An Announcement

by Meghann on January 19, 2009

Thank you everyone for all of your advice and well wishes on my Team in Training decision. I have thought long and hard about the opportunity and have decided to dive on in!

That’s right I have committed myself to raise $3,900 in support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and in return I will run the Rock n Roll San Diego Marathon on May 31st!

I am unbelievably excited for this opportunity and invite all of you along on my journey as I chronicle my training and fund raising efforts.

I was scared at first at the task of raising so much money, but have decided to not let that hold me back. This is an unbelievably great cause and I always knew if I ever ran a marathon that I would want it to mean something and I know I can make a difference to somebody out there through this.

Now, with that being said I am going to need all of your help to see me through this. Once I put my thinking hat on all of these fund raising ideas came pouring out of me. I am part of an amazing blogging community and when it came down to it this blog will be my greatest resource on this new journey.

As of this month all of the advertising proceeds from graduatemeghann.com will be donated to my Team in Training efforts. So next time you visit my blog, think of it as a visit for a good cause. In fact feel free to press refresh so we can get those impressions soaring.

On top of that I have tons of idea for blogging relating fund raising efforts. For starters how does everyone feel about a Blogging Bake Sale? Would some of my fellow bloggers be willing to donate a baked good for the cause? I’m still trying to work out the logisitcs for this one.

Also, I have opened a Spread Shirt account and have enlisted the help of Zesty Cook to aide me in designing some fun Food/ Running related t-shirts. I was thinking some funny ones along the lines of “I Run So I Can Eat What I Want” or “Eat Run Blog” Let me know if you have any ideas of a t-shirt you would love to own!

So what do you guys think?!?! Are you willing to help me? I’m sure if we all work on this together we can raise a load of money for a wonderful cause!

I plan to add a page to this blog documenting my fund raising efforts and will post more info on how to donate as it comes available. I just signed the dotted line today so I’m still learning.

Thank you again for making me believe that I can do this! You guys are the best and I am so proud to be a Blogger!!

1 Maggie January 19, 2009 at 1:41 pm

CONGRATS! What an awesome goal :)

2 dailygoods January 19, 2009 at 1:43 pm

that is an amazing goal! you all know we are here to support you in any way possible Meghann!!

3 Ryan January 19, 2009 at 1:45 pm

This is SO SO awesome Meghann! I’ll help in any way that I can :) I love the t-shirt idea!

4 Elsa January 19, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Congrats for committing! The SD is a beautiful marathon to run, let alone it being your first full one. I can’t wait to see you through your journey!
Oh and I love the T-shirt idea! I would totally buy one!

5 Carolyn January 19, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Just so I can be sure to help you out…if we are reading you through Google reader we need to make sure we come to your actual site so that you can get the ad $ correct? I also think the tshirt idea is great and I would put my order in for the run so I can eat shirt! Great idea.

Good luck.

6 *Andrea* January 19, 2009 at 1:52 pm

congrats!!!! you can totally raise the money!!! i am doing a service trip to armenia in 2 months and i raised $500 in a week simply by sending out letters to family and friends about the cause (and in the envelopes with the letter i gave them envelopes already stamped and addressed to me so all they had to do was put a check in it!)… i will definitely visit your blog a lot to up the ad money…. i thin the t-shirt idea is great too! gooooo meghann ;) you rock!

7 Heather Eats Almond Butter January 19, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Congrats on your decision Meghann. I’ll help in any way I can. Baked good donation? Definitely! Just let me know when.

8 jenngirl January 19, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Congrats!! That is such an admirable goal! My grandmother died of leukemia, and my family has been involved with the Leukemia and Lymphoma society for years.

Good luck with everything!

9 Mel January 19, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Congrats! I will totally help out if you need it! Baked goods, t-shirts whatever!

10 ttfn300 January 19, 2009 at 1:57 pm

eat run blog, hehe :) ooh, CONGRATS on starting this journey! your words are making mine seem silly… but you’re right, the fundraising shouldn’t be an obstacle, it should be inspiration. way to go, i’ll do what i can!

11 Beadie January 19, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Congrats, what a great goal you have!!

The baked good donation and the t-shirts are a great idea. I would love a shirt that said “Eat, Live, Blog”

12 Meg January 19, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Wonderful cause and great ideas. I will do everything I can do to help!

13 Melissa January 19, 2009 at 2:08 pm

YAY, how very, very exciting! I’m sure with the excellent blog community, you will raise it in no time!!

