One More Week

by Meghann on December 18, 2008

Can you believe Christmas is only one week from today? Where did the time go?!?!? Wasn’t I just writing about Thanksgiving yesterday?

I have soooo much stuff to do before now and then, luckily I have marked off Saturday to get most of it done. Saturday is going to be my only free day from now until 2009. And by free I mean, I have no plans with any other person. It is still going to be a busy day as I clean, shop, bake and wrap. Ughh.. aren’t the holidays grand? haha

As you might have been able to tell I have been under a teeny bit of stress lately. So what better way to burn off stress then aiming it all towards a killer work out? It really is amazing how much clearer your head becomes when you work off all the tension. I designated today boot camp day. I did my normal 20 minute warm up run, then my Tennis Court Boot Camp.

I asked for some new weights for Christmas that I hope to work into this routine soon. I think I need to step it up a notch with strength training. In fact I’m hoping to make strength training one of my New Year’s resolutions. I put sooo much emphasis on cardio that I sometimes forget how important a balanced work out is and that includes strength training. Any advice on how to make strength training fun? I’m going to be pretty limited on supplies considering I am minus one gym membership. The less equipment involved the better.

I did get a fridge last night, but all of my food was still locked up in my fridge at work. Breakfast involved a bunch of rand things thrown together to keep it interesting.

CIMG4504

I cut up a Pear and a small Apple, then heated it in the microwave with some cinnamon for a minute. I thought it looked like it needed a little something else so I added some Graham Cracker on top at the last minute.

CIMG4505

On the side I toasted an English Muffin with some Cashew Butter and Strawberry Jam.

CIMG4508

I thought I needed something else to go with my breakfast, but I just was not feeling the english muffin so I ended giving a lot of it to Abbie.

Time to work it up before the Holidays! Happy Thursday everyone! Its almost FRIDAY!!! 🙂

1 ksgoodeats December 18, 2008 at 8:39 am

That breakfast looks AMAZING!

I know what you mean about the holidays – I’m busier now that I was while studying for finals! Hang in there girly!

2 Erica December 18, 2008 at 8:50 am

This is such a crazy time! Good luck with all your to dos!

3 jenngirl December 18, 2008 at 9:00 am

Yes, these holidays have been mighty stressful lately, no thanks to the fact that Thanksgiving was crazyyy late this year. It all just got mushed together and came too fast! We’ll make it through though! Good luck with your upcoming busy day.

I wish I had advice on how to make strength training interesting, it bore me to tears though. haha I do it because it does make me feel great and strong though, I think the least boring way to do it is free weights. And those are easy to keep at home and do whenever 🙂

4 caitlin December 18, 2008 at 9:02 am

hahaha dont worry i want to watch it again already!! i watch it like twelve times a holiday season.

5 Andrea [bella eats] December 18, 2008 at 9:05 am

Hi! I don’t know what I did to my blog, but let me know if you can’t read tonight’s post in google reader…I definitely don’t want to discourage my readers, especially when they are related to me! 🙂

One of my new year’s resolutions is going to be to incorporate your boot camp workouts into my routine…I bet they would be so effective! I also want to get more strength training in, I’m totally bored by it too without a gym membership which means I definitely don’t do enough of it!

6 Melissa S. December 18, 2008 at 9:17 am

i know, seriously, on more week? i still have christmas presents to get. ack.

7 tami December 18, 2008 at 9:17 am

i would subscribe to oxygen magazine, or look on their website. i love the magazine. i have some workouts that I did with my trainer that i could email you and you could work some things out with those.

8 Daisy Melo December 18, 2008 at 9:17 am

Hey! LOve the blog. First time commenting. Can I just suggest renting strength training videos FREE from the library or if you have netflix and then doing those at home.

9 sweetandnatural December 18, 2008 at 9:23 am

I’ve been doing the workouts from Self magazine – you know the ones on the cards? They’ve helped me break free of the weight machines and leave me sore!

10 Melissa December 18, 2008 at 9:26 am

My advice with strenth training is to get strength bands! SUPER cheap and SUPER portable!!! If you look up exercises, you can work almost every part of your body!

That’s what I’m starting to use now that I’ve been working out at home instead of going to the gym.

11 Heather Eats Almond Butter December 18, 2008 at 10:27 am

This is a great strength/cardio workout you can do at home using your own body weight. It’s quick, but can really get that heart rate up: http://www.bodybuildersboard.com/intense-cardio-interval-workout-92.html

Good luck getting everything done on Saturday.

12 Kristina December 18, 2008 at 12:01 pm

I do a lot of the workouts from Women’s Health magazine. Self also has some great one’s!

And I know how it is with all the stress coming on now! It should be the opposite, don’t you think? Just think, it’ll all be over soon enough.

13 VeggieGirl December 18, 2008 at 12:11 pm

**I strength-train 4 times per week with my trainer – it’s fun because he mixes up the routines.

Hang in there with the busyness, and get ready to ENJOY Christmas!!! 😀

14 Melissa (MISSY MAINTAINS) December 18, 2008 at 12:58 pm

I know what you mean about strength training! I never have the patience to do it alone. I take a class at the gym twice a week which makes it fun!

I love your apple and pear mix!

15 Bridget December 18, 2008 at 1:04 pm

I completely agree- a hard workout eases some of the holiday stress!
If you get some dumbbells to keep at home, I think you can get a pretty good strength workout in at home. I’ve seen a lot of good at-home workouts in magazines- maybe check out Fitness, Self and Shape websites?