A Different Take on Salad

by Meghann on December 29, 2008

Tonight’s dinner was my version of a deconstructed italian sausage hoagie. Instead of putting the italian sausage on a bun, I combined the filling and topped a bed of spinach with my creation. I It came out pretty good if I do say so myself.

CIMG5099.JPG

In the pan I added:

• Italian Turkey Sausage
  • Onion
  • Mushroom
  • Broccoli
  • Sauerkraut
  • Garlic
  • S&P

I heated it all up until the sausage was cooked through and the broccoli was soft.

CIMG5102.JPG

For a quick dressing to my salad I combined some Honey Mustard, Spicy Mustard, Vinegar, & Olive Oil. The quick homemade dressing was the perfect compliment to the sauerkraut/ italian sausage combination.

With the salad I had a slice of whole wheat toast.

CIMG5113.JPG

Dessert was a 100 calorie Klondike Ice Cream Sandwich.

CIMG5116.JPG

Mmmm… it has been way to long since I had ice cream.

Now its time to be productive and start dismantling all of my Christmas decorations. Its so sad to take them down, its starting to feel real that Christmas is really over. Is it odd to be listening to christmas music while undecorating the christmas stuff?!?! The Christmas music is always the hardest to let go. πŸ™‚

Is your tree still up? When do you usually start taking all of the Holiday stuff down?

1 VeggieGirl December 29, 2008 at 7:50 pm

Fun salad and dessert!!

**Yep, my tree is still up in my room and it’s NOT coming down any time soon. Mentioned why, in my current post πŸ˜‰

2 gina (fitnessista) December 29, 2008 at 7:55 pm

that dinner looks so good! you are so creative πŸ˜€
we always take down decorations on new years day.. i didn’t put any up in our casa since i’d be gone for the holidays. and no, there’s totally nothing wrong with listening to xmas music while you take it down!

3 Erica December 29, 2008 at 7:56 pm

Hey girl! I love deconstructed sandwiches made into salads!! Yours looks terrific! We didn’t really decorate, but our tiny tree is still up πŸ˜‰ I think its ok until after new years

4 Amy December 29, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Love the creative dinner concoction and ice cream dessert! Great choices for tonight πŸ™‚ We still have all of our decor up and will probably take it down after new year’s. Lights and sparkly stuff is kind of new year’s eve-ish, so it’ll still be acceptable…but when i get back to school january 11th, my tree will be up!

have a great night meghann

5 Laura December 29, 2008 at 8:23 pm

That salad looks yummy!

My tree is still up. I’ll take it down on new year’s day since I’m off work. I thought last weekend was too early, and I’m just not messing with it after work. πŸ™‚

6 Melissa S. December 29, 2008 at 8:24 pm

ohhh…i’ve never had sauerkraut. what does it taste like?

and my tree is still up because w’ere having a third x-mas dinner tonight w/ more family…it will come down soon after that. otherwise, mom doesn’t take down the christmas decor until after the new year…she likes to prolong the celebration as long as possible!

7 ksgoodeats December 29, 2008 at 8:53 pm

I love that plate πŸ™‚

Our tree is still up – we usually take it down Jan. 1st. Last year I kept my own tree up well into the spring!

8 Erin December 29, 2008 at 8:56 pm

That looks absolutely delicious. Your dressing recipe sounds like a great combination too!

I’ll leave my holiday stuff up till mid-Jan haha.

9 bobbi December 29, 2008 at 9:05 pm

wow I miss all your yummy eats, I have the rest of the week off, I should be eating healthy but I AM NOT!!! lol…well I am kind of.

We still have all our stuff up and I plan on taking it down on Friday, so sad, but I guess I am ready for the new year…but still sad!

10 Megan December 29, 2008 at 9:08 pm

We take all down on Jan. 1.

Yummy dinner!

11 biz319 December 29, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Looks good to me!

I can usually get away with keeping the tree up until the weekend after New Years. Then it, with all my snowmen πŸ™ come down!

Is the BSI recipe contest still going, or is that on hiatus because of the holidays?

12 Meghann December 30, 2008 at 9:10 am

Biz – Last I hear Stevian & Spice was hosting and she said she was on hold until after Christmas. So I am jsut as out of the loop as you πŸ™

13 Sammie December 29, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Your salad looks yummy. I still have my tree up but it will be coming down in the next day or 2. It is sad when the holidays are over – they are just so darn fun. Have a great night.

14 Andrea [bella eats] December 29, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Awesome salad! I had sausage tonight too, and am hoping to get some sauerkraut for New Year’s day! We take the decorations down the weekend after New Years, so I’ll have a sad “christmas is over” post Sunday I’m sure… πŸ™

15 Bridget December 29, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Yum!
We always leave our Christmas decorations up until after New Year’s and sometimes wait until the Epiphany/Three King’s Day on Jan. 6. With all the work that goes into putting it up, it’s nice to enjoy it for a while!

16 Heather Eats Almond Butter December 30, 2008 at 12:22 am

It makes me so sad to take down all the Christmas decor too. I usually wait until Dec. 1, and there is nothing wrong with listening to Christmas tunes after Dec. 25th. Sometimes, I need a little Carol of the Bells in July. Christmas music is allowed all year round as far as I’m concerned!

Mmmm, sausage and kraut. Delish!

17 Elina December 30, 2008 at 8:16 am

What a genius salad!
My tree is totally dying so we (well, my husband) is taking it down tonight πŸ™ I’m really sad because I really wanted to have it up for our New Years party.

18 caitlin December 30, 2008 at 8:19 am

haha i took down the chrismas stuff on dec 26!!

dinner looked delish!

can you remember to bring the burned DVDs over?? youre the best!

19 Julie December 30, 2008 at 9:01 am

I had turkey kielbasa and sauerkraut for dinner tonight too – and spinach was the base of my salad for lunch – I guess great minds think alike! πŸ™‚