more ยป" />

Lazy Dinner

by Meghann on December 15, 2008

I’m not sure if it’s my metabolism or the amount of food I ate, but the stuffed feeling I had after lunch time disappeared as it always does and around 4:00 when I was suddenly very hungry again. I can never seem to make it from one meal to another without wanting to gnaw my arm off. This is precisely why I work snacks into my daily meal plan. I know some people can survive on only three meals a day, but no matter how full I am I tend to always need a snack to help me make it to the next meal. Does anybody else need snacks to get them through the days?

As I said, around 4:00 I was in need of my snack and happily munched on a Reduced Fat String Cheese and a serving of Kashi Crackers.

CIMG4436.JPG

I had to run to the grocery store after work, so when I got home I was in no mood to cook or be creative. I settled on the Kashi Pizza I picked up on sale at Publix and some Kale Chips.

CIMG4438.JPG

I picked up some Kale this weekend in Amelia Island. I have never been able to find it around here, so I jumped at the chance to buy it when I found it in another city. After a year of watching Kath make and eat Kale Chips, I was dying to try them myself.

CIMG4439.JPG

I followed her directions exactly, but some how I burnt them. I was cooking the pizza in the oven at the same time, so I may have messed up the temp that way. They were still pretty good, just very, very crumbly ๐Ÿ™‚ I still have some Kale left so I might try these again in the near future.

Melissa’s goodies had been staring at me since I got home, so as soon as I finished eating and did the dishes, I Immediately dug into the treats. ๐Ÿ™‚ I started out with a M&M Blondie & a Peanut Butter Strip.

CIMG4445.JPG

Melissa cut all of the sweets into perfectly portioned bite size pieces. I had no problem going back for a third piece. The Lemon Whipper Snapper was just calling my name!

CIMG4448.JPG

OMG this Whipper Snapper was melt in your mouth delicious!!! Thanks again Melissa for all of the wonderful treats! ๐Ÿ™‚

I have been DVRing Christmas movies all week so I am going to heat up some Sugar Cookie Tea and get into the christmas spirit. Ho! Ho! Ho! Ho! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Sharon December 15, 2008 at 7:55 pm

Wow, pizza looks awesome!

2 carolinebee December 15, 2008 at 7:57 pm

AHH those treats look awesome..I LIVE for snack time ๐Ÿ˜€ I usually have a bar in the morning, and same as you- something at like 4 or so….Otherwise I get way too hungry in between! I work at a summer camp every summer- and the kids have morning and afternoon snack, i think it’s really how the day should be structured ๐Ÿ˜€

3 sarah December 15, 2008 at 8:04 pm

i looooooove kale – been buying tons of it all winter. but yeah, it’s super easy to burn, although i like it extra crunch. the key it is to add a little water when they look like they’re getting too brown. if you’re down for even more flavor, this is the simplest and tastiest way to cook it (make sure not to dry the kale after washing it!)

i eat it that way all the time, and even added some spinach and served it for thanksgiving.

4 Amy December 15, 2008 at 8:05 pm

GREAT eats! Snack time is worth it, don’t you think? Its helpful with adding food groups you might not get with every meal and its just plain fun…like youre a kid! better for your metabolism and energy, too.

Kale chips (at least for me) tend to be crumbly and burnt, very crispy. Maybe its just us ๐Ÿ™‚

So jealous of those treats!! MAHH!!! i want some. Enjoy your christmas shows!!

5 Maggie December 15, 2008 at 8:06 pm

I need snacks!

The one time I made kale chips I burned them too. I decided I like to steam it instead and have it with seaweed and some chopped tofu. I got that once at a veggie restaurant and I love recreating it. The dressing is just sesame oil, soy sauce, some sugar, and some toasted sesame seeds. Oh, and rice vinegar. It’s really good.

6 Sammie December 15, 2008 at 8:11 pm

I could never survive on a 3 meal a day diet. I always need snacks and I rather like it that way. I would much rather eat more smaller meals than 3 big ones – too much food in my tummy at one time does not fee good at all.
Enjoy you Sugar Cookie Tea – it is my favorite : )
Oh yeah, I know I am soooo late on this but CONGRATS on the race.

