New Eats

by Meghann on January 20, 2009

For the second day in a row I survived the afternoon with no snack.

I started to realize I was eating my afternoon snack out of habit instead of hunger. Yesterday, I had an off site meeting and forgot about my snack , then today I was so busy at work that before I knew it it was after 3:00 and I felt as if I was still satisfied from lunch.

I’m not saying I’m giving up my snack, I am just going to listen to my body more and when I’m hungry then I’ll eat a snack, but if I’m eating something just because its there then I am going to try and stop myself from indulging.

The one downside with no snack is the fact that I’m ready for dinner so much sooner. I was at the table eating before 6:00 tonight! At least I enjoyed every bite. πŸ™‚

I had a wonderful three part dinner, which included two new eats.

DSCN2031.JPG

New Eat #1: the Autumn Harvest Orzo I bought at the Farmers Market on Sunday.

DSCN2038.JPG

I’ll admit the orzo did not have as strong of flavors as I was hoping. It was still there, just very faint. Next time I cook it, I will be sure to add some pumpkin spice to the water I cook it in.

DSCN2032.JPG

New Eat #2: This wonderful Sauteed Greens & Apple recipe I found in the blog world. Only difference was I used Kale instead of Collards. It was DELISH! Such a great combination. I have really been digging apples lately if you couldn’t tell.

DSCN2033.JPG

And lastly, I grilled a small Chicken Breast on the George Foreman with Curry Powder.

DSCN2034.JPG

Dessert was my new Carmel Praline Crunch FroYo with fresh Strawberries.

DSCN2040.JPG

In my head strawberries always makes a dessert appear healthier. πŸ™‚

Is anyone else watching Biggest Loser? I can’t believe she just consumer 2700 calories on that one plate! My stomach actually feels sick thinking about all she ate – two slices of pizza, 2 cupcakes, 5 chicken nuggets and a taco. Yuck!

Do you think you would fall for the temptations on Biggest Loser?

1 Maggie January 20, 2009 at 8:33 pm

I love apples πŸ™‚ I will have to watch BL tonight…

2 Justy2003 January 20, 2009 at 8:39 pm

I agree about the afternoon snack thing! I used to eat a snack at 10:00 and at 3:00, then I realized I was just doing it out of habit/boredom and wasn’t really hungry most of the time. Now I hardly ever have snacks!

I’m getting ready to watch the Biggest Loser now! I usually DVR it then start watching so I can skip the commercials. As far as temptations go, I may grab just a bite of the desserts during some of them…mostly cuz I just have a sweet tooth and would probably feel deprived after no sweets for so long!

3 Erin January 20, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I am watching it right now, ugh yuck. Those ladies annoy me

4 Erica January 20, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Dinner looks great meghann! I love orzo, but I have never seen the multi color variety! And of course your dessert looks incredible!

5 Erin January 20, 2009 at 8:55 pm

What a great realization you had today! I’m with you – trying to follow less of a schedule and eating more according to my body’s needs (versus to wants of my mouth, which can’t be satisfied!).

6 ttfn300 January 20, 2009 at 9:00 pm

ooh, i saw that greens and apples recipe! i decided on something else though πŸ™‚ yeah silver team is ANNOYING…

7 Bridget January 20, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I completely agree about the snacking- I realized I was eating my morning snack out of habit and that I enjoy my lunch more when I skip it.

I’m watching BL and I can’t believe she ate that much! If I was in that situation, I *hope* I would resist completely, because I know myself and sometimes once I have a bite (especially of sweets), I just want more!

8 Shelby January 20, 2009 at 9:03 pm

I tried that apples recipe and I thought is was mighty tasty as well.

9 Melissa S. January 20, 2009 at 9:17 pm

omg, even though i’m a veg, your chicken is making me drool. LOL.

10 Danielle January 20, 2009 at 9:19 pm

We had very similar dinners again, LOL. Although I’d definitely trade my boring brown rice for some of that orzo.
Have a great night!

11 Allison January 20, 2009 at 9:41 pm

WOW – even though the orzo might not have been as flavorful as you wanted, it sure looks really darn TASTY! πŸ™‚

I can’t believe how big they are this season on Biggest Loser – it’s crazy!

12 Mica January 20, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Ugh, I am SO bad at listening to my body about hunger. I should actually try eating more snacks to keep hunger at bay.

I don’t watch BL, so I have nothing to say about that. BUUUUT strawberries do make dessert healthier. It’s 100% scientifically proven by me!

13 Ricki January 20, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Hi Meghann,

So glad that you liked the recipe! I’ve been having it every few days and am still not tired of it. πŸ™‚ I’ve never watched Biggest Loser (too close to home, I’m afraid), but my sister watches it all the time and loves it. Maybe I should finally check it out!

14 Victoria January 20, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I love the biggest loser, and I never know if I would fall for the temptations. I can see how to some of them, some of the monetary temptations could be really hard to pass up.

That orzo, regardless of taste, looks so amazing! I love colorful food!

15 Meg January 20, 2009 at 9:45 pm

What a great dinner. I made the orzo with a pumpkin sauce and it seemed to bring out the flavor a little. Great idea to put pumpkin spice in the water.

