more ยป" />

Introducing Nikki the Nikon

by Meghann on January 14, 2009

DSCN1678

No thatโ€™s not Nikki, thatโ€™s Abbie, but I was playing with my new camera last night and got this cute one of Abbie watching me play. ๐Ÿ™‚ I took this picture sans flash and I believe it came out pretty good.

It was super cold when I awoke this morning so I just did a living room work out. I did the Burn 300 Calories at Home work-out from Shapeโ€™s September 2008 issue. And then the Strengthening Core work out from Womenโ€™s Running January/February issue. Both work outs were a great way to wake me up and start the day.

I was determined this morning to have something other then breakfast for cereal, but still wanted it to be easy and quick.

DSCN1685

I had 1/3 cup of egg whites that I microwave for a minute and a half then placed on a toasted Arnoldโ€™s Sandwich Thin with some Low Sugar Strawberry Preserves. Yum!

DSCN1690

On the side I had a Tangerine, Strawberries, and Blackberries. Look how GORGEOUS that fruit is!

DSCN1692

The breakfast was great and some times its nice to take a break from the week day routine and go outside the box for breakfast. ๐Ÿ™‚

It has now officially been a month since the last time I did laundry and I am scraping the bottom of my closet for jeans. I have plenty of shirts and underwear to keep me going laundry free for at least another week, but this morning I had to dig in to my pile of pants that are now too large (You like I dodged calling them my โ€˜fat pantsโ€™.. crap I just did it thereโ€ฆoh well) for something to wear.

Unfortunately now its going to be a constant battle with the jeans as I strive for not exposing my underwear throughout the day. Right now my jacket is wrapped around my backside as I lean over my desk to type on the computer. I think I just need to get rid of the larger jeans so I will be forced to do laundry before I end up in this situation again, but they have so many memories attached to them. For instance I remember buying this particular pair with my friend Em as we were shopping for our NYC vacay Senior year of college. *sniff sniff those were the good ole days. Now, it may be time for them to have a new home. Does anyone else become attached to old clothes like me? Donโ€™t even get me started on all the dresses I have in my closet that are filled with memories and I could never give up!

Just for fun hereโ€™s a picture of me in the jeans at that amazing trip in NYC. ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a great day!

1 Rose January 14, 2009 at 9:21 am

I am definitely a person who hangs on to clothes for nostalgia! There are just some things I can’t part with at this time.

Your breakfast looks delicious and well-balanced! Love the vibrant fruit.

Your new camera is a gem – my grandma (who’s 92!) has that one, and I always use it when I’m in town ๐Ÿ™‚

2 kaneil January 14, 2009 at 9:24 am

Hi Meghann – I read your blog everyday and thought I’d say hi! I also keep my fat pants around and wish I would just let them go! Unfortunately, they kind of fit me right now, but hopefully I can give them away soon! ๐Ÿ™‚ Cute pic of you in NYC.

I always love your mixed cereal in the a.m…but was totally off guard that you put preserves on your eggs!!! I won’t knock it until I try it! Have a good day!

3 Bridget January 14, 2009 at 9:34 am

I love jam or preserves with my eggs!
I definitely hang onto some clothes for the memories, especially if they were a ‘big’ purchase for me at the time!

4 Emily January 14, 2009 at 9:34 am

I definitely get attached to some of my clothes and have so much trouble getting rid of them, even though I know I will probably never wear them.

Your breakfast looks great. Way to go with stepping out of the box, I know what you mean about getting into a routine and sometimes you just need to do something different!

Have a great day girl! ๐Ÿ™‚

5 fitforfree January 14, 2009 at 9:38 am

I get way too attached to clothes/shoes . . . so I started this new thing where I take a picture of them for the memory and then give them away. Slowly starting to chip away at my closet ๐Ÿ™‚

have a great day!

6 chandra January 14, 2009 at 9:40 am

I’m also definitely someone who hangs on to clothes for too long, either due to memories or just being afraid to get rid of them. I just recently got rid of my bigger sized pants and it seriously freaked me out at first – but I’m glad they are gone now, it gives me more closet space. ๐Ÿ˜‰ And I hear ya on the dresses! I still have all my homecoming, spring formal, and prom dresses from high school and that was So long ago! LOL I just don’t know what to do with them…

7 Meg January 14, 2009 at 9:41 am

Love the Abbie picture.

I definitely hold on to clothes b/c of their memories even if they don’t fit. I finally parted with some yesterday and gave them to charity.

8 Sammie January 14, 2009 at 9:42 am

It was an eggy morning at my house today too.
I have jeans that I could never part with especially because I tend to have a hard time finding ones that fit perfectly. I just took a pare to the tailor to have a patch put on them because I refuse to throw them out. Happy Wednesday!!

