more ยป" />

A Very Cold Race

by Meghann on January 24, 2009

We Came, We Ran, We Froze!

DSCN2167.JPG

It was a very chilly 40 degrees when the gun shot off for the Seasons 52 Park Avenue 5.2k this morning. Despite my frozen muscles and burning lungs I still managed to cross the finish line at a respectable 25:56 for the 5.2k distance.. I’m still waiting for the official chip time of the 5k distance that will hopefully be posted this afternoon! :)

This morning my alarm went off at promptly 5:30am and I jumped right out of bed to let Abbie out. I was not feeling to happy about having to race when I walked outside and could see my breath. It was freaking cold and was not the type of weather I had done any speed training in the past week. Instead I had stuck to the indoor treadmill, which looking back might have been a mistake on my part.

I managed to dress in my warmest running clothes and hope for the best.

For my pre-race fuel I had the new White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Clif Bar.

DSCN2164.JPG

I have heard some great raves on this bar through the blog world and was excited to try it.

DSCN2165.JPG

It was probably the richest clif bar I have ever tried. You could really taste the chunks of white chocolate interspersed through the bar. It was really good, but I think next time I would break the bar in half and eat it on 2 separate occasions rather then overindulging in all the richness of the bar at once.

Melissa and I met Caitlin at the race site before the sun rose. We were all freezing so we decided it would be best to keep warm in the car before the race.

DSCN2166.JPG

We kept nice and toasty until just before the race started when we decided to meander our way over to the start.

DSCN2170.JPG

We hopped into the 8 minute mile shoot and waited for the countdown. We bounced and danced to keep our selves warm, but when it comes to cold weather us Floridians just turn into big babies!

Finally the gun fired and we were off… well the people at the beginning were off and we slowly made our way to the start about 30 seconds after the time started.

My goal was to get out of the crowd of people and find my pace. I gunned it and found an open amount of space where I attempted to hold my top speed in hopes for a new PR. I loved having my Garmin on me so I could gage where I was pacing, I started at a 6:30 pace and fell into a comfortable 7:45 when I crossed the first mile around 7:30.

It was cold and my body was not used to the weather, my breathing got harder as my lungs started to burn from the intense freeze. I was not expecting this nor was I prepared. My speed started slipping half way through, just had it had done in my previous 5k. I gunned it to hard in the beginning and was now struggling to hold that pace. Damn it! Not again!

I pushed it through, but I could still feel my pace slipping, I didn’t even want to check my Garmin to see where I was at, my only thoughts were to not stop. I passed the second mile marker at 15:40. I was still in the game if I could just hold on.

At this point I knew Caitlin and Melissa were somewhere behind me and honestly I kept waiting for them to pass me. I knew as long as I was still ahead of them then I was reaching my goal. :)

I started to watch the increments of miles click by on my Garmin 2.67….2.81..2.9… sooo close I told my legs to just move a little bit faster.

I passed the 3rd mile at 24:23 and was thinking in the back of my mind if I gunned it then I could PR it, but my legs never moved.

The race was a distance of 5.2k but they had the 5k distance marked off with a promise of posting the 5k time results online. I hit the 5k marker and slowed to a jog which is the exact moment when I saw Melissa come up beside me and pass me by. We must have passed the 5k mark at the exact same time, I’m interested to see where our times stand at the 5k distance when they’re posted.

I eventually crossed the 5.2k finish line at 25:56 about 6 seconds after Melissa. Caitlin came up less then a minute behind us.

At the end my lungs were burning so bad I could barely breathe. I was not use to these conditions! I grabbed a Hot Chocolate and breathed in the fumes just to warm my throat. It worked wonders and I drank about half of the Hot Chocolate before I was completely cured.

Caitlin and I with our victory poses.

DSCN2169.JPG

We were happy to finish at all, both not planning to PR. :)

Of course there was food and I happily ate the provided Fruit Pack and 1/2 Cinnamon Bagel.

DSCN2168.JPG

I went back for another 1/2 a bagel as we were making the rounds.

While making a second loop of the racing area Melissa and I finally met up with Gina, who had ran the race as well.

DSCN2173.JPG

It was definitely a Blogger Racing Event!

I was disappointed I didn’t get a chance to meet up with my friend Whitney. Whitney, if you’re reading this I tried to find you, but it was like a needle in a haystack! I hope you kicked booty running today!

Now I am exhausted and ready to shower. THere are talks of baking and sushi making in the future. Also, Melissa has never been to a Super Target so I must show her what its all about.

The race did get me both pumped up and scared for my Marathon on May 31st. Thankfully I am a much better distance runner then speed runner any day of the week.

Also, knowing I will be running the race for such a great cause will keep my pumped and motivated. So keep those donations coming and let’s all support The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society as they fight to end the threat of blood born cancers with every mile I run.

Thank you to my old roommate Becca for her very generous donation last night! Its great to know after all these years we still play an important role in each other’s lives. :)

1 Sarah January 24, 2009 at 10:32 am

great job! i always think its muck more fun to run races with people than by yourself. way to start off a healthy weekend!

2 Kirsten January 24, 2009 at 10:41 am

Awesome race time ! :)

3 branappetit January 24, 2009 at 10:46 am

Congrats on a great race!!!

4 Amy January 24, 2009 at 11:09 am

So jealous of all you FL bloggers!! BUT, I am excited that my home mall in Cherry Hill, NJ is opening a Seasons 52 this spring! I am so excited, after seeing it featured by all the FL bloggers! Great job running this morning – time for me to go run!

