more ยป" />

Zucchini & Yellow Squash Lasagna

by Meghann on January 11, 2009

After my post this afternoon, I immensely enjoyed my afternoon nap. I passed out for 2 glorious hours and felt so fabulous afterwards that I treated Abbie to a one mile walk around a local park.

Before the walk I munched on a Peanut Butter Larabar.

DSCN1630.JPG

Got to love the 10 for $10 sale going on at Publix right now for Larabars!!

I must have got more of a work out then I thought cheering on the marathoners today because my hunger has been out of control today. The Larabar barely hood me over through the walk and when I returned I immediately set out on making dinner.

Tonight I decided to reach into the creative bin in my head and did a fun spin on lasagana. I think I’ve actually seen this done before, but I just took the idea and built my own recipe.

DSCN1637.JPG

• 7 oz Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
  • 1 egg white
  • Oregano
  • Thyme
  • S& P
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  2. Slice the zuccini and yellow squash length wise, season with S&P, bake in oven for 10 minutes
  3. In a small skillet sautee onion and garlic
  4. Add ground turkey to onion mix and season with thyme, oregano, S&P
  5. Once turkey is brown add tomatoes and pasta sauce
  6. In a seperate bowl mixx the cheeses, egg whites and seasonings
  7. Once all three seperate parts are done start layering the lasagna in a bread loaf pan. Start with the meat mixture, squash, cheese and repeat until out of ingredients
  8. Cover with aluminum and bake for 25 minutes, remove aluminum and cook 5 more minutes until done.

On the side I had a piece of Toast, I drizzled with a little bit of Olive Oil and Garlic Salt.

DSCN1640.JPG

I always am impatient when food comes out of the oven so I didn’t let the lasagna sit long enough, which is why it fell apart on me in the bowl. Atleast it still tasted good. :) I really enjoyed this meal and would make it again in a heart beat.

For dessert I’m planning on having this Apple heated up with Cinnamon and Fat Free Cool Whip. I haven’t had the urge for dessert yet, but I know it will strike. :)

DSCN1643.JPG

I get several questions on how I grocery shop and about how much money I spend per week on groceries. I am a single health consious girl who eats about 90% of my weekly meals at home, so I rely heavily on my weekly grocery trips.

My weekly grocery budget for groceries depends on how much food I have left in my fridge. I try to shop every Sunday, but for due to odd timing with the holidays and Caitlin’s wedding I never had a chance to hit up Publix last week and ate my fridge dry.

DSCN1574.JPG

As you can see I was in desperate need of groceries! This is usually not typically how empty my fridge gets so this this week’s grocery haul was a bit larger then normal. With that in mind here was what I came home with.

Yesterday’s purchases from Whole Foods….. not a weekly thing, but I believe worth noting.

DSCN1578.JPG

• Blueberry Spelt Muffin ….. $1.79
  • Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie ….. $1.79
  • Honey Graham Bears ….. $2.49
  • White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Clif Bar ….. $0.99
  • Honey Graham Z-Bar ….. $0.69 (x2)
  • Blueberry Z-Bar ….. $0.69
  • Harvest Whole Wheat Crackers ….. $2.50
  • Annie’s Cucumber Yogurt Dressing ….. $3.00
  • Amy’s Butternut Squash Soup ….. $2.00
  • Amy’s Chunky Tomato Soup ….. $2.00
  • Whole Wheat Flour ….. $2.99
    • Whole Foods Total ….. $21.62

Next up, Publix. Now this is usually my one stop shop for the week. I know I could probably save money coupon hopping at other stores, but honestly I LOVE PUBLIX. It’s my favorite non-organic grocery store and I can’t imagine shopping anywhere else for my weekly grocery needs. They’re clean, helpful and always very friendly.

