Move Over Rachel Ray, I've Got 5 Minute Meals

by Meghann on February 16, 2009

Day 1 of busy week is complete. πŸ™‚ Only 4 more to go!

I held off on my afternoon snack until 4:30 so I would be plenty fueled before my second Team in Training Practice. I decided to try the Almond Bumble Bar, Ryan had given me for my birthday.

DSCN2373.JPG

I had seen this bar in the blog world and have been very interested in trying it. I was really happy too see it in my birthday bag.

DSCN2374.JPG

I’m always hesitant with new bars, but am always willing to give it a try. It looked great out of the package, but I still went in with a little bite. It was very sweet and chewy, but over all not bad. For some reason I was expecting a Larabar consistency by feeling it through the package, but this was in a league of its own. I really enjoyed it and can not wait to sample the second flavor she gave me as well.

But the real question is did the bar hold me over through practice until a late dinner?

It sure did! πŸ™‚

The TNT practice was a bit smaller then last week. There was just a few females and the guys I had paced with were no where in sight. So I took off on my own and was pleasantly surprised how fast of a pace I kept.

I ended up running 4.14 miles in 37:05 πŸ™‚ And thanks to the wonderful Mica I learned how to do the auto-laps on my Garmin to figure out my split times. I swear I learn something new every day!

• Mile 1: 8:54
  • Mile 2: 8:55
  • Mile 3: 8:58
  • Mile 4: 9:08
  • Last .14 mile: 1:09

Its interesting to see my pace get slower with each mile

As promised, dinner was quick and easy, taking seriously less then 5 minutes to prepare.

I found this Moroccan Curry Kashi Pilaf package at Publix over the weekend and knew it would be a great go to meal for the week.

CIMG5320.JPG

It was relatively quick and simple to prepare, but needed something else with it. So I topped the pilaf with a Spinach, Apple, Onion, Curry mix I threw in the microwave for a minute until it softened up. I also warmed up some tomato to give the dish a little red.

CIMG5321.JPG

It was really good, but needed something to spice it up. I will have to work on that for next time. Not bad though for a complete 5 minutes of preparation.

CIMG5324.JPG

Tis the season for Girl Scout Cookies. πŸ™‚

CIMG5330.JPG

On Sunday I bought a box of each of my favorites: Peanut Butter Patties (does anyone else remember them being called Tag-alongs?) and Thin Mints. I put them in my fridge and enjoy them just a couple at a time.

CIMG5332.JPG

I had two o f the Peanut Butter Patties tonight for dessert. YUM! Good thing these only come out once a year. πŸ˜‰

What is your favorite Girl Scout Cookie?

TIme to relax and watch tv. Good night everyone!!

1 jsr February 16, 2009 at 8:38 pm

They were totally called Tag-a-longs! I am not sure why the girl scouts have renamed so many of the classics.

2 fitforfree February 16, 2009 at 8:42 pm

SAMOAS!
i’m amazed at your self-control!

3 Erin February 16, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I only ever knew them as Tagalongs!
I think the two you have are my faves, if I remember correctly. I always loved Thin Mints, but then moved on to Tagalongs later. So ridiculously good.

4 Julie February 16, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Hey girl! How was your valentines weekend trip to see your friend?! I think its so cute that you spent it with him just as friends…maybe even more? hahaha hope you had a great time πŸ™‚

5 Meg February 16, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Fantastic dinner! I am a Samoas girl!

6 Marissa V. February 16, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Will you tell me how to auto lap on my Garmin?! Right now while I’m running and get close to a mile I stare at it until I get there and then manually hit my lap button. This often leads to me missing it exactly or not looking where I’m going and almost tripping. I always thought there had to be a better way…

7 VeggieGirl February 16, 2009 at 9:04 pm

TAGALONGS!!

8 Julz February 16, 2009 at 9:04 pm

I never really liked them, but ate them anyway when I was younger bc everyone else did! That’s so funny…

9 Amelia February 16, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Samoas! I CANNOT let myself buy them cause the box will be gone in half an hour. I definitely remember those peanut butter ones being called tagalongs.

10 marafaye February 16, 2009 at 9:09 pm

5 minute meal and GS cookies?? awesome!!

