more ยป" />

The Perfect Race

by Meghann on November 9, 2008

My race today was pretty much as close to perfect as you can get. ๐Ÿ™‚

Beautiful Weather, Beautiful Course, Amazing Time…what more can a girl ask for in her first 10k?

CIMG3292

Since the race was a ‘short distance’ I decided to go balls to the wall and ended up smoking my goal time of ‘under an hour’ coming in at 54:32!!!!!!! It was AMAZING the whole race I was totally in my game and was not holding anything back. I can honestly say I am officially in the best shape of my life right at this moment. and I could not be happier!

But, let me start from the beginning!

I started my day at 5:30 this morning with my favorite pre race meal to begin with.

CIMG3284

A small bagel with Cashew Butter and Apples! I can always count on this combination to hold me through any good run.

When I woke up this morning I was little scared when I needed to put a jacket on to let my dog out, but as soon as the sun rose the temp climbed to a cooling 65 degrees, which was a perfect for the 10k run. The course was laid out through this cute town called Celebration. For those of you who have never heard of Celebration its basically Disney World in the form of a town. Think Truman Show living. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s so cute you want to pinch it to see if its real!

I ran into Caitlin as soon as I parked my car and we went to collect our packets. While collecting our packets I saw some familiar boxes.

CIMG3285

Free Larabar Samples, Score! We grabbed a couple of handfuls, unfortunately the flavors they had were not my favorite, but I still take free Larabars when I can get them.

Once we were suited up with our numbers and time chips one of Caitlin’s readers, Mary Jo, came to greet us and say Hi!

CIMG3287

She was here with her Husband and two kids really pumped for the run. She was aiming for a 9min 30sec pace! We tried waiting for her at the end, but never saw her come in. But I am sure she did great!

We made it to the start line right before the whistle and lined up between the 9 and 10 minute milers. At this point I really did not know where I would pace so I was hoping I was in the right spot.

As the whistle blew, one of the volunteers started to blast the Rocky Theme Song and I just felt this burst of energy inside of me. I was pumped! I knew at that moment that this race was going to rock!

Mile 1 – 8:30 – I could not believe it when I passed the first mile marker and saw my time. I wanted to jump up and down in glee. A couple of weeks ago I tried to run a Mile at full speed and only got to 8:17 so to complete my first mile around that time and still feel like I could pull it out, rocked.

Mile 2 – 17:04 – I really need to wear a stop watch during my runs. It was killing me not knowing the time between mile markers. I also discovered how bad my math is while I am running, I kept trying to break down minutes per mile in my head and just ended up with a big bunch of numbers that didn’t make sense.

Mile 3 – 26:32 – I saw this time and realized I was smoking any previous 5k time I had. I started thinking how I need to run a 5k in the future just to see how fast I can go.

Mile 4 – 35:15 – I kept repeating to myself that I had 2 more miles to go! I could feel my pace slowing a bit, but knew that I had given myself such a good buffer that it was ok.

Mile 5 – 44:40 – I started to speed up after this mile marker, but once I started I knew I had to hold back or I would not make it the last mile. At this smile I also had a Firefighter in full gear pass me. I was thanking myself that I was not him at that moment.

Mile 6.2 – 54:32 – FINISHED! I Can’t wait to see the finish line photos of myself with my arms in the air. ๐Ÿ™‚ I had never been happier at the end of the race. I knew I had completed an awesome race and totally crushed any goals I had set for myself. Caitlin was waiting and cheering for me at the end, she had only finished a minute before me!!

After the race I enjoyed 2 orange slices (before I grabbed my camera) and a nice refreshing bottle of water. We also went Tent shopping for free stuff.

I got my Body Fat Measured.

CIMG3291

They did the calibrator thing where they take measurements with the fat squeezing tool (I know that’s not the proper name, butt hat’s how I remember it) ๐Ÿ™‚ I am not sure how accurate this is. According to this paper I am in the Fair catergory for body fat percentage. I have been working my butt off for the past year to be one step above poor? I don’t think so. I take this new information with a grain of salt, thank you.

Caitlin had her knew looked at by a Orthopedic Doctor.