Produce

• Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts ….. $2.59
  • Ground Turkey ….. $2.99
  • Stacey Pita Chips ….. $2.50
  • Shredded Mozz Cheese ….. $2.79
  • Flat Out Spinach Wraps ….. $2.00
  • Part Skin Ricotta Cheese ….. $2.00
  • Stoneyfield Yogurt ….. $0.60 (x3)
  • Sauerkraut ….. $0.65
  • Peanut Butter Larabar ….. $1.00 (x2)
  • Black Beans ….. $0.75 (x2)
  • Peach Halves ….. $1.23
  • Egg Whites ….. $3.99
  • Refried Beans ….. $0.99
  • Kasher Baby Dill Pickles ….. $1.89
  • Arnolds Multigrain Thins ….. $2.99
  • Cous Cous ….. $2.19
  • Raspberry Seltzer ….. $3.67 (x2)
    • Everything Else Publix Total ….. $41.44

This week’s Grocery Total ….. $84.39!!

Keep in mind this total is making up for not grocery shopping last week, includes a bonus trip to Whole Foods and will cover three meals a day plus 2 snacks a day for the next week. I don’t think that’s half bad, even if it is just for little ole me.

Now my fridge and cabinet are now happily filled.

DSCN1585.JPG DSCN1587.JPG

ANd just for fun I thought I would show you guys my chocolate stash. I seem to be a collect of chocolate so when ever I get some I hide it away in my butter tray of my fridge. Keep in mind this doesn’t even included the Butterfinger I earned today and added to my stash.

DSCN1577.JPG

Trust me it takes will power to have that stash, but honestly its so well hidden I forget its there. If you need a place to stash treats, try the butter tray trust me it works!

I’m very excited because I just discovered the Golden Globes are on tonight! I’m watching the Red Carpet Pre Show at the moment drooling over all the fabulous dresses and hot men. I’m going to grab a cup of tea and sit back and relax while enjoying the awards. Anybody have good picks for whose going to win tonight?

1 Kate January 11, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Meghann-thank you SO so much for posting the prices!!! I was literally going to ask you how much some of the stuff was and then I saw them. That is so great-there’s a whole foods like 20 min from my house but I’m never sure if it’s worth it so now I can compare!:)Oh…Yay for a full fridge!

2 Melissa January 11, 2009 at 7:50 pm

thanks for sharing your healthy fridge. And $84 is a great deal for all that food. I will probably spend more than that on 2 meals out this week. But I am going to try and commit to bringing lunch to work more!

3 Andrea (Andrea's Eats) January 11, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Thanks for sharing your groceries. I went way over budget this week on groceries, but I plan on eating 3 meals from home almost all week. I bring lunch most days to work. Groceries are costly! Especially when you eat fresh, healthy foods!

4 ttfn300 January 11, 2009 at 7:56 pm

i just saw that white choc mac nut clif bar and picked it up too!! might have to try that butter drawer trick :)

5 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) January 11, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Restocking weeks are always more expensive, esp. for health-conscious foodies like us who make all our meals! :) And YES totally hit up the blackberries, I couldn’t believe how cheap they were!

I’ll let you know on the Disney Half volunteering. It’d be SO much fun. Ross’ 25th bday is the week before, so I have to see what we’re doing (I may swing something for him the weekend before). And hey, who wouldn’t want free Disney tickets? oo, I’m thinking free bday present for Ross! ;)

6 VeggieGirl January 11, 2009 at 8:20 pm

LARABAR!! LASAGNA!! WHOLE FOODS GROCERIES!! :-D

7 carolinebee January 11, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Sweet grocery shop…I can just see you with your receipt, diligently typing that all out!! I totally have a choc stash, it’s in a vase thing in my cupboard…nice to know it’s there for a dire chocolate emergency.

8 Shelby January 11, 2009 at 8:21 pm

LOVE the PB Larabar! My favorite =)

Ooo and that lasagne looks so delicious, I love small meals like that.

9 Emily January 11, 2009 at 8:26 pm

oh man! I have a stash of peanut M&Ms too. I think i do pretty good with it too, one of those bags will last me about two weeks, because ill just eat a couple here and there! haha.

10 Andrea January 11, 2009 at 8:28 pm

LOL! You’re “before” fridge shot is a total bachelor fridge! All that’s missing is a case of Bud Light. The “after” is definitely more bachlorette-y. Great looking lasagna!

