We Have Chosen Hope Over Fear

by Meghann on January 20, 2009

Our nation is at war, against a far-reaching network of violence and hatred.

Our economy is badly weakened, a consequence of greed and irresponsibility on the part of some, but also our collective failure to make hard choices and prepare the nation for a new age. Homes have been lost, jobs shed, businesses shuttered. Our health care is too costly, our schools fail too many, and each day brings further evidence that the ways we use energy strengthen our adversaries and threaten our planet.

The time has come to set aside childish things. Today, I say to you that the challenges we face are real. They are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time.

But know this, America — they will be met.

What a speech!

I was not one of the lucky 2 million spectators who stood in 14 degree temperatures witnessing Obama’s inaugural speech in person, but I still felt the energy and pride from the comforts of my own living room.

I planned my lunch hour perfectly so I could watch the speech live. It was an amazing thing to witness and gave me so much faith and hope in our country. I am so proud to be an American and believe in our undenying prosperous  future.

What did everyone else think? Do you feel as inspired as I do?

Let’s see if my food can be just as inspiring. ( like the segway? lol)

The other day I finally found some of the new Kashi Bars at Target. I am really dying to try the Pumpkin Pie one I have seen floating around, but the only one on the shelf was the Raspberry Chocolate. I decided to take my chances and give it a try.

DSCN2021

At first I was a little disappointed by the size. I put the pen there for comparison.

DSCN2022

However, I was also really happy to see the thick layer of chocolate fudge on top. It looked so good, and reminded me of those Little Debbies Fudgy Brownies I grew up on.

One bite of the bar and I was sold. This thing was good!! The chocolate fudge layer tasted as good as it looked which really surprised me considering the bar was only 120 calories. I can’t wait to try all of the other flavors, this bar definitely has me impressed.

For lunch I used my amazing Farmer’s Market Rosemary Olive Oil Foccacia bread to make a kick ass sandwich.

DSCN2024

I ‘grilled’ the bread with Turkey, Spinach, Tomato and a spread of Tomato Chutney mixed with Honey Mustard. This baby was GOOD!

DSCN2029

I also had some Broccoli Slaw with some of Annie’s Yogurt Cucumber Dressing.

DSCN2025

and a Tangerine.

DSCN2028

All enjoyed while watching Obama’s Speech. 🙂

DSCN2030

I also  had a piece of chocolate while heading out the door. (no picture)

Now I feel pumped and motivated to finish my day at work! Woo hoo!

1 Sara January 20, 2009 at 1:51 pm

What a delicious looking lunch!

2 Mica January 20, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Haha, yes! An *inspiring* lunch! Seriously though, your blog is a big inspiration to me and, I’m sure, everyone else! Yay for healthy eats (and Obama!!)

3 brandi January 20, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I think he is such a great speaker; there were many things in his speech that gave me goosebumps.

I want some of that bread! 🙂 That sandwich looks awesome

4 caitlin January 20, 2009 at 2:00 pm

i cant wait to watch it later!!

ok can you comment now?

5 Julz January 20, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I was so moved it was unbelievable! I cried so hard, I was SH0CKED! I was inspired, moved, and I connected with EVERY W0RD 0F THAT SPEECH!

It really makes my heart sing, to think of H0W MUCH I L0VE MY PRESIDENT! I am so proud of him and so proud of my country… I will NEVER forget the Beauty of this day, as long as I live. 0-YEAH 😉

6 Natalie January 20, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Yes! It was definitely inspiring, I was in tears!

It was such an amazing moment! It makes me want to make the most out of my life and push myself beyond my limits, and help bring change to this world! Yay!!! 🙂

7 Sharon January 20, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I was able to catch some of it too, even though I am Canadian! Really great speech!

8 Lis January 20, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Great looking lunch! I’m so excited for the next four years with Obama as President- I love his attitude of hope and practicality at the same time.

I LOVE the Pumpkin Pie kashi bars! They have this yummy, gooey layer of pumpkin with walnuts on top and they are so good! I also like the dark chocolate coconut, but the pumpkin pie ones are the best.

Great blog!

Love,
Lis

9 Eliza January 20, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Obama’s speech was amazing and inspirational! i’m so excited to have someone like him leading the country! have a good day!

