10 Miles Before 9:00 am

by Meghann on November 23, 2008

I had a fabulous 10 mile run this morning! I was up before the sun rose to meet the Orlando Runners Club at 7:00 am. I know that’s an early hour for a Sunday morning, but its worth it.

The last time I ran with the ORC I had such a fabulous time, I could not wait to run again. Unfortunately my busy schedule has left me absent from the last few runs, but this morning I specifically set time aside to meet up with the group. We started the beautiful early run in a bit of chill, but during the run it warmed up and I shedded a layer half way through. I managed to keep up with the pack at the front of the group that were pacing 9 minute miles. In fact when I got back to my car it was not even 9:00 yet. It was amazing.

We all know I am a big advocate for running partners and this morning pushed my point even further. It was great to chat with everyone along the run and learn new things about this interesting group of runners. No one made me feel like I had to push faster or further then I wanted to and there were several spots along the way where water had been set up in advance in anticipation of hydration stops. It was a great run that has me pumped for my half in two weeks. I felt my body could have easily have got the extra three miles, no problem.

Before my run I decided to try my first ever Cliff Bar.

CIMG3776

That’s right I had never tried a Cliff bar before! I was always afraid of their high calorie counts, but I figured this would be the perfect occasion to test the bar out. It was a very dense bar that tasted great. I felt full after consuming it and it held me over through all ten miles. I would never be able to eat this bar as a snack, but for pre run fuel it did the job.

I was surprisingly not starving when my run was done so I decided to put together a elaborate Sunday morning breakfast. Everything sounded good and before I knew it my plate was packed with lots of yummy goodies. By the time I was done cooking the hunger was evidently there so I happily chowed down and ate every last bite you see here.

CIMG3778

While running I had envisions of sweet potato hasbrowns so I decided to start off with this as the base of my meal.

CIMG3779

I cut up a 1/2 of a small sweet potato, 1/4 of a small onion and some garlic and just cooked it on the stove top for 15 or so minutes, until the sweet potatoes were soft.

Nothing goes better with hashbrowns then some scrambled eggs.

CIMG3783

In the eggs I had some tomato, alfalfa sprouts, spinach and fat free cheddar cheese. I used 1 full egg and the rest of my carton of egg whites.

For my breakfast requirement of fruit I cut up a pear.

CIMG3782

Last but not least I decided to go for broke and toasted a mini bagel with some low sugar strawberry preserves.

CIMG3781

This breakfast was AMAZING!! The perfect post 10 mile run meal.

Sunday is my fun day! I have no specific plans so I am just going to veg for the day, my idea of the perfect fun day. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

1 VeggieGirl November 23, 2008 at 10:36 am

AMAZING RUN AND POST-RUN BREAKFAST!!! πŸ™‚

Enjoy your fun Sunday!!

2 biz319 November 23, 2008 at 10:37 am

Wow, awesome run! And you breakfast looks yummy, never thought about sweet potato hash before!

3 Laura November 23, 2008 at 10:50 am

Sounds like you had an amazing run! What an accomplishment by 9 am! πŸ™‚

4 ksgoodeats November 23, 2008 at 11:02 am

I’ve never tried a clif either! Gorgeous breakfast!!

Have a great Sunday and good job on the run πŸ˜€

5 Melissa S. November 23, 2008 at 11:03 am

dannnnng girl! you’re rockin running 10 miles! i only wish!

great breakfast! have a wonderful day!

6 carolinebee November 23, 2008 at 11:13 am

Ya, just wake up and run 10 miles, no big deal. πŸ˜€ That’s awesome, have a great Sunday!

7 Nellie November 23, 2008 at 11:18 am

Glad you had such a great run this morning! And your breakfast looks so delicious. mmm sweet potato hashbrowns! Enjoy your Sunday Funday!

8 Melissa November 23, 2008 at 11:22 am

You make us look bad Meghann! jk. Great job. Working out with a group makes running so much better. Without Team in Training, I never would have completed or had so much fun marathoning.

9 Justy2003 November 23, 2008 at 11:38 am

Sounds like a great start to your Sunday! Awesome 10-miler! Now you can kick back and relax for the rest of the day πŸ™‚

10 Ryan November 23, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Don’t worry, I’ve never had a Clif bar either!! Sweet potato hashbrowns…YUM! I will have to try those!

11 Maggie November 23, 2008 at 12:36 pm

What a fantastic morning! I’ve never run that far. I hope I can someday!!

12 Kelsey November 23, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I’m so glad your run was a success. I can’t wait to hear all about your race and all those records your going to smash!!!!
Your meal is great too because it’s like the better alternative to the typical American Sunday morning bfast. πŸ˜€
I haven’t tried Clifs either, but I do love Luna and Odwallas with a passion!

13 Erica November 23, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Congrats on the 10 miles! I was a lazy head and stayed in bed until 8:45 haha πŸ™‚ Breakfast looks great- love the variety! Hope you enjoy your day!

14 Lindsay November 23, 2008 at 1:29 pm

awesome run & delicious breakfast! enjoy your sunday!

15 landoffruitsandnuts November 23, 2008 at 2:18 pm

That is quite the accomplishment, especially for a Sunday morning!! Also, quite amazing how many veggies you managed to sneak in your breakfast, it looks yummy!

I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and am officially de-lurking and starting my own blog if you wanna check it out!

Happy Sunday, hope it’s relaxing for you!

16 sweetandnatural November 23, 2008 at 2:21 pm

10 miles – that’s awesome! I’m running 2 today… πŸ™‚

17 caitlin November 23, 2008 at 2:25 pm

hahahah i woke up at 10 am and was laying on the couch thinking “meghann has already run 10 miles today, i hate her!!” LOL

18 Hangry Pants November 23, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Congrats on the 10 mile run. You make it sound great to join a running club! And yay for a nice Sunday breakfast. The eggs look fantastic!

19 eatingbender November 23, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Wow, what a great run! I’m glad you enjoyed the Clif bar – I agree that I can’t eat them as snacks, but they are great workout fuel.

I love your sweet potato hash browns! Such a great idea, and one that I fully intend to try out in the near future πŸ™‚

20 inmytummy November 23, 2008 at 5:01 pm

Did you know anyone in the running club before you went? It has always interested me (running with a club) but I’m shy and never want to go by myself.

21 sharon November 23, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Great job on the 10 miler! You continue to amaze & impress me with your early morning runs. How do you do it? Believe me, I’ve tried, but I always wind up doing my runs in the evenings during the week and late morning or early afternoon on the weekends. You are awesome!

Love the breakfast! Sweet potato hasbrowns sound delicious!

22 seeleelive November 23, 2008 at 6:05 pm

I’m so glad you tried out that clif bar. based on your activity level and other healthy eating, i don’t believe there is a damn thing wrong with eating a clif bar for a snack! i used to think that and sometimes that thought still floods into my head, but i know that if i eat it i will just be less hungry during the day. it is so healthy and full of vitamins–& plus they are absolutely delish. Cheers!

23 bobbi November 23, 2008 at 6:34 pm

way to kick some booty doing ten miles!!!! MAN I dont know how I am going to do it alone on Thurday:( Keep POTM!!!

24 Andrea [bellaeats] November 23, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Great run!!!! I cannot wait to get back up to that kind of mileage! I agree about the Clif bars, I buy them for Brian because he can definitely take the higher calorie count. Thats why I love the Clif Nectar and Z-Bars so much…they stay in the 130-150 range and are so yummy! πŸ™‚