more ยป" />

My First Half

by Meghann on December 6, 2008

Thank you guys for being so patient with me this last week. I am VERY happy to say that I am blogging to you from my brand new MacBook!

My parents were gracious enough to help with the purchase of the Mac and call it an early Christmas present (Thanks Mom and Dad!) I am still learning all the ins and out of this thing, but it’s fun to play around with. I am also getting used to the Ecto program on here to blog with, so if the entries looks odd, that’s why.

Due to my lack of laptop, I am a bit behind on my food for the past two days, so I will do a HUGE recap of all of my food in a later post, but for now I want to get to what I know all of you want to hear about, My Half Marathon!

That’s right I made it to the finish line and am here to tell the tale! :)

This race was AMAZING!!! I did not stop to walk the entire race and finished under my goal time with ease! Never in my life could I have thought I would achieve the goal of running a half marathon! I started running in January as a way to lose weight and it has developed into so much more than that. In July I decided to take my running to a whole other level and gave my elf 2 future goals: one was to run a 15k (which I completed back in September!) and the other to run a Half Marathon. 5 months later I have met both of my goals and seriously could not ask to be in better shape.

At the beginning of the week I gave myself the modest goal to have a finish time of 2 hours and 10 minutes.. well.. I am ECSTATIC to say I finished with a time of 2:06:18!!!!! Can you believe it? Because I couldn’t! It was the perfect ending to a great race!

Before I get all teary eyed, let me start back from the beginning… :)

I honestly woke up with butterflies in my belly this morning, I was no nervous! Before the race I had my traditional Wheat Bagel with Cashew Butter and Apple Slices.

CIMG4167.JPG

I had to force myself to eat this. The butterflies were hogging up so much room in my belly that it didn’t seem to have room for anything else. I knew I had to eat or there was no way I could finish the race, so down my throat it went. Most of the extra apple slices you see on the plate went to Abbie.

My parents picked me up from my apartment right before 6:00am and we were at the race site less than 15 minutes later. There were thousands of people already waiting to pick up packets and ChampionChips. By the time I got all of the stuff I needed, I only had 15 minutes to use the potty and, of course, there was a HUGE line.

I love my Dad’s face in this picture… hahaha…And small world, while I was in line I ran into a girl I went to high school with who was also running her first half. I didn’t see her the rest of the race, but I hope she did great!

Luckily because the lines for pick ups were so long there was a delay of start to the race. I had plenty of time to warm myself up and get into the groove.

Finally 15 minutes after the race was supposed to start the whistle blew and we were off.CIMG4177.JPG

• Miles 1-2: Starting off there was a lot of congestion, so it took me a while to find a happy pace. I was thrown off at first when there was no mile marker for the first mile. It felt like the longest mile of my life until I saw the marker for Mile 2, I felt better.
  • Miles 3-4: I could feel a cramp starting in my side, but nothing major. I began breathing quick breaths through the nose and a long one out the mouth as a reader suggested last week. It helped as the cramp subsided.
  • Miles 4-5: The main complaint with this half was the lack of counters at each mile marker. Some mile markers were just there, with no clock or person anywhere near it. This threw off my rhythm as I had no clue where I was at at time. I really, really, really need to invest in an HRM ASAP!
  • Miles 6-7: The half way point! It’s funny, as I was running I kept comparing the distances in my head. As I ran by mile marker 3 I thought of how I would almost be done with a 5k, when I ran by 6 I thought of a 10k and then mile 9 a 15k. All those races seem so short at this point.
  • Miles 8-9: I was circling into Winter Park for the second time at this point. I recognized a brick path and a pond I run by when I do the 10 mile runs with the ORC. I love this route and it’s familiarity, I know where I am in relation to the ending at all times.
  • Miles 10-11: After I hit mile 11 I knew I was in unchartered territory. Until now the longest distance I had ran was 11 miles so every step I made from this point was a new PDR. I was becoming a stronger person with this run and that made me smile.
  • Mile 12: My half was almost over, everyone was cheering that the finish line was just around the corner as we begin to circle the lake at which we started. I could not believe after all this training and hard work I was 1 mile away from making my goal. I told myself to enjoy this moment, to never forget this feeling I had right now. I was finishing a half marathon, how many people could honestly say that? I closed my eyes and took it all in as I stepped up my speed ease past all of my competition.
  • Mile 13: I could see my parents at this point snapping pictures of me, the finish line was in reach, I had made it! A huge grin is plastered across my face that I knew would be goofy in pictures, but I didn’t care. I had done it, I was here and I was finishing. I sprinted to the end using every last ounce of strength in me to carry me through.
  • CIMG4178.JPG
  • Finish: I made it across the line and cheered! A guy removed my chip, I grabbed my medal and found my parents all in a matter of minutes. The race was over, but my head was still swimming with cheers of I DID IT! I was on a high that no drug could ever reproduce and never wanted it to end.

I was famished after the race was completed and needed fuel ASAP! I found bins of Water, Oranges and Bagels and proceeded to PIG OUT!!!

CIMG4180.JPG

Sexy, right?

