A Beautiful Day Outside

by Meghann on January 18, 2009

It was a BEAUTIFUL day here in Central Florida. The sun was shining bright, there were not a cloud in the sky and the temperature was a cool and comfortable 70 degrees. If you had to describe perfect weather for a perfect day,I believe this was it. And believe me I took complete advantage of it. πŸ™‚

My Parents brought their Boxer, Scooby, up to spend the day with Abbie. They really are the best of friends and even felt the need to share a seat in the Expedition.

DSCN1932.JPG

Our first stop of the day was a local Farmers Market right down the street from where I live.

DSCN1938.JPG

I had never been to this particular Farmers Market, but was really impressed with the atmosphere and variety of local booths. My Dad and I particularly enjoyed the Fresh Fruit and Vegetables that were available.

DSCN1933.JPG

Everything looked great and was at a killer price. Check these strawberries out.. only $2.00 a pint!

DSCN1942.JPG

I even found some great Autumn Harvest Orzo that smelled heavenly, with a flavor of pumpkin dominating the scent. I plan on making a Squash Soup this week that will pair perfectly with this orzo.

DSCN1940.JPG

Here’s my loot from the Farmers Market.

DSCN1967.JPG

• Foccacia Rosemary & Olive Oil Bread ….. $5.00
  • Mango Papaya Scone ….. $2.00
  • 2 Pints of Strawberries ….. $3.00
  • 4 Tomatoes ….. $2.00
  • Acorn Squash ….. $0.80/lb
  • Brussel Sprouts ….. $2.50
  • 5 Green Apples ….. $2.00
  • Indian Eggplant ….. $2.50
  • 1/2 lb Autumn Harvest Orzo ….. $4.00
  • Lemon Garlic Orzo ….. $4.00
  • Green Bell Pepper… ??
  • Red Bell Pepper ….. ??

After the Farmers Market I took my parents to my favorite Dog Park so Abbie and Scooby could run off some energy.

DSCN1954.JPG

They had a blast splashing in the war and playing with all the other dogs. My parents were very impress with the dog park and I believe Scooby enjoyed his first visit as well.

DSCN1950.JPG

After the dogs had their fill of the park we continued to enjoy the beautiful weather at one of my favorite streets to dine on in Baldwin Park. We sat outside and had lunch at a cute little Mexican Resteraunt called Coliberi.

DSCN1958.JPG

I was not particulary hungry when we ate and knew it would be an early dinner so I just ordered a bowl of the Sopa de Pollo for my meal.

DSCN1961.JPG

I also nibbled on a couple of Tortilla Chips with my soup.

DSCN1964.JPG

The soup was very salty for my taste, but also very flavorful. I enjoyed my light lunch and would love to happily return to Colibri in the future.

Through out our lunch both Abbie and Scooby found their way on my Dad’s lap at some point.

DSCN1957.JPG  DSCN1960.JPG

I believe originally I was suppose to prepare dinner for my parents, but my Dad got an idea for Paella in his head and he was dying to try it. Of course I was not going to stand in his way in the kitchen so I gave him full reign and happily relaxed on my couch as he prepared a yummy meal.

The Paella of course came out so amazing and was so beautiful in the pan.

DSCN1972.JPG

I really, really should have had him write down what he threw in there so I could provide you guys with a recipe, but I didn’t even think about it until now. My Dad is an amazing cook and can basically throw anything in a pan have it turn into wonderful flavorful combinations and this was another winner.

DSCN1973.JPG

I do know the Paella contained Saffron, Spanish Rice, Churizo Sausage, Shrimp, Scallops, Red Pepper, Green Pepper, Onions, Chicken Broth, Diced Tomatoes and so much more.

DSCN1976.JPG

With my Paella I enjoyed a piece of the Focaccia we picked up at the Farmers Market this morning.

DSCN1981.JPG

I cleaned my plate, this meal was freaking amazing. Thank you Daddy for taking over my kitchen and making me a wonderful dinner!!!!

For dessert I decided to dig into the new container of FroYo I picked up at Publix today.

