I Have Accepted the Challenge

by Meghann on January 29, 2009

Call me crazy, but I have accepted the Gasparilla Bud Light Challenge.

I was given some early birthday money and was told to, and I quote, spend the money on something ‘fun, frivolous, and just for me.’ I know, I know there’s a ton of things that this money could go towards, but I was not going to disobey my orders and decided this is the perfect opportunity!

The Bud Light Challenge incorporates almost all of the races Gasparilla has to offer the last weekend in February. I will be running both the 5k and 15k on Saturday, then the half marathon on Sunday. Yikes! What have I gotten myself into? Atleast I will earn a nifty metal and cute t-shirt in the end. πŸ™‚

I don’t plan to try and PR any of the races that weekend. I may be crazy, but I am not stupid. I am just going to run them for fun and not push it. I’m sure its going to be quite an adventure and something great to say that I’ve accomplished.

With those races in mind I guess that means I should pump up my morning work outs. This morning I went with an old favorite, my Tennis Camp Boot Camp. It had been far too long since I have done this heart rate pumping work out. πŸ™‚

After my 60 minute sweat fest and a quick shower I enjoyed a great bowl of cereal.

DSCN9970

In my bowl I enjoyed 1 cup Kashi Mighty Bites, 1/4 cup TJs Praline Pecan Granola, 1/2 small container of Chobani Peach Yogurt and some Blueberries.

You may have noticed I am trying to incorporate more yogurt and cheese into my diet lately. I have been told by my Doctor I am lacking in the calcium department, which is a vital necessity with all of the running I do. I have also switched from taking my calcium supplement from once a day to twice a day and maybe will even go to three times a day depending on how my next appointment goes.

Don’t worry I am perfectly fine, its just preventative care for the future. As is any runner’s motto it’s much easier to prevent an injury then sit out on the sidelines because of one. πŸ™‚

How do you make sure you get enough calcium in during the day?

Two more days til Colorado!

I will be planning to blog while away, but I probably won’t be the best at responding to e-mails and comments so you will just have to bare with me for a week πŸ™‚

1 Erin January 29, 2009 at 8:36 am

I take a multi-vitamin most days of the week, but I’m also a yogurt fanatic. So I’m pretty sure I get a good portion of it from that.

2 caitlin January 29, 2009 at 8:40 am

i am sooo excited!! i am going to sign up very soon! have you officially registered???

3 VeggieGirl January 29, 2009 at 8:44 am

Good luck with the challenge!!

**Calcium = LOADS of leafy greens and hempmilk (40% RDA of calcium per 1 cup, and I drink 3-4 glasses each day), and a mulitvitamin, EVERY SINGLE DAY.

4 Mica January 29, 2009 at 8:55 am

Whoa, that’s awesome! You and Caitlin will have lots of fun, I’m sure. Good luck!

5 Kate January 29, 2009 at 8:58 am

Luckily Calcium is the one thing I’m good at consuming-thank you greek yogurt is all i have to say!That will be quite a challenge!But I bet you can do it!

6 Victoria January 29, 2009 at 9:01 am

Good luck with the challenge. It’s a very cool idea. I’m not a big dairy drinker/eater, but I aim for one serving of dairy or fortified orange juice a day, plus leafy greens (a few times a week) and a multi-vitamin every day.

7 Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 29, 2009 at 9:15 am

Calcium isn’t something I have a hard time getting in. I just drink a huge latte in the a.m. and usually at least one other dairy product at some point.

8 Nicole January 29, 2009 at 9:16 am

I take extra calcium pills to make sure I get enough!

9 ksgoodeats January 29, 2009 at 9:17 am

GOOD LUCK!!! You can do it, Meghann πŸ™‚

I take calcium supplements and make sure I eat dairy!

10 Heather Eats Almond Butter January 29, 2009 at 9:41 am

Hooray for more yogurt. I keep trying to cut back on my dairy consumption, but I just love the Greek stuff so much…not to mention cottage cheese, frozen yogurt…the list goes on and on.

Congrats on all the running plans. That’s a lot of miles in one weekend. I’m glad you plan on taking it easy. So many runners refuse to run in a race unless they can go all out, and then they end up injured after too many high intensity miles. So, just go have fun and enjoy yourself. What an accomplishment!

As far as calcium goes, I do the dairy thing, but I also take a daily vitamin with calcium.

11 Betsy in Pittsburgh January 29, 2009 at 9:46 am

That’s so awesome… all you Southerners are killing me being able to run everyday, with cool races to do. The ice and snow here make it almost impossible to even walk outside. Ugh! And for calcium, I’m with you in the deficiency… I like those chocolate chew things but I only buy them sporadically.

12 Erica January 29, 2009 at 9:51 am

You must be so excited for you vaca! I cannot wait to see the pictures. I take 2 calcium chews every! They’re actually pretty tasty!

13 dailygoods January 29, 2009 at 9:52 am

woww! that is a huge goal! so proud of you πŸ™‚ you always push yourself!! ah vacation! i bet you can not waitttt

14 brandi January 29, 2009 at 10:29 am

You and Caitlin are crazy (but I’m jealous of your insanity!) πŸ™‚

I always have a cup of milk with breakfast.

