more ยป" />

'Cheesy' Chickpea Cauliflower Casserole

by Meghann on January 14, 2009

I’ve often been asked where I get inspiration for my recipes. Truth be told I think of a lot of them while my mind is drifting at work and I’m trying to remember what I have in my fridge for dinner or what I want to buy at the store to make for dinner. I also get inspired from reading the zillion of food blogs I have out there on my Google Reader.

I think I’ve always had a creative mind in the kitchen, but reading the blogs out there always make me want to push it one step further. For instant I was inspired for dinner tonight from this recipe for Cauliflower Mac n’ Cheese on the Red Hair Yellow Dog Blog.

I liked the idea of using cauliflower in Mac n’ Cheese, but decided to nix the noodles. I also decided to nix the majority of the cheese and instead go the squash substitute route. By the end my concoction no longer resembled the original idea but the inspiration behind it was still there. The end results wasn’t the prettiest thing out there, but let me tell you it was tasty!

DSCN1717.JPG

• Handful of shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
  • Garlic
  • Oregano
  • Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
  • S&P
  1. Preheat the over to 420
  2. Spread the cauliflower on a baking sheet, season with S&P and bake for 10 minutes
  3. Remove the cauliflower and reduce the temp to 375
  4. In a mixing bowl combine the squash, ricotta cheese, broth, flour and seasoning
  5. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray then add the cauliflower, squash and broccoli and toss together
  6. Top with shredded cheese
  7. Bake for 15 minutes, enjoy!

DSCN1767.JPG

It might not look like the prettiest dish, but I really enjoyed it. The flavors all blended together perfectly and I was happily licking my plate clean in the end. I can’t wait to enjoy the left overs.

DSCN1737.JPG

With the casserole I made a simple salad of Tomatoes and Cucumber that I tossed with some Balsalmic Vinegar and EVOO. A great light compliment to the dense casserole.

DSCN1751.JPG

Dessert was an apple I heated up in the microwave with cinnamon and topped with a dollop of Fat Free Cool Whip.

DSCN1769.JPG

My snack earlier this afternoon was a new find from Whole Foods over the weekend. I had a serving of the 365 Organic Teddy Grahams.

DSCN1704.JPG

At first I thought they were a little tasteless, but after the third or fourth one I was really enjoying the fact that they weren’t very sweet. The light sweetness really made them the perfect afternoon snack.

Now I must get back to my huge pile of laundry that was pouring out of my closet.

DSCN1709.JPG

Yep, that’s a whole month’s worth of dirty clothes divided in three laundry baskets and a pile on the floor.

I was amused on all the comments from my morning post of how much underwear I own. I guess I collect underwear like some girls collect shoes or purses, they may have a zillion of those items, but I have a zillion pairs of underwear. I also have this problem where every time I walk by a Victoria Secret I have to run in and buy 5 new pairs. They’e just so cute and really who doesn’t feel cute when they have pretty underwear on? Oh well, at least having so many allows me to go over a month without doing laundry. Money well spent if you ask me. :)

1 Meg January 14, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Your dinner looks absolutely delicious!

Yeah for lots of underwear!

2 Sara January 14, 2009 at 9:14 pm

I’m right there with ya! I could probably go without laundry for two months, before I would run out of clean underwear. My husband has to remind me when to do laundry because he runs out of clean undies long before I do! :)

3 Erica January 14, 2009 at 9:23 pm

I bookmarked that recipe from Red Hair Yellow Dog! Your version looks awesome too! I have sooo much underwear too!

4 Sarah January 14, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Haha, I am so familiar with that overflowing closet situation. Laundry MUST happen this weekend for sure because I’m too broke to buy any more underwear!

5 Sharon January 14, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I think it looks delicious! And wow, lovely teddy grahams! I heart them so much! -lol-

Great eats for the day, and good luck with the laundry! I often bring my laundry back home monthly! LOL LOL!!

6 ttfn300 January 14, 2009 at 9:30 pm

ooh, that casserole is very intriguing!! i was supposed to do laundry, but it’s too cold out, so i’m waiting… unfortunately it’s supposed to be chilly the next few days, so i hope i’m not left to work out in jeans :)

7 Matt January 14, 2009 at 9:35 pm

your so creative in the kitchen! i wish i would try new recipes like that! i mean, i can cook, but i make ordinary stuff. i need to branch out! thats my goal this week!

8 Mel January 14, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Your dinner looks amazing! Even my boyfriend who was peeking over my shoulder said it looks good.

Have fun with laundry, I did mine today!

