Christmas Decorating and Football Extravaganza

by Meghann on November 29, 2008

Today has been packed with fun filled family adventures.

First we started with decorating the house for Christmas. We started today with the inside and tomorrow it time to do the outside (yes, its a two day process!)

CIMG3943

The majority of our attic is filled with Christmas decorations. This is just a portion of what we had to work with it.

I fueled up with some left over Fruit Salad mid morning.

CIMG3944

I have a pretty large house so my Mom likes to put up two Christmas Trees! She’s even debating getting a third one to decorate.  The first tree is the fake tree that is in the family Foyer.

CIMG3953

This is the traditional unfancy tree. It’s the one that houses all the home made ornaments from Christmas’s past.

The Tree in the piano room is the main Tree where all our presents will eventually end up. This is the better tree simply because its our real tree that we traveled all the way to the tree farm to obtain.

CIMG3945

Unfortunately in Florida we can’t just go and chop down a tree so we buy ours from a vendor sponsored by the Boy Scouts.

CIMG3954 CIMG3958

My Mom has a vast collection of Precious Moments and has an ornament for each year her and my Dad have been married. My favorite tradition is lining them all up by the year and adding the newest one to the end.

CIMG3961

There are also our baby ornaments. Each kid personally places their own ornament on the tree every year.

CIMG3968

Finally, my Mom has her Tree Decorations down to a tee. This is the fancy Christmas tree and has a very evident gold theme to it. With the exception of the Precious Moments every ornament on the tree is gold and all of the presents that will go under the tree will be wrapped in gold wrapping paper. It seems a bit picky for a tree, but we always end up with the most beautifully decorated Christmas Trees. Look at the final results.

CIMG3979

Pretty right?

While decorating I got even more in the Holiday spirit when I reheated my plate of Thanksgiving left overs.

CIMG3951

They were still just as great as on Thursday. After the leftovers I was craving something sweet and was sad to find that all of the left over desserts were gone. So, instead of leftovers, I had a small handful of some Smores Trail Mix my Sister had in the cabinet.

CIMG3957

With the Christmas decorating complete is was time for some FOOTBALL. There were many College Rivalry games on today, but the only one I cared about was the FSU V. UF game. My family is distinctly divided between these two school and it always makes for some interesting jousting. As my parents had kids at both schools they had these half & half shirts made a few years ago.

CIMG3959

Its really fun to actually be at the rivalry games with my parents wearing these shirts and hearing all of the comments they get. They try their best to be neutral, but we all know they lean towards UF. Oh well, I still love them.

For the game we had a little get together with some friends and brought out some typical football eats. I got a little into the football spirit and kind of gave into my eating cravings, So just to warn you there are some indulgent overloads ahead.

We started with Veggie, Fruit & Cheese platters.

CIMG3974

I nibbled on these throughout the game.

I also enjoyed a Full Moon beer.

CIMG3975

My Sister’s friend brought her famous Taco Dip.

CIMG3978

I had this small plate, plus a couple of chips more with dip.

CIMG3976

My Dad ordered wings from
a local wingery (apparently that’s not a real word :) ) I am a big fan of wings and when I first started to lose weight they were the first things I eliminated from my diet. However, I was in the football spirit and decided a small meal of wings wasn’t going to kill me. I probably enjoyed a total of 8 wings.

CIMG3977

This was not the best game for us FSU fans.. sigh… so I had soothed my sadness with some Peanut Butter Cup Frozen Yogurt.

CIMG3980

(I just noticed I had wing sauce on my thumb… ooppsss..)

The game is still in the fourth quarter and I hate to say it, but I don’t think we’re going to be able to turn this one wrong. Damn it. Don’t worry Noles, I still love you!

Looking back at my pictures I realized I’ve been a bit indulgent this weekend; just enough to make me feel a little icky. I have enjoyed my eats immensely, but I am very much looking forward to going back to my normal eating schedule tomorrow. Getting back on the healthy track ASAP is the best way to combat out of habit eating practices. A couple of meal chock full of vegetables should clear me right up.

