more ยป" />

I got a bike… well sort of….

by Meghann on January 17, 2009

Bike shopping was a lot more stressful then I thought it would be.

I went to 4 different bike shops, heard 4 different sales speeches and 4 different point of views. At the end of browsing the only thing I knew for sure was that I need a 50″ (or cm?) frame, everything else had kind of been information overload.

Everyone has their own opinion on what makes the perfect bike and how much I should invest in my first bike. I knew going in that I didn’t want to spend very much, that I wanted to buy used and that I needed something soon so I could start training. Most of the bike stores I went into did not sell used bikes and tried to talk me into the benefits of a new bike, it was basically a nightmare.

By the end, I was stressed and was thinking getting a bike was not worth this. I was not willing to dump my whole savings into a bike and everyone seemed to immediately discard the questions I had for cheaper alternatives.

FInally, I called my Daddy who came to the rescue. He got on the internet and contacted a private bike dealer of sorts. Basically this guy buys used bikes and resells them to hopeless bike shoppers such as my self. It was a perfect match. The guy had a bike in great condition, in my size, in the color I wanted at a reasonable price. I was sold. I get to go pick up my new baby of Thursday and I can’t wait!

Now that I have a bike I feel like my triathalon is really going to happen. Time to get excited!

At the beginning of my bike shopping adventure I was craving some fruit so I stopped and got a Strawberry Oasis Smoothie, which was just strawberries and fat free yogurt.

DSCN1860.JPG

I literally drove all over Orlando today and while I was in a part of town I was unfamiliar with I drove by a cute little hole in the wall restaurant called Athen’s Cafe. I am always immediately drawn to hole in the walls so I decided to stop there for lunch.

I ordered the Falafel Pita with a side of Fresh Fruit.

DSCN1861.JPG

The Pita was really yummy. It filled me right up and gave me to fuel to continue on my search.

On my adventure I made a bit of a pit shop at Old Navy to take my mind off of bikes. They’re promoting their collection of sports wear and had some great work out clothes for a good price.DSCN1865.JPG

I got this cute outfit to wear for my race next weekend. If you’re in need of cute running gear I would highly recommend you check it out!

Speaking of running, this morning I went to an information meeting for Team in Training. I love the idea of training for my first marathon with a team of support and raising money for a good cause in the process. The only thing that has me hesitant of signing along the dotted lines is the fact that it is a lot of money to raise and seems like a lot of my time would be devoted to that.

The race I would be working towards would be the Rock n’ Roll San Diego Marathon. I love the idea of traveling for my first marathon and supporting a good cause while I am at it. What do you guys think? Does any one have any experience with Team in Training? I am really interested to see what yo have to say. :)

1 Sarah January 17, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Dad to the rescue! Dads always know how to fix these types of dilemmas. I love the new running outfit — will have to visit an Old Navy stat :-)

2 Justy2003 January 17, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Well at least you got a bike…hope it works out for ya! And I didn’t know Old Navy has workout clothes?!?! I haven’t been there for a while, but maybe I need to check this out!
Traveling for your first marathon (and to San Diego!) would be awesome! Does TNT pay for that as well? I don’t remember all the details. Like I said in a previous comment, I know a few people who have done it and really liked the experience overall but they did say that the fundraising can be a good bit of work. I think I also saw a thread about TNT on the Runners World forums, too.

3 Marianne January 17, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Falafel & a bike – doesn’t sound like too bad of a day. It’s too bad none of the bike stores were able to help you out as you would have liked, but it all worked out in the end.

4 Angel January 17, 2009 at 4:34 pm

I don’t know much about TNT, but if you are wanting to raise money for the Leukemia and Lympoma Society, I think it sounds great!!!! Fundraising is extremely hard though and takes a great deal of time and effort. Make sure you have ALL the details before joining. Good luck in making this huge decision.

5 Ryan January 17, 2009 at 4:38 pm

CUTE new running clothes! I will have to check out Old Navy soon, for sure! I’m glad you were able to work out the bike dilemma. Things always work out when you refuse to settle! Have a great rest of your day and a fun time at Pat O’Briens!

6 Allison January 17, 2009 at 4:45 pm

my goodness – i am totally with you – the same exact thing happened to me and mike last year when we looked for bikes…and we ended up not getting one because we were so damn confused!

glad your dad was able to come to the rescue!

love the new outfit!

7 VeggieGirl January 17, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Ahhh, thank goodness you made it through the madness and have a bike after all!! And I love the new clothes :-)

8 Sweet and Fit January 17, 2009 at 5:05 pm

i hate salespeople (i dunno if thats even a word!)…congrats on the bike, can’t wait to see a picture! and cute new outfit, i loooove old navy.

