Pumped Up and a Guest Post

by Meghann on January 13, 2009

I am pumped up for my upcoming races!

Here’s the break down:

Get ready to see a lot of training themed runs that include both swimming and biking. In fact, my goal this weekend is to actually buy a bike! I have had zero luck bike browsing on Craigslist so Saturday I will be scouting used bike stores for a cheap road bike. I am all considering purchasing a hybrid bike, hoping for more practicality of using it. I found this reasonably priced Ladies Schwinn 700c Trail Way Hyrbrid Bike at Target that has perked my interest.

What are your thoughts on bike purchasing? The last time I got a bike was for Christmas when I was 12 and I always hated the bike because it was pink/ purple and I wanted a blue one. So please help me out here! 🙂

With the above races in mind and my looming schedule of packed weekends, I really need to step up my  morning runs. This morning I went 5.54 miles in 54:50. I really want to pick up my pace in the morning so my goal is to average 9:30 runs this week. Hopefully I can make this happen.

I tried to switch up breakfast this morning and left my berries in the fridge. I did miss them.

DSCN1670

I had 1 cup of Cheerios, 1 cup of Kashi Mighty Bites, 3 canned Peach Halves, 6 Cherries and 1/2 container of Vanilla Fat Free yogurt.

This wasn’t my best breakfast ever. I decided I don’t like cheerios with yogurt, the taste just did no sit right and the cheerios easily became soggy. ewww…. next time I will remember to stick with a little more of durable cereals with the yogurt.

Now I leave you with a Guest post from the lovely Cassandra. Have a great day!

Hello Meghann’s readers!

My name is Cassandra and I am The Plate Decorator. You can find my blog here: www.theplatedecorator.blogspot.com . I am a daily reader of Meghann’s blog. She has inspired me to run more, eat cleaner and continue with my goal to live a healthy lifestyle. I have not graduated college yet (like Meghann) but am starting my journey to become a Registered Dietitian. She has shown me a great path to life after I graduate.

Today I am bringing you a recipe from my list of favorite Go-To Dinners. This meal is something I started cooking in High School, my mom used to make a version at home. When I was in Film School it was a well known dish amongst my friends, everyone likes it! It is Kale and Tofu. Even if you are not a vegetarian you are sure to enjoy this dish! It is healthy beyond words! It’s full of fiber, iron and antioxidants and the taste is outta control!

Go to this link to find how to make it!

I hope you give this dinner a try! Let me know if you enjoy it as much as I do!

<3 Cassandra

1 Allison January 13, 2009 at 8:48 am

WOW! I love your schedule, and can’t wait to hear all about your training! I think it’s time to get my butt in geart (Mike and I keep talkign about the races we are going to sign up for – I think we need to just do it!)

As far as the bike goes – I’m in the same position as you – I need a new one and have no clue where to start – sorry I can’t be of more help – GOOD LUCK!

2 Sarah January 13, 2009 at 9:06 am

What an impressive lineup of races!!! I can’t even wrap my head around the thought of a triathlon … maybe someday. (My last bike is from when I was 12, too — I wish I had one now, buy I’ve got no storage space for it! grrr, teeny ny apartments.) I’ll be checking out Cassandra’s blog!

3 Erin January 13, 2009 at 9:16 am

How long ago was your first race? I am thinking of running my 1st in March and I am wondering how it was for you? Also I love that wooden bowl:)

About the bike, I’ve only had ancient ones from the 60’s so I couldn’t help you there

4 Dori January 13, 2009 at 9:19 am

That’s funny about the bike because I had specifically wanted ONLY a pink and purple bike – and we found it! At Toys R Us I believe actually! I need to pump up the tires and take it out this spring!

5 marafaye January 13, 2009 at 9:33 am

I want a bike too!! My mom gave me a Schwinn cruiser bike, but I haven’t picked it up from her house yet.

your race schedule is quite impressive!

