DVR Meltdown

by Meghann on November 12, 2008

I came home on my lunch hour to discover an odd clicking noise coming from my entertainment center. At first I thought it was a DVD skipping, but the DVD player was empty. I then turned my cable box on and off, but the clicking continued. I decided to inspect the sound after I made lunch. Then when I went to eat I discovered the shows my DVR had recorded from last night and today were now unplayable. I started to freak out a little. My DVR is ultimately my best friend (I know it’s sad) so to see that something was wrong with my best friend made me angry. I assumed the unplayable shows had to do with the damn clicking noise so I unplugged my entire entertainment unit for about 5 minutes, luckily the clicking stopped. When I plugged everything back in the clicking was still gone, but I could not wait around to wait to check it out after it had time to boot up.

So, now I am at my desk not knowing the faith of my poor DVR player. What will the fates hold for all my future shows? It can’t die on me now, we still have loads of TV to enjoy this week, including America’s Next Top Model, Grey’s Anatomy, The Office, and so on and so on. So please pray that my little DVR player makes it through this. I know she’s tough so hopefully your kind words will help her pull through her clicking sickness… *tear…

While I was crying over my DVR, I did manage to produce a great lunch. With no fresh veggies to be found I was forced to use up some left overs and frozen chow. Which, I guess was the whole point of not going all out on groceries in the first place.

cimg3378

I had some ham steak left over from my Split Pea Soup on Monday so I used it as a filling for a grilled sandwich. I added some grilled apples to the top of the ham turning it into a great sandwich. I know I do not eat ham very often, but it really is one of my favorite meats to eat. This was sooooo good.

cimg3379

I also had the leftover ¾ of the apple on the side…

cimg3382

And a ½ cup of a frozen veggie mix. You might see this a couple more times this week. It’s hard for me to have a meal with out vegetables so I will be making do with the frozen ones I have in the freezer at the moment.

cimg3381

This morning I had a mini Jocalat Bar as my snack.

cimg3377

You will also see a lot of bars for snacks this week as my pantry depletes itself.

Have a great afternoon, its back to work I go. J

1 Amy November 12, 2008 at 2:16 pm

It seems like everyone is being very resourceful with food picks for this week. Thats good though! I try to use things up in an efficient but reasonable way, too.
Sooo sorry about your little DVR, i hope it gets fixed 🙁
Nice lunch, loving the panini-style marks on the bread !

2 jess November 12, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Grilled sandwich anything is amazing! Ham is always nice for a change. For some reason I have an issue about having fruit actually as a meal component (I pick the mandarin oranges off of chinese salads- weird I know!). I’m not sure what it is, but I’m trying to work past it because there are So many flavor combos I know I’m missing out on! 🙁

I’ll be sending good thoughts to your DVR machine

3 catms916 November 12, 2008 at 2:23 pm

Ham + apples = amazing. I sometimes add a little brie or cheddar if I have it on hand.

I hope your DVR is ok!! I know the trauma that can cause, although thankfully nbc, abc and the cw all put their shows online so you can watch them.. although you generally have to wait a day or two…

4 lauren November 12, 2008 at 2:26 pm

so sorry to hear about your DVR, but it makes me wonder how I have been living without one!

5 Bridget P November 12, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Get well soon, DVR!!!

6 Jenny November 12, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Oh no! I hope you figure out the problem with your DVR, that IS sad!

Mm that grilled sandwich is yummy, ham is one of my favorite sandwich meats too, especially with swiss and a pickle 🙂

Steamed veggies are sometimes yummier and more filling than raw, so consider it a fun way to switch things up this week!

7 ashley (sweet & natural) November 12, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Have you ever tried microwaving your Jocalat bars? I just nuked the chocolate flavor for 10-15 seconds and it made it a little melty and kind of brownie like. Yummmm.

8 VeggieGirl November 12, 2008 at 3:35 pm

So sorry about the DVR!!!! 🙁

Fun eats today!!

I’d LOVE to have some of those mini Larabars, oh my – I wanna trade something with you for them!!!!!! 😀

9 Tina November 12, 2008 at 4:24 pm

Bummer about the DVR.

How did you like the Chocolate Hazelnut Jocalat?

10 caitlin November 12, 2008 at 4:45 pm

i have i mentioned i hate work?

my dvr is my life line!!

11 AlliJag November 12, 2008 at 4:45 pm

sorry about your DVR 🙁

that veggie mix looks FABULOUS though!

12 Nicole November 12, 2008 at 5:28 pm

Poor DVR! I don’t have one/if I do I have no idea how to use it, but it seems very handy to have. I always miss my favorite shows 🙁

Your frozen veggies look relatively good compared to the crap I have in my freezer!

13 bobbi November 12, 2008 at 5:30 pm

sorry about the DVR that stinkeroos! Your lunch turned out wonderful, and that bar I had today but the big one!

14 seeleelive November 12, 2008 at 5:36 pm

Sorry about the DVR…but your lunch makes up for the sadness, no?! :o) Check in with ya later!! Have a yummmyyy dinner!

15 Jordan November 12, 2008 at 5:49 pm

I would cry if my media center [Jim’s homemade DVR] died. I feel ya =P

16 Kelsey November 12, 2008 at 6:44 pm

booo for sickly DVRs. hope it just needed to sleep off the ickies!
mmmm, grilled sammies sound devine right about now….

17 Sammie November 12, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Sorry about your DVR – I hope it isn’t toast.
I made your Shepherds Pie tonight for dinner – I had to use black beans – but it turned out AWESOME. Thank you for sharing such an amazing recipe. I actually went out and bought mini loaf pans just so I could make it – they are so cute.
Have a great night.

18 Erin November 12, 2008 at 7:29 pm

That is so a tragedy!

19 Jessica November 12, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Healthy lunch, too bad your DVR’s not too healthy. Maybe the store will replace it?