more ยป" />

Perfectly Portioned for One Indian Edition

by Meghann on January 28, 2009

Caitlin is the best! As if you guys did not already know that! Thanks to her, I now have a temporary camera to blog with and take photos on vacation. She has temporarily lent me her old Nikon and I am forever thankful. Thank You Caitlin!

Unfortunately I couldn’t pick up the camera until after dinner so you will have to bare with me with the photo-less snack and photobooth dinner.

Luckily, my snack with pretty generic, but still incredibly delish. I had a Kashi Dark Chocolate Coconut Bar. I am seriously in love with these new Kashi bars, I could easily eat one every hour on the hour if given the opportunity.

Dinner tonight was inspired by my Indian experience on Sunday. I was determined to create some Indian dishes on my own and it just so happened what I create was perfect for one person, so I decided to call it a Perfectly Portioned for One meal. ๐Ÿ™‚

After some research on Indian dished I decided to give a variation of this one a try. Of course I added my own flair and catered the ingredients to fit one person.

The trick behind my single serving Curry dish stems from these lovely Indian Eggplants I picked up from the Farmer’s Market last weekend.

DSCN9963.JPG

They are perfect for anyone cooking for one because once you cut into a regular sized eggplant you either have to cook it immediately so it won’t go bad. And lord knows none of us can eat whole eggplant on our own. With the smaller ones I can use just one or a couple at a time pre portioned out for just me.

In honor of this week’s BSI sponsored by the lovely Ms. Sarah from Tales of Expansion, I decided to give this Curry a little extra flavor by incorporating Dates in to the meal.

My only regret was not adding more dates to the meal. Holy Yum! The bites with dates in it just gave a little extra kick of flavor that melded the Sweet and Savory combo perfectly. Love it! And to think if dates weren’t the BSI I would never have thought to add them!

And with out further adieu here’s the recipe –

Perfectly Portioned for One Roasted Eggplant, Date, & Kale Curry

• 3 Indian Eggplants
  • 1/3 of a Bunch of Kale
  • 1/2 large Tomato, cubed
  • 2 Pitted Dates, chopped
  • 1/2 small Onion, diced
  • Minced Garlic
  • Vegetable Stock
  • Garam Masala
  • Corriander
  • Curry Powder
  • Red Pepper Flakes
  • S&P
  1. Cut the tops off of the little eggplants off and roast in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until the skin turns brown and bubbly
  2. While the eggplants are in the oven start to cook the onion on the stove top until translucent
  3. Add the Garlic, tomato, dates, kale and seasonings to the onion heat until kale is wilted and remove from heat.
  4. When the eggplants are done cut into cubes and add to food processor with the onion mixture
  5. Pulse food processor, and add vegetable stock until desired consistency is achieved

Photo 21.jpg

I was not 100% happy with the measurement of spices, which is why I didn’t give the exact amount. I want to leave the spices up to discretion. Besides that I really enjoyed this recipe and would love to experiment with is again! I am really excited for my new experiments with Indian food.

I had the curry atop some Brown Rice and a piece of Whole Wheat Toast.

Photo 20.jpg

Dessert was a trio of baked goods in my fridge at the moment.

DSCN9965.JPG

A Ricotta Chocolate Chip Cookie, Brownie and Ginger Snap Stick. Yeah my sweet tooth was a little crazy when I returned with the replacement camera! ๐Ÿ™‚

Colorado Meet Up Update –

Any Colorado residents near the Denver area who would like to meet up, I will be having a dinner in Idaho Springs on Monday, Feb. 2 at 6:30. Location TBD. If you would like to join me and a few other readers then send me an e-mail at graduatemeghann@gmail.com and we’ll hash out the details. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 VeggieGirl January 28, 2009 at 8:48 pm

AMAAAAAAAZING dinner & dessert!!

Wait a minute… is that slice of toast floating above your dinner bowl?? Looks that way ๐Ÿ˜€

2 Erin January 28, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Ah, I love Indian, but never make it. This looks so good and easy! Thanks for the great recipe.

3 Julie January 28, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Heyy I’ve been reading your blog for quite sometime and I think its really great! I was wondering since you’ve been doing this for a while if you had any advice to how I could fix mine up, get readers, etc…any kind of advice would be so helpful. Thanks so much ๐Ÿ™‚

This is what it is.. http://juliegolean.blogspot.com/

Julie

4 Justy2003 January 28, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I thought the same thing as VeggieGirl…that toast looks like it’s just floating on top there!
I’ll be in Denver next weekend…too bad you’ll be gone by then!

