Another Trader Joe Goodie

by Meghann on November 21, 2008

All of my meetings for the week are officially done! Yay! I just have one more next week and then it should be smooth sailing around here until after Thanksgiving! J

After my meeting I had an Apple Spice Kashi Cereal Bar for my midmorning snack.

cimg3715

Lunch today was another fun creation the came to me at work. I really wanted to involve the Trader Joe’s Tomato Chutney that Melissa sent my way….

cimg3716

… so I decided to use it as a pizza sauce.

cimg3718

The chutney was surprisingly spicy and worked great as a pizza sauce. For the crust I used a Whole Wheat Flat Out Wrap and on top of the sauce I added Spinach, Atrichoke Hearts, & Feta Cheese.

On the side I had a Carrot and some Snap Peas.

cimg3720

The whole lunch was great. I really enjoy getting as many fresh veggies as possible into my lunches and this one really did the trick.

cimg37171

Then, of course, after my great healthy lunch I caved and had two more Trader Joe Candy Cane Cookies.

cimg3723

The box was staring at me on the counter, after I grabbed these I put the box high up in the closet to save for future dessert times. These cookies really are great and minty. The funny thing is I really don’t like Oreos. The Oreo filling was never appealing to me so I never ate them; however I do enjoy Oreo pieces in my Ice Cream. J The Candy Cane Trader Joe version of these are pretty much amazing and taste nothing Oreos. Another great pick Melissa!

Is anyone else getting super excited for Thanksgiving next week? I am counting down the hours until I can let loose on the Turkey. This will actually be my first major holiday since my weight loss and I would be lying if I didn’t say a part of me is a little scared to be surrounded by that much food. As a ‘social eater’ I am very bad at standing around the yummy appetizers; just snacking and chatting away. I am trying to set up some holiday boundaries so that will not be the case this year. Do not get me wrong I fully intend to enjoy and consume all of my favorite treats; I am just planning to do that in moderation.

I am actually very excited this year because I am planning on trying to photograph every single thing I put in my mouth for the blog, so it will be interesting to have it all out in front of me on what I have consumed.

Here are some Holiday Boundaries I am setting up for myself:

1. Stay away from the appetizer table!
  2. When I eat from the appetizer table, I will portion food out on a plate and then immediately walk away from the appetizer table. That way I will not mindlessly keep eating.
  3. Alcohol is great on Thanksgiving, but food is better. Only one glass of wine for me please.
  4. Stove bought v. Homemade. That’s going to be a HUGE deciding factor on which appetizers, sides, & desserts I consume. J
  5. Stock up on veggies and go easy on the heavy stuff.
  6. Do not skip breakfast. No need to show up as Starvin Marvin.
  7. Go for a run in the morning. My Half Marathon is the week after Thanksgiving so I have a 10 mile run planned the morning of Thanksgiving. I am thankful my training schedule just happens to fall that way. J

What is your plan for Thanksgiving? Do you look at is as a no holds bar or do you try to moderate yourself?

1 seeleelive November 21, 2008 at 1:42 pm

I can relate to you in the sense that i’m looking forward to turkey day as well! this is one of the first thanksgivings where I will be healthy and have a healthy attitude towards food. i am looking forward to taking all the experiences in through all my 5 senses throughout the day. smell the pumpkin, see the parade, feel the family hugs, taste the homemade cranberry sauce, and ear the joys of laughter from my grandfather. And it helps to KNOW the main focus of the day is being surrounded by family and friends!! The food is just, ya know, a bonus! 😀
the best tip i can give is to eat normally as you would any day!! A good hearty breakfast, a snack in between and depending on when you actually eat the “Feast”, mayeb a light lunch. no deprivation allowed! My nutritionist also told me that feeling so full on thanksgiving is actually part of the experience. my family and i usualy eat around 3, so by 10 or so we are fully digested and sometimes even get our appetites back!!

2 VeggieGirl November 21, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Tomato chutney?!?!?! Yes, please!!!

Good luck with the boundaries!!

3 Maggie November 21, 2008 at 1:48 pm

I am definitely excited for Thanksgiving. I think it might just be me and Bobby so I don’t really have to worry about social eating. I would say make sure there’s a veggie plate on the app table and load up on that 🙂

All those goodies look great!

