Every Foodie’s Worst Nightmare

by Meghann on December 16, 2008

My fridge died during the night. πŸ™

I woke up this morning and went to grab my water jug out of the fridge to discover it was not my usual icy delight. It took a couple seconds to click in my head that something was wrong and I went on to feel my fridge and found no cold air present. I immediately took all of the meat I had just bought yesterday and moved it to my freezer, which seemed to still be working.

It was not even 6:00 am yet and I had planned to go for a morning run. I decided it was too early to call my landlord so I took off and killed an hour running around the neighborhood. The run didn’t seem to help. The whole time I kept thinking of more and more things that were going bad in my fridge as I ran. I just went grocery shopping the night before so I thought of all of my vegetables wilting away. I thought of my cranberry sauce I had just made last night, all of my yogurts, my eggs, my lunch meat & cheese. In my head everything was already gone and I started to do my normal mini panic attacks because of that.

When I made it back to my apartment I tried to shower and not freak myself out, but I found trying to distract myself only made thinking about it worst. I called my landlord at 7:00 and got her voicemail. I immediately came up with a plan B and went to cleaning out my fridge before anymore damage was done. What I thought was still edible I placed in canvas bags to place in the fridge at work temporarily.

CIMG4459

I threw out most of the dairy and any meat that was left in my fridge. The freezer still seemed to be working ok, so anything that could be frozen I threw up there. Of course after talking to my Dad he told me that the fridge and the freezer run on the same compressor so he doubts that the freezer is still working and that there was just enough ice in there to keep it cold for the time being. So now I am worried about all of my food in there as well.

While cleaning out my fridge I put my lunch and breakfast together, trying to use up as much stuff in the fridge as possible.

CIMG4453

I piled my cereal high this morning with Applesauce, Cranberry Sauce, Blueberries and Blackberries.

On my way to work my landlord finally called me back, which made me feel alot better. I rent from a very sweet young couple who just live down the street so she offered me the use of her fridge and freezer for the time being. Her husband is going to call a repair man for an estimate and then decide if it’s worth the $$ to fix it or buy a new one. She said she will hopefully have an answer for me this afternoon. I’m glad she understands the sooner we get this fixed the better.

Right now I am trying not freak out about my fridge. I felt like a very responsible adult this morning and did not cry once. (I’m a BIG cry baby when things go wrong) Now I’m just trying to decide what I can make for dinner that does not require perishables and will not leave me with left overs. My Dad also has me worried about the things in my freezer at the moment. If anything I will go home at lunch and collect all of the freezer perishables and put them in the freezer at work. I’m sure my co-workers hate me for taking up all the room in the fridge, but it was an emergency!

Let’s cross our fingers, my landlord is as fast as she promised! πŸ™‚

1 caitlin December 16, 2008 at 8:49 am

OMG that sucks!!! good for you for not having a freak out. freaking out doesnt help fix the fridge, after all! i think you made a wise choice by salvaging what you could and putting it in the office fridge.

aww all that food. what a blower!!

2 VeggieGirl December 16, 2008 at 8:51 am

OH NO!!! Hang in there, girl!! I wish that I could do something for ya immediately, to fix the problem πŸ™

3 Erica December 16, 2008 at 8:52 am

ughhhh what a pain! I hope it gets fixed quickly!

4 ttfn300 December 16, 2008 at 8:55 am

oh no πŸ™ the more that’s in the freezer, the better it’ll be, so don’t worry about that too too much. it’ll take a very long time for that to cool down. land lady sounds nice, hopefully she’ll come through for you!!

5 Heather Eats Almond Butter December 16, 2008 at 8:56 am

Do not freak out. You handled the situation very well, and did the best you could. Your landlord sounds like she will get things taken care of, and I’m sure your coworkers will understand. I bet a lot of the things in your freezer will survive. Just breathe – it’s all going to be okay!

6 Ryan December 16, 2008 at 9:02 am

I’m sorry to hear that!! I hope it gets taken care of today so you can keep eating! I’m sure everything in your freezer will be fine. You handled everything very well! Look on the bright side, you might get a new fridge out of it and never have to worry again πŸ™‚

7 ksgoodeats December 16, 2008 at 9:10 am

FINGERS CROSSED! I hope everything works out!!

8 Bridget December 16, 2008 at 9:11 am

Oh no! I definitely would have cried- good for you for being an adult about it πŸ™‚ I’m sure your landlord will get it fixed quickly!