DSCN1982.JPG

I had 1/2 cup of the FroYo and 2 Strawberries.

DSCN1983.JPG

Mmmm… the Caramel Praline Crunch was delish! Perfect ending to my weekend of great eats.

I can’t believe I have to go to work tomorrow…. booooooo... I guess I better rest up in preparation of another long work week. Good night!!

1 VeggieGirl January 18, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Scooby and Abbie are too precious!!! πŸ˜€

Soooo envious of your weather and farmer’s market trip – too much snow to enjoy any of that here!!

Hang in there with work tomorrow!!

2 Sweet and Fit January 18, 2009 at 7:28 pm

i can’t believe that you are enjoying such lovely weather! its like 34* here in DC. Your dad really is a wonderful cook, that paella looks so delicious!

3 Mica January 18, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Oooh, fresh produce…what IS that? I haven’t seen a farmer’s market in forever, I’m totally jealous!

Your dad’s paella looks amaaaazing!

4 Shelby January 18, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I am so jealous of your farmer’s market adventure! I’ve never been to one before =(

Amazing food!

5 Rachel January 18, 2009 at 7:35 pm

I AM SO JEALOUS of your weather and your farmer’s market! aaaaaah! I was so happy today because it was like 40 and sunny and I took a walk. Ah, well. Florida!

6 Matt January 18, 2009 at 7:45 pm

that paella looks amazing! you should get the recipe from your dad and post it! i could seriously impress some chicks with that recipe.

7 Danielle January 18, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Oh wow it just started snowing here (again) and all I can think of is how nice 70 degrees would be! It looks like you had a great day with your parents and the dogs look like they had fun too. What a perfect sunday!

8 ksgoodeats January 18, 2009 at 7:50 pm

GORGEOUS weather! Scooby is such a cutie (so is Abbie of course!) I want to get a boxer as my next dog!

Fabulous dinner by the daddy-o!

9 Marianne January 18, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Nice Farmer’s Market – we definitely aren’t getting any local produce like that this time of year! I don’t know if there are any farmer’s markets even going on right now.

Paella looks awesome. Good job Dad!

10 Allison January 18, 2009 at 7:59 pm

I am so in love with Abbie and Scooby! They just made my day! πŸ™‚

That dinner your dad made looks PHENOMENAL! Looks like you and your parents had a great day together! Have a great week!

11 Sarah January 18, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Your market has such good deals!!! In NY, the farmers’ market always costs at least 3x more than the grocery store, grrrr. I need to move south.

And OMG, that paella! I can almost taste it, the colors are so vibrant. Excellent move by dad :-).

12 Nicole January 18, 2009 at 8:16 pm

I am so jealous of the weather and that famer’s market!

Is that a cheerleading hoodie I see? I was an all-star cheerleader until I was 17! I loved it, but I had to stop because of shoulder injuries, boooo.

13 Melissa S. January 18, 2009 at 8:37 pm

oh, i miss my farmer’s market!!! that one looks like so much fun!!

and that paella! so delish looking!!!

14 Meghann January 18, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Nicole – You caught me, its a cheerleader hoodie. I’ve had it since sophomore year of high school, but its still one of my favorite long sleeve shirts to wear. I cheered in high school and was a UCA All Star my senior year. I definitely miss it and dream of coaching little cheerleaders one day.

15 Raspberry Runner January 18, 2009 at 8:38 pm

your farmer’s market trip looks wonderful!! my local farmer’s market is only open may-september so i am really missing it! and your dad’s cooking looks soo good!!

16 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) January 18, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Wow your farmers’ market goods look wonderful!! I saw that you also commented on Lindsay’s blog about her coming to Orlando – let me know if you hear from her!

17 redheadyellowdog January 18, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I love farmers markets! I just went to one around here yesterday!

Man your pictures make me miss florida soo much! Going to law school at UF or FSU is looking better and better the more the temps here drop!

And that paella looks amaaaaazing

18 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) January 18, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Oh nvm, I just checked my email haha.