9 Beadie January 17, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Sounds like a stressful time! Glad you finally got a bike and a cute outfit for your race.

Good luck making the decision about the marathon; sorry. I have no words of advice as I have never trained with a team before.

10 Mica January 17, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Oooh, FALAFEL! What an awesome lunch!

Thanks for the Old Navy tip. I’ll have to check it out!

11 Heather Eats Almond Butter January 17, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Hey Meghann,
Congrats on finding a bike. Exciting!

I did Train to End Stroke which is very similar to Team In Training. I did it 2 years in a row, and I had to raise $4500 both times. The fundraising was definitely the hardest part, but the training and friendships I made through the program made all the fundraising work worth the effort.

Looking back, I have mixed feelings on these types of programs. Yes, I did raise a lot of money for the Stroke Association, but I also got fully paid trips to Jamaica and Bermuda. I know these organizations get big discounts on their travel deals, but I feel like I got more out of the deal than I should have. I’d rather all the money I raise go towards the cause rather than any of it going towards my race entry fee and travel expenses. I don’t think I’d do it again.

I don’t mean to sound discouraging as I know Team In Training has raised unbelievable amounts of money for cancer research and they try to keep their expenses and overhead low. Just something to think about. Good luck in whatever you decide.

12 inmytummy January 17, 2009 at 5:15 pm

I haven’t done Team in Training, but I did train for a marathon by myself in 2007 if you have any questions if you decide not to go the TNT route.

In hindsight, I would have trained with a group or at least a friend. 20 miles runs by yourself are not really fun!

13 Melissa S. January 17, 2009 at 5:39 pm

i’ve never done a team in training but if you don’t think you can do the fundraiser part, see if you can find a local running club and lots of times they have training for marathons and the sorts. i did that when i trained for the marathon and sitll made lots of great friends!

and i would totally do the rock n’ roll in sd…i did the 2nd half of it and it totally rocked! the scenery is beautiful downtown and in the bay…and you can say also that you “ran on a freeway”. hehehe!!

14 Sharon January 17, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Gotta love Dads!
And the running outfit is awesome!

15 Nicole January 17, 2009 at 5:49 pm

My bike shopping was just as stressful! It was definitely no fun, but I’m glad you finally found one!

That outfit is super cute, I am going to check out Old Navy tomorrow for some new stuff! It’s definitely too cold to wear shorts here, though!

16 Meg January 17, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Congrats on the new bike! Yeah for new workout gear…so cute!

17 sarahannmatheny January 17, 2009 at 5:57 pm

I’m pretty happy with Old Navy’s workout stuff. It’s not as heavy duty as Nike or Adidas, but if you don’t need the support up top (which clearly I do NOT), it gets the job done.
You and Gina are making me crave the felafels.

Glad you found a bike…sounds as difficult as car shopping!

18 Amanda January 17, 2009 at 6:26 pm

I have also been pleasantly surprised with Old Navy’s workout clothes! They are great and actually sweat-wicking .. and cheap!

I don’t know anything about the Team in Training, but it seems like it would be fun! Definitely put some thought into it, but it doesn’t seem like something you would end up regretting.

19 Taylor January 17, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Hey Meghann,
I’ve never posted before but I did TNT for my first marathon and I would absolutely recommend it! I did it because I wanted to do something meaningful and as a runner, had always been interested in doing a marathon. TNT was great because they provide you with a coach, training plan, and running buddies in return for raising money for an amazing cause. I can’t say enough good things about my experience with TNT :)

20 Shelby January 17, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Cute outfit!

21 ttfn300 January 17, 2009 at 7:36 pm

i haven’t done TNT, but it’s the fundraising that’s kept me away. sounds like things worked out in the end with the bike, it is tough when you don’t know what exactly looking for (that’s why i took some friends!).

22 Ida January 17, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Can’t wait to see the bike! Maybe you can find a running group in your area that doesn’t require fund raising? Call some running stores and ask around

23 glidingcalm January 17, 2009 at 8:31 pm

i love old navy workout clothes!

24 Brandi January 17, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Glad you found a good bike! That’s exciting!

Cute running clothes, too – I saw some of those a few weeks ago. You should do a review once you wear them!

I’ve never trained with a team like that before, but it sounds like a great experience.

25 Sarah January 17, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Hey,

I have never trained with Team in Training, but I have done the rock and roll marathon three times and am signed up to do it again this year! I have never done another marathon so I don’t have much to compare it to. But I do love the course and would highly recommend it. I use various training plans and kind of make up my own plan that fits my running preference/ schedule and it works for me! Good luck!

