Better to Have Extra Then Not Enough

by Meghann on November 25, 2008

The last time I had plans to leave for the weekend I ran out of fresh food in the middle of the week. This time I didn’t want to make the same mistake so I made sure my fridge was nice and stocked to get me through to departure time. My problem this time was instead of not having enough veggies, I ended up with too many. Which is actually the problem I prefer to have. I took advantage of my plethora of fresh veggies and made a delicious, eclectic salad that cleaned my fridge right out. :)

CIMG3844

In my salad I had

• Spinach
  • Alfalfa Sprouts
  • Tomato
  • Cucumber
  • Apple
  • Turkey Slices
  • Fat Free Cheddar Cheese
  • Oven Roasted Broccoli
  • Oven Roasted Carrot
  • Oven Roasted Asparagus
  • Buffalo Tofu
  • Tomato Chutney Vinaigrette (homemade with equal parts vinegar, tomato chutney & olive oil)

CIMG3848

The salad ended up being humongous and wonderfully filling. It was an interesting mix of cold and hot veggies that I thought was fabulous. The tomato chutney vinaigrette I mixed up gave the salad a nice spice that complimented all of the components perfectly.

CIMG3849

I will remember in the future that its always ok to have extra veggies if I know I am going to be away. The extra veggies just gives me an excuse to be inventive and use all of the veggies in a wonderful meal.

Dessert was an easy choice tonight. I realized I had not enjoyed my Peanut Butter Cup Frozen Yogurt in a while so I had 1/2 a cup with a sprinkle of TJ’s Praline Pecan Granola on top.

CIMG3859

Speaking of frozen goodness. Has anyone seen Edy’s Slow Churned Pumpkin Ice Cream? I have been searching EVERYWHERE for it, but according to the website no store carry it within 50 miles of me, bummer!! If any Edy people are reading this please start stocking it in Orlando ASAP! Thanks!

Can you tell how much I am dying for Pumpkin Ice Cream? :( I wonder if the Brusters next to my parents has the flavor. I guess I will just have find out this weekend. Maybe I’ll make a pit stop tomorrow. :)

I am so sad that the the end of Thanksgiving means the end of all of the wonderful Pumpkin flavors I have been indulging everywhere at the moment. I have really enjoyed it and sad to see it go. At least I can still enjoy pumpkin creations at home, which is why I enjoyed the last of my Pumpkin Cranberry Bread as my snack this afternoon.

CIMG3843

I am thinking about making another version of pumpkin bread for Thanksgiving on Thursday. There are so many great recipes out in the blog world, how can I not try to replicate another one?! :)

Alright I have a lot of packing to do! I am getting different reports from different weather sources on what the temps are going to be this weekend, so I have to be prepared for both freezing and sunny conditions. Isn’t Florida grand? So, my bag is going to be STUFFED for four days away! At least I’m not going too far. :)

Good luck to anyone else who is packing! And for all of you hitting the road tomorrow, be safe!!!

1 VeggieGirl November 25, 2008 at 8:30 pm

Delish salad, dessert, and bread!!

Definitely make more pumpkin bread!!!

Good luck packing!!

2 Melissa November 25, 2008 at 8:31 pm

I just did a fridge clean out too. It’s fun to see what you can come up with. As the world’s biggest ice cream lover, I really felt bad about the long distance edy’s dilemna! Even if it was worth it to drive 100 miles for ice cream, it would never make it back. Maybe Edy will read the post and send you some, they should!

3 Maggie November 25, 2008 at 8:36 pm

Huge filling salads are the best! That one looks incredible. If I lived alone I think I would make a “clean out the fridge” salad every night. I never get tired of them, especially with good dressings.

Have a great night!

4 tiffanie November 25, 2008 at 8:40 pm

we had it here (michigan) not too long ago…but then when i actually went to go BUY IT…nowhere to be found. i was very sad and had to settle on eggnog ice cream (which was delicious with a little cinnamon and fat free redi whip on top!)

5 Erica November 25, 2008 at 8:45 pm

mmmmm that salad looks great! Love all the different vegis! I haven’t been able to find that ice ceram either! Boooo

6 Ryan November 25, 2008 at 8:46 pm

I am going to miss seasonal pumpkin flavors too! I discovered pumpkin flavored frozen yogurt at TCBY last night so that might be worth checking out!

7 Megan November 25, 2008 at 9:08 pm

What an amazing dinner! I have seen that Pumpkin Ice cream at Super Targets. Have you tried there?

8 Mel November 25, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Looks like you and I had the same idea with trying to clean out the fridge! Your salad looks really good though, and the dressing sounds amazing! Was the tomato chutney homemade or did you buy it?

