Christmas Shopping

by Meghann on December 7, 2008

My plans to enjoy the hot tub today never happened. πŸ™

I did however get a chance to stretch out my legs by hitting up the malls with my parents. πŸ™‚

While I was at the Dog Park with Abbie this morning my parents called to let me know they would be in town to do a little shopping and since I have only bought two presents so far I decided to join them. Plus, I knew I would get a free lunch out of it. πŸ™‚ We hit up two separate malls and I was able to at least find my family exchange gift. I guess that makes the trip worth it? I still have no clue what to get my Dad and my Little Brother. My Mom’s gift is still up in the air as well, good thing I still have a couple of more weeks to go.

On the way to meet my parents I snacked on a Kashi Pumpkin Spice Granola Bar.

CIMG4204.JPG

We met up with my Aunt and Uncle for lunch during our first mall stop. We ate at a family style itallian resteraunt located in the mall called Buca Di Peppo. This used to be one of my favorite places to eat. The food is really rich and heavy in garlic. At dinner time they serve great family sized dishes, but at lunch they have indivualy portioned options.

It had been a couple of years since my last visit to Buca and I have to say I was looking at the menu a little differently. The great dishes I used to obsess over now seemed very heavy and nutritionally unsound. All the dishes were pasta, meat, & heavy sauce. No vegetables were mentioned any where on the menu and there were definitely no light options. This made me a little sad as I really was wanting a veggie pizza of sorts.

All of the dishes may have been heavy, but they did have some nice salad options. I ordered the Apple Gorgonzola Salad with Chicken and the dressing on the side.

CIMG4205.JPG

I also had a slice of warm bread on the side.

CIMG4207.JPG

The salad was great but I was a little jealous of the Warm Tomato & Spinach Salad my Mom and Aunt ordered. If I were to go back, I would get that instead. Overall it was a great filling option that left me full, but not as overly stuffed as any of the pasta dishes would have.

We continued to shop and I eventually made my way home. When it was time for dinner I wasn’t starving and too lazy to create anything fancy so I just threw together a quick Flat Out Pizza and some Tomato Bisque Soup.

CIMG4208.JPG

I tried something different with this pizza. At the base I used some defrosted frozen squash then topped it with Alfalfa Sprouts, Mushrooms and Feta Cheese.

CIMG4212.JPG

The meal was interesting, but really good. I dipped the bites of pizza into the Tomato Bisque; the perfect compliment of flavors. Yum. It was quick, easy, and the perfect amount of food.

Dessert was a Snowflake Cupcake with some Fat Free Cool Whip on top.

CIMG4223.JPG

I heated the cupcake up in the microwave until the chocolate pieces were gooey, I then let the cool whip melt on top and dissolve into the cupcake. It was gggoooooddddd. πŸ™‚

Now the weekend is officially over. I can not believe how fast it all went! This has been a great weekend and I am sad to see it go. The only good thing about saying good bye to this one is all the great ones I know that are up ahead. Of course, I’m not sure if any can top the high I had on Saturday, but we’ll see. πŸ™‚

I hope everyone else had a great weekend and are looking forward to another fun filled week in December. Good night!

1 VeggieGirl December 7, 2008 at 8:28 pm

No hot tub = πŸ™

Shopping with family & eating delectably = πŸ˜€

2 Erica December 7, 2008 at 8:34 pm

Yayyy for shopping and lunch! Spending time with the family is the best! Christmas shopping is too stressful! I wish it was easier! Good luck with the rest of the gifts! Have a nice Monday!!

3 sweetandnatural December 7, 2008 at 8:36 pm

Yay for the family day! I’m sad at the ends of weekends too. But the end of this one mean I only have one more left til I go visit the fam!

4 sharon December 7, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Hi Meghann,
Sorry you didn’t get to soak in the hot tub πŸ™ It sounds like you had fun anyway shopping with your family πŸ™‚ I haven’t done ANY Christmas shopping yet!!! I am faced with the dilemma of not knowing what to get anybody so I just keep putting it off! I definitely need to get out there next weekend.

I am familiar with Buca di Beppo. We have them here in Chicago as well. I used to love going there as a treat, but you are right, the food is hardly healthy. Everything is so rich & calorie laden. Isn’t it funny how once upon a time these things didn’t matter to us?!!

I want to thank you for being such an inspiration! I love yours & Cailtin’s blogs sooooo much! After reading all about your half, I have finally signed up for my first half in April!!! I am so excited, but so nervous, too! I hope I can finish. The farthest that I’ve ever run is 12 miles. I know I have it in me, but I’m still so scared. That is why I just kept putting it off! Well, we’ll see what happens….

Have a great night πŸ™‚

5 Meghann December 7, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Sharon – CONGRATS for signing up for you first half!!! I know you can do it and I can’t wait to hear about your journey along the way πŸ™‚

6 Amy December 7, 2008 at 8:56 pm

you had a stellar weekend, girl! im so happy for your running accomplishments. i really look up to you πŸ™‚ nice salad, i make something similar at home! and the pizza combo sounds good !!

aw, anthropologie! yes, it is my favorite πŸ™‚ thanks for thinking of me meg! (do people call you meg, i assume?) have a great night.

7 Ryan December 7, 2008 at 8:58 pm

No way! I just finished eating a flat-out wrap with sprouts (and other things)! Haha, great minds think alike πŸ˜€

Shopping with the family sounds fun! I love shopping in Orlando…everything you could ever want is there!

I’ve only eaten once at Buca di Beppo and it was in Washington, DC. The best thing I tasted was the goat cheese and sun-dried tomato ravioli. It was so so so good. Like you, though, I don’t know if I would make the decision to eat it again based on nutritional value.

8 Megan December 7, 2008 at 9:16 pm

So many good eats, especially your pizza!
I agree that this weekend went too fast!

9 ksgoodeats December 7, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Your flat out pizza looks mighty fine! Good luck finishing up the Christmas shopping!!

10 Jenny December 7, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Oh gosh I need to get on the Christmas shopping, it’s all going by so fast! Glad you were able to find a satisfying option at that restaurant today, those can be hard sometimes.

Have a great night/morning πŸ™‚

11 Rachel December 7, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Your eats look yummy today! I’ve had that same experiences at restaurants before – things I used to love now seem so… overboard. Interesting. And I wonder, if I’m at this point now, what will seem gross to me in another six months or a year? Ice cream?! Perish the thought!

12 Hangry Pants December 7, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Glad you eventually got your pizza!

Heather

13 gina (fitnessista) December 7, 2008 at 10:51 pm

all of your food photos are always so pretty!
we’re twins this weekend- i ran a race (a little one compared to yours) and also got a new laptop πŸ˜€
hope you’re having a great night!

14 Melissa S. December 8, 2008 at 12:07 am

fun shopping with the parents! and bucca…omg i love their margherita pizza…i could eat the whole thing by myself! j/k!

maybe you can hit the hot tub tomorrow…you still might be soar…and it would still be nice .:D

15 strongandhealthy December 8, 2008 at 7:09 am

What a fun day! Your pizza looks great!

16 lauren December 8, 2008 at 10:04 am

you ate ALOT healthier at Buca di Beppo than I did….I blame it on the big group and me not ordering!

17 Rose December 8, 2008 at 2:38 pm

squash as a sauce? very cool idea.

18 Andrea [bella eats] December 10, 2008 at 12:09 pm

mmmmmm…I love Buca di Beppo! But its been soooo long since I’ve been there I would probably have the same issues you had!