more ยป" />

My Take on Barney Butter

by Meghann on January 25, 2009

The blogging love continued this morning as Melissa and I set out on an early morning run in the beautiful Florida weather.

DSCN2255.JPG

I am happy to say the cold front that plagued the southern states last week has vanished and we are back to our beautiful winter temps in the 70s.

This morning I took Melissa to one of my favorite running trails in Orlando, Blue Jacket Park.

DSCN2254.JPG

Blue Jacket Park is a beautiful park that I have blogged about constant times before and I am still not tired of it. ๐Ÿ™‚ We took the stretch of the park and did two laps around Lake Baldwin before heading back to the car.

I was pleasantly surprised with our pace throughout the run. For just having pumped out a 5k yesterday we were flying, nothing like running with another person to make you push it out.

Here was the stats:

• Time: 1:02:19
  • Distance: 6.82 miles
  • Avg Pace: 9:09
  • Avg HR: 180 bpm
  • Max Pace: 7:26
  • Max HR: 188 bpm
  • Calories Burned: 661

I <3 my Garmin! ๐Ÿ™‚

Melissa was exhilirated when we finished.

DSCN2256.JPG

Before the run I decided to sample the Barney Butter Heather had sent me.

DSCN2248.JPG

After all of the raves in the Blog World I was really excited to finally try it for myself. I spread some on an Arnolds Thin and some Pumpkin Butter on the other.

DSCN2251.JPG

Now I have to state first that I am a HUGE fan of Almond Butter. Nothing is better then fresh raw almond butter straight from the machine at Whole Foods. And well, don’t hate me, but I was not the biggest fan of my sample of the Barney Butter. I mean it was alright but it was more like a water down version of Almond Butter, not my cup of tea.

Comparing Barney Butter to Almond Butter is like comparing Jif to natural Peanut Butter. Jif has a funny fake taste to it and so does Barney Butter. I say if you like almond butter then stick to the real thing because sadly you will be disappointed by Barney’s version of it.

Sorry to be a hater but I had to give an honest review and that was it.

Moving on from that, we decided to incorporate the remaining Barney Butter sample in to some delish pancakes this morning.

DSCN2257.JPG

Melissa and I doubled Heather’s Barney Butter Pancake recipe and added a little extra Peanut Butter to the matter to give it a little bit more of a nutty flavor.

DSCN2258.JPG

I had 2.5 pancakes covered with Strawberries, Blackberries, Blueberries and Sugar Free Syrup.

DSCN2259.JPG

These were some hearty pancakes. Yum! I enjoyed the nutty flavor they had.

DSCN2261.JPG

Unfortunately they were a tad dry and I sadly had just a drop of syrup to coat them with. I can also not apologize to Melissa enough for leaving her syrup-less. SO SORRY! I‘m such a bad host! ๐Ÿ™

Now its time to shower and celebrate my Uncles Birthday! I think he’s 38? 39?40? Something around there. Enjoy your Sunday everyone!

Oh I almost forgot I have more THANKS to give to some amazing people with their awesome Donations!

Thanks to –

You guys rock!

Right now we’re at $925almost $1000. Can you believe it? Lets see if we can hit that milestone before the weekend is over. Think of all the lives we are helping here people! Its for a good cause, DONATE! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Kate January 25, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Thank you for being honest a/b the BB!I tried my first Chobani today and I was sad that it wasn’t the most amazing yogurt I’ve ever had lol! It’s all personal pref. WAY jealous of your weather.

2 Sarah January 25, 2009 at 12:09 pm

I always love your weekend breakfasts. I haven’t tried BB, but I’ve put off ordering it because I saw that it’s sweetened — I agree that nothing beats freshly ground WF almond butter!
And I’m so jealous of all the running trails around you!! I need to put more effort into scoping out new spots …

3 caitlin January 25, 2009 at 12:28 pm

wait is BB fake? im confused i thought it was just almond butter. i just looked up the ingredients and its: Ingredients: Almonds, Evaporated Cane Juice, Palm Fruit Oil, Sea Salt. what do you think makes it taste yucky???

miss ya!

4 Tina January 25, 2009 at 12:39 pm

That’s so strange that your Barney Butter was watery! I think you got a bad batch. All of the BB that I’ve tried has been nice and thick.

5 Mica January 25, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Awesome run! You guys were speeeddyyyy!

6 Sharon January 25, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Wow, what a fun time!

7 Pixie January 25, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Oh thank goodness… I thought I was the only one out there who thought BB wasnt worth all the hype! ๐Ÿ™‚ I LOVE the normal WF Almond Butter or the Maranatha ABs too way more than BB ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Shelby January 25, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Fantastic run! I’m glad the weather is getting back to normal, it’s awful here.

I’m glad I didn’t order BB! It doesn’t sound to great. But then again, my true love is Vanilla Almond Butter from Naturally Nutty, SO GOOD!!!