7 Melissa P. December 15, 2008 at 8:14 pm

I am just like you. I literally make my lunch a “snacky lunch” so that I can eat something every couple of hours until dinner. My mom and sister eat lunch at 11:30 and do not snack until dinner at 6:30. I think that they are nuts and they think that I am crazy… It probably has to do with the amount of exercise that you and I do. We just burn through the food.

8 VeggieGirl December 15, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Kale + blondie + PB strip + Whipper Snapper = WOWZA, deliciousness.

9 Erica December 15, 2008 at 8:17 pm

oh my gosh- I totally can’t make it through the day without snacks! I just do better with small meals and snacks! Melissas treats look so good!

10 strongandhealthy December 15, 2008 at 8:19 pm

I am a big time snacker! I can’t do just 3 meals! Glad I’m not the only one!

Enjoy your Christmas movies!

11 Julz December 15, 2008 at 8:22 pm

How much do you ADORE her! Melis is totally one of the most precious Bloggers EVER <3 I just love her!

I’m not a big snacker, but some days I get bit HARD ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Jillian December 15, 2008 at 8:22 pm

I HAVE to snack! 3 meals just doesn’t cut it for me either!

have fun watching holiday movies!

13 Erin December 15, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Totally need to snack – totally, totally. Totes.

14 sweetandnatural December 15, 2008 at 8:38 pm

I’m a snacker! Those treats look delish.

15 ksgoodeats December 15, 2008 at 8:49 pm

I have SO many snacks! I could never do three meals a day!

YAY for Christmas movies!!

16 Melissa S. December 15, 2008 at 9:15 pm

i’m with ya babe; gotta have those snacks or i turn into a raging crazy lady…hahaha…i need my food!

glad you liked the cookies!!! just think of all the baked goods you and caitlin will be getting once i get there! >D

17 Megan December 15, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Enjoy your tea. All those treats from Melissa look amazing!

18 Heather Eats Almond Butter December 15, 2008 at 9:32 pm

I always need a snack between lunch and dinner – ALWAYS. Please try the kale chips again. I burnt my first few batches as well, but when I got them right it, all the effort was so worth it!

19 seecourteat December 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm

I’m a snackin’ kind of gal myself! Yum-o!

20 anna December 15, 2008 at 10:32 pm

I need to snack every 3-4 hours for my blood sugar ๐Ÿ™‚ usually on fruit or veggies, I only eat bread or bars at mornings.

21 Amanda December 15, 2008 at 10:45 pm

That Kashi pizza looks pretty good – what did you think??

I can usually make it through the morning without a snack .. my oatmeal holds me over really well luckily. Since I tend to eat a later dinner (after the gym), I definitely need an afternoon snack! And I like to leave some room for after-dinner sweets! My sweet tooth cannot be ignored … those blondies look TO DIE FOR ๐Ÿ™‚

22 eatingbender December 15, 2008 at 10:52 pm

MUST. HAVE. SNACKS. ๐Ÿ™‚ I don’t know what I’d do without ’em.

23 jenngirl December 15, 2008 at 11:41 pm

I’m in total agreement about the snacks. I reallly enjoy snacks too, I make sure mine are always enjoyable and tasty. i can’t imagine surviving on three lonely meals a day ๐Ÿ˜‰

24 HangryPants December 15, 2008 at 11:58 pm

yeah I usually need an after school snack.

Melissa’s cookies are looking sooo good!

25 sarah (ghost world) December 16, 2008 at 5:23 am

i also seriously do not know how people survive without snacks!

26 Sophia December 16, 2008 at 7:12 am

Kale chips are awesome! Have you tried it sprinkled with parmesan cheese? Or even sugar (or splenda)…

27 Cassidy December 16, 2008 at 9:11 am

I am definitely a snacker. I have to eat small amounts every few hours.
Those treats look delcisious!

28 Sally December 16, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I used to be a snacker but since I stopped eating grains, I haven’t felt the need as much. I eat breakfast at 7, lunch at 1, and then dinner between 7-8.

29 Elina December 17, 2008 at 8:54 am

Sorry it’s a little late, but…

I can’t go without snacks either. Seriously no matter how big the meal is my body needs a snack 3-4 hours later and I get crancky if I don’t eat ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve made those kale chips before and kind of burnt them too. My husband hated them – I’m not “allowed” to make them again. haha