I guess I need to watch the end of this game. Have a Good Night.

1 VeggieGirl November 29, 2008 at 7:07 pm

INCREDIBLE FUN!!! Enjoy the indulgences :-)

Check your email, miss!!

2 biz319 November 29, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Love the tree decorations! I think the precious moments collection is cute!

Glad you had a great day!

3 Erica November 29, 2008 at 7:17 pm

What a WONDERFUL day! The house looks so beautiful! You’re getting me in the mood for some Christmas! Your family just seems so terrific!

4 Justy2003 November 29, 2008 at 7:37 pm

OMG my mom has a ton of Precious Moments, too! And that’s what one of our trees always has on it. Each of us kids gets a new Precious Moments ornament each year , so we have a ton of them! And ours has lots of gold ornaments as well! How weird.

I love your parents’ shirts! So cute!

5 Amy November 29, 2008 at 7:43 pm

I love your christmas decor! We busted out our boxes of decorations today, too. The precious moments tradition is adorable!!
Don’t worry too much about your indulgent weekend…we all are going through the same thing since Thanksgiving and everything. I can’t wait to get on to my normal eating schedule, too! No worries :)
Love ya Meghann! Sorry about your Florida State :(

6 Melissa S. November 29, 2008 at 9:21 pm

omg that tree is gorgeous!!! and i love that your mom has all those precious moments ornaments from each year…my mom’s tradition is to buy us a new ornament every year that has something to do with we love…so i have lots of bird ones and cooking ones…so cute too!

have a wonderful night (even if your team is getting beat!)

7 coco November 29, 2008 at 9:47 pm

you’re having so much fun!!!!!!!!! ^_^ Indulgence is okay for these special days, don’t you think?

8 Megan November 29, 2008 at 9:53 pm

What a fun filled day! Love both trees! They are beautiful!

9 carolinebee November 29, 2008 at 11:28 pm

haha, i can seriously tell the sadness about the game in your post by the end. What a fun day though and your tree (s) are seriously beautiful! Bravo mom!

10 Bridget November 30, 2008 at 12:00 am

What a fun day with your family!! It’s funny to me to see your parents in shorts decorating for Christmas…I’ve lived in the midwest most of my life, no shorts at Christmas for us!!

Hope you enjoyed the rest of the day with your family :)

11 Caroline November 30, 2008 at 12:39 am

Such gorgeous Christmas trees!!
That S’mores trail mix sounds pretty awesome…

12 eatingbender November 30, 2008 at 12:56 am

Wow, look at those beautiful Christmas decorations! I think it’s so cool that you have more than one tree – we’ve never done that in our family, but I’ve always told myself that I will be doing it when I have a house of my own someday!

That taco dip looks awesome!

13 runeatrepeat November 30, 2008 at 1:56 am

Your T-day looked a lot like mine :) I love decorating for Christmas!

14 Hangry Pants November 30, 2008 at 8:13 am

Christmas decorating is such fun! Is the s’more trail mix from target?

15 runningwithfood November 30, 2008 at 8:51 am

Aww … sounds like you are having a fab time with your family!

I love decorating for Christmas … with all the rain we are having here, I have been major lazy and haven’t yet conquered the piles and piles of decorations I’ve dragged out!! :)

16 Meghann November 30, 2008 at 9:05 am

Heahter – Yep its Target!

17 Andrea [bella eats] November 30, 2008 at 11:49 am

Yummmmm….are those wings from Dogs R Us??? Looks like you had a great day! The trees are beautiful…

18 Erin November 30, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Those are beautiful decorations Meghann!
I’m so glad you’re able to say you enjoyed yourself and everything you ate, even if you don’t feel great about it.
I love your family!

19 Alison November 30, 2008 at 4:03 pm

love to see a picture of you and your twin! I also have an identical twin sister.

20 Meghann November 30, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Alison – Here’s a link to a picture of my Twin bro and I http://photos-d.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v289/131/109/5207154/n5207154_44540643_9886.jpg Its amazing how common twins are out there! My mom has an identical twin sis as well!

21 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) December 1, 2008 at 12:23 am