Skim milk in my coffee at work.

Usually yogurt or milk later in the day, not counting if I have any cheese during the day.

15 Julie January 29, 2009 at 10:36 am

Hey Meghann…thanks so much for the advice I’ll definitely check it out πŸ™‚ Good luck on the races! I was thinking about running a 4 mile snowflake run this saturday and I definitely wanna do a half marathon by this summer πŸ™‚ Have fun!

16 Marissa January 29, 2009 at 10:44 am

Great goal!

17 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) January 29, 2009 at 10:45 am

Good for you! That is so wonderful! Best of luck to you.

18 Meg January 29, 2009 at 10:48 am

Good luck with the challenge! I take a calcium supplement to make sure I get enough.

19 biz319 January 29, 2009 at 11:04 am

Wow, that’s a lot of running! Um, I’ll be cheering from the sidelines thank you!!

20 Hallie January 29, 2009 at 11:04 am

I don’t get enough calcium πŸ™ I need to buy those Adora disks again because when I eat those daily, I feel more balanced. My vitamin has some, and I eat Greek yogurt, but it’s still not enough.

21 bobbi January 29, 2009 at 11:32 am

so jelouse of your trip! WOW you sound as crazy of racer as me:) I am lacose-intolerant so I try and eat lots of dark greens and plenty of yogurt!

22 sarahannmatheny January 29, 2009 at 11:32 am

Yup you are crazy. I thought I had a tough weekend planned, but it pales in comparison to yours, so that will help carry me through. I’ll just think, “Meghann’s running 3 races, if she can do it, so can I!!!”

I take a calcium supplement, but I also enjoy a lot of yogurt and cottage cheese!

23 Allison January 29, 2009 at 11:34 am

Sounds nuts to me, but if there is anyone who can do it – IT’S YOU! πŸ™‚

24 Sarah W. January 29, 2009 at 11:39 am

leafy greens, tofu, fortified OJ, fortified nondairy milks, edamame,

blackstrap molasses have a ton of calcium

I take a supplement currently while I am experimenting with my veganism, running and losing weight.

Eventually when i get to a point where I’m maintaining i’d liek to be able to include the OJ and any fortified milks regularly so I can ditch the supplement.

25 Beadie January 29, 2009 at 11:48 am

I had a low bone density scare a few years ago and at that time, my gyn recommended that I get three servings of dairy a day. The bone density thing tunred out to be fine but I still aim for 3 servings. I drink a cafe au lait every morning on my way to work (I make it at home) and I often have cheese during the day and I always have greek yogurt. In addition to actual dairy products, I try to get in lots of dark leafy greens.

26 gina (fitnessista) January 29, 2009 at 11:50 am

that is seriously AMAZING! if i weren’t going to orlando the weekend before that (the 21st), i would join you for the 5 and 15k.. not the half though! you girls are outta control
hope you have a wonderful day!
thanks so much for your sweet words on my post last night <3

27 Bec January 29, 2009 at 11:54 am

I try to follow Canada’s food guide as much as possible, which recommends that females between the ages of 19-15 consume at least 2 servings of dairy a day. So I always try to get 2-3 servings in each day.

28 Ryan January 29, 2009 at 12:53 pm

YAYYY! You, Caitlin, and I will all be in the 5K! I’m even more excited now! You’re going to do great!

29 HangryPants January 29, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Yo homey. I take caltrate and I when I am splurging I get the adora chocolate calcium thingies. They are delicious!

30 Shelby January 29, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Good Luck Meghann!!!

I just recently got my blood tests done and I’m normal in all categories! I’ve been told by a privious dietitian that I probably wasn’t getting enough calcium so I should get fortified everything but I never buy that and my levels were normal. Just lots of greens I guess!

31 Meredith January 29, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Good luck with the calcium! I might move my Ca supplements from once a day to twice a day also . . . we’ll see what they say at my bone density scan today!

32 Katie January 29, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Calcium is one thing I don’t really struggle to get in my diet. I loooove cheese and yogurt is easily portable. I also take a multivitamin every day.

33 Melissa S. January 29, 2009 at 3:00 pm

yay for signing up for the race! i can’t wait to see how you do!!!

34 Maggie January 29, 2009 at 3:31 pm

I take the TJ’s calcium chew – it’s really yummy.

35 Liz January 29, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Two Words-Greek Yogurt.

I am addicted, and it is a very expensive habit.

36 Elina January 29, 2009 at 3:40 pm

That’s great about the races!!
I eat yogurt for breakfast most days and cheese sometimes with lunch or dinner and most days that’s still not enough calcium. I like the adora disks because they’re like a dessert and calcium supplement in one. You should give them a try! πŸ™‚

37 jane January 30, 2009 at 11:17 am

congratulations on signing up for the gasparilla challenge! good for you, that will certainly be a challenge, but a blast as well!
next thing you know, you’ll be doing the “goofy race” in disney- that’s a half marathon one day, then a full marathon the next! there’s no question why they call it the goofy…. πŸ™‚