A Work Out Bargain

by Meghann on January 15, 2009

This morning on the Today Show Al did temperature comparisons from around the country and one of them was “Which do you think is colder right now Anchorage, AK or Daytona Beach, FL? Answer: They’re both 37 degrees at the Moment!” I thought that was funny that that its as cold in Florida today as it is in Alaska!

I almost talked myself into staying in bed when I woke up and my apartment was an icicle inside (I refuse to ever turn the heat on) but I got up and bargained with myself. I knew I really needed to get some sort of run in with my impending races, so I told myself all I had to do was run for 20 minutes, come back inside and do a 30 minute work out video and that would be it.

That seemed like a fair deal so I bundled up (and finally got to wore my new running jacket I got for Christmas) then headed outside for a 20 minute loop around my apartment. Of course once I was out there it wasn’t bad and I could have done longer, but my mind was set on being back inside so when the 20 minutes was up I happily headed upstairs and did the Jillian Micheal’s Cardio Kickbox work out through the instant play feature on Netflix. If you have Netflix I highly suggest checking out the work out vidoes they have on instant play. It’s really a nice option when you need to mix it up.

After discovering earlier this week that cherrios isn’t the best to mix with yogurt I decided this  morning to stick with a denser cereal that complimented the yogurt rather then turning soggy in it.

DSCN1772

I had 1/2 cup of Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt, 3 halves of canner Peaches, 2/3 cup of Kashi Go lean Crunch, and 1/2 cup of Kashi Blueberry Oat Clusters.

This combination was MUCH better then before. I really enjoy the Crunch in the yogurt and makes it much more enjoyable to eat in the morning.

I have another busy day of meetings ahead of me. Hopefully it will make the day go by quick! Happy Thursday everyone!!

1 Caitlin January 15, 2009 at 8:37 am

enjoy your day! BRRR it is in the single digits here today!

2 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) January 15, 2009 at 8:45 am

brr same in fl as alaska?? crazy!!

3 Sweet and Fit January 15, 2009 at 8:47 am

haha, thats nothing…its 32* and below here in DC! I tried adding Friberone (original) to my yogurt…and ewwww! so i know what you mean about soggy cereal =(

thanks so much for the recipe again! loved it!

4 tami January 15, 2009 at 8:49 am

it’s -2 here in New Hampshire today!

5 Bridget January 15, 2009 at 8:49 am

Wow I can’t believe its that cold in FL!!! I’d be so pissed if I was there on vacation haha. It’s like 10 degrees out here though so not much sympathy coming from my way. Go you on getting your run in! I could manage running in the 30’s but not in the 10’s. Yummy bfast!! Makes me want canned peaches!

6 Emily January 15, 2009 at 8:55 am

That is so funny about Flordia! The weather is crazy this year! In Tennessee it got dont into the single digits yesterday! I hate it, im soooo ready for summa time.

Breakfast looks yummy! Have a great day girl 🙂

7 Marissa January 15, 2009 at 8:59 am

Brr!! Your cereal/yogurt/fruit combo looks delicious!

8 Shelby January 15, 2009 at 9:00 am

Haha that’s insane! My uncle used to be stationed in Alaska. I don’t know how he did it. What do they say on the weather? Like, “It’s going to be a hot 37 degrees today, put your coats away!” haha

It’s not even supposed to reach 1 degrees where I’m at today =( It’s -12 right now! You better believe I’ll be stuck in the house.

9 Melissa S. January 15, 2009 at 9:07 am

what a great morning! i know, down here in big cypress when i went for my run at 7.15 it seriously felt like it was freezing…i coudln’t feel any of my digits! crazy! and i thought i was moving to a warmer climate!!!! everyone blames me for brining the cold weather from cali…ahhahaha

10 Rose January 15, 2009 at 9:10 am

It’s freezing everywhere today, it seems! I am an icicle, for sure.

11 redheadyellowdog January 15, 2009 at 9:13 am

Yea I definitely have to bargain with myself when it’s cold outside. One good thing is that usually after a mile or so I am warmed up. I think I might do a post about the good winter running gear I’ve discovered that makes these cold temps bearable!

Tomorrow might have to be an inside workout day though…it’s supposed to be in the TEENS in the morning!! eek!! Definitely makes me miss Florida…

12 Nicole January 15, 2009 at 9:13 am

I LOOOOVE Kashi Go Lean Crunch! So tasty. I am so addicted to it. The box is gone in like, 3 days! I’m the only one who eats it!

