Bad Luck All Around

by Meghann on December 2, 2008

Is it OK if I vent for a second? I will post again with a recap of my food, but I just had a really bad day and morning and I just need to use this as my outlet to let off some steam. Thank you for your patience.

I basically sound like a broken record now complaining about my lap top. I mean with the problems I’ve had with my key board, losing my work, wireless card, and over heating, you are probably just as sick of reading it as I am about writing it. Well I think all of those problems were just my laptop’s way of telling me it was slowly dying. Gimpy finally bit the bullet last night and has been able to revive itself since Sunday evening. RIP Gimpy!

Unfortunately I was an idiot and did not look at any of the clues that  Gimpy was dying and never backed up any of my crap. I know I’m an idiot! I should have done it this weekend when it kept having me restart it, because every time I closed it the USB ports stopped working or I should have done it last week when it kept giving me a blue screen when ever I hit any connections the wrong way. I am a BIG idiot! I ignored all the signs and just hoped my laptop would live, but I was wrong and now its going to cost a lot of money to get all of my files off. Files that include all of my digital pictures and wonderful music.

I received my lap top as a gift from my parents when I graduated college a year and a half ago. I begged for one of the most expensive lap tops out there. I had to have the smallest one with the cool tablet feature. I wanted the best, unfortunately the best was crap! I put my whole life on that lap top and now they want to charge me to retrieve my life back because the stupid lap top they sold me lived just long enough to die outside of the warranty!

Take my advice never buy a HP! Every time I brought it in for them to tell me what was wrong with it they always told me the problem was a “defect with HP” You know what? Fuck HP! Sorry, I’m a little pissed at the moment, but wouldn’t you be too if this happened to you?

To make matters worst after I got the bad news and was still in tears, I went to three different bookstores to see if I could find the second Twilight book to distract me. Each bookstore was sold out and one told me the book had an ordering freeze on it because of a reprint. She couldn’t tell me when the next shipment would be in, only that she was sure every book store in Orlando was sold out of it. 🙁 Anyone have a copy I can borrow? I could really, really use it right now. I promise to return it.

I thought this morning would be better, but when I went for my run this morning another form of bad luck hit. At the beginning of my run my IPOD told me my work out had ended. I run with the Nike run calculator, but since I don’t have Nike shoes I always wedge the chip between the top of my foot and my shoe. Somewhere the chip had wiggled itself free and was now lost forever. I searched, but had no luck. I almost stopped my run right then and and there, but instead just cut it shorter then intended and ran a measly 3 miles.

This morning I feel exhausted and as you can tell am not in the best mood. I’m so sorry to just go off like this but I really needed to vent. Please don’t take to heart anything I’ve said, if you read my blog regularly you know I am usually a good person. I promise to be back in a couple of hours back to my normal self, but right now I need to just breathe and have a hot cup of tea to calm me down.

Thank you for reading. I promise I understand that it’s just a lap top and not the end of the world. I realized more then ever last night how thankful I am for my family and friends who gave me their ears in my support. Even Caitlin said she would go Office Space with me on the lap top. I promise to make a video of it for the blog. 🙂 I am also thankful for my health, my job, Abbie, my car, etc… All of the stuff that truly matter is still there. I just need to take a minute and remember that. I will be back as a refreshed perkier Meghann, no more wallowing I promise!

1 chandra December 2, 2008 at 9:05 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your recent run of bad luck. 🙁 And no need to apologize for venting, we all need to do it once in awhile! I hope your day gets better! *BIG HUGS*

2 Erica December 2, 2008 at 9:14 am

I’m so sorry! Computers can be sooooo annoying! I hope your day improves!

3 Kristin December 2, 2008 at 9:22 am

That is the worst! You have every right to vent! If you go Office Space on it, definitely post a video. And send it into HP customer service too.
Oh, for the Twilight books, try the library. There will probably be a wait, but you might still get it earlier rather then when the book is reprinted.

4 Amanda December 2, 2008 at 9:23 am

I HEAR YA on all that bullshit!!! My laptop and ipod died within 2 days of each other, and THEN I lost my cellphone. I promise that everything will clear up soon .. just keep your head up 🙂

I will look into the Twilight book for you. I just got myself a book on Amazon.com used for $5 including shipping, so maybe that is an option?? If nothing else, xmas is around the corner so hopefully your ipod chip can be replaced 🙂

Here’s hoping today is better than yesterday!!!

5 Amanda December 2, 2008 at 9:24 am
6 Rose December 2, 2008 at 9:27 am

Ugh. Computers are so lame sometimes….

7 Kristie December 2, 2008 at 9:35 am

Girl, if you have a bad day you are ALLOWED to vent! We all want to hear about it so we can send some positivity your way!
Sorry to hear about the laptop (AND all of the other slightly more minor but equally as frustrating crap that had to go along with it) and I hope you are able to get your files off, get a new one etc without troubles. I have an HP and now I’m scared… haha.

