by Meghann on November 4, 2008

Happy Election Day!!

I was so excited on my way into work this morning. I drove by two separate polling places and both were bursting at the seams. There were cars parked in the median of a major four lane highway and people dodging traffic just so they could vote. I never felt more proud to be an American then on my drive.

It is hard to believe after over a year of political ups and downs, that the time is finally upon us to make the final decision on who will rule our country over the next four years. It is almost like Christmas, you get so excited and built up over the anticipation and love opening the present, but feel a little sad when it is all over. What am I going to talk about with all my friends, colleagues and random strangers now? Hopefully my choice will win and we can begin talking about all the great things he is doing for our country.

I am planning on leaving work early today to do my civic duty and vote. This is my second presidential election I have been in age to vote in. I voted in my first back in college through an absentee ballot and sadly my choice did not win. This year, however, I have a strong feeling my candidate is going to kick some serious booty. I can not wait to see how it will unfold!

If you have not voted yet, then what are you waiting for?!?!?!?! Go out and VOTE! It is your privilege as an American to vote and you should take that duty with honor. The polls close at 7:00 and as long as you are in line by 7:00 you can vote! So get to it!

OK, now that I have gotten all of the political stuff out of the way I should get back to running and food! Two of my favorite things (and another topic I talk about with friends, colleagues and random strangers J )

Running this morning started out pretty windy, but once the sun rose the wind died down and the temp was perfect. I am so glad the weather is getting back to normal Florida fall patterns, rather then freezing cold out of no where patterns.

Distance: 5.3 miles

Time: 54 mins 13 secs

I wanted to do a Red, White and Blue Breakfast, but I did not have any blueberries so I went with a Red and Yellow breakfast. J Which are actually Florida’s sate colors if that makes a difference?

cimg3106

I had ½ cup of Kashi U, ½ cup Kashi Honey Sunshine, 4 Strawberries and the last of a can of Pineapple that needed to be eaten.

cimg31071

Not exactly patriotic, but it worked for me. J

Now I have to get working so I can leave on the earlier side. Have a great election day everyone! Don’t forget to VOTE!!!

1 VeggieGirl November 4, 2008 at 10:11 am

Mmm, delish breakfast!! 😀

Happy Tuesday!!

2 jess November 4, 2008 at 10:13 am

no matter who wins i have a feeling this election is going to be talked about for Quite a while. fingers crossed for a positive outcome. perhaps the best thing to come out of these four (eight) years is that people’s desire to Participate and Affect change has been renewed. it’s my first presidential election- wooooo!

3 caitlin November 4, 2008 at 10:22 am

vote if you’re educated about politics! LOL i always want to throw in that caveat!

see you later. i will likely be intoxicated. 😛

4 Megan November 4, 2008 at 10:23 am

Love your breakfast! Have a great day!

5 wholefoodswholeme November 4, 2008 at 11:11 am

your breakfast looks delish anyway 😀 so great to read about your excitement, and sense of pride.

6 Melissa November 4, 2008 at 11:16 am

I agree – everyone is saying how they can’t wait for this annoying lecture to be over, etc but I’m the opposite. I actually don’t want it to be over! I am SO excited about today i can’t even sit still. On my way to work at 6:45, I drove past my polling site and the line was already wrapped around the whole building and they were directing traffic. I LOVE it!

7 caitlin November 4, 2008 at 11:21 am

i am so nervous i feel like im going to throw up!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 Betsy November 4, 2008 at 11:43 am

so excited!!!! on my walk to the subway this morning, i passed by 2 voting lines. it got me so pumped!! i already sent in my absentee ballot (my Obama vote counts a LOT more in Ohio than New York), so I don’t get to really do the whole process, but at least i voted.

9 bobbi November 4, 2008 at 11:44 am

cute breakfast, how appropriate! I too had a long line, will have to vote in an hour:)

10 Jordan November 4, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Man, I’m sad pineapple is going out of season. I guess I’ll have to switch over to canned, too. I’ll miss my fresh stuff <3

11 seeleelive November 4, 2008 at 1:17 pm

your post is so inspirational!!! i never realized that seeing all the crowds gave us a reason to be proud to be an american, not frustrated that the line would take so long! what a beautiful way to turn around the perspective….way to go!!

12 catms916 November 4, 2008 at 1:36 pm

I cannot wait to cast my vote tonight! The polls are open in NYC until 9pm, but hopefully I can get in and out quickly and not be running up to the deadline.

13 caitlin November 4, 2008 at 1:45 pm

meghann – no, i dont think i do…. hahah i think i have had enough sugar for the day. 🙂 and i plan to consume mass quanities of alcohol tonight, anyways 🙂

14 Emily November 4, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Happy Election Day to you!
We are going to a friends place later to watch the results start to come through, and eat US foods. Your election will effect the world and we are holding our breath for you!
emily (in NZ) 🙂