more ยป" />

An Odd Mix

by Meghann on December 4, 2008

My lunch today was definitely one of those weird creations that Iโ€™m sure only those of the blog community could clearly appreciate! ๐Ÿ™‚

CIMG4104

I had left over roasted Brussel Sprouts which I topped with Bulgar Wheat, Tomato Pasta Sauce, & Black beans.

CIMG4107

Sounds like an odd combination, but these flavor melt together so perfectly, its amazing. I actually had my mouth watering thinking of this wonderful creation I was making in my head.

I know if my supervisor thought I was odd for my Orange and Cashew Butter combination then  she would be looking the other way on this one. while I was eating I was thinking of how much I love being a part of a community who will not only not make fun of my foodie ways, but compliment me on it and maybe even try to recreate the dish on their end. Thank you guys for not judging me, but accepting me and all of the weird things I eat along the way. ๐Ÿ™‚

My snack this morning was not as odd as my lunch, but is instead a combination my roommate introduced me to in college.

CIMG4103

Salsa & Kashi Crackers. This is a great alternative to chips & salsa! You still get the salsa with the saltiness and the crunch of the cracker. Yum.

What’s your favorite odd combination of food that people donโ€™t always understand? I know another one that stands out in my head is Butternut Squash, Ham & Pear Pasta I made a month ago. My Dad made a little gagging noise when I told him about it, but I reminded him to not knock it until he tries it. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 caitlin December 4, 2008 at 1:35 pm

im staying firm with black beans and SP – so yummy.

2 Erica December 4, 2008 at 1:37 pm

hahah I always bring weird looking things in for lunch. Usually a giant thing of frozen vegis topped with tomato sauce or a little chile powder. I also have been bringing in those mini eggplant “meat”loaves in frozen on top of vegis. I think my giant bowl of yogurt pumpkin oats and rice krispy type cereal today totally freaked out my office mate.

<3 those brussels! They look so good!

3 sweetandnatural December 4, 2008 at 1:37 pm

I don’t think it’s that odd, but no one I know gets my PB and honey on a spoon. I get a spoonful of PB, drizzle it with honey, eat the top layer, drizzle more honey, eat, etc. YUM!

4 Mel December 4, 2008 at 1:54 pm

Honestly, iyour lunch doesn’t sound that out there.

My oddest food combo is mixing salsa or bbq sauce in boxed mac and cheese. It’s really good! But I have a friend that eats chocolate and bbq sauce together too. That I think is a little odd.

5 Emily December 4, 2008 at 1:54 pm

ok so i dont know if this is really a weird combo, or not, but i have never seen anyone else do it so i always feel like if anyone saw me eating this they would think it was weird. but i ALWAYS put salsa on my sandwiches!! it just makes it so much better.

6 Maggie December 4, 2008 at 1:57 pm

I LOVE this combo!! Definitely looks really good ๐Ÿ™‚

People think a lot of things I eat are weird. I can’t think of something in particular right now… maybe mixing together applesauce and yogurt and other random desserty things.

7 VeggieGirl December 4, 2008 at 2:27 pm

That’s a DELICIOUS mix – not odd ๐Ÿ™‚

**My odd food-pairing = salsa on everything.

8 Blond Duck December 4, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Erica said your blog was fun, and she was right!

9 Tina December 4, 2008 at 3:02 pm

It’s not at all odd! Looks like a Tina meal! ๐Ÿ™‚ YUM!

10 Lindsey December 4, 2008 at 3:15 pm

I made a squash pasta (whole wheat pasta with a sauce made primarily of squash and pumpkin purees) once too, and elicited many weird looks for it. I had to wait for my husband to eat it (he loved it) before I told him what was in it. ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Jen December 4, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Mmm that combo sounds yummy! If i wasn’t allergic to wheat Id make some right now! I might try it with some wild rice once I buy all the ingredients.

12 ksgoodeats December 4, 2008 at 3:41 pm

I’m telling ya – try the salsa with carrots, you’ll be addicted in a snap!

I appreciate your lunch combo, it sounds delish!

13 anna December 4, 2008 at 3:54 pm

for my family and friends everything i eat it’s weird lol
especially my cottage cheese with banana and cinnamon ๐Ÿ™‚ i know it’s normal

14 Rose December 4, 2008 at 4:26 pm

I would totally make a combination like that.

My fav has been black beans, tofu, and spinach. I guess it doesn’t sound as scary as it looked at first.

15 Ryan December 4, 2008 at 4:48 pm

I got some more weird looks today for my naan sandwich and my granola plank. Granola plank? What’s so weird about that? I don’t understand ๐Ÿ™‚ Luckily we all have each other to make ourselves feel normal!

I’ve always liked anything and everything mixed with mashed potatoes (peas, carrots, corn, green beans, etc..). You could probably mix any veggie that I wouldn’t normally eat by itself with mashed potatoes and I’d devour it!

16 Sammie December 4, 2008 at 4:52 pm

I am the Queen of weirdo combinations – this one sounds delish. Have you ever tried peanut butter and cheese??? It is really yummy.

17 Katy December 4, 2008 at 4:55 pm

OMG that is a bowl of goodness … I’m a lurker (from Orlando!) but had to step out of the shadows for this one.

18 coco December 4, 2008 at 5:17 pm

It doesn’t sound weird for me. Veggie+beans+sauce+bulgur, a perfectly normal and yummy combo!!!

my weird combo would be savory oatmeal. Oatmeal with eggs, sauce and cheese for breakfast! ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Cassidy December 4, 2008 at 6:12 pm

One weird combo my sister and I (we are the only ones I have ever met who does this) eat is baked beans and corn mixed up together. It is so good. I will eat them seperately but my sister will not eat baked beans unless they are mixed with corn ๐Ÿ™‚ lol It is actually veryf illing and a great complete protein combo (like rice and beans).

20 Amanda December 4, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Someone cringed at my sweet potato, black beans, cottage cheese combo. I don’t care, it was soso awesome!

If I don’t comment again before this weekend, GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HALF!!!! You are going to have such a blast ๐Ÿ™‚

21 biz319 December 4, 2008 at 11:35 pm

I love anything with sauerkraut, but I am the only one that likes it, so I don’t get it very often.

And tomato soup is my fav! My husband can’t stand it though, and once when I was sick, I asked him if he could heat up a can of Campbell’s tomato soup – I could hear him almost wretching as he was making it!

That’s true love!

22 strongandhealthy December 5, 2008 at 7:36 am

What a yummy lunch! Love the combo!

23 Meghann December 5, 2008 at 9:14 am