11 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) February 16, 2009 at 9:11 pm

mmm thin mints are so classic for me, but i used to love samoas!!

12 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 16, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Uh oh! Rachael Ray better WATCH OUT!! It looks yum!

Oh girl scout cookies. So good.

13 Ryane February 16, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Oooh totally Samoas, or sometimes known as Caramel Delites… I was GS’ed in two different states and it was annoying that different areas had different names for the same cookie…. ??
Good job on the control!

14 caitlin February 16, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Samoas!!

15 Amy February 16, 2009 at 9:20 pm

oh man…i saw the little girlscouts downtown this morn! seriously, addicting food right there. i love samoas, “taglongs”, thin mints, peanut butter sandwiches, shortbreads…all of them, really. except lemon.

i am a huge fan of the kashi micro pilafs, but of all three i didn’t like the Moroccan curry one as much. i added almonds, raisins, grated carrots, cilantro, and other veggies to add more flavor and texture.

have a good night !

16 Lindsay February 16, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Samoas….but I don’t let myself even LOOK at any purple boxes, I’ll eat it all too fast. I was in the same room as a friend’s box last week and 3 1/2 mysteriously disappeared!

One-a-Day Frozen thin mints are a different story, the best $3.50 spent this month!

17 Laura February 16, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Tagalongs!

Glad your practice went well!

18 ksgoodeats February 16, 2009 at 9:27 pm

It’s STILL Tagalongs!! My favs were the thin mints but they had to be frozen! So much better that way πŸ™‚

19 chandra February 16, 2009 at 9:31 pm

I totally had the kashi fiery fiesta pilaf tonight! LOL

Thin mints are by far my favorite (I keep them in the freezer!), then tag-alongs and the coconut ones with the fudge stripes! Yum!!

20 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 16, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Yeah those are def Tagalongs. I should know – I was a Girl Scout for more years than I care to admit. I always loved the Samoas (also called something else now I think…) but the Thin Mints are totes the go-to!

Isn’t that pilaf good? Not amazing but I did like you and micro-ed in some veggies and scrambled in an egg, and that’s not bad for a 5 minute dinner!

21 Rachel February 16, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Loooooove Thin Mints and Samoas! Like so many others have said, I have no self-control when it comes to Girl Scout cookies, so I have to sample from others when the season comes around. Enjoy your cookies!

22 emily February 16, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Girl scouts call them different things in different areas of the country. In Ohio, where i was in girl scouts we had all the cool names like tagalongs, and samoas, but here in the midwest we get the lam-o names like peanut butter patties.
I love GS cookies though, i need to be on the lookout in front of the grocery stores πŸ™‚

23 bobbi February 16, 2009 at 9:39 pm

oooo fun practice, love the dinner. If it as just me, my dinners would look like that all the time. Forgot I ordered cookies from one of my students,I will have to get them soon!!!! Oh and I am working on your questions will get them to you soon, this weekend was soooo packed!

24 Mica February 16, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Apparently, the name of the GS cookies can change depending on which factory produced them. It’s a regional sort of nomenclature–how odd. I like “samoas” and “tagalongs” much better than “caramel delites” and “peanut butter patties”.

I’m glad I could help you with your Garmin. πŸ™‚

25 Rose February 16, 2009 at 9:42 pm

My oh my! That bar looks delicious and so healthy.

My favorite? I would do anything for a Samoa! So bad for you…but so delicious, especially frozen!

You just reminded me that I ordered four boxes of girl scout cookies from my cousin…. oh lordy.

26 dailygoods February 16, 2009 at 9:42 pm

haha i did’n’t know they changed the names of the tagalongs! i loveee girlscout cookies! awesome run tonight and great quick dinner πŸ™‚

27 Melissa S. February 16, 2009 at 9:42 pm

um yes, they have always been tagalongs to me!!!! and they freak’n ROCK!!!! i LOVE THEM!!!! and of course thin mints…and do-si-dos. πŸ™‚ me want now.

