Crazy Busy

by Meghann on November 18, 2008

I apologize for not having a breakfast post; it has been a crazy busy morning. All the craziness started last night when Abbie got very sick. It was to the point where I was on the phone with the Vet’s after hours phone line in tears trying to figure out if I should bring her in or not. Luckily she started to improve and they told me there was no emergency. Of course that didn’t stop me from waking up periodically throughout the night to check on her and make sure she was ok.

cimg3622

Abbie seemed like her usual self when I woke up this morning, but she had developed another symptom that disturbed me (I will not go into details), so I immediately called the Vet and brought her in first thing this morning. She is still at their office under observation and I have been assured she will be fine.

I was a very concerned Mommy last night and this morning, I don’t know how I am going to survive when I have kids and they get sick. It was complete and utter torture to watch her in pain and wanting to do everything possible to make sure she’s ok. A huge weight was lifted off my shoulders when I realized Abbie was going to be fine.

Before I went to the Vet I managed to have a quick cereal breakfast.

cimg3623

In my bowl I had the rest of my Canned Pear I opened for dinner last night, 4 Blackberries, ½ cup of Quaker Oatmeal Squares, and ¾ cup of Kashi Honey Sunshine. Even though I ate this in a rush, I thoroughly enjoyed the canned pear in my breakfast. I will need to purchase more of that in the future since my fresh fruit options are limited in the current season.

Due to the impromptu Vet visit I was late to work and was immediately rushed to a photo session for our upcoming newsletters. The photo shoot kept my schedule jammed pack until lunch, when I finally was given a break to eat and actually go about my normal day.

I did manage to run to my desk for a quick snack of Almonds at one point.

cimg3625

When I knew I was going to be bringing Abbie to the Vet I decided to pack a quick lunch to have at the office. I packed a Mint Green Tea, a Veggie Wrap, Grapes, Carrots & PB.

cimg3626

I love Kath’s Foiled Wrap Method, it works so well. In my wrap I had Plain Yogurt, Sprouts, Spinach, Tomato, & Cucumber.

cimg3628

I felt I deserved some chocolate after my Night/ Morning so I dug into my chocolate stash and had this Dark Chocolate Snickers.

cimg3631

It was definitely the chocolate fix I needed. J

—-

I went immediately to work as soon as I walked into the office this morning and did not even have time to turn my computer on. When I did have a chance to turn my computer on an hour or so later I had a few concerned messages in my e-mail from Caitlin wondering where I was, I then checked my cell and saw a missed call, voicemail and text from her as well as a matching voicemail on my work phone. Apparently she was a little worried where I had disappeared to.

I had mentioned I would be going for a run this morning on last night’s blog post and when I was unreachable this morning, Caitlin was concerned that something had gone wrong. I immediately called her and assured her that I was indeed alive and everything was ok. It did get me thinking though…

Since I live by myself and run early in the morning, there is always the thought in the back of my head that if something were to happen, how long would it take for anyone to know that I was missing? I run with pepper spray and am very aware of my surroundings, but there is always that risk of something happening. When Caitlin showed her concern this morning I realized how thankful I was for her and our friendship, she knows I run in the mornings and she knew something was up. I am glad she left all of those messages, even signing my Sister’s Facebook wall, it shows me that if something does happen that there is someone out there who will notice right away. Thank you Caitlin!

To take even further precautions I let my Supervisor know that I do run in the mornings and in the event that I am a no show at work and unreachable by phone to please call someone and let them know something is up. I hope all of my fellow early morning or night runners out there are taking the same precautions. It is a scary world out there, this does not mean we should stop doing the things we love, we just need to have plans set out in case something goes wrong.

Now that I have done my little PSA about Safety Precautions, I want to know some safety measures you have set out for running? Do you carry Pepper Spray or let someone know when you are heading out for a run? Please share, I would love to see some great advice.

1 caitlin November 18, 2008 at 1:13 pm

aaaaaaaaw i love you! i was really starting to worry about you!!! i had scary visions of you being murdered and everything!!

2 Erica November 18, 2008 at 1:14 pm

that is so cute about caitlin! What a good friend! I am so sorry about your doggie! I am the SAME way with Frank! I hope Abbie feels much better! Keep us up to date!

3 caitlin November 18, 2008 at 1:16 pm

oh and your work voicemail is really nice 🙂 and professional!