I can not believe my race is over, all that hard work and now it’s over. I still can’t believe I finished. In less then a year I went from barely being able to run 1 mile to being able to complete 13 miles in just over 2 hours. Does anyone else think that’s insane? This past year has taught me so much and I am thankful for all of the new changes in my life. Thank you guys for believing in me and helping me along my journey. I want to be an example that all of this stuff I am achieving is possible. If you are like I was and don’t think you have any hope of running so many miles, you are wrong! If you have the desire and aspiration you can do anything, even running a half marathon! All it takes is that first step and its all gravy from there. :)

Love you guys!

1 VeggieGirl December 6, 2008 at 4:50 pm

HELL YES for…

- a new MacBook

- amaaaaazing race results/new PDR

- scrumptious pre-race breakfast

- so much progress!!

You did it, girl!! :-D

2 sweetandnatural December 6, 2008 at 4:53 pm

AMAZING Meghann! Congratulations a million times over. You’re such an inspiration!

3 Justy2003 December 6, 2008 at 4:55 pm

CONGRATS!!! What an awesome time…especially for your first half! And for the first time you’ve ever run that distance! I’m so glad to see you met your goal! And I think it’s awesome that in less than a year you went from being a non-runner to being a runner and completing a half. Just goes to show that anyone can do it…you just have to put the work into it! Great job!

PS-I love the big grin you have on your face while running :D

4 inmytummy December 6, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Congratulations!! On both the race and the new macbook. Do you have another race lined up next?

5 sarah December 6, 2008 at 5:06 pm

YAYYY for macbook. i feel like mac is becoming the new standard!

and CONGRATS on a wonderful, smartly-executed race. plus you look gorgeous in the pictures — amazing!

do i sense . . . a marathon in your future? mayyybe? :)

6 Bridget December 6, 2008 at 5:07 pm

CONGRATS on an awesome race and a great time!! I love the picture of you running and smiling at mile 13- what an amazing moment.

Have a great rest of the weekend :)

7 Kath December 6, 2008 at 5:23 pm

CONGRATS!!!!!!

8 bobbi December 6, 2008 at 5:25 pm

WAY TO GO MEGS!!! You did AWESOME! I love all the pics, my favorite is the one with the orange in your mouth! and yeah for the new macbook!

9 runningwithfood December 6, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Congrats Meghann! You are AMAZING! I am so proud of your awesome achievement!!!

Enjoy this “high” – you deserve it! :)

10 sharon December 6, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Yayyyyyyyy!!!! I am SO proud of you!!!! You did AWESOME and have acheived so much in the last 11 months. You are an inspiration to me :-) Congratulations, Meghann! I wish all the best for you with each new mile you run- love ya girl!!

Hooray for the new MacBook!!! I hope you love it every bit as much that I love mine!

Enjoy the rest of your day- you deserve it!!!

11 Melissa S. December 6, 2008 at 5:43 pm

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! AMAZING!!!!

you did such a great job and have some so far since you made your goal to run the race! i’m so proud of you!!!!! way to go!!

and yay for the macbook!!

12 Melissa S. December 6, 2008 at 5:44 pm

oh yeah, i was actually running this morning 7am pst and didn’t know what time you were running but was thinking about you the entire time and totally wanted to call you after to see how you’d done! hahaha!

13 Amanda December 6, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Congratulations Meghann!!!!

I am so glad that your first half went so well … and with such a great finishing time, too! That’s wonderful that your parents were there to cheer you on :)

Have fun with your new computer!!

14 Erica December 6, 2008 at 5:54 pm

oh my gosh! How exciting! Congrats on the time! That is amazinggggggggg! You are an inspiration!

Glad you got the Mac and will be back to more regular blogging!

Congrats again!

15 Alana December 6, 2008 at 5:58 pm

Thats amazing! 2 hours of running…..i dont think I could ever do that. You are amazing. congrats to your huge accomplishment!
And I have a macbook and i love it. Have fun with yours!

16 rae December 6, 2008 at 6:08 pm

CONGRATS!!!!

17 jenngirl December 6, 2008 at 6:14 pm

Congrats!! I’m totally impressed, but knew you’d do great!

And also congrats on getting your computer issues worked out! Have a great night!

18 Andrea December 6, 2008 at 6:27 pm

You freaking rock!

19 strongandhealthy December 6, 2008 at 6:30 pm

Congrats to you! Great run and a new Mac…what an awesome day!!

20 Mel December 6, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Congrats! I love your play by play! :D

21 Allie December 6, 2008 at 6:49 pm

I have been reading for months and just have to congratulate you! You just achieved my goal, the one I am working towards now. Great job!!

22 Maggie December 6, 2008 at 6:58 pm

You are so amazing! What a fantastic achievement, seriously. That is just so incredible :)

And I am soooo happy that you got the Macbook – if you EVER have questions don’t hesitate to ask.

23 carolinebee December 6, 2008 at 7:07 pm

omg happiest post ever!!! Huge congrats to you, and on your new mac baby!