9 Amanda November 25, 2008 at 9:32 pm

I feel ya on the lack of pumpkin ice cream!! I checked that site too and was disappointed by the lack of availability by me too!

Look into Sweet and Natural’s website for an AWESOME pumpkin spice muffin recipe (I’m guessing you could just make it in bread form). It is so so moist, amazing, easy, and healthy!! Thanks Sweet and Natural!! :)

10 Lindsay November 25, 2008 at 10:13 pm

good luck w/ the packing!

i have definitely been searching DESPERATELY for edy’s pumpkin ice cream and haven’t found it ANYWHERE! im glad im not alone!

11 jess November 25, 2008 at 10:29 pm

YUM too many veggies is definitely the preferable problem to have!! What’s the buffalo tofu? Did you make it or buy it. I’m really sorry about the Edy’s pumpkin flavor :( Hopefully they’ll hear your cry before the season ends! My friends and I have actually gotten trader joe’s to recontinue discontinued products through emails and phone calls, so it IS possible. We’ll all write them for ya ;) Haha.

Good luck packing!

12 Hangry Pants November 25, 2008 at 10:31 pm

I love random veggie creations!

Re: pumpkin slow churn – NOOOOOOOO! I have looked for TWO YEARS and have not seen it.

13 Jen November 25, 2008 at 10:33 pm

I found it in Orlando months ago though. I think it was at the Publix on McCulloch (or however you spell that street). It was really yummy with some crushed graham crackers chocolate sprinkles and cool whip!

14 Bridget November 25, 2008 at 10:44 pm

We have the Edy’s slow churn Pumpkin here! (I’m in St Louis.) Not trying to gloat, but it’s amazzzzing!!! If you can find it, you must get it. If I wasn’t moving soon, I would seriously stock my deep-freezer with cartons and cartons of it :)

15 eatingbender November 25, 2008 at 10:55 pm

I have indeed seen (and consumed) that pumpkin ice cream! But only in Arizona. If you are really really really wanting some, perhaps I could send it to you when I go home this week. My early Christmas present to you :) Holla at me if ya want! Haha – I so can’t pull off talking that way, can I?

16 eatingbender November 25, 2008 at 10:56 pm

P.S. You may have to help me figure out how to send it so it doesn’t melt…

17 eatingbender November 25, 2008 at 10:57 pm

P.P.S. Maybe I was silly to think that it’s possible to send ice cream via mail…and now you think I’m a loon!

18 Melissa S. November 25, 2008 at 11:03 pm

that is one veggie packed salad! i’ve realized that it’s great to overstock on veggies cause they freeze well…i don’t like how fruit freeze…so i try not to overstock on those!

and i’m def packing lots for this weekend too! so many different kinds of weather!

19 caitlin November 25, 2008 at 11:17 pm

the rita’s ice cream on goldenrod by my house has PUMPKIN italian ice! i saw it the other day!

20 Jen November 25, 2008 at 11:33 pm

oh have you tried jeremiahs pumpkin pie with vanilla soft severe oh its soooooo good~

21 bobbi November 26, 2008 at 12:14 am

Hey girl I am so with you on the pumpkin icecream, do you have a TCBY near you, I just got some yesterday from there and it was oooo so yummy! Safe travels!

22 Sharon November 26, 2008 at 12:23 am

Everyone loves ice cream! I want a bowl too!

23 gina (fitnessista) November 26, 2008 at 12:48 am

i just saw that ice cream tonight.. have you thought of making some??? i’m sure you could whip up some delicious ice cream :D
that SALAD looks soooooooo good!
enjoy your night!

24 carolinebee November 26, 2008 at 12:49 am

that IS sad…why should pumpkin end with thanksgiving?? I hope you find your ice cream!

25 tami November 26, 2008 at 8:15 am

we have some of that ice cream in our freeze right now!

26 ksgoodeats November 26, 2008 at 8:16 am

What a great dinner! I always make huge salads and people never believe that I’ll eat it all – I some how manage ;)

Love the moist bread!! Sorry to hear you don’t have pumpkin ice cream by you!

27 Tutu November 26, 2008 at 8:56 am

You make some really interesting combos! Sounds delicious! Happy Turkey Day!

28 Erin November 26, 2008 at 9:11 am

We have that ice cream. Jealous?
I know it’s sad that the pumpkin stuff is over, but peppermint is on the way – yummy!

29 Amanda November 26, 2008 at 11:17 am

OMG caitlin you must try the pumpkin ice from ritas … it is actually their cream ice and it is to die forrrr