Happy Birthday and New food

by Meghann on January 25, 2009

My Uncle Tere turned 39 today.. err.. he is turning 39 on Thursday, but we celebrated today. Happy Birthday Tere!

n502505749_1225418_2905.jpg

I was running late to the birthday party, so when I spoke with my Mom about the timing situation I asked her what the food was like.

Here is our conversation went:

Me – “Mom, what kind of food is there?”

Mom – ” They have a Mexican Spread.”

Me – “Are there vegetables?”

Mom – “There’s peppers and onions in the fajita mix.”

Me – “Peppers and onions do not equal vegetables…. should I bring my own food?”

Mom – “Ummm….I think that would be your best bet.”

I love my Mom, she knows me so well.

Thank god for the heads up! I hate going to parties where the food options aren’t the best so I set out to create my own healthy alternative. I made a a little salad of the left over sushi veggies and tuna.

DSCN2267.JPG

In my salad I had cucumber, zuchinni, green onion, carrot, tomato, asparagus and seared tuna.

With the salad I did have a couple of chips with dip and half of a chicken enchilada, which I ate mostly the filling and discarded the melted cheesy layer.

DSCN2268.JPG

All together a healthy compromise meal.

DSCN2266.JPG

I was really glad I had brought my own salad when I showed up to this spread.

n1452104078_177544_2977.jpg

It was a yummy spread, but too much brown for my taste and not enough green. πŸ™‚

And of course you can’t have a birthday and not have cake!

DSCN2269.JPG

I had a sliver of the Carvel Ice Cream Cake and one of the Brownies Melissa and I made last night, which I had brought to share. It was the perfect sweet ending to the meal.

I had plans to meet a friend for dinner tonight. He is one of those friends I love going out to eat with because he is open to try anything new. He loves food just as much as I do and any suggestion I offer up he is always game. Tonight for instance he was willing to experiment with me.

As much as I love Indian food from the Whole Foods Bar and in boxed or frozen form, I have honestly never ate at an actual indian resteraunt. It was something I had been wanting to try for a while so tonight, we googled an Indian resteraunt in our area and discovered Gateway to India as a great middle ground for us.

The only Indian Dish I really know is Channa Masala so I decided to branch out and try all new things.

First up we ordered the Samosa Chaat to share as a starter. The Samosa Chaat is mashed samosa topped with a spicy blend of onions, chutney, garbanzo and yogurt.

DSCN2272.JPG

I really enjoyed the starter. It was very spicy and the mashed samosa added a nice crunch to the dish. Yum.

The starter came with an array of Chutneys: Mint, Tamarind, & Onion.

DSCN2273.JPG

My favorite was the Tamarind, it added a nice sweet element that mellowed out the spiciness of the dishes.

For the main course Mitch and I branched out and ordered two different delicious items to share.

DSCN2277.JPG

In the back Mitch ordered the Baigan Bhartabaked eggpland minced in a blend of authentic spices. Up front I ordered the Dal Makhamiblack lentil cooked with tomato, ginger, garlic, onion herbs & spices.

We also ordered the Whole Wheat Naan.

DSCN2279.JPG

And the meal came with Bastami RIce.

DSCN2276.JPG

My Plate ( I had a second plate almost identical to the first)

DSCN2281.JPG

I really enjoyed my first Indian experience. The food was very spicy and I downed a couple of liters of water all on my own, but it was worth it. I can’t wait to go back and try more indian dishes. My next step is to actually cook my own Indian meals!

When I got home I needed something sweet so I nibbled on two of Heather’s bite sized Ricotta Chocolate Chip Cookies. Yum!

DSCN2284.JPG

And now I am officially stuffed! What a great weekend of food. πŸ™‚

Muy GRACIAS to Sarah from Ghost World and Kath from KERF for their generous donations today!

There is still a couple of hours until the weekend is up to reach the $1000 mark tonight. What do you think? Can we do it?!?!?!

Either way we’re standing strong at $955.56 I think that’s pretty damn good for the first week of fund raising! πŸ™‚

I do have a mini announcement to make, I have had to push back the date of the Blogging Bake Sale from the first week in February to the second week. Don’t worry you’ll still get to purchase your favorite blogger’s goodies, some logistics are just being tweaked. Just think of the added anticipation this will bring!