11 Gaby January 11, 2009 at 8:32 pm

WHITE CHOCOLATE MACADAMIA CLIF?! Is this a new flavor? As you can tell I am so jeal and want to try! Please let us know how it tastes. Thanks

12 strongandhealthy January 11, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Your dinner looks awesome! Great groceries!

13 Raspberry Runner January 11, 2009 at 8:38 pm

great idea for the lasagna!! i am also impatient when foods come out of the oven, which leads to lots of tongue burns. even though your lasagna fell apart, it still looks pretty in the bowl :)

14 sweetandnatural January 11, 2009 at 8:39 pm

I’m watching the Golden Globes right now! I totally forgot they were on, but only missed the first 20 minutes.

15 blueskyworld January 11, 2009 at 8:42 pm

LOOKS yummy!
omg i wish i could find sandwich thins here in cali… do you know if they’ll ever be sold in cali?

I adore larabars~!!!! i wish they sold those mini ones too. heh

i’m a “new” blogger and i hope we could become friends =]
nice to meet you!

16 Amy January 11, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Love that you posted your groceries and price list. I also live alone, and sometimes wonder if its normal to spend as much as I do (especially when most college kids do NOT do this!). I rarely eat out, and really only spend money. outside of groceries, on starbucks. Thanks for sharing! My bill is about the same. Single gals rock!

17 Erica January 11, 2009 at 8:44 pm

I had no idea the golden globes was on!

LOVE publix! the 10 for 10 sale is awesome. I might go back tomorrow because they only had banana and apple when I showed up Friday.

The lasagna looks great. Love extra veggies!

Have a good one

18 Meg January 11, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Love the peek into your fridge and pantry. I didn’t know there was a white chocolate macadamia nut clif bar!

19 inmytummy January 11, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Ooh, I wonder if my Publix is having that sale. I need to check it out.

20 Hangry Pants January 11, 2009 at 8:51 pm

I think it is UNFAIR that I cannot find flat out wraps. I like the price list. I think I am going to go back and add mine in now. :D Copy cat Heather. :D

21 Heather Eats Almond Butter January 11, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Love the pre-show, but I totally spaced it was on. I’ll just have to watch the Fashion Police recap tomorrow night. Major guilty pleasure. :)

Yay for a stocked fridge. I think you did great – $85 for all that food? Not bad at all!

Your squash lasagna…freaking brilliant. I gotta try that!

22 Justy2003 January 11, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Love the grocery-shop rundown! I say it’s definitely worth that $84.39 for fresh, healthy foods all week (and restocking on some items)! It’s probably much cheaper than eating out!
My boyfriend and I usually spend about that amount each week on the two of us…and maybe a quick, cheap trip to the store if we forgot a thing or two, but that includes all of our meals for the week except for one night out.

23 Ryan January 11, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Thank you for posting your prices! Sometimes I feel like spending $50/$60 on groceries in a week is way to expensive but it’s good to see that I’m in the ballpark of someone else.

I definitely got the blackberries and Larabars on sale at Publix today too! Have a great night!

24 eatingbender January 11, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Great shop! Thanks for posting everything. I just bought that new macadamia Clif bar, too. I can’t wait to try it!

The marathon sounded like a lot of fun :) I’m glad you got to take a nap this afternoon, too.

25 ksgoodeats January 11, 2009 at 9:19 pm

The white choc. mac. nut bars are SOOOOO GOOD!! I hope you like ‘em as much as I do :)

Love the grocery shots!

26 Michaela January 11, 2009 at 9:39 pm

FYI..CVS pharmacy also has a bunch of nutrition bars on sale including lara, clif, zone, luna, gen soy, pure protein, etc…all $1 or less!!

27 Sarah January 11, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Soooooooooo relieved you did not throw away the butterfinger!! I wholeheartedly approve of the hidden fridge chocolate stash ;-)

28 Lindsay January 11, 2009 at 9:42 pm

I have been following for a little while and I have enjoyed your posts. I am so jealous of your grocery trip! Here in eastern NC I have to drive an hour to hit up a Harris Teeter, 3 for Whole Foods and Trader Joes! I do have the basics, but not the fun uber healthy stuff!

