Meghann Meets Treadmill

by Meghann on December 12, 2008

It was cold, wet and windy when I awoke this morning. With this conditions in mind I decided for the second time since moving into my apartment, to use the in house gym. I try to avoid this gym due to its lack of grand equipment, but I figured I could hop on a bike for 20 minutes or so and get a good chapter of my book out of the way.

If you read my blog regularly then you know I always run outside. Now, I have a confession to make, I probably have only run on a treadmill once or twice in my life. Both times were back in sophomore year of college before I started taking running seriously and both times I only actually ran on the treadmill for about 2 minutes at a time before my breathing got heavy and I had to slow back to a walk. Man, I was out of shape back then! As you may have guessed, I know absolutely nothing about treadmills!

The ones at my apartment gym, were old school. Nothing fancy with minimal adjustments to the incline and your ‘speed.’ Now I’m not sure if the speed was just a level adjustment or if it was in mph, but I started out at 5.5 with a light run. I started running for what felt like a while staring at the wall. I tried to ignore the pounding of the treadmill and concentrated on other things as I would in any other run. After what felt like a while I looked down to see how far I had gone… 0.05 miles. Was this thing serious? I could tell at that point why I did not like the treadmill, its boring.

I stared at the numbers as they slowly climbed, adjusting my ‘speed’ from 5.5 to 7 then back to 5.5 every 2 minutes. I moved the incline to level 2 and felt no difference. I was bored and the noisy machine was not helping. How can you guys stand to stay running on a treadmill for so long? I barely lasted to 23 minutes before I decided it was time to get off and ride the bike. I suddenly became very aware of how thankful I am to live in Florida and have year around decent weather to run in. I’m not sure I would have stuck to running if it was solely treadmill based. I truly admire all of you runners out there who survive on a treadmill. Kudos to you!

Despite my apparent lack of effort on the treadmill, I was really sweaty by the time I jumped off. I  proceeded to the squeaky bike and did an easy interval program as I read another chapter of New Moon. It’s getting good! I am finding it hard to put it down at this part in the story. 🙂

After my work out and shower I made a bowl of cereal for breakfast. I realize I’ve had cereal ever morning this week for breakfast, but I can’t help it. It;s too good in the morning. 🙂

CIMG4318

Atleast the contents of my bowl changes every day. For instance this morning I had 1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch, 1/2 Cup Kashi Heart 2 Heart, 2 spoonfuls Applesauce, 1 spoonful of Pumpkin Butter, Blackberries, and Blueberries.

CIMG4316

The pumpkin butter was a new addition to my cereal routine and I have to say I really enjoyed it mixed with the applesauce. Pumpkin & apple really is a great combination.

Alright, time to work, work, work…. It’s FRIDAY!!!! 🙂

1 caitlin December 12, 2008 at 8:33 am

hahahhahah this post cracked me up! the treadmill sucks. honestly, the next time you have to do it, do speed sprints. its the only saving grace on a treadmill.

2 Amy December 12, 2008 at 8:38 am

sorry about the treadmill tragedy! i don’t really like treadmills, either, i feel so claustraphobic? does that make sense? like locked in. running outside is way better 😀

love the cereal! have a good day meg <3

3 Erica December 12, 2008 at 8:42 am

hehe- Yes! Tradmills are boring! But they do save you from yucky weather! The most I’ve ever banked on a treadmill was 5.5 miles. I always feel like I have to constantly convince myself to keep going!

Breakfast looks fab! Happy Friday !!

4 Allie December 12, 2008 at 8:50 am

The treadmill is boring. But living in Central Illinois, sometimes it is my only option! At my gym, it is an open area, with the cardio machines on the top floor and you can look down on the men lifting weights. Also, you can look across into the room where they hold classes. They can look funny if you don’t hear the instuctor or the music! That, with my Ipod, usually lets me get going on the treadmill. Music and people watching!!