9 sarahannmatheny January 25, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I think sharing your Barney Butter will make up for swiping the last of the syrup. Sorry you didn’t dig it so much…maybe you need CRUNCHY?!

10 Amanda January 25, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I’m glad you said you like freshly ground almond butter better, because the other day I was faced with the dilemma of whether to get that or BB–I’d never tried almond butter. I got the fresh kind and it’s delicious!

Can you tell me what kind of heart rate monitor/device you use for your stats? I’m just getting into running and would like to get one. Thanks!

11 sarah (ghost world) January 25, 2009 at 1:51 pm

i just donated ๐Ÿ™‚ i am rooting for you to reach $1000 by tomorrow!

12 Heather Eats Almond Butter January 25, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I have one word of advice…CRUNCHY. The crunchy Barney Butter is MUCH better than the smooth. Lovely pancakes my little syrup hog. ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) January 25, 2009 at 3:13 pm

I <3 Blue Jacket Park!!! Everytime you blog about running there I’m all like "awww BJP!!!! Lake Baldwin!!! Baldwin Village!!! awwww I miss it!!".

Wouldn’t it have been cool if we ever were at BJP at the same time when we both lived in Orlando?? haha, I know there’s no way of figuring that out, but I still think it’d be funny!

14 Sweet and Fit January 25, 2009 at 3:36 pm

those pancakes look beautiful! I can’t believe how far you have already come in raising $$, I think you are going to surpass your goal! i’m so happy for you =)

15 Erica January 25, 2009 at 3:53 pm

yah…I thought the BB was just ok. I think I’ve just gotten really use to natural tasting nut butters! Glad you guys had a fun run. That is SO awesome that you are already up to almost $1000! Have a great night chicky!

16 lifeisyumbo January 25, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Hi, I just wanted to say I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and you and Caitlin inspired me to start my own thing! Thanks for all the wonderful inspiration! Your Sunday looked fabulous.

17 biz319 January 25, 2009 at 5:34 pm

I think its always easier when you run with someone else! Good job.

Great job so far with the fundraising too! You’ll have no problem making your goal!!

18 ksgoodeats January 25, 2009 at 6:10 pm

How fun!! Fabulous breakfast ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Missy (MISSY MAINTAINS) January 25, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Thanks for the honest BB review! I was thinking about getting some because of all the hype but now I will reconsider spending so much!

20 Janet January 25, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I like Barney Butter a lot, but could see how other almond butters would taste more “nutty” and real, in a way. I also really wish Barney Butter would come in glass instead of plastic jars – grr! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kate, I’m so glad you said you don’t love Chobani, because I do not get the hype! I think it tastes weird and artificial, even the plain. Trader Joe’s plain greek yogurt is so much better (just in my opinion of course!)

Those pancakes look great!

21 Melissa S. January 25, 2009 at 7:06 pm

yay for our run! and i totally agree about the BB…tastes kinda funky; i’ll let you try the crunchy one next time i’m up and see if you like that one more. ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks again for such a great weekend! you def saved me!!!!!

22 Trust, Hope, Believe January 25, 2009 at 7:08 pm

wow! awesome run even after the 5k! I still have not tried almond butter yet!

23 Victoria January 25, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Thanks for the review of the Barney Butter. I’ve never had it (and am scared to spend that much on it), but I love plain old ground almond butter from the machine at The Fresh Market.

24 Sarah W. January 25, 2009 at 9:05 pm

the BB is for ppl who don’t care for regular Almond Butter much….I am one of those people. But after reading carrotsncake and hangrypants review on BB – I got 2 jars coming my way! i’m excited b/c I’m SICK of Peanut Butter!!!

25 Brandi January 25, 2009 at 10:18 pm

I haven’t tried BB either – I get the Maranatha kind and it is great!

BUT – I can’t get fresh ground AB anywhere around here, so I can’t compare it to that ๐Ÿ™‚

26 The Blogging Park January 26, 2009 at 6:35 am

Thanks for the review of the Barney Butter.

27 HangryPants January 26, 2009 at 8:05 am

My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!

I think it is good in the pancakes or cookies though. ๐Ÿ˜€

I guess it was kind of liquidy. I thought that was b/c it was the creamy kind.

28 HangryPants January 26, 2009 at 8:10 am

P.S. I am sorry the pancakes were too dry. ๐Ÿ™ Maybe it was the extra BB that made the recipe ratios off.

29 Dori January 26, 2009 at 4:13 pm

I really like the crunchy BB — haven’t tried the creamy yet but I have it sitting here waiting for me. Although I like it a lot, I’m not shedding any tears that it’s not available in NY!

And Chobani does happen to be my favorite yogurt, the vanilla flavor. ๐Ÿ™‚

30 Mellisa! February 10, 2009 at 12:25 am

I love BB! I don’t get why you thought it was watery, you must’ve had a bad jar or something :(. I think BB has a wonderful nutty flavor, and I love the texture way better than that whole foods stuff, even if it has a little added sugar, ๐Ÿ™‚