Wednesday already?

by Meghann on November 12, 2008

This week sure is flying by and I am not complaining! I have a great weekend ahead so the sooner it gets here the better. J

My run this morning was very peaceful and serene. I had a lot of thoughts going through my head so its always nice to take that hour or so to just sort them out. If you ever have a lot on your mind I would highly suggest taking off on a run to break through it all. I also find that I am so relaxed when I come to work due to my morning meditative running. I become Peaceful Morning Meghann. J

Morning Stats:

Distance: 5.1 miles

Time: 53:46

I bought a couple of new boxes of cereal this weekend and I can now say I am happily stocked with over seven different kinds of cereal! (6 of which are Kashi brand). I get a little cereal crazy sometimes. One of my new cereals was something I had never tried before, Kashi Vive. It claims to promote digestive health, but the little yogurt balls were what intrigued me the most. I decided to give the cereal a try in this morning’s mix.

cimg3374

I had 1 cup of Kashi Vive, ½ cup of Kashi Honey Sunshine and 1 cubed peach in my bowl.

cimg3376

I really, really enjoyed the Kashi Vive. It had great crunch, was not too sweet and all of the nutritional statistics rank this cereal high on my list. Kashi has another cereal winner here.

For some reason I am running low on food in my apartment. I think when I know I am going to be going out of town I always cut way back on fresh fruit and veggies at my weekly grocery trip to make sure I use up any that were already in the fridge. So both fortunately and unfortunately my vegetable drawer is already empty. I still have some fruit left, but the rest of my meals this week should be interesting as they usually revolve around fresh vegetables. Time to put my thinking cap on for lunch. J

Do you make any changes to your grocery shopping or meal routine when you know you will be leaving town for the weekend?

1 Maggie November 12, 2008 at 9:16 am

I’m leaving town tomorrow (can’t wait!!!) and I’m just trying to use up things that might go bad over the next 5 days. I think I’m just about done now.

Running IS really therapeutic. So is yoga for me.

Happy Weds! This is like a Friday for me so I’m in an awesome mood 😀

2 VeggieGirl November 12, 2008 at 9:18 am

Hooray for a quicker week!!

Love the abundance of yellow in your breakfast!! My #1 favorite color 😀

**To answer your question = I try to stock up on foods to take on trips, and only buy just enough to keep in the house before leaving.

3 jenngirl November 12, 2008 at 9:18 am

Good to know about the Kashi Vive, I’ve been curious.

Sometimes I make adjustments, like not buying quite as many pieces of fruit, but honestly if I know I’m going out of town, but I NEED more bananas, I’ll just buy them, and bring them with me on my trip!

Happy Wednesday!

4 Bridget P November 12, 2008 at 9:22 am

I think running is extremely therapeutic. It’s the best (and sometimes only) way I can completely clear my head.

I never plan right when I’m going out of town and always end up with either too much food or run out several days before I leave…

5 Allison November 12, 2008 at 9:24 am

that cereal combo looks great! i always make adjustments with groceries as it comes close to us “being away” – and our meals around then are typically sad – and unappetizing – lol

6 Amy November 12, 2008 at 9:28 am

Great run. I love when I can sort out my thoughts without the distraction of daily life while working out. And VIVE is great, i had some yesterday. It tastes so unique.
Also, I was thinking the same thing about groceries/food while going away. I’ll be gone for a week during thanksgiving, so this is a challenge both here and at home.
Have a nice day Meghann 😀

7 Jenn November 12, 2008 at 9:31 am

I like Kashi vive a lot too! Do you have any kind of milk with your cereal or do you eat it dry??

And I do the same thing when I know im going to be leaving. I don’t want anything to go bad so I just use whats in the fridge. Sometimes I end up having very strange meals haha

8 Krista November 12, 2008 at 9:31 am

I <3 Kahi Vive! Yum!
With a hubby and 2 kids, we rarely go away for the weekend, but if I know that we won’t be home for “normal” dinners a few nights in a row, I will change my grocery routine!