28 Meghann February 16, 2009 at 9:48 pm

I’m glad everyone else knows them as tag-alongs! That’s what I grew up with them as, but the lady looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for a box of tag-alongs…lol

29 Erica February 16, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Hey girl! Aren’t those bars so odd?? I really enjoyed the chocolate cherry- you must try it! Glad the run went well! You rock! Yayy for 5 minute dinners! I am an odd cookie (hardy har) when it comes to girl scout cookies- I loved those lemon sandwich cookies (do they even still have those??)

30 Lora February 16, 2009 at 9:49 pm

only reason i was a scout..the cookies πŸ™‚

when i was a kid I devoured the Lemon Cream Cookie Sandwiches in less than a few days. But I also loved the tag alongs, and the PB sandwich cookies too…thin mints didn’t appeal to me until I was older…same for the shortbread ones. Great run!

31 carolinebee February 16, 2009 at 9:53 pm

they are totally tag a longs! How dare they change the name! Great job on the run, and that bumble bar looks really seedy and bird food-ish?? In a good way ha πŸ˜€

32 Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm

They will ALWAYS be Tag-a-longs in my heart. My favorites: Thin Mints and Samoas. Have some in the freezer right now. Dangerous!

33 Derek February 16, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Meghann, I need your “ready before you know it” skills

34 NAOmni February 16, 2009 at 10:12 pm

I have a box and didn’t notice the name change!

NAOmni

35 cleanveggiex3 February 16, 2009 at 10:18 pm

i have never seen that bar before – sounds good though.

hands down – thin mints πŸ™‚

36 Matt February 16, 2009 at 10:20 pm

My favorite are the Samoas!

37 Summer Slim February 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Yes, they were called tagalongs, probably when we were little! my favorites are, by far, the thin mints. they are seriously dangerous! (especially after dairy queen created a thin mint blizzard last year!)

38 Ryan February 16, 2009 at 10:27 pm

YAY I’m so glad your bar was yummy AND held you through your run (great stats, by the way!) I’ll have to pick some of those up the next time I’m at Whole Foods!

Oh, Kashi…always coming up with new and amazing things!

I’m a Samoa girl, but I totally remember Tag-A-Longs (they’ll always be called those to me)!

39 Olga February 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm

hahah I love the title of the post! I’ve had that pilaf before and I liked it a lot as well! Nice additions.

Good luck with the rest of your busy week!

40 Nicole February 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Gotta love the 5 minute meals!!

My favorite girl scout cookies were the Do-Si-Dos and Thin Mints. Mmmmmmm. The boxes never lasted too long in my house.

PS: The cookies are on their way! I hope you love them!

41 Sara February 16, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Is it Girl Scout cookie time already?! The Samoas are my favorite…they have been since I was a little girl and sold them myself! πŸ™‚

42 joyful February 16, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Yes, they were Tag Alongs, why did the change the name?? Those were totally my favorite, although the thin mints and Somoas were also popular. Oh, and the shortbread ones. Did I just name them all?

43 Justy2003 February 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Thin Mints are my fave! And last week my fiance came home with those exact two boxes! Out of nowhere. I almost cursed him, but I’ve been doing okay at only taking a couple at a time πŸ™‚

44 Sharon February 16, 2009 at 11:09 pm

I have never tried a Girl Scout’s cookie before! I want one!!

45 eatingbender February 16, 2009 at 11:33 pm

I just bought that Bumble Bar – good to know it’s worth it!

Ahh I need to go to my grocery store and pick up Girl Scout cookies! My favorite was always thin mints growing up. Now I’ve branched out and really like PB cookie or Caramel D’Lite (which I think is called samoa everywhere but Minnesota, lol). Yum!

46 HangryPants February 16, 2009 at 11:38 pm

Uh yes, that is a tagalong.

Good job on the run. I feel like you’re getting faster!!!!

If you like that Bumble Bar try some of the other flavors without nuts. You might like the chocolate one.

47 Alexia February 16, 2009 at 11:39 pm

Tag Alongs and Thin Mints are my all time FAVS and I really like the Samoas too! I love putting Thin Mints in the freezer! Yum!

48 Rachel February 17, 2009 at 12:05 am

I definitely remember them being called Tagalongs not too long ago, they must’ve only changed the name only this year perhaps? My absolute favorite, however, is Samoas. So indulgent! Thin Mints are a close second, especially the thin mint ice cream..yum!