8 hk December 2, 2008 at 9:40 am

ahhh what craP! FEEL free to vent, I would have already thrown that piece of S out the window!!!

sorry- hope stuff turns up SOON 🙂

9 Meghann December 2, 2008 at 9:41 am

Thank you Amanda! Amazon was actually on my list of things to look into. The sad part was last ngiht when the idea came to me I didn’t have a way to access the internet to check. It all came full circle

10 sweetandnatural December 2, 2008 at 9:43 am

Arg! What a frustrating day! I’m so sorry you’re having to deal with this. My computer crashed during my junior year of college and I lost everything too – including a 10 page research paper that was due the next day! Luckily the prof gave me an extra day, but it was a horrible experience. Hope your day gets better. 🙂

11 Laura December 2, 2008 at 9:44 am

Go ahead and vent! It’s not good to keep all of that emotion bottled up. We all know you are generally a positive person, but sometimes bad things happen. Let it all out!

I hope today is a better day! 🙂

12 Nikole December 2, 2008 at 9:45 am

What a terrible way to start out the week. I lost everything on my work laptop two weeks ago so I understand the frustration but at least that was just two years of work…I would be so upset if I lost all of my pictures. If you don’t decide to buy the book on Amazon I can send you my copy. If it is only $7 including shipping it might be just cheaper to buy it there though.

I hope your day gets better!

13 lauren December 2, 2008 at 9:54 am

no problem for venting! i hope things start looking up for you! and bad things happen in threes – computer, book, running chip – so you are done now!

14 Mel December 2, 2008 at 9:59 am

Go ahead and vent, it’s your blog! 😉 But seriously, it sucks, and hopefully it will all turn around soon! I hope it all gets betterfor you today!

15 Olga December 2, 2008 at 10:11 am

I HEAR you with the laptop business! My parents bought me a laptop when I started college 2 years ago, and it has totally died this year…I lost EVERYTHING, since I didn’t back anything up either, including lengthy assignments I was working on at the time…I feel your pain =[

I hope it gets better and you get your hands on a copy of Twilight soon =]

16 ksgoodeats December 2, 2008 at 10:11 am

Aw – I’m so sorry to hear about everything!! It’s your blog so vent away girly, we’ll keep reading!

I hope your Tuesday is better than Monday 🙁

17 Megan December 2, 2008 at 10:26 am

I am so sorry that all this has been going on and you have a right to feel the way you do! I hope it all gets better from here! HUGS! I can’t wait to see you go Office Space on laptop!

18 bobbi December 2, 2008 at 10:27 am

thats what blogs are for venting and praising! This too shall pass, I know it stinks at the moment, and it’s great that you know that. SO VENT AWAY GIRLY!

19 Ryan December 2, 2008 at 10:44 am

Aw, I’m sorry all of this is happening to you! Stuff like this always seems to happen all at once, huh? Vent all you want…writing always makes me feel better when I’m upset, so I hope it helped you!

P.S. If you are going to replace your laptop, get a Mac. I’ve been using them for 4 years and never had a problem. PLUS…they have automatic back-up so you don’t have to worry about losing your stuff again. Let me know if you need more information 🙂

20 Justy2003 December 2, 2008 at 10:49 am

Sorry you had a bad day 🙁 I’m sure things will start looking up soon! It does help to vent, though!

21 Julie December 2, 2008 at 10:54 am

That stinks!!! I feel your pain. I hate computers and never used to back my stuff up either. My computers always got viruses and it would wipe out my entire hard drive. This year I could tell my computer was getting sick again so I bought an external hard drive so I wouldn’t lose my music and pictures and sure enough, my computer got a million viruses the died the day after I back up everything. It cost a lot of cheese to get it fixed, but I was okay with it because I didn’t lose anything.

I have an ipod chip thingie and a little pod to put it in (you attach it to your laces) if you want it! I don’t use it anymore so let me know!

22 adrianna December 2, 2008 at 11:29 am

dont be silly…we are human! you’re allowed to vent anytime 🙂 i’d be irrate, in tears, on edge, etc, etc. lap tops are freakin expensive! i’m sorry to hear about all these happenings. it’ll be ok, i swear! things have a way or working themselves out one way or another.

and agreed on the mac. *fingers crossed* i’ve had mine for 2.5 years now, and still love it like crazy–no major problems. hp’s doing fuckin suck!

smile, breathe, feel better!!!

23 Lindsey December 2, 2008 at 11:49 am

technology can be awesome, but it sucks when something like that happens. 🙁 I can totally relate though…I had a laptop over the summer (also an HP), fairly new, and it just crashed, no reason at all, no warning signs, nothing. Just would only display a black screen. So I lost everything. Did I mention this was right before my wedding and everything includes everything for the wedding? (Guest list/ addresses, schedules, ceremony program, reception music, etc.). Oh, I was a little stressed lol.

I’m sure it will all work out though! Do you think you could put a new laptop/ laptop fund on a Christmas wish list?

