more ยป" />

I Love Vegetables!

by Meghann on November 6, 2008

When I was younger I was a very picky eater. (Ok, well I’m still a picky eater) But I was always picky about odd things. For instance I never liked spaghetti, peanut butter & jelly or macaroni & cheese. Strange, right? I hated ordering off the kids menu, not just because I hated being considered a little kid, but I never really liked anything the menu had on it. My parents hated it, I always had to have these expensive meals that I could never even eat half of.

On the flip side of disapproving of regular generic food, I loved the odd creations my Dad made and I loved the assorted vegetables he cooked. I grew up with Brussels sprouts, spinach, sweet potatoes, eggplant and broccoli as my favorite foods. What other kids would never touch, I would love and relish in. In fact I took pleasure in enjoying things others hated, I guess it made me feel special.

Over the years my taste buds have evolved and I learned to appreciate the things I once I hated, but vegetables are still my favorite food group. I think in the past year my passion for fresh veggies has expanded to whole other level. Each week more then 75% of my shopping cart contains fresh veggies and fruit and I would not have it any other way.

Tonight’s dinner revolves around my love for vegetables.

CIMG3184

I oven roasted eggplant, butternut squash, rutabaga and brussel sprouts at 415 for 20 minutes. I seasoned the veggies with lots of pepper, garlic salt and oregano.

CIMG3183

I knew my whole meal could not be vegetables so I had some brown rice and black eye peas in the center to round the meal out. I felt the dish needed one more element so I added some tomato sauce. The sauce really did the trick to combine everything perfectly.

CIMG3185

Many of you were asking how the rutabaga was last night and it was really good, but I think I prefer oven roasted as I had it tonight. It was really, really good! A new favorite root vegetable!

Dessert was a repeat, but it was a good repeat! I enjoyed my dessert so much last night that I knew I had to recreate it while I still had fresh pineapple rings, and really how often do I really have fresh pineapple rings?

CIMG3187

Same as before, I grilled the pineapple on the george foreman, then topped it with fate free cool whip and crushed Quaker Oatmeal Squares.

My lunch did not do as great as a job with hold myself over to dinner and around 4:00 I caved and popped a 100 calorie bag of Kettle Popcorn.

CIMG3181

My supervisor thought my little bag of popcorn was ‘so cute.’  ๐Ÿ™‚

Tomorrow is Friday!! I have a super busy weekend ahead of me, but it should be fun!

1 VeggieGirl November 6, 2008 at 9:42 pm

HOORAY FOR VEGETABLES GALORE!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Enjoy your evening – the weekend is on its way!!

2 Megan November 6, 2008 at 9:52 pm

I love your veggie filled dinner! It looks delicious!

3 Laura November 6, 2008 at 9:58 pm

Those bags of popcorn are such a lifesaver sometimes! They are so satisfying for 100 calories.

4 Lee (seelivelee) November 6, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Girl—-TGIF thats all i gotta say! dinner looks freakin awesome…YUM!

5 Melissa S. November 6, 2008 at 10:16 pm

what a great dinner!!!! amazing assortment of veggies!!!

6 jess November 6, 2008 at 10:20 pm

That’s cause it IS so cute! Tried a little workout inspired by your bootcamp today- wow, those reverse crunches kicked my butt; I haven’t done many in quite some time. Thanks so much- this bootcamp/circuit idea is going to be one I keep coming back to, I can tell already! Also, I’m going to the store tonight and going to keep an eye out for rutebega- but you def made me want brussel sprouts ๐Ÿ™‚

Have an amazing friday!!!

7 Julz November 6, 2008 at 10:24 pm

As a kid, my FAVE food was Broccoli my mom would make with garlic and Soy Garden (Earth Balance brand buttasub). My mom is the ULTIMATE healthy cook, especially with her veggies. SHE IS UNBELIEVABLE and whenever she says that she is making veggies I GET SO EXCITED, as I always have. As a wee little one, as already stated, my fave food was Broccoli, but I also always LOVED carrots… L.O.V.E.D. And Sweet Potatoes (we never had reg. white potatoes, ever… I’ve never had one. WHOOPS!) My mom would make Oven roasted ground turkey (Just turkey nothing else) and we would have THAT in a bowl, with some chickpeas on top(cold) and then home-made roasted garlic/roasted vegetable tomato sauce, and on top of that would be a mound of defrosted mixed veggies (peas, corn, carrots, etc) in a mixture of RF Mayo, paprika, pepper, and yogurt. It was HEAVENLY. The diff flavors and temps were DREAMY <333 Never big on pasta, we always had veggies with our tomato sauce, too! LOOOVE THOSE VEGGIES <3

8 Andrea November 6, 2008 at 11:45 pm

Mmmmmm brussel sprouts…one of my favorites! I love all veggies, but I don’t think I’ve ever tried rutebega…I’ll be looking for it this weekend at the grocery store. I love me some roots!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Great work on the blog, Meghann!

9 Bridget November 7, 2008 at 12:03 am

Those veggies look so amazing!! YUM!! I’m with you on the large percentage of fresh fruits and veggies at the store each week…I gotta have my fresh produce!

I feel like ive missed so many posts the last couple days!! I’ll catch up soon ๐Ÿ™‚

10 Maggie November 7, 2008 at 1:24 am

Dinner looks SO SO good. I love lots of veggies ๐Ÿ™‚

11 jess November 7, 2008 at 1:34 am

Ummm, yeah. Brussel sprouts definitely made an appearance in my dinner tonight solely because of you. Congratulations- you have a legitimate affect on something in california!

12 Sharon November 7, 2008 at 2:20 am

The bag is cute! I wouldn’t mind some popcorn now either! -lol-

Delicious eats!

13 wholefoodswholeme November 7, 2008 at 7:13 am

gorgeous meal!!! i’ve never been a very picky eater but when i was young i was always mad about veggies, and maybe i liked being “different” as well ๐Ÿ˜‰

14 Sammie November 7, 2008 at 7:33 am

I was also a veggie & fruit lover as a kid. And I hated to eat meat – that hasn’t changed much. My mom always promoted healthy foods – I am so thankful she did. Your dinner looks so delicious – next time I am at the store I a going to buy brussel sprouts and a rutabaga. I think sweet potatoes make every meal taste amazing – I had one for dinner last night too. You are very creative. Happy Friday!!

15 Lindsay November 7, 2008 at 8:15 am

i was the same way wiht not being a total fan of veggies and now i cant get enough of them – funny how your tastes change (for the better) over the years ๐Ÿ™‚

16 runningwithfood November 7, 2008 at 8:38 am

I completely understand your hate of certain foods when you were younger … my worst was spaghetti. My parents would try their best to get me to eat it and eventually I would end up crying my way out of it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Your veggie bowl looks fantastic! There is just something about roasted vegetables that is so comforting!