49 Caroline February 17, 2009 at 12:49 am

Samoas, hands down. I don’t have access to GS cookies on my college campus, so I’ve been making do my using the cookie flavors as inspiration for my oatmeal:)

50 Sarah February 17, 2009 at 2:10 am

Ohhhhh Tag Alongs. I just shuddered with joy. Mmmm, those are my favorite for sure.

51 Anne P February 17, 2009 at 3:59 am

SAMOAS!!!! So. Freaking. Good.

52 misstal February 17, 2009 at 6:10 am

samoas! i’m fantasizing now, and that’s not a good thing!

I’m new to your blog, btw– I’m also running and training for a race– and attempting to be healthy. My blog buddy Layla and I are at http://withmeinmind.wordpress.com πŸ™‚

Tal

53 Shelby February 17, 2009 at 8:11 am

TAGALOGS!!! LOVE!

Mmm and that pilaf dinner looks amazing.

54 ttfn300 February 17, 2009 at 8:12 am

samoas and tagalongs πŸ™‚ *swoon* i have that moroccan curry pilaf, but haven’t tried it yet…

55 Danielle February 17, 2009 at 9:56 am

Why on earth did they change the name? Tagalongs are my very favorite, can’t wait until my box comes in!

56 Sarah February 17, 2009 at 10:02 am

those are my two favorites, too! (and i do remember the old pb name). yummmmmmm! the mint ones are amazing in the freezer, too …

57 lauren (athlEAT) February 17, 2009 at 10:11 am

thin mints! love them. and samoas. I have 2 boxes of thin mints coming my way soon! πŸ™‚

58 sarahdbelle February 17, 2009 at 10:16 am

I love thin mints! So only naturally, I really love the Thin Mint ice cream Edy’s makes. Yum!

Sarah

59 brandi February 17, 2009 at 11:12 am

what a great meal! quick and colorful πŸ™‚

My favorites have always been thin mints and samoas.

60 Kristi February 17, 2009 at 11:23 am

OMG! I love Gril Scout Cookies, and I 100% agree that it is a good thing they only come out once a year! My favorite is the Caramel Delights, aka Samoa’s. I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE the Lemon patties, but they got rid of them….. They were the lower fat cookie too! Oh well, girl scout cookies will always have a place in my heart πŸ™‚

61 Kristi February 17, 2009 at 11:25 am

Oh yeah, and here in Wisconsin, they have always been called Peanut Butter Patties…. and only recently did I see them as Tagalongs….

62 Ami February 17, 2009 at 12:21 pm

My favorite cookies are definitely the thin mints. Not only the best girls scout cookie, but also the best cookie ever!

63 Bec February 17, 2009 at 12:45 pm

wow I love how colorful your dinner is!

64 raspberryrunner February 17, 2009 at 1:45 pm

SAMOAS!! close second = cold thin mints with whipped cream πŸ™‚

65 Lindsay February 17, 2009 at 3:49 pm

i am pretty sure they changed the names because people thought they were politically incorrect …

66 The Almost City Girl February 17, 2009 at 3:50 pm

actually your 2 favorites are my 2 favorites. I do remember them being caled tag-alongs when did they change the name?? I can never find gscout cookies its like you have to hunt those girls down!

67 Kristin February 18, 2009 at 9:10 am

Thin Mints are the best, especially frozen! I think they change the name of the cookies based on the state. As a GS in Michigan, they were peanut butter patties and Caramel Delites. Not till I came to Florida did I see them called Tagalongs and Samoas. Odd, huh?

68 Dori February 20, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Just catching up now since I was away – there are 2 bakeries that make Girl Scout Cookies. One of the bakeries uses Tagalongs, Samoas, etc. and the other uses PB Patties, Caramel Delites, etc. Each girl scout troop uses one of these bakeries. There was a great article about it last year that I can’t find now.

Anyway, even though I love them all, my favorite is by far Thin Mints. I can never stop once I start!

69 Dori February 20, 2009 at 7:16 pm

And you need to try the Edy’s Slow Churned Tagalong ice cream – I just had it for the first time and it was amazing!