Early Morning Gym Trip

by Meghann on December 19, 2008

After dreaming that I hit the snooze button a zillion times, I was very surprised when the alarm actually woke me up and the clock read 5:15am. Dream are so tricky, I could have sworn I had already hit snooze on that alarm. Oh well.

With the extra time I was able to drive up the street to use my free guest pass at the gym. I was expecting a big sales speech for using the pass, but luckily since it was so early they just took the pass and let me right in with no more then having me sign in. I was saving the pass so I could do some strength training with their weights, but I was so in to the fourth Twilight book I figured I would use their elliptical for 30 minutes and read while I worked.

I could have read that book all morning on the elliptical if I had the time. I debated after finishing on finally doing the weights, but their personal TV treadmills looked intriguing. After my not so fun experience with the treadmill last week, a lot of people gave alot of advice on how to make treadmill running more bearable and personal TVs were one of them. So I hopped on, turned on my favorite early morning new program and set a manual 5k program so I could work.

Caitlin encouraged me to work on speed training on the treadmill, so that’s what I did. I started at 6.5 and then added .5 every other minute until I hit 9 and stayed there for two minutes, I repeated the cycle until the program ended. It was a very intense run that had me dripping sweat in the end.

All and all I can really see the treadmill as a great tool for speed training, but I still felt myself eyeing the timer the whole time just waiting for the seconds to tick by. I was concentrating so hard on running, I did not even get a chance to enjoy the program I was watching on tv and missed a lot of what was being said. I do wish I had an actual gym membership so I could come to the gym at least once a week and enjoy these luxuries, but I don’t see justifying that investment at the moment. Maybe one day…

I was starving as soon as I arrived home and got to work at making breakfast. I was craving a  little bit of everything.

CIMG4536

I had 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crunch, 1/2 Cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares, 1/2 cup Kashi Honey Sunshine, Blueberries, Blackberries, spoonful of part skim Ricotta Cheese and a spoonful of Cranberry Sauce.

CIMG4537

I thought the ricotta and cranberry sauce would make a nice touch. I was craving something creamy and this did the trick. The cranberry sauce blended perfectly with the ricotta giving it the wonderful sweet flavor that always has me thinking about cannolis.

Today is a short one at work. Our Holiday Lunch begins at 1pm and we are free to leave afterwards. I will post my lunch at dinner, but in the mean time I will post a little later about an idea that came to me through some comments yesterday. You will have to wait and see what it is though. 😉

1 Erica December 19, 2008 at 9:12 am

Glad you got to the gym this am! yayy for a short day! Hope the lunch is delicious and fun!

2 Natalie December 19, 2008 at 9:14 am

Good idea with the speed training!

I know what you mean about the treadmill. I can run an hour outside no problem, but 15 minutes on a treadmill seems like a lifetime!

3 caitlin December 19, 2008 at 9:16 am

thats what a towel is for – to cover the time on the treadmill. i am excited for our sleepover!

4 caitlin December 19, 2008 at 9:17 am

ANNNND the weather forecase for jan 1 has gone from high 65 low 40 rain to high 71 low 55 mostly sunny. and jan 2 is now high 71, low 46 partly sunny. so i have faith!!

5 caitlin December 19, 2008 at 9:18 am

oh and the only reason YOU (a hopeless romantic if i’ve ever met one) dont believe in soulmates is because you havent found yours yet. 🙂 perhaps at my wedding? i sat you at a table with three single friends of mine. LOL.

6 lauren December 19, 2008 at 9:45 am

great treadmill workout. ricotta and cranberry sauce – yum.

7 melissa December 19, 2008 at 9:48 am

wow that is a lot of cardio! I usually only do 20-25 mins on the elliptical or 20-25 mins on the tredmill! you make me feel so lazy! haha! have a great day Meghhan

8 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) December 19, 2008 at 10:02 am

haha I just read all of Caitlin’s comments and how she sat you w/ three single friends of hers made me laugh. 🙂 Wish I could be there for the sleepover tonight! I’m already busy cleaning and figuring out what I’m making for my in laws tomorrow morning. :/

Enjoy your short work day, yay!

9 Heather Eats Almond Butter December 19, 2008 at 10:20 am

Beautiful breakfast bowl and impressive treadmill workout. I don’t enjoy treadmill running either, but I use it for speed intervals. Wow, you got it up to 9 for two minutes…twice. That’s flying!

10 VeggieGirl December 19, 2008 at 10:35 am

Great run + scrumptious breakfast + short day at work = FABULOUS!! 🙂

11 jenngirl December 19, 2008 at 11:31 am

Oh Twilight, if I could lay around and read them all day, I would too. Seriously.

Nice workout this morning, even if you had to endure the treadmill…

Have a great day!! 🙂

12 Dori December 19, 2008 at 11:35 am

Since you don’t want to make the gym investment right now, have you considered something like a mini stepper? It takes up almost no space and you can do it while watching TV at home or whatever. I have been considering getting one (they’re like, $40 on walmart.com) but I live next door to my gym so I haven’t.

13 Tra December 19, 2008 at 1:16 pm

i second your opinion on the treadmill- speed work is easy to do on a treadmill- just set it and move stuff up and down faster or slower. but yeah, i do stare at teh clock counting down seconds. i just revived a passion for running outside despite crazy cold! 6.57 miles okay outside, and i can’t last more than 3.1 miles on the treaddie! or dreadmill. too bad i ran in bad old shoes and my arch hurts..so taking it easier with not too much running. =( how do you stay injury free?