9 Natalie January 14, 2009 at 9:37 pm

That cassorole sounds awesome!

I’m totally guilty oof that underwear to! I have at least a dozen pairs in my drawer that still have the tags on them! I definitely can’t walk away from those 5 for $25 sales either!

10 Laura January 14, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Your dinner looks so good!

I do laundry every weekend. For some reason, once I have enough to wash a full load, I want to wash it right then.

11 Hangry Pants January 14, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Well good to know you had a clean supply. :D

Dinner looks delish. We are the same way – take a recipe and completely transform it. Yummy.

12 Hangry Pants January 14, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Well good to know you had a clean supply. :D

13 Shelby January 14, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Great recipe. I’m bookmarking it! Hopefully I’ll get to make it soon =)

14 Heather Eats Almond Butter January 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Umm, “wasn’t the prettiest thing out there”? I must disagree as I think your cauliflower mac & cheese looks amazing and delicious. Another winner Meghann. Good luck with all that laundry!

15 Marianne January 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Sounds like a good combination to me! It might not be the most colourful meal, but that doesn’t mean it’s not pretty! :D

16 Ryan January 14, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Hahah! When I started college, I went out and bought like 20 pairs of underwear JUST so I wouldn’t have to do laundry every week! It worked! And, like you, when it’s time for laundry, I know because I’m running out!

Your casserole looks amazing!!!

17 The Healthy Hostess January 14, 2009 at 10:47 pm

The dinner looks amazing! I love when mixing veggies works out so well like that!
The dessert is a great idea too! :)

18 adrianna January 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm

you are so inventive! great din-din :)

i also love underwear. you’re sooo right…who doesnt feel awesome when they’re rockin some hot under garments. esp under my fave sweats.

19 emily January 14, 2009 at 11:55 pm

I didn’t get a chance to read the others’ comments, but I have to say, one time in college I didn’t do laundry for 2months (I rewear jeans) and I STILL had underwear leftover! I’ve always been known as the girl with the crazy underwear!

20 Mica January 15, 2009 at 12:05 am

Whoa, I can’t believe you came up with those changes that recipe. It looks super-yummy! I’m impressed!

21 Marissa January 15, 2009 at 12:21 am

Ugh, sometimes I wish my laundry would wash itself! All your eats look yummy!!

22 Sweet and Fit January 15, 2009 at 12:39 am

I just tried to make the zucchini-squash lasagna you posted the other day…but damn, this casserole looks sooo good!

23 Kristie January 15, 2009 at 12:45 am

Love love LOVE the dinner. Anything that pairs cheese and cauliflower is good with me.

And I say you can never have too many pairs of underwear. They need to be changed every day right? Might as well stock up! And the varieties are endless. I never used to understand how people could own SO many underwear but then I discovered just how fun cute underwear really are and now my drawer is overflowing just a tad ;)

24 strongandhealthy January 15, 2009 at 7:19 am

My laundry looks like that too! Awesome casserole dish! Have a great Thursday!

25 akasha384 January 15, 2009 at 7:23 am

I do that at VS too! They change the styles like every other month or so too which is always nice because its always different :P

26 Nicole January 15, 2009 at 8:40 am

I love the cauliflower in the mac and cheese! I am obsessed with cauliflower and I like in any way shape or form.

27 redheadyellowdog January 15, 2009 at 9:10 am

Thanks for the shout out Meghann!! That new recipe looks so good. I love th idea of using pureed butternut squash. And I would imagine the brocoli slaw gave it a great texture!

Was it just a can of squash or did you puree it yourself?

28 Meghann January 15, 2009 at 9:16 am

Red – It was from a can. :)

29 Brandi January 15, 2009 at 9:22 am

Love the laundry pic! Too funny – I’m sure you’re not the only one that could make it a month :)

Your dinner looks great!

30 jenn January 15, 2009 at 10:36 am

my question is
‘why would you want to have all that laundry to do.?’
keeping up on doing it is definitely a more convienent way. i hate doing it as it is, i couldnt imagine having that much to do and fold and hang and dry at one time.
good luck

31 Sarah January 15, 2009 at 11:07 am

have fun with the laundry! haha. thats one thing i hate doing, the folding and putting away part.
i used to live on an island in alaska and probably bc of the coastal breezes regulating the temps, it never got super cold and of course, never hot. more like rainy and drizzly all yr long, but people always thought it was crazy cold in alaska. not where i lived at least.

32 Elina January 15, 2009 at 5:56 pm

The casserole looks amazing! I’m definitely going to make this soon! :)