4 Jen-ucf November 21, 2008 at 1:49 pm

I am so excited for Thanksgiving, as I am the main chef (haha) and I love cooking. And im very excited to go home despite the 6 hour drive. Im most excited to see my doggie! Im going to try to make the meal healthy as possible but still flavorful and yummy of coarse. And I plan to eat everything in moderation. Some sad news though I just found out yesterday Im allergic to dairy, eggs, and gluten! But the doc said I could eat those things if I wanted on Thanksgiving but then steer clear of them after that. Also Im not really a runner but going for a run Thanksgiving morning sounds like a good idea and it would be nice to take a cruise around my neighborhood.

5 Meghann November 21, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Jen! I can’t wait to meet you on Saturday! (I hope this is the right Jen?)

6 sweetandnatural November 21, 2008 at 1:58 pm

I am SO excited for Thanksgiving – I’ve been counting down since Nov. 1st! I’m doing it with the bf’s family for the first time this year, so I’m looking forward to seeing what kinds of traditions they have and what their favorite holiday foods are. His sister already volunteered me to make my pumpkin muffins, so I know those will be on the menu!

7 Jen-ucf November 21, 2008 at 2:06 pm

haha yeah same Jen! Im looking foward to meeting you too and going on a nice bike ride!

8 Mel November 21, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Those candy cane joe’s are amazing. They had them as samples this weekend when I was a Trader Joe’s, and I’m really glad I didn’t buy a box or else I would have eaten them all!

As for Thanksgiving, I actually have two to go to, so it’s going to be interesting. I usually just take a little bit of what I want, and eat slowly. I know it will be a little higher in calories but as long as I don’t stuff myself, it shouldn’t be too bad.

9 Natalie November 21, 2008 at 2:18 pm

We need a few Trader Joe’s in Florida!!

For thanksgiving, I definitely eat what I want but don’t go overboard and stuff myself. It’s only once a year, so you definitely have to enjoy!

10 Allison November 21, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Hi! I have been reading your blog for a few weeks but this is my first time commenting. I am also a recent grad so I feel like your world is similar to mine!

I have a question for you after the “cute waiter” discussion from this morning. When you start a new relationship with a guy, will you continue to photograph every meal/snack, even when you are with that person? I am just asking because it is an unusual habit that most people (especially a guy I would think!) wouldn’t really understand at first. I just got to thinking about it and was curious! Anyone else have any thoughts on that?

11 Meghann November 21, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Hi Allison! That’s a good question and one that Caitlin and I actually were discussing last night. I think we both agreed that it would be kind of weird to photograph the food on the first date, but beyond that I think the guy would have to understand. I mean the blog is a part of who I am and if he thinks I’m too weird for taking pictures of food then I’m to weird for him. 🙂 I usually have no problem breaking out the camera with anyone I’m with and find it a great conversation piece. I love telling new people about my blog and so far no one has had anything negative to say about it.

12 Andrea [bellaeats] November 21, 2008 at 2:43 pm

Yay Thanksgiving!!! I am sooooo excited. Hubby and I are hosting 5 of our friends this year…none of us could get home to see family so we decided to have Thanksgiving together! We’re providing the turkey, stuffing, ‘taters, a BIG pan of roasted veggies and homemade dinner rolls. Everybody else is bringing a side or dessert and a bottle of wine. There will be SO MUCH food, and I’m battling between “go ahead, eat what you want! thanksgiving only comes once a year!” and “be smart. count calories. everything in moderation.” Aaaaahhhhh….what to do!?!? I really appreciate the boundaries you’ve set for yourself, and think I need to come up with my own…

13 Andrea (Off Her Cork) November 21, 2008 at 2:59 pm

I’m definitely running in the morning for sure! And I’ll have breakfast although a light one because I’m going to try and have the turkey dinner ready earlier in the day. We usually eat in the evenings and that is a pain in the butt, so the goal is to be earlier this year! I’m cutting down on portions and trying to make things a little bit healthier.

14 Emily November 21, 2008 at 3:11 pm

your # 6 made me smile 🙂

i just noticed also how your cluster map has grown!

have a good day.

15 Leah November 21, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Just curious, have you ever counted calories? Your meals always look so fresh and balanced.. do you know how many calories you get in per day? How often do you weigh yourself??