6 bobbi January 13, 2009 at 9:34 am

Yeah for Tris! I have a jar on my desk that is for my future road bike there just soooo expensive. I have raced with my hybrid and mountain bike and let me tell you Megs it’s worh it to save up and buy a real road bike:) Thanks for introducing Casandra!

7 fitforfree January 13, 2009 at 9:40 am

Awesome that you have those races scheduled . . . seems like a great way to stay focused! I’m with you on the cheerios & yogurt thing . . . my favorites in yogurt are puffins, fiber cereals like fiber one or all bran, and kashi cinnamon harvest 🙂 have a great day!

8 Amandamoo January 13, 2009 at 9:40 am

OH NO, NOT A HYBRID!!! Take it from me, I have been riding a bike to work (and for multiple other excursions each week) for the past couple of years. Figure out what the purpose of the bike is and choose one from there. If you’re riding on roads, get a road bike. You will not regret it. The thinner tires and lighter frame make it move so much faster, it’s like gliding instead of pedaling. If you’re going to be on dirt regularly or if you prefer to feel more “grounded” on a bike, buy a mountain or cruiser bike. The thicker tires and heavier frame will make you feel very sturdy and the seat is usually bigger with more cushion.

A hybrid is a lame excuse for a bike. They try to take bits and pieces of a road bike and a mountain bike and put them together to market this new thing… the bits and pieces that they put together don’t really work together that way so they can’t really do the job they were intended to do… does that make sense?

Anyway, assess what you want to use your bike for and then choose. You’re way better off getting a used road bike AND a used mountain bike (if you see yourself doing both sorts of biking) than investing in a NEW hybrid.

Oh, also, bikes from Target/Wal-mart/K-mart need a really good tune before they are safe to ride. A good tune-up will cost at least $100 so factor that in when you’re looking at cost.

I’m obviously very passionate about bikes, sorry to take up so much space!! Have a great Tuesday!

9 VeggieGirl January 13, 2009 at 9:45 am

FABULOSU RACES COMING UP!!! Any mini Larabars??? Haha, you knew I’d ask 😉

Hi, Cassandra!! Great guest post!!

10 VeggieGirl January 13, 2009 at 9:45 am

**FABULOUS

11 Nicole January 13, 2009 at 9:46 am

Awesome! You must be super excited for the upcoming races.

As for my bike.. my grandma bought it for me for Christmas a couple years ago. She got it from the Dick’s Sporting Goods website. It was cheap and it is a decent bike. I would not recommend getting a cruiser bike like I did for serious bike riding. I learned quickly that this is not the bike to use for commuting!

12 ksgoodeats January 13, 2009 at 9:47 am

Great line up you’ve got!! Love the dollop of vanilla on top of your breakfast 🙂

13 carolinebee January 13, 2009 at 9:52 am

I only have a cruiser but sounds like you have some good tips! Yay cassandra your meal looks fab.

14 lauren January 13, 2009 at 10:13 am

alot of stuff coming up fast – cant wait to hear all about it!

15 Marissa January 13, 2009 at 10:32 am

I think a bike is a great idea!

16 Meg January 13, 2009 at 10:43 am

What a line-up of races!

Love the guest post!

17 Melissa G January 13, 2009 at 11:13 am

Hi Meghann! I’m the one from Colorado that rarely comments 🙂
Anwyways, i had to give you my $.02 on bikes since that is my specialty :)) I have done about 20 tri’s and have 3 bikes so I consider myself somewhat of an expert on this.
I agree with the above commenter- don’t buy a hybrid!! If you want to have any future in road biking or tri’s, you should def buy a road bike. Now I agree they are expensive, but really you get what you pay for. If you are only planning on doing your one sprint tri, then probably a cheapo from target or something will, do, but if you want any future in more road biking (which trust me, once you do it more, you will become an addict like me :)) then I would rec spending at least $500 to get a decent one. I don’t want to take up more space here but feel free to email me if you want to chat about it more 🙂 Good luck!

