One Sick Runner

by Meghann on January 7, 2009

I went to bed last night at 9:30, I had fallen asleep on my couch and decided to just give up on watching tv and go to bed. The exhausted feeling I’ve had since Sunday is still there and unfortunately I now know the culprit. My eyes are dry, my nose is congested and my throat feels scratchy, I guess its time to officially admit to myself that I’m sick. Ughhh….. being sick is no fun, I turn into such a baby. I apologize in advance for any future complaining.

Unfortunately I have a zillion meetings schedule for work this week, so I am going to have to stick it out here, when I would much rather be curled up in bed.

I am also embarrassed to admit to you guys how obsessed with running I am. Even though I woke up not feeling my best, I still strapped on my running shoes and headed out the door for a 4.69 mile run this morning.

Is it ok to run while sick? I found the question answered in a Running Times Article. In the article the Doctor suggests doing a “neck check”, if all of the symptoms are above the neck and you are not running a fever then you should be ok. Of course it should be an easy work out and you should always listen to your own body telling you if it’s needs a day off from running or not.

Sure, I was unattractively wiping my nose with my sleeve most of the time, but honestly knowing I finished that run makes me feel so much better. Don’t worry it was 70 degrees when I went out the door, if it was any colder I would not have ran it. I also did not push myself to hard and took my time running the route.

I was happy this morning knowing I had restocked my fridge with fruit the night before. I had a big beautiful bowl of berries, cereal and yogurt this morning.

DSCN1445

3/4 cup of Cherrios, 3/4 cup of Kashi Oatflakes & Blueberry Clusiters, Blackberries, Strawberries, and a dollop of Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt.

This breakfast was AMAZING. The fresh berries and yogurt was exactly what I needed. Yum!

1 VeggieGirl January 7, 2009 at 8:49 am

Wishing you a quick, full recovery, girl!!

2 Emily January 7, 2009 at 9:13 am

I actually just read a study yesterday that said that people with above-the-neck symptoms actually get better faster when they exercise while sick.
Get well soon!

3 Audrey January 7, 2009 at 9:18 am

don’t worry, i’m the same way. in college I was once so sick and determined to run that my roommates hid my sneakers on me so I couldn’t go..as long as your body feels up to it I think its ok to keep working out but I’m definitely no expert! get well soon.

4 fitforfree January 7, 2009 at 9:32 am

It’s tough when you have energy to burn but you’re “supposed” to be resting! In college I got strep all the time (and I think I would have avoided it if I’d taken a few more rest days), but I’ve read similar articles that say that with “above the neck” sickness, it’s okay to run. I guess you just have to listen to your body!

5 Erica January 7, 2009 at 9:35 am

Boo- I hope you feel better!! I love your bowl and that yogurt looks like whipped cream-yum!

6 Jill January 7, 2009 at 9:38 am

Your breakfast looks so yummy! I hope you feel better ASAP!

7 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) January 7, 2009 at 9:57 am

Oh bummer, I hope you feel a lot better soon! I read recently that some experts think exercise can actually make you get over your sickness faster, as long as it’s not below the neck. I hope that’s true for you! Your breakfast looked sooo good, I’m craving berries now! 🙂

8 Emily January 7, 2009 at 9:58 am

That breakfast looks amazing! I hope you get to feeling better.

9 Rose January 7, 2009 at 10:02 am

Being addicted to running is such a good feeling. I haven’t been “addicted” in a long time, but I’m hoping to get back in the swing. I think you made the right decision to go for a run this morning – it’s what you wanted, and your body could handle it. As long as you listen to your body, then you’ll do what’s best for yourself 🙂

On another note: Those berries look so fresh!

10 Justy2003 January 7, 2009 at 10:03 am

I still workout when I get sick as long as it’s just a cold or whatever and I feel up to it. Usually it helps me feel a little better and clears up some of the congestion! I say if your body feels up to it you’re fine!
Hope you start feeling better soon!

11 Marissa January 7, 2009 at 10:11 am

Your breakfast really does look amazing!

12 Taylor Leigh January 7, 2009 at 10:22 am

Your breakfast looks so good, reminds me of summertime 🙂 I hope you feel better, get lots of Vitamin C in you! Hope you have a great humpday!

13 Amy January 7, 2009 at 10:28 am

I’m sorry you’re not feeling the best! I’m getting sick too 🙁 Sore throat mostly. I hope you get well very soon! But on a positive note, I love the Kashi Blueberry Oat Flakes cereal…it’s so good! Your breakfast sounds perfect. You know I love berries !!

Get lots of rest <3

14 Krista January 7, 2009 at 10:35 am

Hope you feel better soon!

At least a good run helps to clear the sinuses, eh?!

I have that same leaf bowl!

15 Sammie January 7, 2009 at 10:44 am

I run even when I am sick – hey if I can still breath why not. I feel like I am sweating out all the germs. I am an addict too so it is so hard to take a day off. Even when I don’t run I still need to get some sort of cardio workout – if I don’t my body feels super sluggish. Have a great day.

16 Sammie January 7, 2009 at 10:44 am

By the way – I wish it were 70 here 🙁
I need to move to Florida.

17 Carolyn January 7, 2009 at 10:53 am

You are a stud! Wow, that is awesome that you did your run. I used to go to a trainer and I was getting a cold and tried to cancel he said “bundle up and get in here”…After 40 minutes of sweaty cardio that I thought I could never possibly do, I felt sooo much better!!
I wish I was as dedicated a runner as you though…I could easily miss out on my running today by using the fact that Meghann is sick today! See what I mean…you are a rockstar! Feel better.

18 Mara January 7, 2009 at 11:39 am

FEEL BETTER!!!!!

19 elise January 7, 2009 at 11:40 am

i’m glad you powered through your workout and feel all the better for it! your breakfast looks DE-lish. 70 degrees? im jealous, where are you?

20 Meghann January 7, 2009 at 11:47 am

Elise – I’m in sunny Orlando Florida!

21 jasmineo January 7, 2009 at 11:42 am

i’m so envious of all the berries you have available this time of year in florida! hope you feel better!

22 sweetandnatural January 7, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Feel better!

23 lauren January 7, 2009 at 12:46 pm

hope you feel better soon! i think running when I am sick helps clear me out and I sweat out the sickness.

24 Alexia January 7, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I’m sorry you are sick 🙁 I hope you feel better soon!

25 Stephanie January 7, 2009 at 1:50 pm
26 Jessica January 7, 2009 at 3:05 pm

The breakfast looks delicious!! But remember, when you are sick or stuffed up try to stay AWAY from the dairy!!! Just for a few days, I promise it will help! 🙂

27 Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2009 at 3:49 pm

That bowl of berries does look amazing! Sorry you’re feeling bad. I’m with you – I always continue with my workouts unless I’m running a fever. I just ease way up on intensity. Running always helps clear my head when I have a cold, and I feel better when I’m done. Get well soon!

28 Kate January 7, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Kashi oatflakes?? Are those new?? Sounds yummy and I love anything kashi!

29 Kate January 7, 2009 at 4:45 pm

p.s. I hope that you feel better!!

30 glidingcalm January 7, 2009 at 6:51 pm

those berries look sooooooo yummay!

31 caitlin January 8, 2009 at 12:58 am

i miss your face!! and feel better!