Those are great plans that you have for Thanksgiving! I think you’ll do great! Espec’ with that 10 miler the morning of.. wow!

16 Meghann November 21, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Leah – I counted calories for like a week way back in March and hated it. I was so worried about making my calorie account very low that in the end I was not actually eating enough food, and definitely was not balanced. I stopped and instead ate what I saw as balanced meals. I am mindful of how many caloires are in meals, but I don’t let it control my life. I actually felt like when I stopped counting calories that alot of the weight just melted off naturally, rather then me starving my body to force it off. In the end that was just my experience with it, for some people calorie counting works.

17 Meghann November 21, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Oh and Leah, I don’t actually own a scale. The publix I shop at every Sunday has a big scale and I step on it every week to check my weight. It’s like a weekly check up. I think I would go crazy weighing myself everyday if I actually owned a scale. This way I don’t go over board.

18 Alison November 21, 2008 at 3:55 pm

I’m spending Thanksgiving with my family in Vermont. I usually make the entire dinner from start to finish which helps me moderate my eating since I’m not all that hungry by dinner time. Unfortunately we are spending Thanksgiving with some friends and not cooking so I have to be careful to watch how much I consume. I usually begin by setting boundaries for myself but, in the end, I never follow through!! I hate that I do it but….. everything is always so good! Have a great Thanksgiving, don’t be to strict with yourself 😉

19 Leah November 21, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Meghann! Do you find that your weight fluctuates at all or is usually pretty consistent? I weigh myself pretty frequently.. and I find the fluctuations really get to me. Did you find your weight go “up” at all as you were building muscle? I always get confused with the relation between muscle building and weight gain.

Sorry for the questions on a Friday haha.. these are just burning q’s that i’ve been wanting to ask!

20 caitlin November 21, 2008 at 4:18 pm

haha meghann i love that someone else brougtht up the photography on the first date. obviously, you’re not a wacko, nor am i a wacko, but i think we can all agree that most men would think we were weird as shit if we took 5 photos of our entree on the first date LOL

but second date… maybe. 🙂

21 Justy2003 November 21, 2008 at 6:01 pm

My plan for Thanksgiving is to run in the morning and have my normal breakfast, then have a light lunch, then time for the big turkey dinner around 4ish! I plan on enjoying my Thanksgiving and not being too limiting. One day isn’t gonna kill me and Thanksgiving is all about the food, right?! 🙂 That said, I’m gonna try to take it easy and only eat the things I really like.
I don’t think it will be as much of a struggle this year because I’m not going home for Thanksgiving (first one away from home! 🙁 ) so there won’t be as many desserts (my weakness!!!) as I’m used to.

22 Megan November 21, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Yeah for a TJ’s lunch. Looks yummy! I just enjoy myself around the food on Thanksgiving without stressing!

23 Julz November 21, 2008 at 10:31 pm

Ehh, I get really nervous about Thanksgiving… And the week until Thanksgiving is always very nerve racking for me. I love my family, but both my family and my friends are extremely appearance conscious-oriented and the entire deal makes me so nervous :-\ UGGHHH. Normalcy…. I want it! lol

24 bobbi November 22, 2008 at 1:58 am

I too am getting excited, even though I wont be with my parents (which is a first) I think it will be fun to travel (except the cold weather). I am like you, this will be my first TDAY that I have been really watching all the food intake, and living such a healthy lifestyle. I love your tips! I am going to pose a challange for all to post all there miles they run onThanksgiving morning to celebrate together!!! I was going to do a Turkey Trot in Memphis but thats only a 5k and I would love to do a long run, your ten miles have inspired ME!!! I think I will feel great if I run long and then enjoy the yummy food. Keep POTM! O and what is this google reader everyone speaks of?

25 Meghann November 22, 2008 at 8:22 am

Hi Leah, sorry this is delayed I’m having laptop issues 🙁 But the beauty of only weighing myself once a week is I don’t see the flucuation as much, I know if I weighed myself everyday that I’m sure I would see it go up and down each day. I did not really see any difference when I started gaining muscle, but I have not actively tried to gain muscle hard core. I just do strength training casually to keep me toned, but I keep it at that.

26 lauren November 24, 2008 at 1:43 pm

good tips! i wish I would’ve read these before this weekend happened!