19 Meg January 18, 2009 at 8:47 pm

What a wonderful day! I have had the autumn harvest orzo and I loved it!

20 Justy2003 January 18, 2009 at 8:47 pm

You don’t get tomorrow off?! Boo!
All that fresh produce from the Farmer’s Market looks great! Yum!

21 Brandi January 18, 2009 at 8:48 pm

I love that picture of Abbie and Scooby sharing the seat – too cute.

That orzo sounds awesome! I can’t wait to get to farmer’s markets again.

I just bought some saffron! I may need to make Paella soon – that looks really good

22 bobbi January 18, 2009 at 8:56 pm

what a fun day outside, I think CALI and FL are like twins with the weather! I really want that froyo, I have never seen that…you always have the best sweets:)

23 Ryan January 18, 2009 at 9:28 pm

What a perfect Sunday!!! Today’s weather WAS gorgeous and perfect!

24 Melissa January 18, 2009 at 9:30 pm

AWWWW!!!! Baylee says she wishes she lived in Florida so she could play with Scooby and Abbie, and so that her mom (me) could come along to the wonderful Farmer’s Market in JANUARY!!!! Jealous!!!!!
πŸ™‚

25 marafaye January 18, 2009 at 9:43 pm

OMG I WANT TO GO SOMEWHERE WARM!!!!!!

26 inmytummy January 18, 2009 at 10:09 pm

I’m totally jealous that you are wearing flip flops. I’m only one state north of you and it’s in the 40s.

27 Amanda January 18, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Looks like such a great day!! Those Edy’s Yogurt Blends are delicious … I have had the cappucino one and it rocked my world.

I have to work tomorrow too … Sunday nights are always so bittersweet. πŸ™

28 Eliza January 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm

its awesome that you live in florida and can go to farmers markets in january! i love them but only get to go in the summer. looks like you got some great stuff!

29 Olga January 18, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Thats why I just love farmer’s markets! The prices are great AND I feel great buying from farmers/bakers who are local!

My dessert tonight was also ice cream and strawberries: great minds think alike =]

30 Erica January 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm

What a grea day you had! That farmers market looks awesome! I’d be there every weekend. Abbie and scooby are adorable!

31 Victoria January 18, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Wow! That paella looks great! And so does that produce!

32 eatingbender January 18, 2009 at 11:26 pm

It looks like you had fun last night πŸ™‚

And today…well, let’s just say that if I could wrap it all up into one word it would be ENVY. These are the days I wish I lived in the south! Beautiful farmer’s market pictures.

Beautiful paella, too! Again…ENVY πŸ˜‰ My eyes just turned green, lol.

33 Sharon January 18, 2009 at 11:46 pm

Wow, that is so much fun!
I wish I had a FM nearby!!!

34 angiismyname January 19, 2009 at 12:25 am

dude, when my mom called your mom and she said your dad was making paella I couldnt wait til you posted the pictures so i could drool over them. So jealous

35 sarahannmatheny January 19, 2009 at 1:41 am

What a beautiful day of eats! All the FM finds look great, especially those berries!

36 Andrea [bella eats] January 19, 2009 at 9:27 am

Aahhh! So jealous of your farmer’s market in the winter! I often think that one of the only reasons I would move back to Florida is the availability of fruits and veggies all year long…

Love paella! That reminds me to make it again soon… πŸ™‚

37 Elina January 19, 2009 at 9:33 am

Wow, that paella looks fantastic! Your dad does look like an amazing cook.
And that farmer’s market… I’m so jelous! πŸ™‚ The weather is so nasty in Boston and I haven’t been to a farmers market since October. I really miss it!!!

38 lauren January 19, 2009 at 10:25 am

I want to be beamed to wherever you are so I can have your weather!!! the paella looks incredible…

39 John/Dad January 19, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Wait a minute I left before DESERT I dint get any of the strawberrys !! Weres Mine???

40 MaryBe January 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Did you really gyp your Dad out of dessert? After that awesome dinner he made you? Shame on you!
πŸ™‚