Left Over Lunch

by Meghann on December 11, 2008

The worst thing about having such a time constraint lunch is my lack of abilities to be creative in the short period I have. On my way home all of these great possibilities came to my head of fun new ways to spice up the left overs I had waiting for me. Unfortunately all of my fun and creative ways would end up requiring a lot of time and effort I was not able to spare. Bummer.

My left overs were still great even if I did not have the time to make them as fancy as they would have been. 🙂

CIMG4295

I had the left over Spaghetti Squash Pancakes, topped with Black Beans, Fat Free Cheddar Cheese,  Salsa & Non-Fat Plain Yogurt.

CIMG4297

It was basically the same meal I had Tuesday night, with the addition of Black Beans. That extra bit of extra protein kick it up a notch, right?  🙂

For my midmorning snack I had a Peanut Butter Z-Bar

CIMG4294

I eat these every day, you just don’t usually see me doing so. I’ve mentioned it before, but I always have half of a z-bar before I run every morning. I find that’s the best way to hold my hunger over and give me enough fuel to make it until breakfast.

Since I eat them before I run, I usually don’t even think of them as a snack option. However, I felt like a change of pace today and grabbed one on the way out the door. It’s funny after I was done eating it I had the sudden urge to go running. I guess I have trained my body to react that way to the bars…lol

Do you have any foods that trigger certain things in you head? Or do you have certain activities that have you craving certain food? I know a big one that sticks out for me is Guitar Hero. Back when Guitar Hero first came out I was stuck in Gainesville with my brother and we spent seriously 6 hours straight playing Guitar Hero. At one point we took a break and went to The Ale House and got BBQ CHicken Nachos (sooo good ) so now every time I play Guitar Hero I have an odd craving for BBQ Chicken Nachos…lol

1 VeggieGirl December 11, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Deeeelish leftovers!!

2 Ryan December 11, 2008 at 1:46 pm

I love Ale House Chicken Nachos!! They’re perfect to share with a hungry boy too (cheap and tons of food!). Hmm…your creation with spaghetti squash looks so good!

3 sweetandnatural December 11, 2008 at 1:49 pm

American Idol = Ben & Jerry’s. My college roommates and I used to get a pint right before each episode and eat it while we watched!

4 CB December 11, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Ok, I am way over in San Francisco, but I have been to The Ale House in Gainesville…my step daughter goes to UofF…I love nachos and any chips and salty stuff. Next time, I will have to order those!

My trigger food, or my go to food ALWAYS….air-popped popcorn sprinkled with Tabasco and grated parmesan cheese and butter spray. I could eat that every day…and there have been weeks where I have when work was too crazy to think about cooking…oh and when I was single and did not have to worry about feeding my hubby too! 🙂

5 Maggie December 11, 2008 at 1:50 pm

I love zbars! They are an every day thing for me too.

I’m so glad you liked yoga this morning 🙂 If you ever want suggestions for free downloads just ask. I might do a post soon about all of my faves actually.

6 carolinebee December 11, 2008 at 2:06 pm

i think your meal looks yummy and creative! The pancake reminds me of a latke (sp?) or potato pancake thing….i agree with the bar-exercise thing, i always eat them before/after a work out!

7 caitlin December 11, 2008 at 2:12 pm

sitting at my desk makes me want to get cereal. 🙂

do you want to watch elf on saturday???

8 Jillian December 11, 2008 at 2:52 pm

Your lunch looks fab!

I’m jealous that you can go home to eat! I always have to bring my lunch which sometimes makes it difficult to be creative… It is normally just a sammy or leftovers!

9 eatingbender December 11, 2008 at 2:56 pm

I think the leftovers look great! I really like the looks of the spaghetti squash pancakes – I think I would like the squash better when cooked that way.

I typically eat 1/2 a Clif bar every morning before working out, too! Since chocolate brownie is my favorite, it always feels like I’m waking up to eat a brownie. It makes getting out of bed that much easier!

As far as triggers go…watching TV always makes me want a mug of Coffee Cocoa. I just like having something warm to hold in my hand because I am cold so often!

10 Amanda December 11, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Your lunch looks great to me! I am pretty envious that you even get to go home and be semi-creative! My turkey sandwich and salad eaten at my desk are really not glamourous 🙂

It seems that whenever I sit down to relax in front of the tv at night, it triggers me to want a snack (whether I am hungry or not!) Luckily I have recognized this pattern and will either have tea or diet hot chocolate and a healthy snack if I really feel the need to eat. Nighttime snacking has been my biggest food issue!

11 Amy December 11, 2008 at 3:33 pm

I feel the same way about my “lunch break” (not work, but between classes) because I have such a limited time to eat/prepare it. But, you still managed a delicious meal so bravo 😀

Well, watching a movie always makes me crave my family’s homemade kettle popcorn! Movies just aren’t the same without popcorn, no matter what!

12 Elina December 11, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Haha, that’s funny. I think just about everything triggers a chocolate craving for me 😛

13 Megan December 11, 2008 at 4:51 pm

I always like to have coffee when reading books or magazines. I think it is all the coffee I drank when studying in college.

14 bobbi December 11, 2008 at 5:00 pm

if I am having ITALIAN food I ALWAYS CRAVE WINE! and if I am having PIZZA I ALWAYS CRAVE BEAR! and if I am having Mexican food I ALWAYS crave a MARGARITA….do you see a trend here:)

15 ksgoodeats December 11, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Great lookin’ leftovers! PB ZBAR!! My fav 🙂

I can’t think of any food correlations except Christmas = homemade mac and cheese and Thanksgiving = green bean casserole – I have to have those or it’s just NOT the holiday!

16 glidingcalm December 11, 2008 at 7:52 pm

wow! that lunch looks so good! im gunna have to try those squash pancakes! What a wonderful idea Meg!

17 Melissa (MISSY MAINTAINS) December 12, 2008 at 11:16 am

I love Z-Bars too! Especially heated up! The chocolate chip flavor tastes like a homeade chocolate chip cookie!