13 Brandi January 15, 2009 at 9:19 am

Good job getting up and running anyway!

It was 21 here on my way to work and snowing. Brr 🙂

14 fitforfree January 15, 2009 at 9:40 am

nice job on the workout! i find it hard to motivate myself when it’s that cold…

15 Meg January 15, 2009 at 9:44 am

Happy Thursday! Stay warm.

16 The Healthy Hostess January 15, 2009 at 9:45 am

I love tricking myself with workouts! It makes it seem so much better even though it’s the same! Have a great day!
🙂 It is 0 degree out here in Ohio, and tomorrow it’s supposed to be -8. That is just crazy!

17 ttfn300 January 15, 2009 at 9:45 am

ooh, i didn’t know they had the workout videos on instant watch, i’ll have to check it out 🙂

18 marafaye January 15, 2009 at 9:49 am

It’s so cold here, they canceled school!!!
Stay warm!

19 VeggieGirl January 15, 2009 at 9:56 am

Fun workout!!

Good luck with your meetings today!!

20 Mica January 15, 2009 at 9:57 am

Whoa, I had no idea Florida got that cold! Good job getting out for your run. I actually really like running in the 30’s. (The negative teens, like here, not so much).

Hope your Thursday goes well!

21 Mel January 15, 2009 at 10:23 am

Stay warm! I made snow today because it’s so cold up here! -20 and the high is a whole -11!

Your breakfast looks really good, very sunny with all of the peaches!

22 kaneil January 15, 2009 at 10:25 am

I know how you felt this morning. I almost snoozed through my workout, but after thinking about it for a few minutes, my mind was totally awake. Off to the gym I went!

Good luck with your races. I am also training for 2 half marathons (march and april) and I enjoy reading about your lovey runs! 🙂

Kaneil

23 Sarah January 15, 2009 at 10:32 am

I’d do almost anything for 37 degrees right now, but I bet it’s quite a shock to Floridian skin!

24 Kirsten January 15, 2009 at 10:37 am

Thanks for the Netflix tip ! I didn’t know they had workout videos available for instant download 🙂

25 dailygoods January 15, 2009 at 10:40 am

yum i love go lean crunch in yogurt! stays perfectly crunchy the whole time! Its almost unbelieveable its that cold in Florida, its freeeezzzing here in md today!

26 Sara January 15, 2009 at 10:46 am

Yum, I love adding Go Lean Crunch to my fruit in yogurt! Your breakfast looks great.

27 Amy January 15, 2009 at 11:21 am

Great breakfast, I love Kashi’s blueberry cluster flake cereal…yum. Good luck today, girl, I know you’ll get through it all!

It snowed so much up here! I’m in the mountains basically, haha!

28 Tina January 15, 2009 at 11:21 am

Haha! I’m with ya on the heat… but I live in Boston and refuse to turn it on! Mal and I slept under 5 blankets last night!

Your recipe from last night looks awesome! I want to try it soon!

29 Danielle January 15, 2009 at 11:22 am

It’s cold here too! Stay warm darling and have a very happy Thursday!

30 Missy (Missy Maintains) January 15, 2009 at 11:31 am

Wow, my sister was just in Florida last weekend and it was 80 degrees! I can’t believe it got so cold! It’s very snowy here in NY!

Love your breakfast! Canned peaches are delicious!

31 bobbi January 15, 2009 at 11:37 am

I shoulcn’t complain about the heat so much.lol..it was 85 here yesterday! Have a great day gilry!

32 ksgoodeats January 15, 2009 at 11:43 am

I saw that today on the Today Show – haha CRAZY weather!

Yum to the crunch!!

33 Allie January 15, 2009 at 12:36 pm

-13* here today!

Sometimes you need to bargain with yourself to get things done. Good Job!

34 Sarah W. January 15, 2009 at 1:02 pm

How do you like the Jillian Michaels dvd? I have 30 day shred that I have yet to try – will probably do it Tues since I’ll be home avoiding inaguration madness (I live near dc)

35 biz319 January 15, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Thanks for the Netflix tip – we’ve been talking about getting it. Love Jillian!

Glad you got to wear your new jacket! 😀

36 Andrea [bella eats] January 15, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Good work bargaining with yourself for a run this morning! I wish I had the same willpower as you…I’ve chickened out of every run I’ve scheduled for myself this week. 🙁 Oh well, I’m trying to think positively and tell myself that its a rest week, and on Saturday I’ll jump right back into training. And reading your blog helps to motivate me even more!!!

{ 2 trackbacks }