more ยป" />

Always listen to your Daddy

by Meghann on December 16, 2008

Because he is always right!

The freezer officially died with the fridge. ๐Ÿ™ Thanks to all of your wonderful suggestions I went out and bought a bag of ice to keep in the freezer. I hope that keeps it nice and cold in there until they can replace the fridge tomorrow.

Right after work my landlords kept their promise and went out and bought me a shiny brand new fridge! Apparently it’s a KitchenAide and very luxurious. Yippee!! They are delivering it sometime tomorrow. If I have not already stated it I really do have the BEST Landlords in the world! They are SAINTS compared to my last guy.

Dinner was interesting tonight, considering I could not use any ingredients that came from the fridge. I had no desire to dig through my stash of refrigerator goods at work, so I worked with what I already had at home. With what I had on hand, I think I was pretty creative.

CIMG4470.JPG

15 Bean Soup

Ingredients

• 1/2 bag of Dried 15- Bean Mix
  • 1/2 package of Cajun Seasoning that came with mix
  • Onion
  • Kale
  • Sweet Potato, cubed
  • Garlic
  • Salt
  • 1 can Vegetable Broth
  • 2 cans full of water
  1. Heat up a large pot on the stovetop and add the sweet potato, kale, onion, & garlic until sweet potato is soft
  2. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a rapid boil
  3. Keep at a boil for 45 minutes, until beans burst
  4. Bring down to medium heat for another 45 minutes

CIMG4473.JPG

This soup would have been killer with some corn bread, unfortunately I lacked the milk and egg needed to make any ๐Ÿ™ The Whole Wheat Toast was the best I could do.

CIMG4474.JPG

The soup was very good. Its a great southern dish that makes the perfect comfort food. I just hope me two other left over servings survive the night in the freezer/cooler.

Since the freezer was officially dead, you know where my priorities lie. ๐Ÿ™‚

CIMG4476.JPG

That’s right I went for the Peppermint Ice Cream! And since there was so little left I went ahead and finished the container so I wouldn’t have to worry about any going to waste.

CIMG4475.JPG

This afternoon I snacked on a single serving bag of Sour & Cream Baked Lays.

CIMG4467.JPG

There was a bunch of goodies left over from an office meeting yesterday so I grabbed the bag of chips in the moment. I haven’t had chips in a very long time, so I enjoyed the treat.

Right now I am in the middle of watching the Biggest Loser with tears in my eyes. I love all of the inspirational stories and achievement of goals. I can’t wait to see the winner! I’m crossing my fingers for Michelle!

1 VeggieGirl December 16, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Father knows best!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Loooove the soup & ice cream!!

Have a lovely evening!!

2 Megan December 16, 2008 at 9:09 pm

I think you did well coming up with something for dinner. I can’t wait to see your new fridge!

3 Nicole December 16, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Your dinner seems quite delicious!

I am super jealous of your landlords! I always seem to have the worst luck with them. I don’t think I’ve had a decent landlord yet, out of all the apartments I’ve lived in! Booooooo.

4 Cassidy December 16, 2008 at 9:24 pm

lol Im watching it too. But I dont have a favorite because I’ve only watched about the past month.

5 Laura December 16, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Glad they got the new fridge taken care of so quickly!

I want Michelle to win too! Vicky turned me off with her bad attitude early on.

6 carolinebee December 16, 2008 at 9:45 pm

haha, before I read the end of your post- I was thinking, “I wonder if she ate ALL the ice cream!” ๐Ÿ˜€ haha can’t let it go to waste! What seriously amazing landlords you have.

7 Erica December 16, 2008 at 10:00 pm

Hope the fridge gets delivered first thing and everything is saved! That 15 bean soup sounds awesome!

8 Erin December 16, 2008 at 10:11 pm

I’ve heard that show is very powerful. Good for you for polishing off the ice cream!

9 Sharon December 16, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Hahaha, love the ice cream. And glad everything turned out in the end,

10 Amy December 16, 2008 at 10:15 pm

Great job on being resourceful! You’ll have to whip something up something to celebrate your new fridge tomorrow ๐Ÿ™‚ Sounds nice!

Love the ice cream <3

Have a good night girl.

11 Melissa S. December 16, 2008 at 10:18 pm

yep, daddy is always right! when my fridge went dead my dad yelled at me instantly, “don’t open anything! the suction already on the doors will keep everything cold longer than if you keep opening it!” it was better said for the freezer, not so much for the fridge!

hope you get it asap tomorrow! and such great landlords!

12 Marissa December 16, 2008 at 11:18 pm

I had baked lays earlier. They are a nice crunchy salty once in awhile treat!

13 Heather Eats Almond Butter December 16, 2008 at 11:23 pm

So glad you’ll have your new fridge tomorrow. Sounds like a nice one. Also very glad none of that peppermint ice-cream went to waste ๐Ÿ™‚

14 seecourteat December 17, 2008 at 7:12 am

I’m glad you salvaged the peppermint ice cream. I would have had to do the same thing ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Elina December 17, 2008 at 9:02 am

So glad you’re getting a new fridge! I would have brought my stuff to work too ๐Ÿ™‚
That soup looks so good. Kind of like chili. I’m keeping the recipe.
Yay for Michelle winning last night. She looks incredible, didn’t she?!!!!

16 kristin December 17, 2008 at 2:30 pm

AH! MEGHANN!!!! I have been SEARCHING for sour cream and onion baked lays – where did you ge tthose??????? (of course i live like 4,000 miles north of you in Cleveland Ohio)

17 Kaye December 17, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Seeing you scrape the peppermint ice cream down to the last bit reminds me of when I first found peppermint ice cream! It was the same exact one, and I am crazy for peppermint and had to have it!
After I tasted it, I went crazy and decided that I had to STOCKPILE IT!!!!
I came home the very next day with 2 MORE GALLONS and tried to stuff them in the freezer! LOL!
My mom got so mad! BUT… I ate it all in good time!

๐Ÿ˜€