18 Rebecca January 13, 2009 at 11:21 am

Your race schedule looks great!

As for the bike, I begged and begged for a road bike for Xmas a few years ago…which proceeded to sit in my various apartments unridden for about 3 years! It seemed like a pain to get in my bike shoes if I wanted to go anywhere and I was scared to hit the roads alone. HOWEVER, I finally broke it out this summer and LOOOOOVED it.

I have a Trek road bike. I can’t say enough about how much I love it. Its super light, and really well made. I know that road bikes are generally priced a little higher then hybrids and mountain bikes, but it is definitely a worthwhile investment if you are going to use it for road riding. Good luck!

Also, I would recommend going to a bike store and taking some test rides.

19 sarahannmatheny January 13, 2009 at 11:22 am

That’s kind of a daunting schedule! Are you concerned about having the half and the triathalon so close together? I’m planning on doing a 10K in two weeks, and now I’m concerned that I didn’t leave myself enough time after my half.

It seems like you recovered from your half pretty quickly, though, so I’m sure you’ll have no problem!!!

20 Raspberry Runner January 13, 2009 at 11:36 am

i would suggest going to a bike store to ride around on some bikes to see what feels good! i got a fuji road bike last year, and i love it! mine in really lightweight and designed for women. road bikes are more expensive, but i have definitely gotten my money’s worth out of mine! good luck with all your races! will this be your first triathlon??

21 Mercina January 13, 2009 at 11:42 am

Good luck with the races! I actually signed up for a 10k run myself. I originally wanted to do the half-marathon but decided that for my first race I should be a little more reasonable (I’m not much of a runner). It’s not until May so I have a while to prepare. I’m looking forward to reading your posts!

22 Mel January 13, 2009 at 11:42 am

Wow you have a packed schedule for races! I know you’ll do great!

23 biz319 January 13, 2009 at 11:44 am

Hey Meghann. For my triathlon I did in 2006, I bought a speed (i.e. really skinny tires) bike for $20. You’ll be amazed at the amount of $$$ some people spend on the tri equipment!

So there I was, with my $20 bike, my $10 helmet, and my two year old shoes! It was a sprint: 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike ride and 5K race. My goal was to do it in 2 hours, and I missed it by 30 seconds!

My favorite part was the bike, hands down.

Good luck bike searching!

24 Sarah W. January 13, 2009 at 11:53 am

I have no clue about bikes. I still have my bike from MIDDLE SCHOOL, no worries, its an adult mountain bike…..I’m going to have my friend come tune it up tomorrow night so I can start using it more! I think I need new tires – ooops

25 Julie January 13, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I did my first tri last June with my hybrid bike and it worked fine…it was kind of funny because lots of people were all decked out with their road bikes and bike shoes special helmets and spandex biking outfits…and here I come in my tennies and hybrid bike and normal helmet…but I made it and I did the bike portion faster than my husband thought I would – he wasn’t ready with the camera! 😉 I would go to a bike store and see what feels best to you – I like the hybrid because I like to ride crushed limestone trails and I like to sit up when I ride, not hunched over on a road bike…but that’s just me!

26 rhodeygirltests January 13, 2009 at 12:27 pm

woweeeeeeeeeeeeeee so exciting dollface! you are so ambitious, i LOVE it!

27 Erica January 13, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Good luck with all of the runs! I’m sure you will do just fabulous! Fun guest post too!

28 Marianne January 13, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I would totally buy a bike from a bike shop, not a mass relator, as they can help you fit the bike and assess your needs better. I have a Trek bike which I love (sorry, don’t know the model since I’m not at home, and it’s a few years old anyways). I use it to bike to work sometimes in the summer, and for some trail riding for fun.

29 Hangry Pants January 13, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Ah, you’ve reminded me I need to sign up for a 5K in the spring! I don’t have a bike, but I really want one.

