Braving the Scale

by Meghann on December 29, 2008

I decided to be brave and step on the scale today during my lunch hour. After multiple holiday feasts and treats, I was prepared for the worst. I mean what’s a little holiday weight in the long scheme of things? 😉

I held my breath and took the step on to the scale. I watched the pointer thingy circle up and land on its secured spot. I let the air out and had to blink for a second. I then eagerly hopped off the scale, let it zero out and then stepped right back on. That number could not be right… could it? You can imagine my surprise after I was bracing for the worse when the number it landed on was actually 2 pounds less then when I weighed myself on the scale previously.

I lost 2 pounds over Christmas? Granted, my weight tends to vary by a couple of pounds every time I hop on the scale, but I was expecting it to vary two pounds the other way. Maybe all those sweets weren’t as bad on the hips as I thought they would be? or maybe I have really mastered this whole healthy balance of living?

I mean sure I indulged and had my treats, BUT I also managed to keep up with my running, hiking, biking and walks with Abbie during the whole Christmas holiday. In fact I was on my feet more this past week, then any other previous week over the last couple of months.

This does not mean I plan to go crazy with my eating from now on, I appreciate my body way to much to test this theory further. It just lets me know that when the occasions do arise for a little splurging, that its ok. A healthy balance of the good and bad is really what life is all about! 🙂

Luckily I was very excited about today’s lunch as it has me back on the healthy side of life.

CIMG5086

I made a wonderful pressed wrap, which contains Olive Tapenade, Ham, Spinach, Cucumber, Tomato, Mushroom & Green Onion.

CIMG5094

I’m really digging the Olive Tapenade. First it made a great addition to my egg sandwich last week and now it has brought my wrap to a whole other level. Talk about a Super Yummy Wrap!

On the side I had a very refreshing Pear.

CIMG5090

Before lunch I had a snack of Mrs. May’s Naturals: Strawberry Cashew Crunch.

CIMG5080

I snagged this perfectly portioned box from a Christmas gift basket.

CIMG5081

It was a really yummy nut cluster that was crunchy, sweet and salty all at once.

As I type I am sucking on the last of my Candy Canes from my tree. My little cousins had ate the rest of them during my portion of the Christmas caravan last weekend.

CIMG5095

My watch is kind of bulk and hurts my wrist when I type so I always take it off when I’m at my desk. It’s the cutest watch, but a little impractical for typing. 🙂

As anyone else braved the scale yet from the holidays? I still have some partying over New Years and a wedding to attend this week, so I probably should have waited until after that to weigh myself. Oh well, you only live once! 🙂

1 VeggieGirl December 29, 2008 at 2:56 pm

LOOOOVE your plates and colorful eats!! 😀

Haha, I too take off my watch while typing 😉

Enjoy the rest of your afternoon!!

2 Julz December 29, 2008 at 2:56 pm

YOU ARE BRAVE WOMAN. I don’t even step on the scale when I am not holidulging… Shit, I wouldn’t even step on the scale (other than blindly) when I was at my lowest… YOU ROCK!

3 eatingbender December 29, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Kudos to you on being 2 pounds under after the Christmas festivities! I think you are definitely a great example of “healthy balance” – you had a lot of fun and enjoyed yourself while keeping up your active lifestyle. Nice!

Your lunch looks so crisp and delicious. Especially that pear – YUM!

4 Amy December 29, 2008 at 3:00 pm

That’s excellent that you’re 2 pounds less. From what I have seen, you have a great balance that goes on. It makes me hopeful! 🙂 I did step on the scale this morning and was down 0.2. haha My goal was to just maintain through the holidays so I’m happy.

5 lauren December 29, 2008 at 3:09 pm

I love the plate! congrats on mastering the scale 🙂

6 Melissa S. December 29, 2008 at 3:15 pm

great job w/ braving the scale and all the healthy/balanced eating you’ve done over the holidays. i envy your control and balance! as for me, i’m avoiding the scale at all causes. i don’t need that number; NOT AT ALL. 😛

7 bobbi December 29, 2008 at 3:19 pm

wow girl!!! I have not braved the scale and after last night wine and sweets I might wait one more day!!! lol…I take my watch off too it bugs the crap out of me when typing. I have never had olive tapenade? Did you get that the the market?

8 ksgoodeats December 29, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Wow that’s great!! What a nice surprise 🙂

That wrap looks so professional!!

9 tiffanie December 29, 2008 at 4:09 pm

i gained a few pounds and i’m finding it hard to get back on track and lose. it’s frustrating. 🙁 you’re quite the inspiration though!

10 Katy December 29, 2008 at 4:21 pm

I wish I could say the same thing … unfortunately, I must have taken your two pounds, PLUS. 🙂 But I’m back on the healthy-eating bandwagon, now, and feel better in the last two days than I did all of last week.

Thanks for sharing what you’ve learned … and for admitting that even the “experts” get nervous about the scale!

Katy
sillytatertot.blogspot.com

11 Heather Eats Almond Butter December 29, 2008 at 5:02 pm

I’m avoiding the scales these days. In fact, I usually avoid it in general. My weight can vary by 5 pounds over 24 hours, and so I just stopped stepping on it altogether. My favorite pair of pants always tells me when it’s time to scale back a little.

Glad you’re still loving the tapenade. Good stuff!

12 Elina December 29, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Wow, great job on not gaining weight, although I’m not surprised. You’ve been good, even if you haven’t realized it until this morning.
I actually braved the scale yesterday (and again this morning) and it wasn’t horrible but not great either. Unfortunately I totally pigged out today, so there goes that. Oh well, back to the grind tomorrow…
One day I hope to really get this balance thing right!! You’re an inspiration, Meghann!

13 Sammie December 29, 2008 at 5:14 pm

I am glad that the package made it to you in one piece. I hope you like the Puffins. I love your watch. I have a huge cuff style watch as well that I need to remove when typing.

14 caitlin December 29, 2008 at 5:49 pm

i dont do the scale anymore. i cant stand to be a slave to it.

and i told you that you were fine through the holidays! like i said at the wine bar, you have to eat 3500 extra calories to gain a single pound!! thats a lot of cookies and cheeeeese!!

15 Ryan December 29, 2008 at 6:36 pm

I’ve lost about 3 pounds since I got home, which is probably due to getting sick and there not being as much appetizing food at my house as there is at school. I like to think it’s because I had fantastic control during Christmas goodies though!

I do the same thing with my watch…which looks a lot like yours actually. It has the circles like that but I think my clasp is different. Is it Fossil?

16 Megan December 29, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Yeah for no Christmas weight gain and for healthy balance!!

17 marafaye December 29, 2008 at 10:01 pm

WTG on the weight loss… you rock!

18 Amanda December 29, 2008 at 10:45 pm

Ever since I have battled eating issues for so long, I have recognized what a number on the scale can do to my mindset! I could be feeling great, but seeing a number could completely change how I felt if it wasn’t what I wanted to see!! I have since gone by the fit of my clothes, most especially, my skinny jeans (not like thin, but just the style haha) .. and just strive to continue to fit into those.

Kudos to you, though. Weighing yourself is a great way to stay on track and it seems like you are really getting the hang of everything!!!

19 hangrypants December 29, 2008 at 11:38 pm

I think you’ve definitely come close to mastering the healthy balance thing!