After my post this afternoon, I immensely enjoyed my afternoon nap. I passed out for 2 glorious hours and felt so fabulous afterwards that I treated Abbie to a one mile walk around a local park.
Before the walk I munched on a Peanut Butter Larabar.
Got to love the 10 for $10 sale going on at Publix right now for Larabars!!
I must have got more of a work out then I thought cheering on the marathoners today because my hunger has been out of control today. The Larabar barely hood me over through the walk and when I returned I immediately set out on making dinner.
Tonight I decided to reach into the creative bin in my head and did a fun spin on lasagana. I think I’ve actually seen this done before, but I just took the idea and built my own recipe.
Zucchini & Yellow Squash Lasagna
- 2 Zucchinis
- 2 Yellow Squashes
- 1/2 pound Ground Turkey
- 1 can No Salt Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 small Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/2 jar Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 1 cup 2% Mozzarella Cheese
- 7 oz Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
- 1 egg white
- S& P
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Slice the zuccini and yellow squash length wise, season with S&P, bake in oven for 10 minutes
- In a small skillet sautee onion and garlic
- Add ground turkey to onion mix and season with thyme, oregano, S&P
- Once turkey is brown add tomatoes and pasta sauce
- In a seperate bowl mixx the cheeses, egg whites and seasonings
- Once all three seperate parts are done start layering the lasagna in a bread loaf pan. Start with the meat mixture, squash, cheese and repeat until out of ingredients
- Cover with aluminum and bake for 25 minutes, remove aluminum and cook 5 more minutes until done.
On the side I had a piece of Toast, I drizzled with a little bit of Olive Oil and Garlic Salt.
I always am impatient when food comes out of the oven so I didn’t let the lasagna sit long enough, which is why it fell apart on me in the bowl. Atleast it still tasted good. I really enjoyed this meal and would make it again in a heart beat.
For dessert I’m planning on having this Apple heated up with Cinnamon and Fat Free Cool Whip. I haven’t had the urge for dessert yet, but I know it will strike.
I get several questions on how I grocery shop and about how much money I spend per week on groceries. I am a single health consious girl who eats about 90% of my weekly meals at home, so I rely heavily on my weekly grocery trips.
My weekly grocery budget for groceries depends on how much food I have left in my fridge. I try to shop every Sunday, but for due to odd timing with the holidays and Caitlin’s wedding I never had a chance to hit up Publix last week and ate my fridge dry.
As you can see I was in desperate need of groceries! This is usually not typically how empty my fridge gets so this this week’s grocery haul was a bit larger then normal. With that in mind here was what I came home with.
Yesterday’s purchases from Whole Foods….. not a weekly thing, but I believe worth noting.
- Blueberry Spelt Muffin ….. $1.79
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie ….. $1.79
- Honey Graham Bears ….. $2.49
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Clif Bar ….. $0.99
- Honey Graham Z-Bar ….. $0.69 (x2)
- Blueberry Z-Bar ….. $0.69
- Harvest Whole Wheat Crackers ….. $2.50
- Annie’s Cucumber Yogurt Dressing ….. $3.00
- Amy’s Butternut Squash Soup ….. $2.00
- Amy’s Chunky Tomato Soup ….. $2.00
- Whole Wheat Flour ….. $2.99
- Whole Foods Total ….. $21.62
Next up, Publix. Now this is usually my one stop shop for the week. I know I could probably save money coupon hopping at other stores, but honestly I LOVE PUBLIX. It’s my favorite non-organic grocery store and I can’t imagine shopping anywhere else for my weekly grocery needs. They’re clean, helpful and always very friendly.
- Spinach ….. $2.00
- Cherries …. $2.48
- Cauliflower ….. $1.67
- Broccoli Slaw ….. $1.67
- Tangerines ….. $1.50
- Tomato ….. $0.61
- Cucumber ….. $1.29
- Boniato ….. $0.58
- Zucchini ….. $1.48
- Yellow Squash ….. $1.98
- Blackberries ….. $1.29
- Strawberries ….. $2.99
- Braeburn Apples ….. $1.79
- Publix Produce Total ….. $21.33
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts ….. $2.59
- Ground Turkey ….. $2.99
- Stacey Pita Chips ….. $2.50
- Shredded Mozz Cheese ….. $2.79
- Flat Out Spinach Wraps ….. $2.00
- Part Skin Ricotta Cheese ….. $2.00
- Stoneyfield Yogurt ….. $0.60 (x3)
- Sauerkraut ….. $0.65
- Peanut Butter Larabar ….. $1.00 (x2)
- Black Beans ….. $0.75 (x2)
- Peach Halves ….. $1.23
- Egg Whites ….. $3.99
- Refried Beans ….. $0.99
- Kasher Baby Dill Pickles ….. $1.89
- Arnolds Multigrain Thins ….. $2.99
- Cous Cous ….. $2.19
- Raspberry Seltzer ….. $3.67 (x2)
- Everything Else Publix Total ….. $41.44
This week’s Grocery Total ….. $84.39!!
Keep in mind this total is making up for not grocery shopping last week, includes a bonus trip to Whole Foods and will cover three meals a day plus 2 snacks a day for the next week. I don’t think that’s half bad, even if it is just for little ole me.
Now my fridge and cabinet are now happily filled.
ANd just for fun I thought I would show you guys my chocolate stash. I seem to be a collect of chocolate so when ever I get some I hide it away in my butter tray of my fridge. Keep in mind this doesn’t even included the Butterfinger I earned today and added to my stash.
Trust me it takes will power to have that stash, but honestly its so well hidden I forget its there. If you need a place to stash treats, try the butter tray trust me it works!
I’m very excited because I just discovered the Golden Globes are on tonight! I’m watching the Red Carpet Pre Show at the moment drooling over all the fabulous dresses and hot men. I’m going to grab a cup of tea and sit back and relax while enjoying the awards. Anybody have good picks for whose going to win tonight?