more ยป" />

I <3 My New Garmin!

by Meghann on December 26, 2008

I’m in love and his name is Garmin! How have I ever lived without him?!?!

I was sooo excited to test out my new Garmin for my run this morning! Before I started though I did jimmy the strap for the HRM a bit tighter and that seemed to help it read my stats. My whole run I kept staring at my watch to see where I was to cool, I don’t think I can run again with out it.

My Garmin shared my Heart Rate, Run Duration, Distance, and Pace throughout the run. My new love is really going to help me step up my running game. I monitored my pace the whole way, making mental notes of when I started to slow down and needed to pick it up. It was interesting to see how I kept a 9:00 min pace for the first 2 miles and then it slipped to 10:00 after that and at one point hit 11:00. Towards the end I managed to bring it back down to a 9:30. I also noticed changes in my pace when I was listening to different songs, I never realized before how faster songs truly do make you run faster. I felt so intuned during my run gathering all of the information.

I can really see how this little baby is going to come in handy when I start speed training for my next 5k. It can help me map out exact miles to reach my fast goals with.

There is still so much I am learning about the little device too. For instance, I‘m still trying to figure out how to get the heart rates stats from my run? Anyone?

Here is the info I did get:

Time: 1:03:57

Distance: 6.31 miles

Avg Pace: 10:01 min/mile

Calories Burned: 627

I would love to figure out where to get the heart rate stats from, simply because I thought it was reading pretty low the whole time, I never saw it go above 140. I need to do more research into that.

Before my run I had half of a Clif Bar to fuel me up

CIMG4946.JPG

When I returned my Dad made a big yummy breakfast

CIMG4949.JPG

I had 2 Scrambled Eggs with a sprinkle of Cheddar Cheese, Homemade Hashbrowns (I saw him grate the potato himself!), and a piece of WW Toast w/ a bit of butter.

CIMG4950.JPG

I also had a Fresh Orange and Grapes.

CIMG4951.JPG

Seriously loving all the fresh citrus right outside my parent’s door.

I have also been playing the SnowBoard game on the Wii Fit all morning! So much fun!!!!

We’re going to do a little hiking this morning on the Econlockhatchee River and maybe catch a movie. I’m going to absorb all of the family togetherness time while I can. :)

1 VeggieGirl December 26, 2008 at 10:18 am

Great run and post-run breakfast!!

Have fun hiking!!

2 Natalie December 26, 2008 at 10:22 am

Sounds like you’ve had a heck of a Christmas. Congrats on the heart rate monitor! Thanks for sharing all your family photos. Homemade hashbrowns? Wow your dad is pretty neato to make those from scratch.

3 jenngirl December 26, 2008 at 10:36 am

Glad you’re enjoying your new HRM! All of the stuff it tells you sounds so fun! I can’t wait to set my Polar monitor up when I get home :)

That breakfast looks amazing, great way to refuel. Have a great day!

4 48colorrainbow December 26, 2008 at 10:38 am

In my opinion, hash browns are only hash browns if the potato has been grated.

5 Lindsay December 26, 2008 at 10:53 am

yay for your garmin!!!! what a great gift for you :)

love that homemade “dad” breakfast! enjoy your time w/ your fam!

6 Kate December 26, 2008 at 11:39 am

What kind of Garmin did you get? I got the Forerunner 50, in the pic yours looked more like the Forerunner 305? I haven’t set mine up yet, I need to find a decent, non-icy place to calibrate my foot pod, mine isn’t the GPS equipped model, but I wanted it that was for my frequent treadmill runs all winter long.

7 Meghann December 26, 2008 at 9:53 pm

Kate – I have the 305. I like the GPS aspect because I like to run outside. :)

8 Laura December 26, 2008 at 12:11 pm

That’s cool how the HRM tracks your distance and pace!

Enjoy the rest of your day!

9 ksgoodeats December 26, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Glad to hear you like your HRM!! Those eggs look DELISH – dads always make the best breakfasts!

10 Tra December 26, 2008 at 1:11 pm

don’t you have to hit mode to see the screens switch to see the heart rate? I have the same model and i want to see what’s up too. apparently i was working at 220 (!?) and then maybe that’s because the belt fell to my waist. (i am one of those people with tiny rib cages). i have to calculate my heart rate ranges too! =D

11 fitforfree December 26, 2008 at 1:27 pm

I’m still trying to figure out my new HRM … looks like yours is a great running tool! have a great day!

12 eatingbender December 26, 2008 at 2:04 pm

That Garmin sounds so cool! I don’t know too much about it, so I’m not help with the HRM. But I do know that my Polar is VERY sensitive and just being off a little bit makes it go straight to 00. It’s really frustrating sometimes!

That homemade breakfast looks excellent! Have fun with the fam!

13 bobbi December 26, 2008 at 3:21 pm

I am catching up on all your post, and everything looks so wonderful. I don’t know how you lived without the GARMIN!!!!! lol that is a huge reason that I belive I got faster was because I was able to push myself, and when you see your pace you can do just that. There are so many wonderful other features on it too, like the buddy: I also am a strong believer in high bpm music, it really does make me faster, I should send you a great mix!

14 Angel December 26, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Hey Cuz, I”ve heard there are websites out there that show the beats per minutes (BPM) of songs. So that way you can use the music to help set your pace too. So glad you love your Garmin!

15 adrianna December 26, 2008 at 4:15 pm

i got the same gift, and am sooo stoked! still trying to figure out all the bells and whistles, but if i get a clue, i’ll share w/ ya.

great run! enjoy the fam time; i’ll be doing the same :0)

16 Erin December 26, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Your dad is such a chef!

17 Bridget December 26, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Yay for new HRMs!!! I got one too and it was so fun to run with it yesterday!!! Hahah I wonder how many bloggers got HRM’s for Christmas! Looks like you had an incredible Christmas!!

18 Megan December 26, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Enjoy all your time with the family!

19 Jake from Garmin December 28, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Great writeup! I’m glad you’re loving your Forerunner. If you have any questions about the newest Forerunner – the 405 – check out our online tutorials: http://www.tinyurl.com/405help

And feel free to shoot me a note at twitter.com/jakesjournal

Cheers,