4 lauren November 18, 2008 at 1:18 pm

so sorry your dog was/is sick – I would be the same exact way – I hope everything is OK! what a good friend caitlin is! I also try to tell someone when i am going running alone – in case something were to happen…

5 sweetandnatural November 18, 2008 at 1:22 pm

I’m so sorry about Abbie – how awful! But what a great friend you have in Caitlin! That was very smart of you to tell your supervisor about your morning runs!

6 caitlin November 18, 2008 at 1:23 pm

no, i went onto facebook, remembered the name of the company, googled it, talked to the operator, and got connected to your voicemail. i couldnt find your card!

7 VeggieGirl November 18, 2008 at 1:27 pm

I’m praying for Abbie (and you)!!!!

Hooray for Caitlin’s generosity!!

8 Mel November 18, 2008 at 1:31 pm

I really hope that Abbie is okay! I would be totally freaking out too if that was me!

Yay for good friends, I’ve often thought about that too. Thank you for some of your ideas!

9 Sammie November 18, 2008 at 1:31 pm

I am sorry your little baby is sick – I hope she feels better soon. You are very lucky to have such a wonderful friend. I read her blog and she seems like a sweetheart. If I go out for an early run, I always have my cell phone with me – one can never be to careful. It sounds like you have really done a great job at protecting yourself.

10 Eric Lee November 18, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Where did you get your blog layout from? I’d like to get one like it for my blog.

11 Maggie November 18, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Poor poor Abbie 🙁 So glad to hear she’s going to be okay.

Wow, Caitlin is so caring. I guess I kind of take Bobby for granted because when I run in the morning I don’t take pepper spray or anything and if I didn’t get back he would know pretty quickly. I probably should take pepper spray even though I don’t live in a bad area.

Have a good Tuesday!

12 ksgoodeats November 18, 2008 at 1:35 pm

I’m wishing Abbie a SPEEDY recovery! Last time my dog went to the vet, I cried – we’re just concerned puppy parents.

How nice of Caitlin to check up on you, that’s so sweet of her!

13 jenngirl November 18, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Hope your puppy is better soon!

Good call on the running safety precautions, that is definitely something we should all think about. Also, there’s yet another cool reason to have a blog with such loyal and caring readers! 🙂

14 Amanda November 18, 2008 at 2:01 pm

Wow, I guess that I am really too trusting of people … I live by myself and even though my boyfriend lives a mile away, I sometimes don’t tell him my plans to run in the morning until after I’ve completed it! I also really only bring my apartment keys and my ipod. I am going to look into pepper spray, and maybe consider bringing my cell phone. Thanks for making me realize that I’m being pretty naive.

15 Cara November 18, 2008 at 2:19 pm

I know exactly what you mean! My pups get sick all the time and i freak out all the time about it.

I hope your pup gets better soon!

16 sharon November 18, 2008 at 2:20 pm

There you are! We really did miss you …
Glad you are okay and that Abbie will be, too! You are such a GOOD mommy!

Caitlin is awesome! I am so glad you guys are friends and look out after each other. You guys are the best 🙂

I am also glad to hear you mentioned your running habits to your boss/coworkers. That is such a smart idea, especially since you live alone. I always let my husband know my running plans in case something were to happen to me, too.

Have a great day, Meghann and I am so glad to hear that both you and Maggie are ok!!

17 sharon November 18, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Sorry….I meant Abbie!

18 Cindy November 18, 2008 at 2:49 pm

I have a running id tag that I have on my sneaker. It has your name and an in case of emergency number. I got mine at roadid.com

19 Aimee November 18, 2008 at 2:59 pm

I hope your pup is doing better. My husband and I are crazy about our dog, and we always say “what will we do with kids, if this is how we treat our puppy!”

That is so nice that Caitlin was watching out for you. I often ran at nights in law school, but I didn’t really take good precautions. My mom gave me pepper spray, but I never carried it, because I figured you would have to have it open and ready to aim for it to come in handy. How do you carry your pepper spray?

I guess one thing I did when walking home in the dark was to place a key in between my index and pointer fingers so that I could maybe poke someone in the eye if need me.

20 Natalie November 18, 2008 at 3:00 pm

I hope Abbie feels better! It’s never fun when your pet is sick.

I should take better safety precautions…the one thing I do is never run in the dark. A friend of mine was hit by a car when running at night and that still scares me.

21 Meghann November 18, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Cindy – I have thought abuot the RoadIDs before, but now you really have me thinking that I want one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Aimee – The pepper spray is connected to my IPOD. It’s not exactly the easiest access, but I have actually practiced what would be the best way to grab it if someone was approaching.

22 Andrea (Off Her Cork) November 18, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Ack! So sorry your baby was sick. 🙁 That is the worst feeling ever!