26 livelaughlyss January 17, 2009 at 9:25 pm

hahaha, do you watch ‘friends’? your falafel reminded me of the episode where rachel’s sister (christina applegate) thinks that ross is the man who serves her falafels on the street. haha, sorry for the randomness. i don’t know if i’ve ever commented before, but i love your blog! your story is really inspiring and you’ve got the ‘healthy lifestyle’ thing down to a T! :)

27 Meredith January 17, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Hooray for the cute workout clothes and the new bike! Your lunch looks delicious – I love falafel!

28 Victoria January 17, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I ended up at Old Navy today, and was impressed with some of the stuff too!
I love the dea of running for a cause, but a contract requiring you to raise a certain amount is scary to me.

29 Chantalle January 17, 2009 at 9:59 pm

What kind of bike did you end up getting?

Wish you could have tried it out though before purchasing…bike fits are completely different depending on the brand, and sizes also vary by brands. And there are different types of geometry as well…like there are women’s specific bikes, and within that category, there are several different geometries. I don’t want to make you worry or anything, but it would really suck if your bike ends up being the wrong size/fit and you can’t train properly because of it.

I’m hoping for the best and that it works out for you!

30 Bridget January 17, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Aww I’m sorry you had such a frusterating time with the bike shopping…sounds as bad as car shopping!! Yay for Dad to the rescue, a used bike is definintely the way to go!
Your falafel looks really good!
Wow a marathon!! Thats incredible! Good luck with your training!!

31 bobbi January 17, 2009 at 11:23 pm

I have heard mixed praised and not so much praised about Teamintraining. I think it would be cool to run with a team while training but its a lot of money to raise, part of me wants to raise money all by myself when doing a race with no specific price just something to motivate me to run harder for a good cause, the hard part is picking the cause. I dont know just an idea, Congrats on the BIKE!!!

32 Kristie January 18, 2009 at 12:56 am

Ugh, I would have definitely felt overwhelmed with all of the bike sales pitches. That’s awesome that you managed to get away with your head still on straight though and hook yourself up with the perfect used one. I feel like, in that kind of situation, there’s a chance I would end up giving in and buying a new one because of not being bike savvy enough. Dangerous!

Love the Old Navy outfit. I really like their new workout gear, I almost bought that same top in green! I had to cut back a little since I already bought sooo much there though… maybe next week! ;)

33 Emily January 18, 2009 at 12:58 am

Hey Meghann,
I haven’t ever posted before but thought this would be a good time to do so since I have done a TNT marathon before. I signed up as a walker, not a runner, and completed a marathon with them in Bermuda. I understand what one poster said about wishing that all the entry fees, ect. had gone to L&LS, but I still felt the whole experience was very rewarding. And I did end up donating more money through that program than I would have been able to on my own. It was a lot of work doing fund-raising letters, deciding who to approach, etc. and I chose to write thank-you notes to everyone who gave a donation. But that part should be fun for you since you since marketing is one of your specialties! Having a coach to support you and people to walk/run 15-20 miles with and celebrate with when your even is completed was a huge benefit. It was a great experience and I’ve often considered doing it again. Hope that helps! :)

34 Rebecca January 18, 2009 at 6:35 am

I have never done anything with TNT, but I have done the Rock N’ Roll in SD! It is SUCH a fun race and you are pretty much guaranteed perfect weather.

Sorry the bike search was so stressful! I’m glad it worked out for you though! Can’t wait to see the new ride.

35 dailygoods January 18, 2009 at 8:45 am

I don’t know anything about Teamintraining, but I have heard that the Rock N Roll Marathon in SD is so amazing! that is so exciting for you! i love your old navy gear, i need to check it out someimte soon! and falafels…. yum!!!!

36 Amy January 18, 2009 at 8:53 am

Hi Meghann!
I have a charity program you can run for! Have you heard of Girls on the Run? It is a character building program for girls (8-12 years old) designed to build self-esteem while training them for a 5K race. They have a charity running program called “Team Tiara”. You are only required to raise $262. You still have to pay for the actual marathon but it’s a GREAT cause. They have a local council in Orlando. You can to to the national website, http://www.girlsontherun.org to learn more!

37 biz319 January 18, 2009 at 9:59 am

Yeah to you Dad!

Loved Team in Training – I did it for the Chicago marathon in 1998, but ended up gettting bronchitis (sp?) three days before it!

It’s a good schedule, they work with all kinds of levels, and you can usually seek out someone who is where you are and “train” with them.

Can’t wait to see your bike!

38 Hangry Pants January 18, 2009 at 12:17 pm

That falafel pita looks so good!

I don’t have any experience with that Team in Training because well, I’ve never trained for anything, but I think it would be a really big help to have people to train with.