16 Missy (MISSY MAINTAINS) January 20, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Dinner looks delicious! I know what you mean about the afternoon snack. I am never actually hungry but I either eat it because it is there, out of boredom, or because I know I am going to the gym after work. I should listen to my body more too.

17 ksgoodeats January 20, 2009 at 9:55 pm

I thought your chicken was a panini at first – haha looks great though!

I’ve only seen one episode of BL but that gray/silver team….what the heck?! The episode I saw was when the trainer flips on her – she deserved it!

18 Nicole January 20, 2009 at 10:03 pm

What pretty pasta! I love the combo of apples and greens, too. Mmmmmm πŸ˜€

19 gina (fitnessista) January 20, 2009 at 10:05 pm

that orzo looks incredible! you always make such pretty meals for yourself πŸ˜€ when i lived in an apt by myself, i ate a lot of soup and popcorn
i caught the end of biggest loser but missed most of it :/
hope you have a wonderful night!

20 Ryan January 20, 2009 at 10:05 pm

I’m not watching, but 2700 calories? Disgusting!!

I can definitely relate to eating out of habit…great idea to monitor how you’re feeling!

21 dailygoods January 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm

ah I can’t believe damien got kicked off!! I’m right with you about the afternoon snacking. In my head I know it’s snack time so I eat without thinking if I’m actually hungry or not. Awesome eats tonight girl! I’m always so envious of your meal combos they always look amazing!

22 Sara January 20, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Dinner looks great! And so does dessert! πŸ˜‰

23 Sharon January 20, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Wow, the combo of greens with apples looks amazing!

24 Julz January 20, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Beautiful! I’m not a snacker (Ed says snacking = unneccessary caloric damage… What an IDI0T!), but I am S0 PR0UD 0F Y0U F0R rethinking your snackies in terms of your intuition… THat’s amazing πŸ™‚ What a connection with your body! G0 MEGHANN!

I don’t watch Biggest Loser! SHit, I want to, though! I only watch TV when I’m eating (I know that’s bad… But I do and it makes it so much easier for me to eat when I’m also concentrating on something else. When I’m not watching TV, I just stress about my meals too much. ) , so I rarely TUNE in to shows!

That is frightening. I’ve had nightmares where I’ve eaten a lot of food like that. AHH!

25 HangyYPants January 20, 2009 at 11:25 pm

I saw that BL nastiness! I think I would resist the temptation. I mean if I were on the BL that means I am on a weight LOSS show people!

Anyway, that orzo looks amazing. Super duper jealous of that one, my friend.

– Heather

26 HangryPants January 20, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Alright I had to comment again because my name was still wrong and it was saved like that so I had to fix it. Ok ‘night.

27 carolinebee January 20, 2009 at 11:58 pm

It seems like they are prone to give in to weakness, or set up, simply because they are worked SO hard, and have so much pressure, and food is so tied to coping mechanisms and emotions…ah it seems so hard!! What a fun meal…I also suggest adding chicken buillon (cube or broth) or seasoning to the water before cooking it, that always adds some good flav πŸ˜€

28 eatingbender January 20, 2009 at 11:59 pm

That orzo looks delicious!

I’m way behind on this but I just caught up on your exciting announcement and would be pumped to help you out in some way! I’m so excited for you! What a great opportunity πŸ™‚

29 marafaye January 21, 2009 at 6:24 am

That orzo looks awesome!

30 Sarah January 21, 2009 at 7:47 am

that orzo is so colorful! but i have the same problem with never being able to taste the different flavors in tri-colored pasta. it’d be a good homemade pasta experiment …

i get stuck in so many food habits, too — good for you for listening to hunger signals!

31 Sarah W. January 21, 2009 at 8:05 am

that orzo looked devine!

if I was on BL, I would not give into temptation – eff that, Bob & Jillian are working me way too hard for me to completely screw up their efforts!!

32 VeggieGirl January 21, 2009 at 8:09 am

LOOOOOVE kale!!

33 brandi January 21, 2009 at 10:13 am

Yum – that orzo looks great.

I am not watching BL yet this season. I usually love them, but my husband asked me not to get into this season yet – he doesn’t mind watching them, but he doesn’t want to watch 2 hours of it every week…so I’ve resisted πŸ™‚

They do try to tempt them like crazy sometimes! I don’t know if I’d be able to resist!

34 Katie January 21, 2009 at 10:42 am

31 degrees would feel like a heat wave in Ohio! lol

I felt the same way about Biggest Loser last night. It made me sad because there was a time I would have eaten all of that and thought it was “normal.” Not anymore, though. I don’t think I’d give in to the food temptations.

35 Alexia January 21, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Dinner looked great!

I can’t believe BL!!! I can’t believe she ate so much food! That way crazy! I don’t think I would fall for the temptations. I just think falling for them sets you back so much. I wish they would have sent Joelle home, even though I think Carla deserves to be there and is working hard.

36 Andrea [bella eats] January 21, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Mmmm kale…how I love thee. πŸ™‚ I’ve never tried it with anything but garlic though, I bet apples would be delicious!