30 Andrea of Care to Eat January 13, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I’m agreeing with everybody about going to a reputable bike shop in your town. They will let you try them out and they will FIT you for the correct bike size. That’s key especially if you’re going to use it in a Tri. I have a Trek hybrid, but I only do a little city riding and the occasional longer distance charity bike rides. My husband has a Trek road bike for city commuting and century rides cuz he rides all the time. It might be more than what you want to spend, but if doing Triathalons is something you would like to get into, it’s worth investing in a good bike from the get-go.

31 Whitney January 13, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I was going to do the Season’s 52 race as well but the website says it is a racewalking competition. So I’m not sure if racewalking is all that is allowed – what do you think??

32 Whitney January 13, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Ok 🙂 I just signed me and my mom up for the 5.2K! We should meet up!

33 Justy2003 January 13, 2009 at 6:25 pm

I just bought a bike last week! This bike, in fact: http://www.trekbikes.com/women/wsd_products/bikes/bike_path/7100wsd/ I think it’s pretty cute 🙂
It’s a Trek 7100, which is a hybrid. Seems like some people have some negative things to say about the hybrids, but for a commuter/casual biker like myself, it’s perfect! So far I love it! It’s lightweight, quick on the roads (although I’m sure a roadbike would be much quicker!), and I don’t hafta worry about going on crushed gravel trails sometimes. Like you, I had no idea what to get, but I went to a local bike shop, rode some around, and found what I liked/needed.
I’d say it depends on what you want to use the bike for as to what type of bike you should get (hybrid vs. road vs. comfort, etc.). Like I said, this bike is perfect for me as a casual biker/commuter!

34 everydayrace January 13, 2009 at 7:27 pm

oo hey i guess i will do that 5.2k so we can do it together. i need to sign up ASAP

35 Ryan January 13, 2009 at 9:09 pm

You’re doing Gasparilla!? I just got off the phone with my best friend in Tampa and we were talking about doing the 5K that weekend! I was just reading on their FAQ’s that you can’t wear headphones because it’s a USATF sanctioned event. I’d have a hard time with that but it’d be fun nonetheless! We should meet up!

36 Erin January 13, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Wow, those upcoming races look fun! Are you following a training plan for that triathalon?

Just be careful not to overdo the mileage – I’ve made that mistake and there’s nothing worse than having to skip a race that you trained really hard for!

37 Chantalle January 14, 2009 at 1:18 am

I’ve been lurking for a while and this will be my first comment here! First of all, I love your blog and all the pictures you post. They are great!

On to bike stuff…what will you mostly be using your bike for? Cross training? Triathlons? Commuting? I suggest getting a road bike if you will be using it for the first two. Also, what is your budget? You can get some great deals on Craiglist or if your local bike shop has a sale going on. Problem with Craiglist is that you need to know what size bike you need and how the bike should feel. Most likely, a road bike will feel uncomfortable at first, because you need to get used to the position.

I had no clue what I was doing when I got my first bike, took it for a round around the parking lot of the LBS and bought it. 5 months later I was hating it because it didn’t fit me. This time around, I knew what I was looking for, and found my current baby, which fits me like a glove.

Definitely don’t rush into it and take your time! You can email me if you want more suggestions/advice.

38 Rae January 14, 2009 at 10:23 am

I’m a little bit late with this, but thought I’d throw in my two cents on the bike!

Ive been a triathlete for 4 years, and of course have succumbed by now and bought one of the pricy bikes. However, for your first, I would say that a 50 dollar Target bike would be just fine. You dont need to drop alot of money until youre sure you LOVE ths sport. All you need is a bathing suit, running shoes, a helmet and a bike!!

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me…about training, bikes, or anything! I love this stuff and would love to share anything I can with you!!

39 ttfn300 January 14, 2009 at 8:20 pm

hmm, i took someone with me who knew bikes when i went to try some of them out. i ended up with a road bike. i am still learning, but i think the best advice is to make sure it fits properly, otherwise you could end up with knee pain or not want to ride, which would be a shame 🙂