CIMG3294

Basically he told her everything she was doing for her knee was perfect. She had a not so great experience with a not so great Orthopedic Doctor in the past, but this one seemed more sensitive to her desire to run. He seemed very knowledgeable and if I have any future sports injuries or problems I will definitely be looking this guy up.

After the race I headed to Whole Foods to pick up the BSI prize ( Don’t forget the deadline for entries is 8:00 pm est today!)

CIMG3298

While browsing I treated myself to a Top of the Morning Muffin and some fruit salad. I may have ate this a tad to fast as my belly start aching immediately afterwards. Ooppss.. oh well, it was still good and totally worth it!!

I have no more set plans for the rest of the day. Yay!!! So I am going to relax with Abbie and enjoy my Sunday! I hope everyone else is doing the same ๐Ÿ™‚

1 tiffanie November 9, 2008 at 12:07 pm

what a great way to start your sunday and end your weekend! you should be very proud ๐Ÿ™‚

2 sharon November 9, 2008 at 12:11 pm

Yay Meghann!! CONGRATULATIONS! You are amazing! Great job- you and Caitlin are so inspiring to me. I hope that one day I can be as fast as you guys!

3 Justy2003 November 9, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Congrats on a great race time for your first 10k!
And I agree about the body fat percentage. I’ve never had mine done, but I’ve heard that it can vary quite a bit depending on who does it. From what I’ve seen on the blog, you’ve made a ton of progress and as long as you feel good, that’s all that matters!

4 Amy November 9, 2008 at 12:23 pm

i’m so happy for you! what an amazing accomplishment. i shouted you out on my blog! way to go, seriously.
awesome larabar samples, muffin, bagel, everything!
once again, congrats girlfriend ๐Ÿ˜€

5 Megan November 9, 2008 at 12:27 pm

What a fabulous morning! Great job on the run!

6 Laura November 9, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Congrats on the perfect race! It must feel so amazing to be in the best shape of your life! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve been to Celebration before! It’s a cute little town, but kinda gave me the creeps, like living in an artificial world. ๐Ÿ™‚

And yeah, take the fair rating with a grain of salt.

7 Jenny November 9, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Congrats on an awesome race!! I have that sports top! LOVE it! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m so jealous of Larabar samples…

Have a great Sunday!

8 Melissa (fitnessnyc) November 9, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Great job on your first 10K, many more to come I’m sure! I can’t believe your race had larabars!

9 gina (fitnessista) November 9, 2008 at 12:47 pm

CONGRATS on an amazing 10k!
whoo hoo for larabar samples and whole foods goodies!
enjoy the rest of your already-incredible day <3

here’s the personal trainer coming out in me: a body fat of below 25% (but not under 12% as that’s the essential required fat) is GREAT and healthy– the average american woman has a body fat of around 30%. 17%-20% fits is an excellent range for body fat, and 20-25% is considered good for a nomal woman. the chart they gave you is for hardcore athletes, where 14-17% is ideal

10 wholefoodswholeme November 9, 2008 at 12:52 pm

HUGE CONGRATS MEGHANN!!!!!

sounds absolutely fantastic!! you superwoman!!!!!! and yes i would take that body fat result with a pinch of salt for sure – it doesn’t seem very accurate to me :/

free larabars!!!!

11 sweetandnatural November 9, 2008 at 12:56 pm

WAY TO GO MEGHANN!! What a huge accomplishment! You and Caitlin are inspirations, that’s for sure. ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Meghann November 9, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Thanks Gina!!! I knew there had to be something up with that chart they gave me ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Lindsay November 9, 2008 at 1:35 pm

congrats on the race success!

14 mary-jo November 9, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Hey Meghann!! Congratulations on such a great run this morning. You did awesome!

It was great meeting you and Caitlin this morning ~ you two are so friendly and enthusiastic.

I came in at 55:52 and am quite pleased with that time. It was so much fun to be cruising along and feeling great the whole time. And the conditions were perfect for running this morning.

I did the same measurement you did after the run (and, consequently, got the same measurement you did, as well). Then, I went over to the tents on the other side of the parking lot and they had the more advanced machine you stand on to get measured and that measured me 2 percentage points less than the other tent that measured you. Go figure? But, I think it’s great you only take it with a grain of salt. A ‘fair’ measurement certainly doesn’t get you doing 6.2 miles in 54:32!! How you feel is a much better measurement. And, I’m with Gina on the chart being a little off.