10 caitlin January 20, 2009 at 2:16 pm

ugh im glad you liked me keepign the format because switching looked like it was going to be a pain in the arse. blogger sucks, and its nearly impossible to switch out of it. in the end, i just took the easy route. 🙁

11 Ryan January 20, 2009 at 2:19 pm

It WAS SO SO inspiring! I cried when he took his oath…couldn’t help myself, it’s just so amazing! Definitely feeling motivated today!

That bar looks great! I haven’t seen those around yet, but I’ll definitely have to try some. Great sandwich too!

12 Shelby January 20, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I was really inspired by the whole thing! I wasn’t really into it this whole time (I was a big supporter of Obama though) but when I saw the speeches and everything I almost teared up!

13 fitforfree January 20, 2009 at 2:35 pm

It was so inspiring!! I wish I could have been there. I feel SO lucky to be alive for this.

14 Mary January 20, 2009 at 2:37 pm

I haven’t had the raspberry chocolate bar yet, but I have had the pumpkin pie one and it’s to die for! There’s this delicious gooey layer of pumpkin pie on top! They have a coconut dark chocolate one too. My grocery store had all Kashi items 25% off last week!

15 Erin January 20, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Ugh I didn’t watch it yet! I had to teach class and then had two of my own but we DVR’d the whole thing. 🙂

16 dailygoods January 20, 2009 at 3:19 pm

i went to the gym during lunch and watched the speech on the tv on my machine! it was a great day!! i want to try those new kashi bars so bad! i haven’t seen them anywhere yet! they look absolutely divine 🙂 and that sandwich… yum! that bread looks so good

17 ksgoodeats January 20, 2009 at 3:42 pm

That was one fiiiiine speech 🙂

Now that you mention the Little Debbie’s brownies I agree! I couldn’t put my finger on it but YES that’s it!!

18 Allison January 20, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Seriously – his speech was amazing! He is such a captivating speaker!

19 Jen January 20, 2009 at 4:08 pm

I missed the speech 🙁 darn classes!!

I too was so disapointed with the size of the new Kashi bars (pumpkin pie and chocolate coconut are what I have) BUT THE taste wins it over!!!! 🙂

20 ttfn300 January 20, 2009 at 4:12 pm

definately a great speech 🙂 especially the part about putting science back to its rightful place!

i bought those bars, too!! can’t wait to try it now 🙂

21 Bridget January 20, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I’ve never seen those bars, but will be on the lookout now!!

22 sarahannmatheny January 20, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Great lunch—the speech and the sandwich!!!

23 kathleen January 20, 2009 at 5:49 pm

i’ve had the coconut chocolate kashi bars and they are amazing. i have only been able to find them at target though…wah wah.

24 Sarah W. January 20, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Obama is such a phenomenal speaker! I live about 30 mins from DC and I did NOT go into the city to stand outside like sardines. I chose to avoid the crowds and watch it inside and I was ok with it.

The sammich looked yum!

25 Kate January 20, 2009 at 6:18 pm

wow! I didn’t know Kashi had new flavors! I gotta finish my pb ones….then I’ll buy them:) Finding new, good bread is always exciting.

26 carolinebee January 20, 2009 at 6:31 pm

saaweet you got to go home! my mom made me dvr the entire day of inauguration coverage, i’m kinda scared to go home..

27 Melissa S. January 20, 2009 at 8:01 pm

omg i know! isn’t that bar amazing! i bought mine at target too last time i was there…dang being so far away from society sucks! haha!

28 angiismyname January 20, 2009 at 8:34 pm

I am not a fan of Obama but I had to admit that he is an eloquent speaker.
BOO

29 Melissa January 20, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Thanks for the bar review. They look great albiet small. Must find them.

30 Meredith January 20, 2009 at 11:25 pm

Oh wow, I totally want to try that new kashi bar! I missed the inauguration today while I was at school, but hopefully I’ll be able to catch it online somewhere – I heard his speech was amazing.

31 Stephanie January 21, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I agree, angi, I am not an Obama fan. Sure, its moving that we made history and all, but I wish it was with someone other than Obama.