Lots of Things to Say

by Meghann on November 19, 2008

I am happy to say my meeting today went fairly well. I was shaky and nervous in the beginning, but once the meeting started going and everyone was asking questions it was great. I felt I was getting my point across and the meeting was serving it purpose. Today was the first in a series of meetings, so now I know what will and will not work in the future. Pretty soon I will be a pro at this whole office job thing. :)

Before my meeting I felt I need a little chocolate courage so I broke into the Halloween candy jar and had a snack size Kit Kat bar.

CIMG3664

And because I need a more substantial snack, I also had this lovely Pear.

CIMG3665

I never had a chance to put together a meal plan this week, so all of my meals have been random creations that come to me at work. Tonight was definitely one of those creations. I was going for simple, yet interesting. I also wanted to experiment with the canned Butternut Squash Puree I had left over from the other night. So I came up with a dish that had layers of different flavors which complimented each other perfectly.

CIMG3667

The bottom layer consisted of the Butternut Squash, crushed Pecans, a pinch of Brown Sugar, a dash of Cinnamon, another dash of Pumpkin Spice, and some Fat Free Milk. Once I combined all the ingredients, I put it in the microwave for a minute and covered the bottom of the plate.

CIMG3671

I’m more of a fan of savory squash rather then sweetening it, however in this situation I thought the sweet squash would pair perfectly with the salmon. I was pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed the butternut squash this way. I still prefer the savory version, but I happily enjoyed this version in tonight’s dinner.

The Salmon was an individual filet serving I found at Whole Foods. I kept it simple and coasted the salmon with some brown sugar and baked it in the oven at 415 for 20 minutes.

CIMG3672

And for the top I wilted some Spinach with Garlic.

The combination of flavors was lovely and I felt so fancy stacking the three separate parts on my plate. This meal was quick and easy to make and tasted as if I had ordered it from a fancy restaurant.  I loved tonight’s meal and would happily recreate it in the future.

For dessert I heated up a small chopped Apple with some Cinnamon and a little bit of Sugar. I topped the Apple with some Graham Cracker pieces and Fat Free Cool Whip.

CIMG3678

Mmmm… it was like a mini apple pie. Boy do I wish Thanksgiving was tomorrow rather then next week. This dessert tempted my pallet and made me realize how much I need Thanksgiving food now!

When I got home from work tonight I had a nice little surprise waiting for me in my mail box.

CIMG3682

Don’t ask me what’s in the package because I don’t even know yet! The lovely Melissa sent the present for both Caitlin and I. She never told us what she was sending! Tomorrow I am meeting Caitlin for dinner and we will open the package together, but right now its sort of just staring at me begging me to peak in. I won’t though! I mean i would, but its taped pretty good so I am pretty sure someone would be able to tell if I tried to break the seal. Does anyone have any guesses what it could be? I’m hoping for something from Trader Joes! Fingers crossed!  I promise to let everyone know in 24 hours! :)

1 VeggieGirl November 19, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Soo glad that the meeting went well!!

Great dinner & dessert!!

**I’m hoping that there’s LARABARS in that package!! :-D

2 Erica November 19, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Owwww what a fun surprise package!

I’m glad your meetng went well! Sounds like it has been a really great day!

3 Andrea [bellaeats] November 19, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Awesome dinner as usual! I’m soooo happy that Abbie is well and at home with you, and that your meeting went well! :)

4 Megan November 19, 2008 at 9:15 pm

I can’t wait to see what is in the package!!!

Your dinner creation looks amazing! YUM!

Glad the meeting went well!

5 Bridget P November 19, 2008 at 9:20 pm

Your dinner looks so delicious!!

6 carolinebee November 19, 2008 at 9:25 pm

Glad to hear about your meeting, I’ve been working on my bloggy ALL day! haha so fun, I’m testing out my commenting to see if my name links to my page?

7 jenngirl November 19, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Glad the meeting went well! Dinner looks good, I had a wonderful salmon fillet last night, it’s the best!

Ooo suprises are fun! I bet she sent you something veryyy unique ;)

8 ttfn300 November 19, 2008 at 9:39 pm

haha, trail mix??

dinner looks fantastic!! i wish i could pull things together when not planned instead of eating half my apartment…

9 Angela November 19, 2008 at 9:53 pm

Your dessert looks amazing! I thought the cool whip was ice cream, but it still looks soo good! :-)

10 Melissa S. November 19, 2008 at 10:13 pm

yay yayayyayayayayyayayyayayayyayya!!!!!!!!

I’m so glad it finally got there!!!! I was starting to get worried and thinking someone stole all those goodies!!!!

I can’t wait to see what you both think tomorrow!!!!!

Yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 Lyss November 19, 2008 at 10:49 pm

YUM that dinner looks soooo good! I love salmon but my fiance hates it, so I barely EVER get to make it!

I think inside your box is…. an oversized pineapple! oooh pineapple, I should eat some…

12 Amy November 19, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Congrats on a job well done at work today! I think it sounds exciting to lead a meeting. Glad you did well.
The salmon dish looks ah-may-zing. I love salmon, and this looks straight out of a fancy restaurant’s menu! Lovely.
Beautiful dessert too! I love creating mini-”healthy”-desserts that replicate more decadent ones, which is what you did, too. Yum :D
Have a great night Meghann !

13 WannaBe Healthy November 19, 2008 at 11:50 pm

So glad your meeting went well! I love your food pictures (that pear looks delicious).

14 eatingbender November 19, 2008 at 11:59 pm

Congrats on the work meeting!! I’m glad to hear that it went well.

You have the BEST dinner creations! It looks like something I could find at a restaurant. As did last night’s BSI creation. Wow!

Melissa is awesome! I can’t wait to see what she send you and Caitlin :)

15 jess November 20, 2008 at 12:18 am

Hey, people Showed Up to the meeting- that’s step 1 ;) Sounds like you did a great job.

16 bobbi November 20, 2008 at 12:19 am

yummy dinner:) I am so glad Abby was ok, I am like you if Bosco is sick I rush him to the VET asap!!! I too dont know what I will do when I have kids…lol…cant wait to see whats in the box!

17 runningwithfood November 20, 2008 at 7:05 am

So glad your meeting went well!

Your dinner is absolutely gorgeous!! Such a great combo!!

Can’t wait to hear what’s in the box …

Have a super day!

18 caitlin November 20, 2008 at 8:16 am

dinner looks fab! got your mesage at 10:30 last night and thought it was too late to text/call you… but yes, wait for me to open i! :)

19 lauren November 20, 2008 at 11:56 am

glad the meeting went well! Your dinner looks really fancy and delicious.

20 catms916 November 20, 2008 at 2:21 pm

You have way better willpower than me. If I were you Caitlin would find a box covered in making tape from my attempt to reseal the package that I already opened.

That salmon looks so fantastic! I love it!

21 Maureen November 20, 2008 at 6:09 pm

OMG, I had almost the same dinner last night. I used fresh squash, cooked, then pureed it with a hint of Smart Balance, and some brown sugar. Divine! Then my salmon on top had a sweet-wasabi sauce that went terrific with the squash. I like how you put the spinach on top. I had arugula, but in a salad, not on the salmon. Next time, I will add it on top.