If I have to run in the dark, I wear a blinking light and I carry two weapons with me (and I’m trained in using them). I don’t trust people at all, so if I come across someone, even in the daylight, as I’m running, I cross the street or put as much distance between me and them as I can. I don’t run near vans or trucks (I cross the street). If I have to run past a huge hedge that doesn’t allow me to see around it, I make a wide arc so I don’t pass too closely to it.

Love RoadID, they are awesome and the customer service is amazing! That’s where I got my little blinking light. 😀

23 Megan November 18, 2008 at 3:34 pm

So sorry about Abbie! I hope she is OK. I feel your pain. My dog ended up having to have emergency surgery yesterday. We took him into the vet because he wasn’t feeling well and they found that his kidneys and bladder were full of stones. They said that he would die if we didn’t have surgery. It cost $2000, but I would rather pay than lose him. My husband picked him up this morning and said he is miserable. I am going home soon to take care of him.

24 gina (fitnessista) November 18, 2008 at 3:50 pm

i’m so sorry to hear abbie isn’t feeling well- i go crazy when one of my puppies gets sick. i hope she gets better soon!
i agree with the above comments that you should get roadID. it’s a great company, not very expensive, and it makes sure that you’re never in the “doe” family god forbid something would happen. my friend kelly (who is a marathon runner) was doing 12 miles one day in the heat and passed out– someone found her and could reach her husband from the id.
hope you have a good day <3

25 Erin November 18, 2008 at 4:02 pm

I’m so sorry about your dog. That’s totally frightening and I completely understand. My little bugaboo (Annie, who isn’t pictured often on the blog) has to go to the vet tomorrow. It’s very scary when you can SEE your animal is in physical and emotional pain and can do very little to help.

26 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) November 18, 2008 at 4:33 pm

Wow, Caitlin is such a good friend!

And thanks for reminding everyone about safety precautions!

27 Jillian November 18, 2008 at 4:39 pm

So sorry to hear about your doggie! Luckily she will be ok!!
I carry a little pepper spray on my keychain so I always have it with me! It has a pink case around it which I think makes it not as obnoxious. 🙂

28 Allison November 18, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Awww I’m sorry about Abbie! I’m sure your baby girl will be just fine – especially if the vet doesn’t seem concerned. But I know exactly how you feel – I would be reacting EXACTLY the same way!

29 Andrea [bellaeats] November 18, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Meghann – I’m so sorry to hear about Abbie!!! I know how scary that is, but I’m glad to hear that she is going to be fine. And I’m so glad that Caitlin was worried about you! Running on your own in the dark is tricky…I have marathon training friends that wear headlamps and carry pepper spray. I try to always take Brian or a friend with me for night-time runs, but I need to pick up some pepper spray for when I have to go on my own… Good thinking telling your supervisor to watch out for you, maybe you could set up a phone call buddy system with one of your running friends. And I’m definitely looking into RoadID after reading these comments!

30 biz319 November 18, 2008 at 5:20 pm

Where I walk there is no one, and I mean no one! Once I hit the trail I may hear an occassional car drive by in the distance.

But I always bring my cell phone with me, I have had visions of being attacked by deer!

31 jess November 18, 2008 at 5:31 pm

awww, I’m sending good vibes to abbie; animal drama always throws me for a huge loop.

I always take pepper spray… always. I got chased once and will Never be caught unawares again. Unfortunately for him, my dad taught me how to throw a punch.

The foil wrap method is ideal!

32 Justy2003 November 18, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Sorry to hear your puppy is sick 🙁 Hopefully she’ll be back to normal in no time! And soooo nice of Caitlin to check in on you! Obviously SOMEONE would realize you weren’t around! 🙂

I have a running partner for my early morning runs so that automatically makes me feel safer! However, she’s moving in December, so it looks like I’ll be stuck by myself! I’ve taken my cell phone when I’ve run by myself before, so I may need to start doing that once she’s gone. And I’ve thought about getting a RoadID…I should probably get on that. Christmas gift! Also, I live with my boyfriend, so if I wasn’t home by a certain time I’d like to think he would try to track me down! 😉

33 Megan November 18, 2008 at 7:04 pm

There is an award waiting for you over at my blog!

34 Catherine November 19, 2008 at 11:55 am

Even though I run in a well lit and populated area I always run carrying my cell phone in one hand and pepper spray in the other. When I’m staying over at the BF’s he knows where I’m going and my exact route so if I was not to turn up (God forbid!) he would have a search party started.