Creative with Left Overs

by Meghann on November 7, 2008

I am usually not the biggest fan of having left overs the day after I cook something, but my left over roasted veggies were dying to creatively be put to use in my lunch today. So instead of having the exact same thing I had last night for dinner, I rearranged the contents and came up with a totally new concept.

I ended up creating a delicious Roasted Vegetable Pizza with left over Black Eyed Peas on the side.

cimg3201

Have I mentioned before how much I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being able to go home on my lunch break to utilize my kitchen?!?! You can’t make this in an office kitchen. J Well I guess you could if you had an oven, which mine doesn’t.

cimg3199

The pizza was quite simple. I came home pre heated the broiler then topped a Flat Out Wrap with Tomato Sauce and the left over veggies. I put the pizza under the broiler and took Abbie out so she could do her business. When I returned to my apartment the pizza was done. I love it when my lunch break works out perfectly like that.

For a mid morning snack, I munched on some Pumpkin Spice Trail Mix. Yum.

cimg3196

And when I returned to my desk after lunch I decided it was time for my Chocolate Detox week to come to an end and caved with a Mint Dark Chocolate Bar one of my co-workers gave me.

cimg3204

She pretty much gave me all of the dark chocolate her children refused to eat after Halloween. So now I have a nice stash at my desk. Luckily I put it in a drawer I never open so hopefully it will be out of sight and out of mind. J

Plans, Plans, Plans

Tonight I am meeting up with some friends at A Movie in the Park Event at Leu Gardens. We usually pack picnic dinners and bring bottles of wine. It is pretty chill and so much fun. You should see how people go all out with their picnic supplies! Tonight they’re showing Dirty Dancing, one of my all time favorite movies!!

I hope everyone else has exciting plans for tonight and if not, go make some! Its Friday night go out and live a little! J

1 Amy November 7, 2008 at 2:30 pm

your evening plans sound so fun! picnic dinner with wine and friends, what a perfect evening. plus i love your lunch & snack. so glad chocolate detox is DUNZO! haha 😀

2 ashley (sweet & natural) November 7, 2008 at 2:44 pm

I love roasting vegetables. I think it brings out their natural sweetness. Totally the best way to eat them! Have fun tonight!

3 Erica November 7, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Love the flat out wraps! I am making pizzas out of them tomorrow night!! Yours looks way fabulous! Have fun at dirty dancing tonight!

4 VeggieGirl November 7, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Your creativity with meals is always fabulous!!

Have fun tonight!!

5 mags November 7, 2008 at 2:58 pm

hi meghann!
did i just make this up or are you going to be at northwestern for the ohio state game this weekend? i could have sworn you said you were coming to evanston (which is where i happen to live!)

6 graduatemeghann November 7, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Hi Mags, Sorry I think you got me confused with someone else. 🙁 I’m in O-town for the weekend.

7 lauren November 7, 2008 at 3:07 pm

You are so so lucky to be able to go home and make lunch/take your dog out. I would LOVE to be able to do that! Have a great night – sounds like an awesome time!

8 seeleelive November 7, 2008 at 3:08 pm

ahhh! that pizza looks really good, but i must say i love the pumpkin spice trail mix too! its a tad too sweet for me in the AM but i enjoy it for dessert 😉 your meals look delicious keep em coming. have a great picnic tonight!

9 jess November 7, 2008 at 3:21 pm

Your night sounds like SO much fun! wine and girlfriends, what more could a girl ask for? Roasted veggie pizza is one of my Favorites- especially since I’m not a cheese fan- and yours looks infinitely better than pre-frozen ones (although i guess amy’s will do in a pinch, haha)- you should package, sell, and make a bundle 😉

10 Maddy November 7, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Aw I love dirty dancing!!! Top 10 movies of all time!

ps- That pizza looks amazing =)

11 Moran November 7, 2008 at 3:28 pm

More brussels sprouts! I am REALLY craving these!

12 HangryPants November 7, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Hi Meghann, I feel like it’s been forver since i commented. I’ve been reading, though. Promise.

I love your pizza idea! Oh and your plea to Tiffany Chobani (that’s what I call her now) is the best. I bet she’ll get to you, too!

Heather

13 coco November 7, 2008 at 3:58 pm

yummy veggie pizza!!! great way to have an enjoyable meal with leftovers!
enjoy your night!

14 Sammie November 7, 2008 at 4:01 pm

What does the J at the end of your post stand for?

15 wholefoodswholeme November 7, 2008 at 4:09 pm

i LOOOVE dirty dancing!!!!!!!!! i’ve listened to that soundtrack so much.

great creativeness with the leftovers!! no better way to use those veggies up 😀

16 Meghann November 7, 2008 at 4:40 pm

Sammie – that’s suspose to be a smilie face 🙂 I guess it just formatted funny in your reader.

17 Lindsey November 7, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Your evening sounds so fun. 🙂 I used to live in Orlando, and wish I had been to a movie night at Leu Gardens while I lived there!

I too utilized my leftovers from last night in a lunch in a different form. Yay for creativity!

And hey, question – are those Flat Out Wraps the ones that are like 90 calories a wrap? If they’re the ones I’m thinking of they’re like $2.69 for 6 at Publix? If so, how are they? I’ve been wanting to try them, esp. the spinach kind.

18 Bridget P November 7, 2008 at 4:49 pm

Yup, I would break my chocolate detox for a mint dark chocolate too!! Totally worth it!

Have a fun night!

19 strongandhealthy November 7, 2008 at 4:55 pm

I love Dirty Dancing! My friends and I used to watch that movie nonstop! Have fun!

20 Allison November 7, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Your pizza looks delicious! I love being able to run home for lunch (although I’m typically too busy to!)

Hope you have fun tonight! 😉

21 littleengine November 7, 2008 at 6:07 pm

the movie in the park sounds like so much fun! and dirty dancing is SUCH a good movie.

your pizza looks incredibly yummy!

22 Melissa S. November 7, 2008 at 6:21 pm

oh, dirty dancing! i love the old version and the new version…but only because diego luna if freak’n hoooooottttt! 😀

23 melissaeats November 7, 2008 at 6:50 pm

ow wow, great idea with the pizza!!! I will have to try that sometime.
So jealous you can go home and make something like that on your lunch!

AHHHHH – I LOVE dirty dancing! My ALL-TIME favorite movie! That and Foot Loose 🙂

24 Megan November 7, 2008 at 7:39 pm

Love your creative use of leftovers! Have fun tonight!

25 gina (fitnessista) November 7, 2008 at 8:40 pm

i’ve never heard of those movie nights! maybe they’ll have one next time i’m in town. dirty dancing is one of my favorite movies ever!!
have a great night 😀

26 Sharon November 7, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Delicious!!

27 caitlin November 7, 2008 at 9:32 pm

miss you! im going through withdrawls!