Bad Cramp

by Meghann on November 25, 2008

Today’s run was less then stellar. Out of no where I got this painful side cramp that forced me to walk the last half mile or so. It was torturous. I kept trying to keep running with the cramp, but it was just too painful. I think I started to run about 4 or 5 times before I just gave up and walked. At least I did not get the cramp in the middle or beginning of the run, that would have been even worst. I still felt like that was the longest half mile of life, I felt so close to the end, yet so far.

While I was struggling through the last half mile a million things were running through my head. This is the first time a cramp this bad came out of no where and forced me to walk the remainder of my run. I kept thinking what happens if I get this cramp on my long run on Thanksgiving? or for my half? I started thinking if I had enough water before my run? or maybe too much water? Enough fuel? Too Much fuel? Did I stretch enough? Did I go too fast?… The list of questions was never ending. I can be a total hypochondriac at times and when I am given the extra time to dwell on those things, my head starts to spin. It’s crazy.

I’m just going to suck it up to a one time thing and move on from there. Luckily the cramp has subsided and I feel better now. I just need to learn not to make a big deal about these things. Are there any other worriers out there?

I won’t give you the final time on my run (honestly I stopped the timer when I started walking, so I don’t even know), but I did manage to complete 5.4 miles this morning. (that’s if you count the 1/2 mile I walked)

The Grapefruit Trees at my parent’s house were ripe for the picking this weekend so I managed to snag one to bring home with me. Look how big these suckers are.

CIMG3829

With the grapefruit as inspiration for breakfast I made a Citrus Cereal combination.

CIMG3831

I had 1/2 of the grapefruit, 1/2 of an orange and 1 cup of Kashi Vive in my bowl. I love how tart grapefruits are. The tartness of the grapefruit and the sweetness of the orange was a perfect combo. A great thing about living in Florida is how great our citrus is, especially with the season swinging full force. There’s basically a citrus tree in everyone’s backyard so it does not get much fresher and sweeter then that.

I have another slow day at work ahead of me. But at least its my last full day of work until the Holiday! Tomorrow I am heading out of town sometime after lunch! Even though my parents are about 45 minutes away, I am still planning on packing a bag and spending the entire Thanksgiving weekend over there. All of my siblings will in town so it should be a great packed house. I can’t even remember the last time all 6 of us were sleeping under the same roof. Maybe June? Either way I am going to cherish every minute of it. :)

1 Allison November 25, 2008 at 8:50 am

Sorry about your cramp! I’m sure it was a 1 time thing where you body just rebelled – everything will be fine on your long run on T-giving as well as with your half marathon!

That’s grapefruit IS HUGE! I would give anything to have a grapefruit tree in my backyard!

Thanks for all your comments lately, they have been super supportive, and also been making me laugh – which I needed! 🙂

2 VeggieGirl November 25, 2008 at 8:51 am

Oh no!!! SO sorry about the cramp 🙁 Hang in there!! I’m a worrier too, so you’re not alone.

That is one big-ass grapefruit you got there!! 😀

Good luck at work, and GET PSYCHED FOR THANKSGIVING!!

3 sweetandnatural November 25, 2008 at 8:55 am

Eek about your cramp – that’s not comfortable! I’m heading out of town tomorrow too and cannot wait!

4 laura November 25, 2008 at 9:03 am

I love citrus! My grandparents live in Brandenton, so when I saw them this past weekend, they gave us a huge bag of oranges. I was one happy girl.

5 Melissa S. November 25, 2008 at 9:08 am

sorry to hear about the cramp! i used to get those all the time in high school, every single time i ran, and we never figured it out, but it eventually went away. i bet it’s nothing to worry about…sometimes it just happens; i had it the other day during my long run! but i was stubborn and ran through it…i even cried. haha.

yay or all the family being together!!! that’s the way mine it…a miracle if we’re all together!

6 ksgoodeats November 25, 2008 at 9:15 am

Holy humongous grapefruit!!

I only used to get cramps when I would start to breath weird (too fast) now I tell myself to slow down my breathing and it usually works.

7 runningwithfood November 25, 2008 at 9:20 am

Sorry about the cramp … that put’s such a damper on a great run!!

Your breakfast bowl looks gorgeous! YUM! Gotta love super fresh fruit! 🙂

Enjoy your day!

8 gina (fitnessista) November 25, 2008 at 10:04 am

happy last full day of work before turkey day!!!
so sorry about the cramp– i hate when things like that get in the way of a good workout!
i’ve actually never tried grapefruit- but that cereal looks delish!
have a great day!

9 eatingbender November 25, 2008 at 10:15 am

You are NOT alone, my friend. My mom’s nickname for me is often “the hypochondriac” – I always think the worst of every little pain! Actually, I’ve felt the same way about running cramps because it seems like the times that I get them are totally a matter of chance. I could have the same pre-run routine and get a huge cramp one day and be fine the next – let me know if you figure out what the key to prevention is, please 🙂

Love that humongous grapefruit!!

10 catms916 November 25, 2008 at 10:17 am

Sorry about the cramp!! I totally freak out about those things when I’m training for a race. I’m sure you’ll be fine on the day of the race though… you’ll have so much adrenaline running through you and will be sure to stretch well – it’ll be great! Have a good day! 🙂

11 rhodeygirltests November 25, 2008 at 10:34 am

WHAT AN AMAZING GRAPEFRUIT!

12 Erica November 25, 2008 at 10:46 am

I’m so sorry about the cramp- that sounds miserable! I am totally a worrier! I can’t help it! Fresh grapefruit=heaven! Talk about organic 😉

13 Erica November 25, 2008 at 11:14 am

thank you for the comment on my blog! You are awesome! I agree endurance is a great challenege and it feels so good to be able to run that far (even if its a little slow 😉

14 Megan November 25, 2008 at 11:21 am

I am so sorry about the cramp. Try not to worry about it!
If you worry too much, the anxiety won’t let your body work to full capacity!

Have a great day!

15 Bridget November 25, 2008 at 12:16 pm

I hate those cramps, sometimes they come on so fast and so painful its like “wtf”! Nothing you can do but walk it off.

I am SO jealous of your citrus trees right at your fingertips! Citrus fruits are my FAVORITE!!! Yum!!!

16 HangryPants November 25, 2008 at 12:25 pm

I am a major worrier! Try to keep track of things like what you eat, drink, when to identify the source of the cramp. 5 miles is still great with a cramp!

17 lauren November 25, 2008 at 12:44 pm

sorry to hear about your cramp. I have gotten those a few times in races and found that breathing IN through my nose and giving a strong, quick breath OUT my mouth works best. Keep repeating this and the cramp should go away. you still did 5 though – so good job!

18 Amy November 25, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Aw Meghann! Sorry to hear about the painful cramp during your run! I worry a lot too, when something like that happens. I know you’ll feel better soon though. Just keep up with how well you take care of yourself. Lovely breakfast too! Have a good day at work, even if itll be slow :\
Seeya!

19 Erin November 25, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Oh no! I’m sorry lady!
I can be a worrier too, but I’m working on it. It actually has gotten better with age, so maybe you have that to look fwd to. 🙂
Take care peanut!

20 Bridget P November 25, 2008 at 1:20 pm

I hate when I get running cramps like that! I’ve never figured out a cause, so I just chalk them up to chance!

21 carolinebee November 25, 2008 at 2:10 pm

ditto on the sorry about the cramp! I over-analyze too when that stuff happens, i think it’s a great idea to just wake up and start fresh!