Abbie Update & BSI Meal

by Meghann on November 18, 2008

I had every hope and intention to pick Abbie up from the Vet after work this afternoon. Unfortunately, the Vet had other plans and would like to keep her overnight for observation. They assured me that she is doing fine; they just wanted to hold her to make sure whatever was wrong with her is now out of her system. Of course, I have now been thrown into Concerned Mommy overload. I will hopefully be able to pick her up tomorrow during my lunch hour. Until then my apartment is sad and lonely without her to keep me company.

After I talked to the Vet this afternoon I decided it was the best time to indulge in my afternoon snack. Nothing like something sweet and creamy to lift my spirits. (Yes, I am an emotional eater L).

CIMG3632

I broke into my second Peach Chobani and packed a ¼ cup of Quaker Oatmeal Squares to give the yogurt a crunch. Do you like the fork action? Its all we had in the office kitchen.

CIMG3634

I know this is only the second flavor of Chobani I have sampled, but it is definitely my favorite. I meant to try the others and then come back to peach, but this morning I saw the pretty orange container calling my name and just had to grab it. Sigh.. now I am sad all of the peach flavors are gone, maybe the Blueberry flavor I had left will intrigue me as much as the peach has.

Too keep my mind off of Abbie I decided to get crafty this evening and attempt my BSI submission for the week. I was overly excited when Lindsay selected Pumpkin for this week’s BSI and had a zillion possibilities of what to make. First I narrowed down that I wanted to go out on a limb and attempt something savory. Second, I decided to I wanted it to involve either chicken or tofu, since that is what I currently have in my fridge at the moment. Finally, Third, I of course wanted to think of something I had never seen before to boost up the creativity points I am so fond of.

So what did I come up with?!?!?!

Pumpkin Pecan Encrusted Chicken

CIMG3640

• 1 Chicken Breast
  • 1/2 cup Pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup Egg Whites
  • 3 tablespoons Fat Free Milk
  • Pumpkin Spice
  • Cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup Crushed Pecans
  • 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs

CIMG3635

1.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees

2.  In one bowl combine the pumpkin, egg whites, fat free milk and a dash of each of  the seasonings.

3.  In a separate bowl combing the pecans, bread crumbs and another dash of spices

4. First coat the chicken with the pumpkin mixture and then with the pecan mix.

5.  Bake the chicken at 375 for 30 minutes.

CIMG3639

Mmmmm….. the chicken reminded me of Thanksgiving! The perfect Holiday meal. :)  Pumpkin and Pecan are an ideal combination which complimented the chicken perfectly. This meal also got me thinking how great a pumpkin and pecan stuffing would be for Thanksgiving Turkey. I think I am going to work on that for next week!

On the side of the chicken I attempted Yucca for the first time.

CIMG3647

I have always been a huge fan of Yucca, but have never attempted to cook it. The exotic root was tempting me during my ill fated grocery trip so I threw it in the cart and decided to give it a try.

I was too lazy to look up instructions how to cook it properly so I decided to just bake it as I would any other root vegetable. I peeled it, cubed it, seasoned it with salt and pepper, then placed the root in the oven to roast with the chicken.

As with any other new cooking experience I’ve had, simple is always the best. The Yucca came out amazing! It was perfect and starchy. The Yucca was also really cheap, less then 50 cents! I will be sure to buy and prepare this vegetable a lot more in the future.

I also steamed some Snap Green Peas to add some pretty color to my plate.

CIMG3646

The meal is filling and satisfying. The perfect combination to keep my mind off of my poor puppy.

CIMG3637

For dessert I had a half a cup of Peanut Butter Cup Frozen Yogurt with some Puffed Brown Rice.

CIMG3649

I do love me some Frozen Yogurt. :)

Now I’m off to catch up on the DVR and then get some sleep. I am going to hopefully attempt another run tomorrow morning. Cross your fingers I can actually make it out tomorrow.

Good Night!

1 Maggie November 18, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Aww, poor Abbie :( I’m sure she’ll be okay, don’t worry!!

Your dinner looks delicious :) And so does dessert.

2 VeggieGirl November 18, 2008 at 8:51 pm

Hang in there!!! I’m praying hard for Abbie’s recovery.

Yet ANOTHER amazing BSI creation this week – you need to publish a cookbook already!! :-D

3 Lindsay November 18, 2008 at 8:53 pm

what an awesome recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!! pumpkin, pecans, and chicken = a totally thanksgiving yummy meal. i’ve been looking for a recipe to have the friday after thanksgiving – maybe ill try this!

4 sweetandnatural November 18, 2008 at 8:57 pm

That looks great! I’ll be keeping Abbie in my thoughts until her safe return tomorrow!

5 Justy2003 November 18, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Glad to hear Abbie’s doing well…but I can only imagine how lonely your apartment is without her!

This chicken looks great! I need to try more recipes with pumpkin besides in just oatmeal and yogurt.

6 Hangry Pants November 18, 2008 at 9:07 pm

I hope Abbie is ok!

I love this chicken recipe. You are such a creative cook!

7 Erica November 18, 2008 at 9:19 pm

You will be in my thoughts all night! I’m glad Abbie is doing well but I would totally be a concerned mommy too! Frank sends her kisses! That chicken does look fabulous! Good luck in the contest ;)

8 inmytummy November 18, 2008 at 9:22 pm

I just had the peach chobani today for the first time. Pretty good, although I think I prefer vanilla.