If you have volunteered to bake I will be sending an e-mail your way tomorrow morning so be on the look out!

Mi – I have tried e-mailing you have you received them?!?! E-mail me at graduatemeghann@gmail.com and we’ll figure it out!

Ok I think I have filled you head with enough info for one night.

PEACE

1 VeggieGirl January 25, 2009 at 9:40 pm

So cute!!

Mmm, cake & cookies!!

2 glidingcalm January 25, 2009 at 9:41 pm

i LOVEEEEEEEEEE indian food! That looks amaazingggggggggg!

3 Meg January 25, 2009 at 9:42 pm

What a wonderful food filled weekend! Happy Birthday to the uncle!

4 sarah (ghost world) January 25, 2009 at 9:44 pm

oh wow — first indian! i’m sure you’ll be back for lots more — one of my favorite cuisines!

i am so excited for the bake sale. i wonder if an auction format would work — i would seriously work hard to outbid someone for a VeggieGirl creation!

5 dailygoods January 25, 2009 at 9:44 pm

ooooh i love indian food! for some convenient indian, try some of the amys frozen dinners. she does indian very well!

6 Heather Eats Almond Butter January 25, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Way to branch out and try something new . I LOVE tamarind dipping sauce. So sweet and especially good on some Naan. Your fund-raising is going great Meghann. Good for you. You’ll reach your goal before you know it.

7 Laura January 25, 2009 at 9:51 pm

LOVE Indian food! Unfortunately, my friends here are total food bores and don’t like it. You are so disciplined to bring a salad to eat!

You are doing a fabulous job with the fundraising! I have no doubt you’ll meet your goal. πŸ™‚

8 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) January 25, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Mmm Indian food looks yummy!

New goal: I wanna be like you when I grow up!! haha jk, but seriously – how do you bring your own food to family events? I am always so afraid of offending someone (namely a few relatives who are offended ridiculously easy on my side and my in-laws). I really, really wish I could get to the point where I’d be comfortable bringing my own meal/ part of a meal to fam functions!!

9 Sharon January 25, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Wow, what an awesome time! So many tasty eats, glad you had a great time!

And mmm, cake! YES!

10 Liz January 25, 2009 at 10:00 pm

mmm, that indian food looks delicious!
Do you feel awkward bring your own healthy food to a family event? It is such a good idea but I’m not sure if I would be comfortable doing it

11 Meghann January 25, 2009 at 10:03 pm

My Mom was the one who actually encouraged me to bring my own food so I didn’t feel bad. Plus my family knows all about my crazy eating habits, so they weren’t surprised at all that i brought my own food, in fact my Aunt called it ‘cute’

12 Danielle January 25, 2009 at 10:10 pm

I couldn’t let you not break $1000 this weekend when you’re so close!
Hope you have a good night!

13 Shelby January 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Great spread and delicious desserts!

14 jenngirl January 25, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Yay for birthday celebrations, you definitely did a great job of “compromising” today πŸ™‚

I love dinner out with friends who are willing to try new things, such fun!!

Congrats on that awesome fundraising!

15 Brandi January 25, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Such a great foodie weekend! That and a race? Can’t be beat πŸ™‚

16 caitlin January 25, 2009 at 10:20 pm

oh god i love indian food! we’ll have to go together soon.

17 Amelia January 25, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Both the Indian dishes sound yummy. Sounds like a great night out!

18 Sarah January 25, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Ha, I would feel so weird bringing just a plate for myself! Normally in that situation, I try to bring something veggie-ful, but that everyone can partake in.

Also, sorry but I have to say it because I took Spanish for so long – it’s muchas gracias, which means “many thanks.” (Muy means “very.”)

19 aron January 25, 2009 at 10:55 pm

hi! just stopping by from caitlins blog… i am running SD too with a TON of running bloggers!! will be fun to follow your training along the way πŸ™‚ i am sure there will be some massive blogger meet up down there too so i will add you to the list πŸ™‚

20 Victoria January 25, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Drool. I absolutely LOVE Indian food. So yummy. Awesome you tried a bunch of new things I could probably eat my weight in naan.

21 Andrea [bella eats] January 25, 2009 at 11:10 pm

LOVE Indian food. LOVE it.