9 Allison January 14, 2009 at 9:48 am

OMG – I just want to grab Abbie’s face and give her a big ole kiss – she is so darn cute! ๐Ÿ™‚

That bowl of fruit looks phenomenal, like something out of a magazine! YUM!

10 brandi January 14, 2009 at 10:00 am

Cute pic!

Yes, I totally get attached to clothes! Even when they don’t fit me anymore or are just ugly and stretched out…it is so hard to get rid of clothes that have good memories attached ๐Ÿ™‚

11 ksgoodeats January 14, 2009 at 10:05 am

CUTE PUPPY!!!! Love the breakfast too ๐Ÿ™‚

I definitely become attached to clothes but I FINALLY got rid of them over Christmas.

12 Allie January 14, 2009 at 10:12 am

Cold in the mornings, huh? Last night when I went to bed it was 2*!!! There is about four inches of snow on the ground today!

Your breakfast looks great, I am going to have to try some of the Arnolds Thins!

13 Lily January 14, 2009 at 10:21 am

Abbie is adorable!

I save some old clothes, whether they fit or not, and whether or not they’re still in fashion, because I’m already looking ahead to when my possible daughter/neice etc. wants some funny vintage for flash-back day at school/theme parties when they’re a bit older. I know that sounds outrageous, but I have lots of my mom’s dresses from the 60s (many hand-sewn by my grandmother) that I love, and I hope to continue the cycle. Remember this works for shoes too! i just recently saved some clunky, clunky, clunky brown shoes that I now, of course, find hideous–but anticipate will come back for a flashback day before tooooooo long! A lot of 90s clothes were pretty masculine!

14 Marianne January 14, 2009 at 10:23 am

A month without doing laundry?! Is that even possible? I do laundry ever week, or I’d be going naked to work (and no one needs to see that!) I obviously own NO clothes.

The only reason I have problems getting rid of clothes is because I don’t own any, so I wear them until they are in so bad shape they need to be chucked.

15 Melissa January 14, 2009 at 10:26 am

Another great post! Good luck with the camera. I am like that with mp3 players!

Oh, is there a secret to nuking egg whites?

16 Andrea (Off Her Cork) January 14, 2009 at 10:29 am

Definitely! I’m currently wearing a hoodie that I bought when I was 18. Seeing as I’m 31 now, it’s seen it’s days. But I’m not giving it up, it’s too comfy and still looks good! And by good, I mean, good enough to wear with pajamas. ๐Ÿ˜‰

17 Amanda January 14, 2009 at 10:31 am

I was pretty much forced to get rid of old clothes when I moved out of my parents place and into my TINY apartment. It was a really good feeling to simplify what I own and to know that everything in my closet is something that I want to wear and that fits!!!

I would suggest looking for a consignment shop to see if you could make a little money selling your clothes and then donate the rest. There are also really great organizations that donate old prom dresses to underpriveledged girls who need them. Doing these two things (making a little money and doing a good deed) may make it easier to get rid of them. AND there’s no excuse to gain the weight back ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Meghann January 14, 2009 at 10:33 am

Melissa – I just spray a bowl with olive oil, pour in the egg whites and seasonings then nuke for a minute to a munte and a half. That’s it! SOOOO easy and quick! ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Mica January 14, 2009 at 10:34 am

Whoa preserves and eggs…I’ve never thought of that.

I don’t get attached to my jeans because I wear them until they fall apart and I have to get rid of them. I do like my jackets though…

Abbie is adorable!

20 VeggieGirl January 14, 2009 at 10:38 am

I love Abbie!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Have a lovely day, Meghann!!

**Just as a heads up/reminder: I will not be able to comment on blogs as often now, during this semester, due to work overload (I’m stressed already) – PLEASE know that I’m still loyally reading, but just won’t have time to comment. I hope you understand!!

21 Marissa January 14, 2009 at 10:41 am

Yummy breakfast sandwich! I totally get emotionally attached to old clothes. I still have the outfit I was wearing when I met my husband. I’ll never wear it again but it brings me happy memories ๐Ÿ™‚

22 Shelby January 14, 2009 at 10:42 am

Cute pup!

And holy yum that fruit looks amazing.

23 Heather Eats Almond Butter January 14, 2009 at 10:50 am

It is so difficult to let go of a favorite pair of jeans – I’ve been there!

Your new camera is taking some great pics! Wow, you own a lot of underwear. ๐Ÿ™‚

24 dailygoods January 14, 2009 at 10:51 am

it’s hard getting rid of favorite old clothes. i know exactly what you mean! Delicious berries yet again Meghann! Looks like your camera is doing a good job ๐Ÿ™‚

25 Sara January 14, 2009 at 10:57 am

Wow, what a great picture of your fruit. The new camera takes fabulous pics. I’m definately one to hold on to clothes because I alwasy think, “Well maybe I’ll wear that again.” Ha! Plus, I think if I get rid of clothes I’ll “have nothing to wear,” eventhough I don’t wear some of them in the first place. Us girls are so silly!

