Stuffed Chicken for One

by Meghann on November 5, 2008

Weather in Orlando has been soo dreary the past couple of days. Each morning the weather man promises its going to be 80 degrees and sunny, instead it has been cloudy and chilly. It almost feels like winter instead of fall. Oh sun, where have you disappeared to? Will you return before the weekend? Please say yes.

This dreary weather has me craving comforting soup, but since I had soup for lunch already I thought I would save that craving for another day. Instead I thought I would create my Perfectly Portioned for One meal of the week.

This week I decided to use a single chicken breast as my inspiration for this meal. Once I decided on the chicken I dug up some random fillings from the fridge and came up with an easy stuffed chicken breast. Enjoy!

CIMG3160

• Balsalmic Vinegar
  • Olive Oil

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

2. Cut the chicken breast in the fattest part to create a pocket

3. Coat the chicken bread with the panko bread crumbs mixed with seasonings

4. In a separate bowl combine the rest of the ingredients, including seasonings

5. Take a couple of spoonfuls of the filling and place it into the chicken breast pocket

6. Cover the chicken loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes

7. Remove the tin foil and bake for 5 more minutes, or until the juices run clear.

The stuffed chicken breast is so easy to do and you can really substitute anything for the filling. I prefer fresh basil, but since its out of season I had to make do with the dried stuff.

CIMG3168

On the side I decided to attempt cooking with my first rutabaga.

CIMG3165

I only used about half and have plans for the rest at the end of the week. I followed these instructions on how to cook it on this webpage. Now that I am familiar with the taste and texture of the rutabaga I feel I will be more confident with experimenting with the vegetable in the future.

And for something green on my plate I oven roasted some brussel sprouts while I was cooking the chicken.

CIMG3164

The best way to have brussel sprouts is oven roasted with pepper and salt on it. It’s so simple yet sooooo good!

My afternoon snack was a fun mish mosh of cravings I combined in one bag for an inventive trail mix of sorts.

CIMG3154

The ‘trail  mix’ contained: Brazil Nuts, Pecans, Puffed Brown Rice and Annie’s Honey Graham Bunnies.

I was going back and forth on what to have for dessert and then decided I wanted to utilize my fresh pineapple in the fridge. So I grilled two rings on the George Forman and topped it with some fat Free Cool Whip. For a little crunch I crumbled some Quaker Oatmeal Squares on top.

CIMG3169

It was simple, fruity and delicious. The perfect dessert.

Now I am full and satisfied. Time to get some rest to make up for my lack there of last night. Good night 🙂

1 Megan November 5, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Love your dinner. I would have never thought to put artichokes and feta in stuffing…yum!

Yummy dessert!

2 Rose November 5, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Oh my, I must make this sometime! Great idea.

3 Laura November 5, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I need to try roasted brussels sprouts again. I’ve only attempted them once and I think the oven was too hot because they were starting to burn, but were still hard and un-cooked. The chicken looks yummy too!

4 Lindsay November 5, 2008 at 10:06 pm

what a fab looking dinner!!!! i think i will make this for two 🙂 just need to pick up some artichokes n feta now! yum!!! you should start a cookbook w/ your awesome ideas!

ps. bill says thank you for the early bday wishes hehe

5 VeggieGirl November 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm

Mmm, roasted brussels sprouts!!!

6 strongandhealthy November 5, 2008 at 10:45 pm

Wow, that chicken looks amazing!

7 Melissa S. November 5, 2008 at 10:49 pm

i’m totally with you on the weather…the weather man says it’s supposed to get up to 90 this weekend though…i’m way excited for that! november at the beach! LOL!

great dinner tonight too! i really need to try brussel sprouts for the first time…i’m so scared though! they have such a negative reputation!!

8 Sharon November 5, 2008 at 11:04 pm

Wow, everything looks great! Yum!

9 eatingbender November 5, 2008 at 11:22 pm

I love these perfectly portioned meals — such a great idea!! And I don’t think you can get much better than a feta and artichoke stuffed chicken 🙂 YUM. I’ve also never tried rutabaga. Gosh, I could just go on about all the food in this post – but I’ll quit while I’m ahead so that I stop drooling!!

10 Alexia November 5, 2008 at 11:42 pm

What a yummy looking dinner!

11 Erin November 6, 2008 at 12:15 am

I can’t wait for your cookbook!

12 Jenny November 6, 2008 at 12:51 am

Yum! I love your portioned meals, such a great idea!

13 jess November 6, 2008 at 1:07 am

I feel you on not being able to sleep because of election fun and excitement, among other things. I was just talking to my friend and we discovered that I haven’t gotten more that 4 hours of sleep a night for the past FOUR nights- NOT okay. Any suggestions?

Your perfectly portioned for one meals are some of my favorite posts!! How’d you end up liking the rutebega? Would you do it differently next time? Thanks for all the inspiration!

14 wholefoodswholeme November 6, 2008 at 2:45 am

you need to publish a “cooking for one” cookbook. i would buy it in a heartbeat. i’ve never tried brussel sprouts myself – in england, they are the most “feared” and “disliked” veg, maybe that’s why!

15 Erica November 6, 2008 at 7:22 am

Hey! That dinner looks so freaking good! I think Josh would love that! I finally came up with an idea for BSI! I am going food shopping on Friday and plan to make the BSI on Saturday!

16 gina (fitnessista) November 6, 2008 at 9:17 am

the dinner looks delicious! i’ll have to remember that one when the pilot comes back– he loves stuffed chicken.
i still haven’t made fresh brussel spouts.. they look amazing!
have a great day!

17 ttfn300 November 6, 2008 at 9:19 am

ooh, tasty! never tried a rutabega 🙂 can’t wait to see what else you do with it!!

18 Elina (Healthy and Sane) November 6, 2008 at 9:24 am

How did the rutabaga taste? I just bought one a few days ago, inspired by an article in Eating Well, but I’m scared to cook it 🙂

The chicken looks delicious, btw…

19 graduatemeghann November 6, 2008 at 9:42 am

Thank you guys! I will get working on that cookbook 😉

The rutabaga was actually really good prepared as in the above instructions. It was simple, easy and reminded me of a yellow potato of sorts. I am going to try cooking it another way tonight, so check back to see how that goes. 🙂

20 Allison November 6, 2008 at 10:46 am

HMMM that rutabaga looks really cool!

21 lauren November 6, 2008 at 12:46 pm

the chicken looks GREAT!!!

{ 1 trackback }