Substitute Lunch

by Meghann on November 5, 2008

I was very disappointed last night when I made it back to my apartment and realized the wonderful pork left overs I had planned to eat for lunch today, were still sitting safe and sound in Caitlin’s refrigerator. L Unfortunately, I would not have time to retrieve them until I see her on Saturday, so I told her to enjoy the pork for her lunch today.

With my lunch plans then up in the air, I decided to dig into the trusty freezer for some other form of left overs to enjoy. I came across some Ultimate Vegetable Soup and decided that would be the perfect substitute.

cimg3148

I love how soup holds up perfectly in the freezer. It was still just as good as it was fresh off of the stove top a couple of weeks ago.

cimg3150

On the side I was craving carbs so I decided to make up some quick Homemade Pita Fries.

cimg3152

I cut a whole wheat pita into strips, sprayed them with some olive oil and garlic salt, then placed them under the broiler for a couple of minutes on each side.

Not exactly Stacey’s Pita Chips, but a great quick substitution and they were perfect for soup dipping. Yum!

cimg3153

When my stomach started to grumble around 10:00, I ate some fresh pineapple and strawberries.

cimg3146

Now its time to get back to work. Have a great rest of the day!

1 Erica November 5, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Ow! Lunch looks so good! I love making pita chips- so simple and delicious! I hope you have a good afternoon!!

2 jess November 5, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Yum- looks like a good substitute (albeit not quite what you had been looking forward to). Sometimes I find that soup is even better after being frozen for a while because the flavors really get a chance to meld- especially of the veggie variety! I love having something to dip in my soup, too. Sometimes I’ll even use celery because it’s the perfect little scooping shape, haha. Can’t wait to try your bootcamp soon (although maybe tomorrow- a paper takes priority, unfortunately). I think it’s probably gonna kick my butt, though! Worth it! Hope your day goes quickly 😉

3 Maggie November 5, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Looks like a great sub! I like the pita chips 🙂

4 VeggieGirl November 5, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Looks like a fabulous substitute lunch to me!! 😀

5 Amy November 5, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Great, resourceful lunch! You always manage to make a great meal, no matter what 😀 I want to try to make those chips, thanks for the great idea !

6 Jordan November 5, 2008 at 3:53 pm

I dunno why, but your post made me feel like baking. Go look what you inspired =P

7 lauren November 5, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Your soup looks great and I love the quick pita chip idea!

8 Amanda November 5, 2008 at 4:52 pm

argh .. i am a bottomless pit today. i attribute it to the fact that i just also got my period. can anyone verify the connection/come up with a brilliant way to satisfy my hunger cravings?!

9 graduatemeghann November 5, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Amanda – Period = good reason to be a bottomless pit. I suggest easting nuts, those always seem to fill me up and stop the snacking madness 🙂

10 wholefoodswholeme November 5, 2008 at 7:47 pm

definitely looks like a good substitute! mmm pita chips.