After my great run this morning I decided to utilize the rest of my day to relax and enjoy the weekend. I took Abbie to the dog park, made a great lunch, caught up on blogging, took a leisurely hour long trip to the grocery store and took my time creating an amazing Sunday dinner. A brilliant way to end the weekend. 🙂
For lunch I wanted to use up some beans in my fridge so I got to work on a Black Bean and Black Eyed Pea Burger.
I smashed the beans with some whole wheat bread crumbs until two patties were formed, then I pan grilled them on the stove top. The burger went great with some honey mustard and tomato. 🙂
On the side I heated up some Butternut Squash Fries.
The meal ended up being my take on an old favorite, Burger & Fries. Only mine was just a tad bit healthier then the original. 🙂
On the way to my weekly grocery trip (only my favorite part of the week!) I tried the mini Jacalat Larabar I picked up at the race this morning.
It was actually pretty good. I’m not the biggest fan of the Jocalat series, but the hazelnut one wasn’t bad at all.
Since I had time to put a good meal together, I decided to go all out and bake a Lasagna.
I took the Cooking Light recipe for Butternut Squash Lasagna and reworked it to a smaller size using Acorn Squash instead of butternut.
My modifications for Acorn Squash Lasagna.
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 bag of fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons of egg white
- 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 oven roasted acorn squash, chopped
- 3 cups tomato/marinara sauce
- Garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Prepare noodles according to box directions, set to the side
- In a stove top pan sauté onion until tender. Add spinach & mushrooms; sauté spinach wilts. Combine mozzarella, seasonings, egg white, and ricotta cheese in a separate bowl.
- Coat the bottom and sides of an 8-inch-square baking dishes with cooking spray. Spread a little tomato sauce the bottom of dish. Arrange 3 noodles over sauce; spread 3/4 cup cheese mixture over noodles. Arrange the acorn squash over cheese mixture; spread 3/4 cup sauce over squash.
- Arrange 3 noodles over sauce; spread 3/4 cup cheese mixture over the noodles. Arrange the spinach mixture over cheese mixture; spread 3/4 cup sauce over spinach mixture.
- Arrange 3 noodles over sauce; spread 1 cup tomato sauce evenly over noodles. Sprinkle with any extra cheese. Cover pan with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.
On the side I had a whole wheat potato roll I toasted with some smart balance and garlic salt ( as close to a garlic roll as I could get 🙂 ) and a very small salad of spinach, artichoke hearts, tomato, with a splash of olive oil & balsamic vinegar on top.
If you have never tried squash in your lasagna I would suggest you try it right now! This dish was amazing and perfect for the fall!!! I have TON of frozen left overs to enjoy for the rest of the season and I am not complaining! 🙂
For dessert I decided it has been way too long since I had frozen yogurt so I got out my Peanut Butter Cup Frozen Yogurt and puffed brown rice for crunch.
Its officially past deadline for the BSI contest, so I want to make sure I have all the entries in. Let me know if you were accidentally left off. I will post the verdict first thing tomorrow morning and will announce the next host. Until then, good night!!
Meghann – Innerworkings of a College Graduate – Balsamic Eggplant Chicken Stacks
Tiffie – Miss Tiffie Munches – Tofu Eggplant Black Bean Burgers
Shannon – Tri to Cook – Eggplant Gnocchi
Gina – The Fitnessista – Eggplant Pizzas
Maggie – Say Yes to Salad – Italian Eggplant Stirfry
Lauren – AthlEAT – White Eggplant Ratatouille over Baked Polenta
Caroline – Reader Submitted – Roasted Eggplant-Tomato-Pepper Tapenade
Erica – Itzy’s Kitchen – Eggplant Meatloaves
Biz – Biggest Diabetic Loser – Ratatouille Soup
Mi – Whole Foods for Me – Eggplant “Fries” with Babaganoush Dip
Sabrina – RhodeyGirl Tests – Rotini with and Eggplant Salsa
Krista – Krista’s Kravings – Eggplant Ravioli