I hope you have a great day basking in the glow of such a successful race!

15 glidingcalm November 9, 2008 at 1:57 pm

wow thats amazing!!! you and caitlin always impress me with your runs! fabulous!!!

16 Marianne November 9, 2008 at 2:20 pm

Congrats on the race!

You’ve been tagged! Check out my blog for details ๐Ÿ˜€

17 Melissa S. November 9, 2008 at 2:36 pm

CONGRATS!!!! WAY TO GO!!! WHAT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!

Love the mentatlity and the finish and the free stuff!

But I really really like your outlook on the body fat test you had…i had one done recently and got something of the same thing and was very discouraged…i’ve kinda been beating myself up about it ….grrr…

anyways, GREAT JOB!

18 Angel November 9, 2008 at 2:40 pm

As always, I am super proud of you Meghann!! Keep up the great work and just chunk that BMI thing straight to the trash! Did I see a Florida Hospital ID badge on the Ortho Doc? We do have the greatest Docs in the World. Love you cuz!

19 VeggieGirl November 9, 2008 at 2:45 pm

PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT!!! And damn, I need those Larabars!! ๐Ÿ˜€

20 ttfn300 November 9, 2008 at 2:52 pm

FANTASTIC RUN!!! congrats :):) i’m jealous of those lara bar samples ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Erica November 9, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Congrats on the race! That is so very exciting! Great race day picture!! I am excited to see all of the recipes! Now that I have a new love for eggplant, I may have to give some of them a whirl!

22 caitlin November 9, 2008 at 3:49 pm

elf classic is only $20 until nov 20. told you buttar was cheap!

23 caitlin November 9, 2008 at 3:49 pm

and its up in your area. can i sleep over at your place the night before? ๐Ÿ™‚

24 Bridget November 9, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Congrats on a great 10K!

25 Andrea [bellaeats] November 9, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Meghann! Congratulations!!!!!!! I can’t wait to run my first 10k…my longest race has been 4 miles. ๐Ÿ™‚

26 Maggie November 9, 2008 at 4:14 pm

AWESOME! You did so amazingly!

27 Lindsey November 9, 2008 at 4:30 pm

I’ve been to Celebration before w/ different performance groups. It is a little creepy to me, too “Pleasantville” ish. (Same with Baldwin Park!…there is a fantastic sushi place in Baldwin Park Village though, if you’ve never tried it before! Don’t remember the name of it, but it’s the only Japanese/ sushi place there). But did you know that Celebration has a Christmas/ Winter festival every year and they make it “snow” in the streets downtown? I’ve never seen it, but I’ve had many people tell me about it. Show’s you how Pleasantville/ Truman Show-esque it really is!

28 seeleelive November 9, 2008 at 5:08 pm

congratulations!!!!!!!! So happy for you. Who is doing the BSI this week?

29 strongandhealthy November 9, 2008 at 6:25 pm

Awesome job on the race!!! You should be proud!

30 Erin November 9, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Congratulations Meghann! You and Caitlin are SO inspiring and I love hearing about your races. You are both so motivated and healthy and I love it!
I know your body fat questions have prob been answered, but here’s another reason why that reading may be BS – it makes a difference whether you take it before or after exercise. My old physical therapist (who was a former competitive bodybuilder) refused to take it after our sessions because it screwed up the reading. Hmm!
HIGH FIVE!

31 Sharon November 9, 2008 at 6:48 pm

That is amazing! Such an inspiration!

32 bobbi November 9, 2008 at 7:24 pm

wow you go girl! Love the outfit:) YOU two look great!

33 Alexia November 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm

YAY! That is soooo AWESOME! I am happy for you! Great Job!

34 Hangry Pants November 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Wow! Congratulations, Caitlin. I love the play by play of the race. I have no idea what my body fat % is and would love to find out. So cool all this stuff was at the race!

Sorry I didn’t get to get an eggplant recipe. I’ve been so food boring lately. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your Sunday!

35 lauren November 10, 2008 at 10:55 am

sorry I am late, but I want to say congrats on an amazing 10k time! you did great!

36 Elina (Healthy and Sane) November 12, 2008 at 6:25 pm

Congrats!! What an awesome time!