9 Meghann November 12, 2008 at 9:34 am

Hi Jenn! – I am unfortunately not a fan of milk so I try to keep it away from my cereals. Instead I try to ‘fatten’ my cereals up with fruit, applesauce or nut butters. 🙂

10 Mel November 12, 2008 at 9:55 am

There is just something about letting your mind wander during exercise that is so calming.

As for your question, I usually don’t buy as much of the stuff that is bound to go bad quickly.

11 Rose November 12, 2008 at 10:02 am

Great job on the run this morning – those are good stats. Thanks for sharing.

I usually do the same thing as others have said – I don’t buy fresh fruit, milk – that sort of thing.

12 Megan November 12, 2008 at 10:16 am

Love the cereal mix. Have a great day!

13 jess November 12, 2008 at 10:19 am

Heck this Month is flying by! How do you like the Kashi Honey Sunrise? I haven’t tried it yet because most times I think cereal is too sweet. I agree with most everyone else- I save the perishables till I get back but still stock up on the stuff taht won’t be hurt/lose nutrients by sitting in the fridge.

14 gina (fitnessista) November 12, 2008 at 11:13 am

i’ve been wondering if kashi vive was good! i’ll have to pick some up now 😀
when i’m about to go out of town, i try to eat everything perishable beforehand and only buy things i know i’ll finish before i can go.
hope you have a great day!

15 ashley (sweet & natural) November 12, 2008 at 11:33 am

I actually did the same thing this week – skipped buying produce on my weekend grocery trip – because I thought I was going to be traveling for work this week. Turns out I’m not and now I’m short on fruits and veggies!

16 Andrea (Off Her Cork) November 12, 2008 at 11:59 am

I don’t run with an iPod or anything (not yet anyway LOL) and I love that time to just think things over and fine-tune plans.

Your SP pizza crust below looks awesome! I am so trying that out soon!

17 Sara November 12, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Meghann, how long does canned pumpkin stay good for in the refrigerator, after opening?

also i have a question, ive read the ingredients in larabar and its just nuts and fruit usually, so I dont get how they can get them to come together and stay that way??

Im asking this bc I dont have larabars or anything like that where I live, just unnatural bars so I wanna try and make my own!! any suggestions??

18 Jenn November 12, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Mmm applesauce with cereal sounds great! Ive never tried that perhaps now i will, sometimes I sub yogurt for milk which is yummy too!

19 Jordan November 12, 2008 at 1:24 pm

I love pretty much every single Kashi cereal I’ve ever tried… but my favs are the regular GoLean & the Heart2Heart [the heart shaped ones]. Mmm.

20 Meghann November 12, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Sara – I have had pumpkin in the fridge a couple of week before and was still finding it edible. I would say its good in there for at least 3 weeks.

That is so sad you can not find Larabars where you are 🙁 I hear they are pretty easy to recreate on your own as there really is not much to them . here is a link to a blog entry that details how to recreate the bar. I hope it works. Good luck! 🙂

21 Amanda November 12, 2008 at 2:18 pm

I completely agree about running – especially getting outside for a run. Sometimes I know that it is totally necessary to destress that way before I even attempt to be social!!

I do the same thing as you before a trip, skimp on the fresh stuff when I go grocery shopping. I usually have to make an emergency trip to grab some apples and veggies because I find I really can’t live without them. Or I just rely on Steamfresh veggies – I love them!!

22 catms916 November 12, 2008 at 2:21 pm

I am the same way with running – completely clears my head!!

I do the same thing before a trip because I hate wasting food. I try to buy just enough fruit & veggies to get me through the week so I can have some for a snack everyday and then rely mainly on frozen veggies as I get closer to the day I’m leaving… or I freeze the rest of what I have on hand if possible (if it’s squash, tomatoes, broccolii, etc).