14 One Healthy Apple January 19, 2009 at 2:08 pm

I really admire you for doing this! Good luck with everything- I think you will have plenty of time and this money will go towards a great cause. Good luck!

15 Liz January 19, 2009 at 2:11 pm

That’s awesome Megan. I’m a blood stem cell researcher and so I am excited that you will be supporting leukemia and lymphoma research!!

16 Dani January 19, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I think what your doing is GREAT! My father is a survivor of Lymphoma, so I will def. be visiting your page often and hitting my refresh button… Best of luck in your journey…

17 Lee January 19, 2009 at 2:12 pm

That’s great! If you need any additional graphic design type help for your shirts, let me know!

18 Marianne January 19, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Good luck with your fundraising goals – I know how much work it can be to fundraise, but if you are committed, you’ll reach them. And your blogging bake sale sounds intriguing…I do love to bake!

19 whitneyinchicago January 19, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Very awesome goal. I raised money in college for St. Jude and it is hard but very rewarding. Don’t feel bad asking you friends and family through letterwriting. Most people can afford a $5-10 donation and every little bit really does add up.

Good luck!

20 Sarah January 19, 2009 at 2:18 pm

All right, Meghann!! Sign me up for an “I run so I can eat what I want” t-shirt — I’d be willing to spend an entire week’s entertainment budget ($20) on it, haha. I’m so impressed with your plans and all your creative ideas to reach your goals. Keep it up!

21 Mica January 19, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Sweet deal! I love your ideas and your enthusiasm! I’m looking forward to hearing about your progress and fundraising in the coming months!

22 VeggieGirl January 19, 2009 at 2:23 pm

This is FANTASTIC, Meghann!!! You’re such an inspiration – good luck!!!

23 Justy2003 January 19, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Congrats on signing up for your first marathon! I can’t wait to read all about your journey there!

24 Amy January 19, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Oh man, congrats!!!! What an inspiring thing you’re doing, in more ways than one! I am so excited, proud, and happy for you. I would totally love a tshirt…I can’t bake, but I am very artistic, so if it helps…let me know! I also do a lot of graphic design on the web, so please—id love to help in any way!
LOVE YA! cant wait for the journey to begin =)

25 Sara B January 19, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I love the t-shirt idea! I would totally buy one!!!

26 Allison January 19, 2009 at 3:02 pm

YAY MEGHANN!

That’s fantastic!

I LOVED that t-shirt that you saw at the running expo (something about calories in a bottle of wine = 5 miles or something)

Make one of those, I’ll buy 5! :P

27 lauren January 19, 2009 at 3:05 pm

exciting stuff! I cant wait to see how your marathon training goes and I am definitely willing to help…

28 caitlin January 19, 2009 at 3:12 pm

yay i am excited for you! good luck with fundraising. and marathoning, of course!!

29 Kristin January 19, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Congrats!! Yes, yes and yes! I will definitely help in any way I can- I will buy a t-shirt (one of each, both sound cute!), and contribute baked goods! Anything you need, let me know! I support you 100%!!

30 Julz January 19, 2009 at 3:36 pm

MEGHANN!!! I’m so freaking proud of you, Boo!! This is HUGE and you will SURPASS this goal! I would L0VE to help you out in ANY way that I can!

I think a cute idea for a shirt would be for the front to have a girl running from the front and have “Here Comes Trouble…” and on the back have the girl running from the back/away, reading “There Goes Trouble…”

0R on the Front Have “RUN…” and on the back “IS MY RELIGI0N”… (Kinda ilke the Bob Marley song “Love Is My Religion”

I’ll ask my dad too! He’s the Representative Prezzy for Jansport (backpacks) and he designs the clothing in college bookstores by Jansport! His ideas are INCREDIBLE, so I’ll call him up and ask him tonight! (My parents are in Mexico right now…LUCKY!!)

Anyways, Y0U KICK ASS, BABY GIRL! :)

31 tami January 19, 2009 at 3:41 pm

maybe a food auction

everyone can commit to make something, we will send you a picture of it, then people can bid on what they would pay for it?

i am very proud of you, i have thoughts of running a marathon but just can’t commit yet…

keep us posted on how we can help.

32 kristi January 19, 2009 at 3:41 pm

That is such a great idea! I would also be willing to help you in any way! What you are doing is so awesome girl!

33 Nicole January 19, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Congrats on the decision! I know you can raise the money! I would definitely donate some baked goods.