I have to thank you for ideas eating for one, my husband just deployed and I have never lived alone before…I had no idea where to start! I enjoy your energy.

29 Marissa January 11, 2009 at 9:51 pm

I stash my chooclate in the freezer. Glad you had a long nap – they are always nice!

30 Nicole January 11, 2009 at 9:54 pm

KATE WINSLET ALWAYS!!!

I also have to just say how jealous I am that you have a white chocolate macademia nut clif bar!!!!!! I’ve never seen those!

31 adrianna January 11, 2009 at 10:00 pm

i totally hide my chox in the butter cubby as well, lol. happy to see the volunteering was so fun! what a great place to marathon, eh?
and i’m happy to have some comparison as to what others spend on groceries. makes me feel a lot better when i check out those receipts.

love the globes and red carpet, yay! and so happy heath ledger just won…though we all probably figured it. he was sooo great in that film, however. as for other wins, i always pick MY faves, which dont tend to get it. tina fey, alec baldwin, and 30 rock will be takin home some tv stuff i bet.

32 Mel January 11, 2009 at 10:01 pm

That is quite a take home for groceries.

Your lasagna looks really good, I think I may use your recipe really soon!

33 Bridget January 11, 2009 at 10:10 pm

That lasagna looks awesome! The chocolate stash is impressive, I think I might finally be at the point where I could have that kind of stash around!

34 Marianne January 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm

What size is that whole wheat flour for only $2.99?! I don’t think I can even get a small bag of whole wheat flour for less than $5.00 here. I think I would be scared to list out what I spend on each item like that, it would look like alot of money!

35 Melissa S. January 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm

dude, that was the greatest grocery post ever! i love how you listed the prices!

and the chocolate stash in the butter spot: GENIUS!

36 Aggie January 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I too love Publix! I saw they had a sale on Lararbars and am going to stock up tomorrow! Working on my shopping list right now…;)

Love love love your healthy version of lasagna!! That would really hit the spot.

I also loved reading your post about the marathon, my friend ran it and I am wondering if I will see her tomorrow morning at preschool drop off to hear about it. I can’t even imagine…that is awesome you volunteered!

37 Sharon January 11, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Hahaha, love your chocolate stash in the fridge! What a smart idea!

And great great eats for the day! Love it!

38 Angela January 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm

YAY KATE WINSLET!!!!!!!I admit I cried the second time she went up- so honest and touching! LOVE HER!

Love your lasagna!

Angela

39 bobbi January 12, 2009 at 12:53 am

I love all the food, our fridges and pantrys look a lot alike. My friend worked at the Grammys tonight and talked to like a gazillion famouse peeps! Hey I am doing a new thing on my blog that I would love to have you as a guest on, I ll send you more information soon:)

40 Sammie January 12, 2009 at 9:22 am

Awesome recipe – I just might even be able to get Charlie to eat ground turkey with this one.

41 Sweet and Fit January 12, 2009 at 9:45 am

the lasagna recipe looks sooo good, funny thing is that I actually have some zucchini and squash that I wasn’t sure what to do with… thanks so much for the recipe!

42 redheadyellowdog January 12, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Yum that lasagna looks great!! I’ve definitely gotten obsessed with Canada Dry lately. It always seems to hit the spot!

43 elise January 12, 2009 at 2:10 pm

crafty lasag work! i LOVED reading about your marathon cheering yesterday, too…that must have been SO fun. it really sounds like everyone appreciated your support, too, and that free pass to disneyworld alone was worth it. i can def see how all that cheering could be a work out!!

44 rhodeygirltests January 12, 2009 at 2:18 pm

I have a chocolate stash too, but it is so well hidden that the chocolate keeps expriing before i get to eat it! srsly! same thing with my tub of ice cream.

45 healthy ashley January 12, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I stash my sweets int he butter tray, too!

46 Kelly January 12, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I think I stalk you too much on here. lol so I made lasagna tonight and it was amazing. I copied your recipe but made it my own and added a few things and took away a few things. You should try putting some rutabaga slices in there….sooo good. :)

47 MaryBe January 15, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Aren’t sandwich thins the best?? I love them in so many ways!