healthy cereals to, and my mom to start exercising daliy. πŸ™‚

39 Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Monday yogurt and berry/yogurt/cereal – what a great way to start the week Meghann!

A lot of my local friends read my blog, and I’m constantly getting questions about where I purchase certain foods…it’s so funny as they never paid attention before to what I ate. Now, they see all the pictures, and they want some!

Good luck with your 2nd TNT run – it will be great!

40 raspberryrunner February 16, 2009 at 3:18 pm

when i studied abroad, i got my roommate addicted to chocolate after every meal…whoops! thanks to my sweet tooth, we always had a stash of chocolate in our room! and we were in europe, so all the chocolate was awesome!!!

41 Matt February 16, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Kashi is my favorite brand! I sort of got my parents to eat healthy, but I think they just do it to impress, not because it’s good for them.

42 Marianne February 17, 2009 at 2:54 am

I think my mom is the only one I can really influence with my food choices, since she’s the most open to trying new things.

I wish Kashi would sell all of their fabulous cereals in Canada, because then I’d probably be joining you with the Kashi obsession!