Best Snack Ever!

by Meghann on November 13, 2008

I had the best snack today! The other day I saw Melissa combine oranges and peanut butter, which instantly intrigued me. Since oranges are one the verge of being in season and are available really cheap all around me (they were 69 cents a pound a Publix last week and grow in almost everyone’s backyard!) I have been looking for fun ideas to incorporate them. I must say Melissa had a hit with this one.

cimg3413

Sooooo good. I would never have thought of this combination but it was right on.

cimg3414

So next time you are looking for something sweet to dip in some nutty goodness, grab an orange! You will not be sorry!

Lunch was fabulous as well, even it was just left overs. J

cimg3415

I had the last of my Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Pizza. Yum.

cimg3422

A couple of you were asking if I could taste the sweet potato in the crust and I can honestly say I could really taste it today. It was subtle but definitely there.  The crust was still amazing and the toppings were as always the perfect compliment. Nothing is better then left over pizza!

I also heated up some left over sauerkraut with okra thrown in there.

cimg3419

I know it looks like an odd combination but this really worked. I seasoned it up with some Cajun spices which gave the combo a little kick.

This afternoon is my company’s quarterly corporate meeting. There will be awards, recognition, drinks, food and cake. I did not bring a snack with me this afternoon in anticipation for some office goodies. This should be interesting to see how I behave myself around all of the office goodies.

Here are a couple of guidelines I always set in place to keep myself from overdoing it:

• Even if I’m not going to eat the cake, I accept a slice and hold onto it. I do not usually eat it, I just carry it around so a zillion people will not be offering me cake the whole time and then questioning why I’m not eating if. Even if I have it in my hands and am not eating it they do not care, I guess they just want to see me with cake. Weird, right?
  • I never tell myself I am forbidden from anything at all. If I do that by the end of the office party I always rebel and munch on everything in sight.
  • I always prioritize my choices. Would I have rather have the store bought cake or a nice glass of red wine? Would I rather have some chips and dip or the vegetables? Would I rather eat the homemade treat or the processed candy? You see my point.
  • Mingle! If I talk to my fellow employees then I will not be staring at the food the whole time! J

I’m not sure how helpful those are, but they tend to work for me. How do you make it through all of the goodies at office meetings or parties?

1 VeggieGirl November 13, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Oranges & PB, eh?? Interesting!!! I must try it 🙂

LOVE THAT SWEET POTATO PIZZA SLICE!!! Mmmm…..

Great tips!! Thanks!!

2 Rose November 13, 2008 at 1:20 pm

If you like oranges and PB, you’ll love orange juice AND PB. I drink a glass every morning with my oatmeal + PB spoon.

3 Krista November 13, 2008 at 1:23 pm

I pile my plate HIGH with fruits and veggies before I even touch the goodies! That way, there’s less room on my plate for treats….

4 jess November 13, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Oranges and PB?? I’m as skeptical as veggirl! But also as eager to try, haha.

Not as eager as I am to try that pizza dough though!!!!!

For work things and stuff I usually just do the ‘plate balance’ test thing. Half or more with veggies and fruit, and bits of whatever I ‘really’ want if it’s goodies/greasy

5 Bridget P November 13, 2008 at 1:31 pm

We have a lot of morning meetings with bagels or afternoon meetings with ginormous cookies…I always eat something substantial before I go and remind myself that if I eat that huge white floury, sugary, carby treat, it will just be THAT MUCH harder to stay awake during the meeting. Hehe…I know you can relate to getting sleepy in meetings 😉

For lunch meetings, I just try to eat something comparable to what I would normally eat for lunch. If they are serving greasy pizza and salad, then I just eat salad. If it’s big sandwiches (my co. clearly has a problem with over-sized portions), I just eat half.

I really like your idea about accepting and carrying around the cake!

6 Amy November 13, 2008 at 1:40 pm

i saw that snack combo on melissa’s blog last night, so its great that two people recommend it as a good flavor mix. lovely leftover lunch. and great tips about office/party food challenges.

7 sweetandnatural November 13, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Oranges and PB…hmmm…

I usually munch on veggies or fruit unless the treats look too good to pass up. In that case, I pick just one and enjoy it immensely.

8 caitlin November 13, 2008 at 2:09 pm

good tip about carrying around the cake! but then i would just pick at it.

hope you win an award for being awesome!

9 lauren November 13, 2008 at 2:17 pm

oranges and PB?! veeery interesting!

10 Amanda November 13, 2008 at 2:30 pm

I always tend to have trouble in situations like that where there is a big spread. As for office birthdays I usually take the cake and eat the icing. It’s my favorite part anyways and I just count it as my dessert for the day 🙂

11 Megan November 13, 2008 at 2:49 pm

All the people at my office know that I am an extremely healthy eater, so they don’t make a big deal about it! Makes it comfortable for me.

12 catms916 November 13, 2008 at 3:55 pm

haha I totally do that with cake at my office!! I’ve noticed other people do too… seriously though it suddenly stops the oh-so-annoying “why aren’t you eating cake?” “do you only eat healthy foods?” “do you not eat carbs or soemthing?” type questions. Seriously people, be happy with what you choose to put in your mouth and don’t concern yourself with what other people do or don’t choose to eat!

13 biz319 November 13, 2008 at 4:32 pm

Sorry, you lost me with the orange/PB combo!

14 bobbi November 13, 2008 at 5:41 pm

I want to try that orange and PB thing looks yummy. I too tend to minlge to avoid any poor choices, but I also make sure I have the one thing that looks the best but only half of it…that way I am not depriving myself:)

15 Andrea [bellaeats] November 13, 2008 at 6:02 pm

Great tips, Meghann! I so wish I had them yesterday before going to a holiday party at the architects’ office next to me…. I was good, but probably not as good as I could have been! 🙂

I totally use your cake tip with drinks too. If we have friends over I just hold on to a glass of wine and slooooooowly sip it through the night, that way I only wind up with one instead of 3!

16 Brooke November 13, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Those tips are fantastic! My favorite tip was taking a piece of cake even if you don’t plan on eating it. Great idea!!!

17 Melissa S. November 13, 2008 at 9:12 pm

YAY for the pb and orange!!!! soooooo good!!!!! Glad you enjoyed it so much!

and love the tip…i even go about breaking off pieces, walking by the trash and pouring pieces in here and there…hahahaha…makes it look like i’m eating it. 😛

{ 2 trackbacks }