9 caitlin November 18, 2008 at 9:33 pm

yay abbersssss!

10 Amy November 18, 2008 at 9:38 pm

I really hope your precious pooch is feeling better, and soon! I will be thinking of that cutie :)
Love the BSI recipe. You know why?! Because I have all the ingredients in my pantry! WOOT. I can actually make this, and i actually wanttttt to, because it combines some faves of mine. Thanks Meghann!

11 bamarunner November 18, 2008 at 9:47 pm

i’m gonna try that recipe tomorrow night! looks delicious.

also, glad your doggie is doing better. where would be without mans best friend? :)

12 Megan November 18, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Oh…it is such a bad day for our doggies. I hope everything is ok with Abbie! I bet it is hard not to have her in the house. I went through that last night!

13 Megan November 18, 2008 at 9:50 pm

I forgot to say that I love your pumpkin submission for BSI!

14 jenngirl November 18, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Aw-I’ll be thinking about your precious puppy!

What an impressive dinner tonight, looks amazing! I’ve never tried yucca either, I’m not sure I’ve even heard of it, but it looks good!

15 Betsy November 18, 2008 at 9:55 pm

poor abby. i’m sure she’ll be excited to come home tomorrow and as good as new.

16 Meghann November 18, 2008 at 10:02 pm

Poor puppy- I hope she feels better! I know you must miss her. When my cat was neutered I was so lonely for 2 days :( Get well soon Abbie!

17 teenageveghead November 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm

the peach chobani is my favorite too!

18 gina (fitnessista) November 18, 2008 at 10:15 pm

i dub thee queen of bsi creations
you amaze me :D
SO GLAD you can pick up your baby tomorrow!

19 Andrea [bellaeats] November 18, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Poor Abbie, and poor Meghann! I know how lonely a dog-less apartment can be for an evening. I hope she gets to come home tomorrow!

Your BSI submission looks AMAZING…you are so incredibly creative!!! :)

20 ttfn300 November 18, 2008 at 10:57 pm

that chix looks awesome!! glad abbie’s doing better!!

21 Alexia November 18, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Awwww…. I am so sorry to hear about Abbie! I hope she is doing well. Do they know what is wrong with her? Did she just have some type of bug? I can’t even imagine how you feel right now not having her home. Rascal is getting his teeth cleaned Friday and I am leaving work early just so I can go get him and let him be with his Mommy. I think there is magic in a mother’s touch.I know I will be a nervous wreck. I am just sooo sorry! Keep us updated!

22 sharon November 18, 2008 at 11:09 pm

Hi Meghann,
It must be SOOOOO lonely without your cute little Abbie :-( I’m so sorry, but at least she is in good hands and she’ll be back with you tomorrow!

Your dinner sounds & looks fantastic. I have never heard of yucca before or even seen it in the store. Does it taste similar to any other vegetable out there?

I hope it is nice and warm tomorrow morning so you can get your run in! Lots of hugs to both you & Abbie :-)

23 Mel November 18, 2008 at 11:21 pm

I’m so sorry about Abbie! But at least she’ll be soooo happy to see you tomorrow!

Ohh yucca, I love it but never prepare it at home. I like fried and boiled, mash it up and it’s like mashed potatoes! I think I might just have to now!

24 Nellie November 18, 2008 at 11:44 pm

You NEED to win the BSI contest with that meal. Pumpkin Pecan Encrusted Chicken, genius!

25 eatingbender November 18, 2008 at 11:52 pm

I’m really sorry to hear about Abbie. I hear ya on the Concerned Mother and really hope that there is better news tomorrow. And re: your last post, I’m very glad that Caitlin is there for you!! I definitely think that letting people know any time you’re going out alone is key.

Your BSI recipe is definitely the most creative yet!! Pumpkin Pecan?! It’s like combining two of my favorite sweet pies into one savory sensation. GREAT job, Meghann!!

26 jess November 19, 2008 at 12:11 am

Sending good thoughts for abbie!

And Pumpkin Crust?! You are a rockstar. We’re having a smaller thanksgiving at home this year with just myself, my mom, and grandma and I was trying to come up with something small and Relatively traditional that wasn’t turkey- you may have beat me to it ;)

Good luck tomorrow!

27 Sharon November 19, 2008 at 12:14 am

What a great way to serve chicken!

28 Rachel November 19, 2008 at 12:44 am

YUM! I know I’m like the millionth person to chime in, but that looks so delicious! I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing with us!

29 biz319 November 19, 2008 at 7:50 am

Hope Abbie comes home today!

30 Tina November 19, 2008 at 9:00 am

What a great idea for the BSI!!!!!

31 cara November 19, 2008 at 10:32 am

Abbie is still in my thoughts! I am sure she will be fine, she already seems like quite the fighter!

When my pup was in the hospital for 7 days (with parvo) I went berserk, and lost 10lbs. I am the opposite of a comfort eater, obviously.

32 lauren November 19, 2008 at 12:39 pm

I hope abbie is ok! i feel for you! your BSI dish looks so good…yum.

33 Allison November 19, 2008 at 1:21 pm

You are always SO creative with your BSI recipes – do you just have these ideas pop out of your head, or do you have a special trick for inspiration?

34 Meghann November 19, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Allison – I will just daze out in a cooking brainstorming daze and let the ideas start flowing until one comes to mind. It usually takes me a while to think of something worth trying.