Now it’s too bad you’re not in a colder climate- I could just stick all my stuff outside in the snow right now – it’s 15* πŸ™‚

9 Melissa S. December 16, 2008 at 9:12 am

ah babe, i’m sorry about the fridge! don’t freak out and stay calm like you are…i too am a cry baby when things go wrong but i’ll be strong w/ you from across the country! πŸ˜€

everything will be ok!

10 seecourteat December 16, 2008 at 9:16 am

So sorry! What a terrible thing to wake up to. Hope your day gets brighter!

11 Regan December 16, 2008 at 9:16 am

I’m sorry to hear about that, but your handling it well. I have to keep reminding my self one step at a time. I hope everything gets resolved promptly. πŸ™‚

12 Allie December 16, 2008 at 9:16 am

Of course it happened the day after you go grocery shopping! I hope it gets fixed soon!

13 Erin December 16, 2008 at 9:38 am

That’s SO frustrating! Boo. Pretty resourceful of you to grab what you could salvage and take it to work though!

14 Rose December 16, 2008 at 9:42 am

Oh my goodness! That’s terrible – good luck!

15 sweetandnatural December 16, 2008 at 9:46 am

That’s awful! And right after you stocked up! ARG! I hope you get it fixed soon!

16 Tina December 16, 2008 at 9:56 am

Oh my! Such a bummer about your fridge! I hope your landlord got on it ASAP!

17 B_Healthy December 16, 2008 at 9:57 am

Aw! What a pain in the arse *

at least your LL seems cool… haha get it.. cool…

hmm.. don’t fret.. i bet it happens sooner than you think!

18 Bridget December 16, 2008 at 10:14 am

Oh no!!!! Thats so annoying, esp since you just went grocery shopping…I’d be so mad!!! People at work can suck it up for a day or two. Go buy lots of ice and fill a big cooler. ONE of the few good things about winter up here in Boston is that your back yard automatically becomes an “extra fridge” haha.

19 biz319 December 16, 2008 at 10:23 am

Hate when that happens! If you lived by me, you could just put your food outside your back door!

Fingers crossed you don’t lose too much food! Maybe the landlords will pay for any lost groceries? Worth a shot!

p.s. I added you to my blogroll, hope you don’t mind!

20 Amy December 16, 2008 at 10:25 am

SO sorry about your refridgerator! I would be panicking to the extreme !!! nothing scares me more. like when the power goes out, i start freaking. im sure everything will workout though πŸ™‚

try not to worry too much today πŸ˜€

21 Megan December 16, 2008 at 10:57 am

So sorry about the fridge, and I hope it gets fixed soon!

22 carolinebee December 16, 2008 at 11:04 am

I’m sorry about your fridge disaster! Hopefully, by the freezer staying closed- all that coldness will stay in and keep the stuff cold enough until you can get home for lunch!

23 Andrea [bella eats] December 16, 2008 at 11:44 am

How frustrating! Things like that always happen at the worst time, like right after you stock up on perishables. πŸ™ I hope the repair is quick and painless… You could also get bags of ice to put in the freezer and treat it like a cooler.

24 Sharon December 16, 2008 at 11:45 am

Glad that she did contact you in the end. But I’m really sorry to hear about your fridge! Hope everything turns out!

25 Melissa P. December 16, 2008 at 12:45 pm

This has happened to me before. You need to go buy dry ice from the supermarket and set it in your fridge and freezer. It will keep things cool enough so that they do not go bad. I am surprised your landlord did not tell you to do that…

26 eatingbender December 16, 2008 at 12:52 pm

I’m definitely keeping my fingers crossed for you – I’m sorry to hear that πŸ™

27 sharon December 16, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Hi Meghann,
That is such terrible news! I feel sooooo bad for you. How frustrating to go grocery shopping and stock up on food and then have the refrigerator die! I am glad you have someplace to put all your food and I hope that your landlord solves the problem ASAP!

I know what you mean about crying! I sometimes get like that when I feel overwhelmed and frustrated. Don’t be ashamed to cry- we all have our own ways of dealing with stress. Don’t worry-everything will be okay πŸ™‚

28 runningwithfood December 17, 2008 at 7:40 am

Oh no!!! That IS awful! We’ve got so much crap in our fridge/freezer … I would def. panic!!!

Good luck with everything!