26 Andrea [bella eats] January 14, 2009 at 10:58 am

Congrats on the new camera!!! Your fruit bowl looks amazing, and Abbie is too cute!

I keep old dresses too…I just managed to get rid of some old high school prom dresses a couple of months ago, it was a big step for me! ๐Ÿ™‚

27 biz319 January 14, 2009 at 11:32 am

So cute picture of Abbie – my dog hates my flash so its hard to get a good picture.

UM, no laundry in a month! It must be piled high (and that you have A LOT of underwear!!)

Happy Hump Day!

28 Alexia January 14, 2009 at 11:33 am

I was thinking that was Abbie! LOL! I was confused for a minute.

I have never thought to use the Arnold Thins as a breakfast sandwich. Good idea! I’m jealous of all your good lookin’ fruit. ๐Ÿ™‚

I cannot believe you can go a month without doing laundry! That’s amazing. I can’t go a week. Well, maybe a week and a half.

I do get attached to clothes. It makes me feel guilty.

I love New York! It has been like 10 or 11 years since I went but I def. want to go back SOON!

Hope you have a wonderful day at work! ๐Ÿ˜‰

29 Erica January 14, 2009 at 11:40 am

Camera looks like it works well!!

A month without laundry? I do a load of laundry pretty much every single day!

Breakfast looks great. Love a fresh bowl of fruit!

30 caitlin January 14, 2009 at 11:52 am

hahahah throw away the fat pants!!

and i love your new camera! i feel like its half mine now. LOL.

cant wait to see you!!

31 Mel January 14, 2009 at 11:54 am

I keep clothes for nostalgia reasons too. I have clothes that I got before I went to high school. It’s bad.

How cute is Abby. What kind of dog is she?

32 Meghann January 14, 2009 at 11:58 am

Mel – She’s a Jack Russel ๐Ÿ™‚

33 Bridget January 14, 2009 at 12:20 pm

haha, having “breakfast for cereal”?? Sorry, I don’t know why I find typos!!

Yay new camera!! Plus cute cute puppy ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah I have the hardest time getting rid of clothes…I have to be in the right frame of mind where I don’t think too much about what I’m getting rid of. I totally get sentimental with certain pieces.

34 Danielle January 14, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I bought my dad that camera for Christmas, he absolutely loves it! There’s a really cool panoramic feature on it that’ll you have to give a try!
Good luck with the camera!
I hate getting rid of clothes, too big, too small, regardless, there’s so many memories attached to clothes lol.

35 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) January 14, 2009 at 1:01 pm

If you have any clothes you want to get rid of you should check out Plato’s Closet. I brought some to one in Orlando and while they didn’t take all of my clothes, I did get some cash back for the clothes they did take. I think they take purses and shoes and stuff too. ๐Ÿ™‚

36 Hangry Pants January 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm

“It has now officially been a month since the last time I did laundry …”

You must have a serious underwear supply, girl!

37 Erin January 14, 2009 at 1:23 pm

I’m actually the opposite with clothes. I do have a few little vintage cute things that I never wear and must keep though. ๐Ÿ™‚

38 Missy (Missy Maintains) January 14, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Your breakfast sandwich looks great! Gotta love Arnold’s Sandwich thins! Beautiful pics too! I also get attached to clothes. I know I never wear half of them but in my head there may be that one day that I want to wear a certain shirt!

39 onehealthy apple January 14, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I still have my high school prom dresses hanging in my parents’ closet! I also have a bad habit of not getting rid of my bigger clothes because I always think I might -ahem- need them again.

I read your blog daily- you and your new camera are doing a great job!

40 Ryan January 14, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Those jeans are super cute! Too bad they are too big now ๐Ÿ™‚ Or, not too bad…they’re good either way you look at it!

And I second what Lindsey said. I got to the Plato’s all the time in Gainesville and get rid of stuff. I usually walk out with $30 or $40 cash. They give more money for jeans than anything else, too. It’s definitely a good incentive to clean out your closet and only hold onto the things you really need. I stick to the rule: if you haven’t worn it in the past 6 months, you’ll never know it’s gone. Hope that helps!

41 eatingbender January 14, 2009 at 2:58 pm

I like your jeans!

I’m also glad you got a Nikon Coolpix – I have the same camera in purple! Your new pictures look awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

42 Liz January 14, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Wow, a month without laundry is pretty impressive. I dont have enough sock or clothes I like to go more than about 2 weeks.

43 seeleelive January 15, 2009 at 5:14 am

cute pic!! LOVE NYC!

that cous cous chix salad looks banggggin’ girl.

kudos for u for wearing clothes that fit your new lifestyle..as long as ur happy :-)))