5 Sweet and Fit January 24, 2009 at 11:17 am

great job on your race! I give you so much credit for getting up at the crack of dawn and getting out there in the unbearable cold weather!

6 Steph January 24, 2009 at 11:22 am

congratulations! looks fun.
also- just thought i’d let you know, Caitlin’s new blog on your blogroll doesn’t link to it because there are two ‘/’s at the end of the address :)

7 Sarah January 24, 2009 at 11:27 am

great job managing the cold. you did it … again!!

8 sarahannmatheny January 24, 2009 at 11:31 am

So awesome! You all are so cute in the morning =) Glad you had a great race! Now just run that 9 times, and you’ve got your marathon!

9 VeggieGirl January 24, 2009 at 11:33 am

Kudos for running in the cold!! You did fabulously!!

Any mini Larabars?? ;-)

10 Erica January 24, 2009 at 11:39 am

Such cute pictures. Glad you made it through the race despite the cold! Its 60ish here today, so I will try pushing the warmth your way ;). I am coming down to the jacksonville area in February to train to teach a new group fitness class. I am hoping I may be able to meet up with you and Caitlin (although I know it’d mean a little more driving :)). I will let you guys know!

11 John/Dad January 24, 2009 at 11:39 am

sounds like you had FUN !! and I cant wait to hear more on the baking if you need a victom to try something out on just let me know ?? It might be a dangerous job but I will push myself try some of the baking and sushi results ?

12 Laura January 24, 2009 at 11:40 am

Great job, especially in the cold you aren’t used to!

I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

13 carolinebee January 24, 2009 at 11:43 am

congrats meghann!!!! That is so awesome, esp with that crazy cold! My friends just went to Florida for a dance comp..and they just brought shorts and tanks to play around in the sun :-/ haha not so much this week..

14 ksgoodeats January 24, 2009 at 11:45 am

Great job!! YAY WCMN :)

15 Mica January 24, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Congratulations on your race! That is awesome, especially given the adverse conditions. I love the picture of you three huddled in the car!

16 Whitney January 24, 2009 at 12:01 pm

So I figured I would hit all technologies and comment on your blog as well haha. I wish we would have seen each other – I did not realize there would be that many people! Did you happen to go to the Body Fat Measurement table? That was interesting haha! Congrats again on your PR!

17 jenngirl January 24, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Congrats!! That cold weather must have been rough, you did great :)

18 Sharon January 24, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Wow, awesome job Meghann!

19 Marissa January 24, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Fun!!

20 caitlin January 24, 2009 at 12:53 pm

ahhhh i missed gina!! i came home and seriously crashed and burned!

21 Kate January 24, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Congratulations! The neighborhood looks so beautiful and quaint.

22 elise January 24, 2009 at 1:14 pm

hooray for a blogger packed race…you guys are so cute. im pretty jealous, its way too cold to run outside here.

23 Justy2003 January 24, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Great job on the race! Too bad it was so chilly out…yuck!

24 Sarah January 24, 2009 at 1:24 pm

great job on the race—i’m jealous of the blogger meet-up, you’re all so cute!

25 Justy2003 January 24, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Oh, PS…I just left a donation and didn’t change my name on it, but I’m Justine. Didn’t want you to wonder who it was! :)

26 janeterin January 24, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Congrats on your race!! You guys are fast. :) I might do a 5K next weekend and you guys will be my inspiration!

27 Lee January 24, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Do you get a discount at the restaurant for running the race? I love, love, love Seasons 52.

28 Melissa January 24, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Great job on the race. 40 degrees is downright balmy in my mind! :) me jealous, never…maybe a little!

I would love to donate to your marathon, but I actually donated about $500 dollars to LLS last year, and I plan to mentor for the NYC and San Fransisco marathons this year, so I will also be fundraising for TNT myself. However, you never know!

29 Shelby January 24, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Great Race!!!

I am with you on the Clif Bar, I had to eat it at 2 different times because it was more like a dessert!

30 eatingbender January 24, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Sounds like a great race!! I’m really enjoying all the blogger activities. It’s so much fun to read about bloggers meeting other bloggers…you are so right when you say it’s like meeting a long lost friend!

I’m glad you like the Clif bar – it is definitely really rich. I couldn’t believe it was a Clif bar at first…hence my Krispy Kreme comparison, lol :)

31 Melissa S. January 24, 2009 at 3:45 pm

ahhhh….one second dangit! sooooo close!

but you deserve the win! yay!

32 Nicole January 24, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Congrats!

I agree with on the bar! It reminds me of a super rich rice krispies treat.

33 Kristin January 24, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Great job on the race!!

Just wanted to let you know I gave you a shoutout on my blog this morning… hope it helps!!

34 Hangry Pants January 24, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Great job Meghann! It is so fun that you got to do the race with other bloggers. It’s so fun to see.

Mark liked that Clif bar too. He said it was like a cookie, which is not a bad thing. :D

35 lauren January 24, 2009 at 8:25 pm

great job on the race! looks like so much fun and you all are speed demons!

36 Aggie January 24, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Great job Meghann!! I did this race a couple of years ago, it was my first 5k ever so it’s a favorite of mine. I was planning on doing it again this year but I am not where I want to be yet with running…it would have been great to meet up with you all!!

I am training for the Danskin in May so will def be doing some 5ks in the next couple of months. Will let you know which one so we can plan to meet up if you are there!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!