5 caitlin January 28, 2009 at 9:23 pm

hahahah you love my camera, i know. ๐Ÿ™‚

sorry we missed each other. you have so many birthday presents, it is seriously ridic.

6 Quinn January 28, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Yay new camera! That toast totally looks like it’s hovering over your meal! Cool!

7 Elina January 28, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Oh that’s so great that Caitlin lent you her old camera. I couldn’t live without mine!
That dinner looks amazing… I would never think of adding dates to such a dish, but just thinking about it makes my mouth water ๐Ÿ˜€

8 Sarah January 28, 2009 at 9:40 pm

brilliant submission, meghann! thanks — this is exactly the kind of unique use of dates i am looking for. so glad the bsi inspired you ๐Ÿ™‚

9 Shelby January 28, 2009 at 9:42 pm

haha floating toast!!! AHH!!!

Fabulous recipe, I would bookmark it but it has dates in it. I can’t keep those babies in the house anymore because I will eat the whole thing super fast! Then I break out from the sugar overload =(
Maybe one day…ooo or I could just go to the bulk bin and buy 2 =P

10 Sweet and Fit January 28, 2009 at 9:51 pm

you are so creative, wouldn’t be surprised if you win the BSI again this week!

11 Mica January 28, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Yummy dinner! Just a note though–be CAREFUL with garam masala. It is a) over-powering and b) can make your body temperature raise and then make your skin FREAK OUT.

No joke, it’s a confirmed fact…by real Indian people (my boss and my friends). Haha.

12 Tyler (Raspberry Runner) January 28, 2009 at 10:07 pm

yum! i can be hard cooking for just one sometimes! thanks for the recipe! i love eggplant!

13 Meg January 28, 2009 at 10:27 pm

What a yummy dinner! You come up with the greatest creations. Your recipes always look so delicious!

14 Sharon January 28, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Wow, tasty tasty! And blogger meetup? Neato!

15 courtneym415 January 28, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Oh my gosh! That looks and sounds delicious. I love sweet and savory…divine!

16 Amelia January 28, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Haha that toast DOES look like it’s floating in midair. Weird.

That meal looks so good. And how cute are those little eggplants?!

17 elise January 29, 2009 at 12:08 am

are you a magician? whats with the hovering toast?

18 Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) January 29, 2009 at 12:24 am

Meghann that looks so good! Dates go well with any Indian dish. Um, I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I’ve eaten an entire eggplant by myself. It was just so good and all roasted with salt and olive oil. I couldn’t stop.

19 Hallie January 29, 2009 at 12:41 am

I am so boring…I had dates for dessert and I was thinking about chopping one into my oatmeal tomorrow. You’re so creative!

By the way, thanks for for your advice (via email). If you don’t mind, I’d like to add you to my blog roll (since I figured out how to do it!)

20 sarahannmatheny January 29, 2009 at 3:08 am

How cool that the BSI made your dinner better! I’m not letting you win again, though. Hmm….what to make…

21 Ryan January 29, 2009 at 6:29 am

Amazing looking dinner! You’re so creative ๐Ÿ˜€

22 HangryPants January 29, 2009 at 7:24 am

Yay Caitlin!

I love the mini eggplant. You always rock creative BSI recipes. ๐Ÿ˜€

23 Sarah W. January 29, 2009 at 8:24 am

I’ve been trying to figure out how to make kale in a way that my husband would eat it without freaking out and so far could only come up with pasta dishes (he hates pasta) but we both LOVE indian dishes!!!!!!! and I’ve only had 1 date in my life, but this would be an excuse to buy a package!!! thank you for the creativity – I am SO adding this to the menu sometime soon!

24 Sarah W. January 29, 2009 at 9:03 am

oh what other veggies do you think would be good as a “side” to the curry?

I just added that to the menu for Monday night! I’m excited!!!!

25 Allison January 29, 2009 at 9:48 am

As usual – I’m amazed at the flavor combos you come up with! Those eggplants look so pretty!

26 brandi January 29, 2009 at 10:28 am

That dinner sounds great! and I love those cute little eggplants.

I can’t wait until the farmer’s markets are open here!

27 lauren January 29, 2009 at 12:13 pm

did anyone else say that the ginger snap stick looks like a piece of bacon? that’s what I thought it was until I read…and I was thinking…hmmm…bacon for dessert?! ha!

28 zestycook January 29, 2009 at 12:36 pm