5 VeggieGirl December 12, 2008 at 8:51 am

I hate treadmills – I like actually GOING SOMEWHERE when I’m walking/running!! Not standing on a conveyor belt 😀

HAPPY FRIDAY, MEGHANN!!

6 Justy2003 December 12, 2008 at 8:52 am

I had to do my run on Wednesday morning on the treadmill because it was 32* and raining here (in Houston, even!). Like you, I never use the treadmill and that was the longest 3 miles EVER. Yesterday it was 32* but NOT raining, so I decided I’d brave the cold…it was MUCH more enjoyable than the treadmill, that’s for sure!

7 Megan December 12, 2008 at 8:55 am

I love to mix pumpkin or pumpkin butter in my applesauce, add raisins and cinnamon, and heat it up! Great snack!

8 caitlin December 12, 2008 at 8:55 am
9 Meghann December 12, 2008 at 9:02 am

hahaha those are priceless. Too bad there isn’t any of me crossing the finish line, right when I was crossing the cameraman was yelling at a girl to get out of his shot so he missed me. For some reaodn the professional photographers always shoot me at a weird angle. I think I look pudgy in this photo. oh well at least my parents got some good ones. 🙂

10 Michaela December 12, 2008 at 8:57 am

Yes, the treadmill sucks. But it’s better than busting my ass on ice outside. Oh the joys of the midwest. I put a towel over the front of the machine and try to rock out to music as much as possible. Do you remember when P. Diddy was training for a marathon? On an episode of TRL (many years ago) he ran on a treadmill for over an hour..now that is waaaaay too long.

11 Kelly December 12, 2008 at 9:06 am

Hi Meghann! Seriously treadmills are boring. I agree. I’ve found that really good pumping music on the ipod helps and I sometimes act like I’m in a music video or racing the people next to me. I always want to run faster, burn more calories and stay on longer than people on both sides of me. (I also tend to play this game while driving). I don’t know if other people would ever be in there when you are but if you ever get on a treadmill with people next to you then try this. Have a good weekend!

12 Melissa S. December 12, 2008 at 9:11 am

totally with you on the treadmill…i hate having to see those stupid numbers and all the buttons..oh yes, and staring at A WALL!!! hahaha…thank goodness for SoCal and FL weather!

happy friday babe!

13 Krista December 12, 2008 at 9:17 am

I run on my treadmill 4 days a week and it can be a challenge! I always watch TV as a distraction, but that doesn’t always work. It’s darn cold in southern Ontario now and my lungs always hurt when I run in the cold, so I have no choice! Can’t wait for some decent weather so I can get back outside!!

14 Rose December 12, 2008 at 9:20 am

You just explained every run I’ve had for the past several weeks. It’s been colder out, and I’ve had to run on the treadmill… ah, it’s been terrible.

15 Melissa December 12, 2008 at 9:35 am

Cleary, we should all unite and design a treadmill that doesn’t suck. I have to say I did not anticipate how much harder the challenge would be on the treadmill. It is like twice as hard. Next time I will do it in the spring/summer.

16 ksgoodeats December 12, 2008 at 9:51 am

Love your cereal bowl!

I get SO BORED on a treadmill I start to dance while I run – not the safest but hey it gets me through it 🙂

17 sweetandnatural December 12, 2008 at 10:02 am

Treadmills are def. boring. I tried to start a running training program, but’s it’s too cold up north for me to run outside and the treadmill is so not motivating! I’m going to get back to it once the weather starts warming up. I can’t wait to run outside!

18 lauren December 12, 2008 at 10:15 am

treadmills are definitely boring, but when I have to use them – rain and really cold weather – I just try to get lost in a show to get me through.

19 Regan December 12, 2008 at 10:20 am

Haha Meghann, I have been doing the same thing lately! I just started reading the Twilight series and I am addicted of course. So I have been going to the gym at my apartment and running then jumping on the bike to read 🙂 It really makes the time go by too!