34 Andrea [bella eats] January 19, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Yay!!! Congrats on the decision! I’d be happy to donate baked goods for an online bake sale…how fun!

35 Victoria January 19, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Sounds great. I would be willing to bake something for a bake sale!

36 angiismyname January 19, 2009 at 4:49 pm

i wanna bake something for the bake sale!

37 Alexia January 19, 2009 at 4:54 pm

WAY TO GO! I will see what I can do on my end to help out! Good luck!

38 Erica January 19, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Let me know what I can do to help!

39 Andrea January 19, 2009 at 5:27 pm

You and your great ideas kick ass! You know we’ll help you in any way we can!

40 HangryPants January 19, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Awesome decision! I will bake anything you want!

Also guess who just got her goodies for you at Trader Joes? Me!!

41 sweetandnatural January 19, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Congrats on your decision!

42 sarahannmatheny January 19, 2009 at 5:33 pm

That’s fantastic, Meghann!

I will do anything I can to help raise the moolah, including bake, buy T-shirts, stalk your blog, etc. Just let us know how to help!

43 Shelby January 19, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Congratulations! I am so excited for you =)

44 Sarah January 19, 2009 at 6:29 pm

That is so exciting. I am all signed up for that marathon and am very excited. I will def. buy a shirt!

45 Sharon January 19, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Such great ideas! I think the baking sounds awesome!

46 Sammie January 19, 2009 at 7:06 pm

I would love to help. I will definitely donate a baked good if you think it could make the trip to you in the mail. I love your t-shirt idea – I would buy one.

47 Olga January 19, 2009 at 7:40 pm

What a FABULOUS idea and goal! I am so excited for you. Yes, bring on the t-shirts. Who doesn’t love t-shirts? I personally always wanted one that said “Will run for food.” Because, well, I would!

And the baking sale sounds so great too. I’m sure VeggieGirl’s goodies would put mad money in the bank!!!

We’re here to support you!

48 Sarah W. January 19, 2009 at 8:31 pm

I’m glad you commited to the great cause – your ideas so far about raising $$ are excellent!!

49 Kristie January 19, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Wonderful decision and you’ve got some awesome ideas for raising money! I know you can do it! I love the idea of a blogger bake sale, I hope you can somehow make that work, I think it’d be so cool!
I’ll be sure to visit all the time and refresh plenty for you, starting right now!

50 Melissa S. January 19, 2009 at 9:34 pm

yay for the goal and the different ideas you’ve come up with! everything sounds amazing!! i will def be on the ready to help out in any way i can because i know on top of the fundraising, that the sd marathon is soooo much fun!

51 Melissa January 19, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Yay Meghann, I am so glad you decided to go for it! TNT is literally the best organization in the world! Ok, a little biased, but definitely up there. PS We often refer to it as Team in Dating!

52 Kelly's Belly January 19, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Good luck Meghann! You’re going to be so great at this… can’t wait to read about all of your training.

I saw a shirt once that said “I’m only running now so I can drink more wine later”…seems like you perhaps hahah?

thanks for such a great blog! i just started my own, too kelbelblogs.blogspot.com

have fun runninggg

53 branappetit January 19, 2009 at 10:02 pm

I think it sounds awesome, Meghann!!!

I would love to help out however I can – and those tshirts sound great :)

54 Kelly's Belly January 19, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Good luck meghann! If you can stay as committed as you are to health you are going to be a great trainee! Can’t wait to read about all of your triumphs.

I saw a good shirt once that reminds me of you (well what I can gather of you from your blog

‘I’m only running now so I can drink more wine later”

haha!

Thanks for all your inspiration…I just started my own blog, too. kelbelblogs.blogspot.com.

Have some fun running :-)
Kelly

55 MaryBe January 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm

You are so caring and giving and completely self-less! Let us know what we can do to help, the legions of bloggers are here for you!

56 nicci January 20, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I really love the t-shirt idea!

57 Ann January 20, 2009 at 2:56 pm

That’s wonderful! I’ll certainly be refreshing the page a lot to help your advertising efforts, and the bake sale idea sounds wonderful as well! I’d certainly buy some things, more than half the things I see on the blogs I read regularly make me drool. :P

One of my grandparents actually died of leukemia, and my other 3 grandparents all had forms of cancer at one point. I’m really proud of you for taking the challenge of helping those who are in need of it. We need more people in the world like you.