Your Uncle Tere (my cousin Tere!) looks so much like my dad its a little frightening!!! πŸ™‚

Good job with taking your salad to festivities. I always feel bad and just eat what’s offered, then feel crappy afterwards. πŸ™ I haven’t found my balance with that yet…

22 Mica January 25, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Ahhh, I love Indian food. I used to work at an Indian restaurant, but now that I’ve moved to the Mid West, there is nothing good here. I’m SO SAD. Your pictures seriously made me so hungry!

Good job bringing your own healthy eats to the par-tay. I’m definitely going to do it next time there’s an unhealthy spread. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that before…

23 elise January 25, 2009 at 11:13 pm

i heart indian food. looks like a fun day of eats and fam/friends.

24 Maggie January 25, 2009 at 11:48 pm

For me the best part about Indian food is the chutney – all i need is chutney and naan and i’m set. And bringing your own food is definitely the way to go.

25 Sweet and Fit January 25, 2009 at 11:59 pm

thats so nice how honest your Mom was about how may want to bring your own food – I often want to do that when my family gets together because persian food is really heavy and never healthy…but I always feel really really embarrassed to show up with my own plate… seeing that you do it gives me justification for doing so as well…so thanks I guess is what im trying to say! =)

26 lilveggiepatch January 26, 2009 at 12:36 am

I love Indian food so much! When I was younger (before I was a vegetarian) I would order Chicken Dildar (w/ pineapple) every single time we went out. Now I love all the veggie things: curry, korma, saag, samosas… yum yum yum.

27 sarahannmatheny January 26, 2009 at 3:17 am

I’ll take the whole wheat naan please =)

Family situations with food can be so challenging. I always bring something that I know is safe and then if everyone wants some, great, and if they don’t, more leftovers for me to enjoy!!!

28 Trust, Hope, Believe January 26, 2009 at 6:12 am

mm everything looks so good! Good for you that you can bring your own food to a family party =]

29 nicole January 26, 2009 at 7:07 am

i LOVE indian food. none of my friends are big curry fans tho.

hope you have a great monday.
xox, nicole

30 foodfashionfun January 26, 2009 at 7:49 am

Hey! I found your blog through MelissaΒ΄s blog and just came to check it out- awesome blog!:] The Mexican food looks sooo yummy, especially the greens;)

31 Melissa S. January 26, 2009 at 8:09 am

yay for our leftovers saving the day for lunch!!!

i’m glad you had a great time at the indian restaurant! it looks so good…take me there next time? my treat! cause you’re a freak’n rockin hostess!!!!!!

32 sweetandnatural January 26, 2009 at 8:17 am

I had Indian food last night to! I love channa masala.

33 lauren January 26, 2009 at 11:05 am

i LOVE indian food and it has been TOO long since I have had it. glad you liked it!

34 Natalie January 26, 2009 at 2:46 pm

i absolutely adore Indian food…. between that and Vietnamese I’m in heaven πŸ™‚

Next time you go for Indian give Vegetable Briyani a try… or chicken korma, or chicken tikka masala.. good stuff!

35 Marianne January 26, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Ice cream cake & Indian food in the same day? Yum. I think one of my fave dishes I’ve ordered is a lamb dish in a spinach sauce. I can’t remember the name unfortunately, but if you do see anything like that and aren’t against eating lamb, I highly recommend it.

36 Uncle T January 26, 2009 at 6:40 pm

I’m confused…since when are peppers and onions not vegetables. And I stick by what I said fish was meant to be cooked. Why do you think they invented fire. I can’t even identify what you are eating at that Indian place. No matter how good you think you are eating…you will still get old like me someday!!!

37 ttfn300 January 26, 2009 at 8:50 pm

ooh, i’m just starting indian food, too! i’m the same way with the tons of water, but you’re right it is worth it πŸ™‚ and whaddya know, I made the eggplant curry recently!

38 Heather January 28, 2009 at 8:33 am

Hi, I’m a new reader!

Once you start living a healthy lifestyle, it’s so much harder to go to parties and get togethers!

I get terrible anxiety that there will not be enough veggies & lean meats. Usually there will be veggies, but they’re DRENCHED in grease or dressing.

It’s awesome your mom was understanding, my mom sometimes gets offended. To avoid this and calm my anxiety, I usually eat a big healthy meal before I go. I also pack protein powder in my purse so I can mix in to water if I know people will think it’s weird if I am eating my own food.

Good Luck with your camera!!