This is my first time commenting, but I have been following your blog for quite some time and I love it! You are so creative with your cooking (which I love to do) and you have such a great personality. I go to school in Jacksonville and I had intended on doing the Half marathon that Caitlin ran, but I hadn’t trained well enough for it.

Maybe I will run in to you one of these days at a race! I have just been a little preoccupied with school to travel anywhere or compete.

Well keep up the good work, and I will try to comment more often…especially now that I am on break! At last!

Have a great weekend!

20 Meghann December 12, 2008 at 10:23 am

Thanks for commenting Regan! I will actually be in Amelia Island tonight so really close to where you are! If you ever come to O-town make sure to send Caitlin or I an e-mail. 🙂 We’re running the Gasparilla Half in Tampa in March if you’re interested in that one!

21 Melissa (MISSY MAINTAINS) December 12, 2008 at 10:58 am

I totally agree with you on the treadmill! I tried to run on one last night since it is freezing in New York! I lasted 5 minutes running at 6.0 and forced myself to walk another 20 minutes!

That cereal looks delicious! I have not had blackberries since summer!

22 biz319 December 12, 2008 at 11:04 am

Luckily my work gym has a t.v., so I watch FoodTV while running and the time just zips by. Can’t imagine doing it with no t.v.!

Happy Friday!

23 Ryan December 12, 2008 at 11:05 am

The treadmill is so boring for me too! Unless there’s a sweet TV screen attached so I can catch up on shows while I’m on it (my YMCA back home has them).

24 CB December 12, 2008 at 11:07 am

Well since I am not a great runner, the treadmill is my friend! I must admit that my gym has top of the line equipment and each treadmillhas its own TV. It really helps distract and I never look down at my numbers.

Also, what helps is http://www.itrain.com they have programs for your ipod called itread. It has been great and has forced me to push myself to faster speeds.

I have come to love the treadmill because it seems that every time I take my running outside I get injured…tight calves and then tendinitis. The treadmill has helped me recover those. I still run outside, and living in California I have decent enough weather that I can…

25 sarah December 12, 2008 at 11:10 am

see, i’m the opposite – i just recently got into running outside (it used to give me shin splints), so i’ve been running exclusively on treadmills for years! i think the most i’ve run on one has been about 8 or 9 miles. i do like that you can know your exact pace at any given time, plus you can adjust the incline.

the key is using a good one, because i agree, the crappy ones make the whole thing tedious. i’m lucky that my YMCA has the nicer ones with TV screens attached. actually when i was home over thanksgiving i hit my parents’ gym, where the treadmills not only have TVs, but also ipod charging docks and electric fans!! didn’t mind running on that baby at ALL.

26 gina (fitnessista) December 12, 2008 at 11:50 am

i totally agree about the treadmills- since i started running outside, i feel like i can never go back!
hope you have a great friday!

27 Andrea [bella eats] December 12, 2008 at 12:03 pm

I can’t handle the treadmill either!!! Although with the weather we’ve been having lately I think I would welcome it…but running outside is SO MUCH BETTER! 🙂

28 Elina December 12, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Sounds like your treadmill was extra crappy… the newer ones don’t squeak 🙂 And you can watch tv (well, maybe not at your gym)!! Ok, you got me – I like treadmills 😀
That cereal bowl looks awesome!!

29 Sammie December 12, 2008 at 5:28 pm

You are very lucky to live in Florida. I have to use the treadmill way too much living here in MA. Maybe someday I can move to the south.

30 SallyAnn December 13, 2008 at 12:03 pm

I must admit, I love running on the treadmill. I run on one every day 8-13 miles. I have never tried longer than 13 but I may see if I can last… I guess I just like knowing I can run rain or shine, freezing or steaming hot. I also run really early or late at night and I feel safer inside. However, I must say that the TV or IPOD are needed for distraction! 🙂

31 Dori December 19, 2008 at 11:41 am

Treadmills are so boring. I find the elliptical less boring, although still boring. More tolerable though and easier to get reading done!