24 Krista December 6, 2008 at 7:17 pm

You did AWESOME Meghann! I loved reading this post because I could feel your excitement flow through blogland! What a GREAT accomplishment! :)

25 Angel December 6, 2008 at 7:18 pm

WooHoo!!! I am so proud of you! Keep making big goals, only the sky is the limit. I love you Cuz!!!

26 Sharon December 6, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Hahah you did awesome!

27 Sara from Chicago December 6, 2008 at 7:25 pm

You’re making me want to run more! =)

Did you get the white macbook?

28 Meghann December 6, 2008 at 7:51 pm

Sara – Yes I did. I caved and went for the cheaper one. :)

29 Julie December 6, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Congrats! You must be on cloud nine!!!

30 ksgoodeats December 6, 2008 at 8:23 pm

CONGRATS MEGHANN!!! YOU OWNED IT!

Love the orange picture :) And woohoo for the new macbook!

31 Katerina December 6, 2008 at 8:41 pm

Congratulations. I hope your high lasts and lasts! I have been thinking about trying for a half next summer, it is so good to see how possible it is. Hard work sure, but possible!

Hope you like the Mac I love mine but I am not sure about Ecto…. I have been trying it but I keep going back to the Blogger web interface.

32 nicci December 6, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Wow, that is so awesome. Your success id so encouraging to us beginner runners. I’ve alwasys been a sprinter and im building up to running long distance. Congrats girl, that is a major GOAL. Yay! on the new Mac also.

33 Andrea December 6, 2008 at 9:14 pm

YAAAAAYYYYY!!!!! Congratulations Meghann!!!!!! I’m so proud of you! I cannot even imagine running a 1/2 marathon at this point, but you are such an INSPIRATION!!!

And yaaayyyyy for the MacBook too! You will LOVE it! :)

34 Sara from Chicago December 6, 2008 at 9:15 pm

yay! I love the white macbook. Good choice!!!

35 Megan December 6, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Amazing! You are awesome! You should be proud of yourself!

36 Missy (Missy Maintains) December 6, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Congrats! It amazed me that anyone can run for that long! I can jog for 15 minutes and feel like I am gonna pass out!! Great Job!!!

37 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) December 6, 2008 at 9:50 pm

Yay! Congrats! And thanks for sharing your inspirational story!

38 Hangry Pants December 6, 2008 at 10:17 pm

I am soooo proud of you. Congratulations!

39 ttfn300 December 6, 2008 at 10:56 pm

love your new macbook :) but more importantly…

CONGRATULATIONS on rocking your first half!! amazing job, so proud!

40 Erin December 6, 2008 at 11:01 pm

THAT’S AMAZING! I’m so proud of you Meghann!

41 Julie December 7, 2008 at 8:51 am

Congratulations!!! Wow – 2 hours of running!! I did my first triathlon June 1 and thought I’d never make it with the 5K at the end! :) Nice job!! You look so athletic, too – that’s so awesome! Also, nice work on the Mac purchase – hope it works out well for you. I know it will, though!

42 biz319 December 7, 2008 at 11:35 am

I knew you would finish with ease! Great job – you should be VERY proud of yourself and that time!

43 eatingbender December 7, 2008 at 1:31 pm

I’m so glad you got a Mac Book – you are gonna love it, my friend!!

CONGRATULATIONS!! I am so so so so happy for you and knew that you would do fabulously. I hope you know just how amazing you are – thank you for sharing your inspiring story with us.

44 Betsy in Pittsburgh December 7, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Hi Meghann,
I have to say I’ve been a lurker for a while but I don’t think I’ve commented. I just wanted to let you know how inspiring your half-marathon story has been for me. I started running last April and did it on and off until this September when I really started to pick it up. I still haven’t run more than 4 miles at a time, but you’ve inspired me to kick it up a notch. Thanks for being so motivated and positive! :) And congratulations!!

Betsy

45 Ryan December 7, 2008 at 2:43 pm

I am SO SO SO excited for you! An amazing race AND a new computer all in one day? Couldn’t ask for more than that!!! Congrats! :D

46 Allison December 7, 2008 at 7:23 pm

CONGRATS MEGHANN! I’m so so so proud of you – and really really happy to hear how proud you are of yourself!

I’m so sorry I wasn’t able to wish you luck before the race (although I knew you didn’t need it) – this week has been bad for me.

Yay for the new laptop as well! :)

47 caitlin December 8, 2008 at 7:41 am

ohmigod i almost bawled just reading this!! I LOVE YOU and CONGRATS!

48 lauren December 8, 2008 at 10:02 am

CONGRATS! great job on the run!!!! and a new Mac – what an awesome weekend!

49 healthy ashley December 9, 2008 at 8:15 am

Amazing! Congratulations on the Run AND the Mac!

50 Sarah December 9, 2008 at 4:44 pm

It is insane to think of what the human body is capable of! Congratulations to you…I did the same thing earlier this year, ran my first half in April after running for the first time ever the previous September. I really enjoyed reading your post, it brought back fun memories for me too :)

51 Anne P December 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm
52 Emma December 7, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Glad you re-posted a link to this recap! I just finished my first half and it’s encouraging to see how far your have come. Definitely gives me confidence that I can do the same. Congrats!