24 Andrea [bella eats] December 2, 2008 at 11:53 am

You poor thing! My laptop died at the end of the school year in May, luckily mere days after submitting my thesis before graduation. I was lost without it! $350 and a new hard drive later I’m back in business, but I know how frustrating it is!!! One piece of advice…get a Mac!!! They are cute too…! 🙂 I hope your day improves…

PS: I’d love the Food Buzz link, I don’t think I have it anymore… Thanks!

25 Meghann December 2, 2008 at 11:56 am

Lindsey – Thats exactly what happened to mine! Its just a blank screen, apparently that’s common in HPs.. grrr.. I would ask for a new one for Christmas but I know my parents wanted to get me a really pricey HRM and they jsut paid for Abbie’s med bills on my behalf. I think I’m just going ts bite the bullet and be a grown up and finance one myself.

26 Sammie December 2, 2008 at 12:05 pm

You are totally allowed to let off some steam – I hope it made you feel better. You are always such a sweetie pie!!! I hope things are starting to get better today.

27 HangryPants December 2, 2008 at 12:18 pm

I encourage a good venting! I am sorry about your laptop. If you get a new one, go with a mac. I love mine. 😀

Also, I do not have the book or I would send it to Orlando right this second!

Hope your day gets better.

Heather

28 jenngirl December 2, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Venting is HEALTHY!! It does no good to stew, glad we could be here for you, I’m sooo sorry about your laptop, that just plain sucks!

I hope your days gets better!!! 🙂

29 Jillian December 2, 2008 at 12:37 pm

So sorry to hear about your laptop! Computer problems are always so frustrating! In college I had a MILLION problems with my Dell laptop so before starting graduate school I decided to invest in a Macbook and I totally recommend it!

Hope everything gets better soon 🙂

30 VeggieGirl December 2, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Hang in there, girl!!

31 Emily December 2, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Sorry to hear how your laptop died! I would be upset also.
I would also recommend getting a mac. Both myself and my partner use them. One is five years old and works like new. We have never had one problem, so we figure the extra expense at the beginning is well worth it.
Good luck with finding the next Twilight book! I am so tempted to start reading that series, I keep hearing so much about it – must be good 🙂

32 Andrea December 2, 2008 at 1:35 pm

I don’t know about the other peeps, but I like this Meghann! Perkiness is overrated 🙂 What’s the point of having a blog if you can’t bitch on it once in a while!
When my laptop died a couple of years ago, I was able to go to compusa and get all the stuff I wanted off my hard drive for only $65 bucks. I don’t know what the exact issue with your computer is, but ask around before somebody makes you spend a lot of $$ for file retrieval when you’re vulnerable 🙂
As much as I would love to see you and Caitlin go Office Space on your laptop, they can be recycled 🙂
Hang in there!

33 landoffruitsandnuts December 2, 2008 at 1:47 pm

I agree with Andrea, you shouldn’t have to be perky all the time, especially when crap like this happens. But I do overall enjoy your perkiness and upbeat attitude, I don’t like depressing blogs all the time, you know? Anyways, I completely understand how depressing, frustration, and sad it is to have a computer die. I agree, HP sucks, espcially must be frustrating that it’s not even 2 years old! I’m sorry Meghann and I hope your day gets better soon!

34 Andrea (Off Her Cork) December 2, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Oh is there anything more annoying than when technology decides to shit the bed? I don’t think so! Seriously I get it and it’s your blog sister, you have every right to say what you want to. 😀 In real life? I swear like a sailor all. day. long. But I don’t on my blog, isn’t that strange? LOL I try to stay positive and upbeat on it but sometimes you just have to let it out.

35 Marga December 2, 2008 at 4:03 pm

Did you have the HP TX 1000?
I had the EXACT same problems and ended up getting a macbook and I love it. FUCK HP!!
Sorry about your data. I hope you can get it back.

36 Meghann December 2, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Marga – that’s exactly I have! Were you able to get all the data off of yours?

37 Melissa S. December 2, 2008 at 10:37 pm

venting is good for the soul…no worries babe! i hope the bad luck stops soon because you’re too great of a girl to be unhappy!!!

38 Marga December 2, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Yeah… I got a screwdriver and started checking everything out – I realized that the one of the memory cards was damaged, so I remove one of them. It runs right now but I am sure that it won’t last long. The wireless card will never work out again – I even tried putting a new wireless card into the laptop and it still won’t work!

After some research, I found out that the model is deffective. Basically, the motherboard is burnt (due to overheating) which makes stuff like the wireless card give out. I wish there was a way we could sue HP and get our money back!! One of my friends had hers give out completely (never found out what happened to it) and had to pay $$ to get her info back.

I think that if you pay $200, some places will be able to get your stuff from your hard drive. That may be something to consider.

Do you know what is wrong with it?

Again, I am really sorry about your laptop. I can feel for you.. this laptop made me feel a lot of pain, especially since I am still in college and thought that I had lost a semester’s worth of notes for a few days!!!

By the way, great blog!!! I have been lurking for a while but never said hi, but I just had to speak up after reading about the HP dilemma.

39 eatingbender December 3, 2008 at 12:09 am

I think that venting is WONDERFUL. I am so sorry to hear about your laptop problem 🙁